Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hencoe posted:

Like this whole shitshow wont sink attendance in the future. Lol

I doubt it will. There aren't a whole lot of high profile large attendance events in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm trying to go Primaris only so I'm less inclined to do a dread outside of a Redemptor.

I hadn't considered the emphasis on larger squads for the +1 wound stratagems, but you're right that can play a significant role. I was thinking more in terms of splitting up the units so I had a ton of ObSec options, but I suspect that's not really a great idea.

Give it a mkX helmet? It also helps you having no squads with long enough range to hold back field objectives without being wasted points.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
There's a moment in one of those clips of the cheating dude where he looks up at the camera, did anyone else catch that

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Ugh, I just can't make up my mind about which army to start with. I could really use some help from people with more experience. Here are my criteria, in order of importance:

1. Looks cool and is fun to paint
2. Sweet lore and fluff
3. A faction that can be competitive. Consistently losing isn't fun no matter how neat your mans are.
4. Not a horde playstyle army (see #1)
5. $$$ to field a decent army is not too high

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Thousand Sons - the models I think look coolest, and they have the best fluff I've encountered so far. However, I don't really care for Tzaangors and it looks like in the current meta that's like 90% of their force. They also seem like they might be one of the more expensive armies and they don't have any GW value boxes.

Deathwatch - I like the idea behind the Deathwatch, and the diversity of models is very appealing. They also have a Start Collecting! box, which is nice. I don't really know a lot about how they play or how competitive they might be.

Dark Angels - same as Deathwatch, except no Start Collecting! box. I guess I could buy a vanilla space marines box and upgrade/convert it though? I don't really understand how any of that works.

Drukhari - I mean, sadistic space pirates.

??? - are my criteria screaming towards an army I haven't listed here? Suggestions welcome.

Please make up my mind for me.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are GTs in any way affiliated with Games Workshop?

No. They run an official GT (going to heat 3 in Dec, woo) but anything can call itself a "GT" and it has nothing to do with them.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mikey Purp posted:

I spit in your drink, so you'll be playing Death Guard.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mikey Purp posted:

Ugh, I just can't make up my mind about which army to start with. I could really use some help from people with more experience. Here are my criteria, in order of importance:

2. Sweet lore and fluff
3. A faction that can be competitive. Consistently losing isn't fun no matter how neat your mans are.

Thousand Sons - the models I think look coolest, and they have the best fluff I've encountered so far. However, I don't really care for Tzaangors and it looks like in the current meta that's like 90% of their force. They also seem like they might be one of the more expensive armies and they don't have any GW value boxes.

Deathwatch - I like the idea behind the Deathwatch, and the diversity of models is very appealing. They also have a Start Collecting! box, which is nice. I don't really know a lot about how they play or how competitive they might be.

Dark Angels - same as Deathwatch, except no Start Collecting! box. I guess I could buy a vanilla space marines box and upgrade/convert it though? I don't really understand how any of that works.

??? - are my criteria screaming towards an army I haven't listed here? Suggestions welcome.

Based on your criteria, I'd go with Drukhari.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

2. Sweet lore and fluff

Unless you're playing competitively, any army can find a way to win, depending on scenario and all.

I love my Imperial Fist army visually and fluff-wise, and I've had pretty good success on the table with them, but I find their stand-and-shoot strategy a little boring lately, and through a couple slick deals, I got a bunch of Primaris and Deathwatch and I'm playing my first match with them tonight.

They might suck, but I'm gonna play aggressively and move fast, something I havent done before in 40k and that's exciting.

I wouldn't stress too much about being competitive, there's a lot of people playing better armies that are just bad players. I'd go with a style you prefer, but also an army you want to keep working on and assembling. Tough call.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

chutche2 posted:

Cheaters should clearly be banned, except Panascope.

Excellent opinion.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Drukhari are loving great and super flexible, play them.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
People who don't own Drukhari wish they did.

(Its me. I am the people I am talking about.)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dexefiend posted:

People who don't own Drukhari wish they did.

(Its me. I am the people I am talking about.)

Pain Engines are never in stock 😢

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

Pain Engines are never in stock 😢

Really? Every store around here has like 5 of the bastard things, yet no Raiders, Wracks or Hamonculli.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mandrakes. Get Mandrakes

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hi I'm a lizard tank:

Hi I'm lizard tau:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Tau should've been expanded further as a multi-racial alien coalition instead of just getting more and bigger robots. Then they might even be kind of cool. :colbert:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Give it a mkX helmet? It also helps you having no squads with long enough range to hold back field objectives without being wasted points.

36" should be enough to cover at least some of the board.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

The Tau should've been expanded further as a multi-racial alien coalition instead of just getting more and bigger robots. Then they might even be kind of cool. :colbert:

I wanted them to be the 40K version of the old Dogs of War.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hi I'm a lizard tank:

Hi I'm lizard tau:

The addition of Lizardmen improves everything, great job!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Safety Factor posted:

YES.

I really like some of the converted Human Auxiliaries you can find floating around, and the Vespids and Kroot hint at a lot of unrealized potential.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hi I'm a lizard tank:

This reminds me a lot of dino-riders (which is to say it is completely awesome)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Safety Factor posted:

drat right. It would have synched with the fluff perfectly.

Kind of surprised GW didn't lean into it more with the models and rules tbh.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Cessna posted:

YES.

I really like some of the converted Human Auxiliaries you can find floating around, and the Vespids and Kroot hint at a lot of unrealized potential.

You could do it as a Tau Auxilia codex, and have it be similar to the Dark Eldar codex. Human, Kroot and Vespid detachments would each get 3-4 subfaction choices, and you'd have some additional options that could be run in any of them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Mikey Purp posted:

(...)

I'm going to buck the trend and say go with Dark Angels. You're just starting out, and they'll be far more forgiving in all of assembly, paint, and playstyle. Lower model count, higher saves, simpler colors.

In lieu of a Start Collecting set, I'd find the Primaris half of Dark Imperium. It won't be able to be upgraded any of the fancy shoulder pads, but that's not really necessary just starting out. It will have the Dark Angels transfers, though, so it'll be easy enough to make them obviously Dark Angels.

After that, I'd look into expanding with a couple boxes of Scouts, a Dark Talon, Dark Shroud, some more Hellblasters, and Chapter Master Azrael. The Dark Angel Hellblaster kit is a good buy, as it includes 2 of the DA upgrade sprues at a very discounted price.

A good person who does video battle reports is The Glacial Geek, and he has tons of batreps featuring his Dark Angels.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc2y1nPhG9Rmiy0g31S2ijg

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

It's good that they've banned him. The way they've done it is not. Merely changing the order of taking responsibility for their own gently caress-up before their big tough post showing how they have zero tolerance for cheaters would be completely fine. Trust me, I've known Harrison as a cheater a lot longer than most people have, and I'm not sad to see him go.

Yeah, I mean the other reason that it feels “off” is that, given Alex H has recently founded a company looking to run 40k events he is literally one of their competitors, so firing a massive torpedo at him just after they screwed up their event looks incredibly childish. I’m not sorry to see a cheater get their comeuppance (especially given my recent experience) but it is not a good look for them to do this now.

I should listen to the Allies of Convenience episode, but I was practically shouting at my iPad listening to Chapter Tactics earlier as they went down the whole “oh it probably wasn’t as bad as it looked” and “plenty of the complainers weren’t even there” and I’m like “BUT NEITHER WERE YOU!”.

The one salient point they did raise is that, while on paper it sounds ridiculous to pay £50 for the event given the terrain, it probably wasn’t an actual cut and run scam because holy poo poo are London venues expensive. I used to do MTG judging for The Games Club in London, who ran gigantic mini-con style pre-releases three times a year, and I had a look into the venue they used to use, and that’s listed as £3.5K a day for conferences and £6.5K a day for “Exhibitions”, which I assume is anything without a fixed guest list, so probably would count the LGT.

I do wonder if the organisers looked at that venue mind (The Royal National Hotel near Euston) - from memory the big Games Club pre-releases used to have ~300 players in the main event flights and that used only about half the big room, even after significant space was allocated for traders and the event desk. 6x4 tables are a bastard to set up, but I want to say I think you could have fit the main event in the big room, and there are plenty of other rooms in the hotel they could have used for the smaller events. Even though WotC’s idiotic policies killed off the big Games Club events, the venue is still used for the London Gaming Market (who I have to assume started using it because the games club did, given that I remember when the owner of multi million pound business Magic Madhouse was a random guy with a big trade binder at the GC events), so really any sensible organiser looking to run gaming events in London should look there first, especially because it’s got phenomenal transport links and is literally in a reasonably priced hotel that people could stay in.

The sad thing is that I don’t suspect the organisers did, because while they have posted a sort-of-apology on their Facebook page, one of their attempts to justify the venue problems was that they needed a venue “worthy of the LGT” and that really makes me want to just grab them and scream are you on the same planet as the rest of us. The “Olympic Stadium” sounds cool on paper, but it’s just an over priced event space miles from bloody anywhere with policies that are direct anathema to happy geeks, like “no outside food” and “mandatory bag checks”. Sure, the function rooms at the Royal National are boring basic function rooms, but you can bring in food, they’re near shops and sensible travel links and they (at least ten years ago) had very competitively priced beer.

I, and I think I speak for my fellow card-carrying nerds here, would much rather go to a faintly tacky venue with breathing room, cheap beer and good transport than the Olympic Stadium. The Olympic Stadium was a terrible place and we shouldn’t go back there,

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Drukhari update from Lawrence Baker on TTT. TLDR:

e: oh right, his list.
1x Spearhead KoBH (arch 3x ravager)
1x Battalion Flayed Skull. (2x arch, 3x Trueborn, 3x Kabalites, 3x mandrakes, 7x venom)

1. Doesn't think Drukhari are top-top competitive armies for most tournies because of Obsec, Maelstrom, and progressive scoring. Which is kind of counter to how drukhari want to play.
2. Experimented with mandrakes, he's lukewarm on them in the future, wishes they deployed like eldar rangers.
3. Now thinks Flayed Skull or Obsidian Rose are the best obsessions. Flayed skull > poisoned tongue because tournies offer tons of cover saves. Really looking at OR
4. Tried 3 trueborn venom squads, now thinks it was too many eggs in too few baskets
5. Talos list is good because move out and sit on objectives, but invests too many points in them and doesn't get enough troops.
6. Loves shredders because so many horde armies, but the 12" range is a tough cookie
7. KoBH + 3 ravagers is mandatory. Too good not to take.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 22, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

One_Wing posted:

Yeah, I mean the other reason that it feels “off” is that, given Alex H has recently founded a company looking to run 40k events he is literally one of their competitors, so firing a massive torpedo at him just after they screwed up their event looks incredibly childish. I’m not sorry to see a cheater get their comeuppance (especially given my recent experience) but it is not a good look for them to do this now.

I should listen to the Allies of Convenience episode, but I was practically shouting at my iPad listening to Chapter Tactics earlier as they went down the whole “oh it probably wasn’t as bad as it looked” and “plenty of the complainers weren’t even there” and I’m like “BUT NEITHER WERE YOU!”.

The one salient point they did raise is that, while on paper it sounds ridiculous to pay £50 for the event given the terrain, it probably wasn’t an actual cut and run scam because holy poo poo are London venues expensive. I used to do MTG judging for The Games Club in London, who ran gigantic mini-con style pre-releases three times a year, and I had a look into the venue they used to use, and that’s listed as £3.5K a day for conferences and £6.5K a day for “Exhibitions”, which I assume is anything without a fixed guest list, so probably would count the LGT.

I do wonder if the organisers looked at that venue mind (The Royal National Hotel near Euston) - from memory the big Games Club pre-releases used to have ~300 players in the main event flights and that used only about half the big room, even after significant space was allocated for traders and the event desk. 6x4 tables are a bastard to set up, but I want to say I think you could have fit the main event in the big room, and there are plenty of other rooms in the hotel they could have used for the smaller events. Even though WotC’s idiotic policies killed off the big Games Club events, the venue is still used for the London Gaming Market (who I have to assume started using it because the games club did, given that I remember when the owner of multi million pound business Magic Madhouse was a random guy with a big trade binder at the GC events), so really any sensible organiser looking to run gaming events in London should look there first, especially because it’s got phenomenal transport links and is literally in a reasonably priced hotel that people could stay in.

The sad thing is that I don’t suspect the organisers did, because while they have posted a sort-of-apology on their Facebook page, one of their attempts to justify the venue problems was that they needed a venue “worthy of the LGT” and that really makes me want to just grab them and scream are you on the same planet as the rest of us. The “Olympic Stadium” sounds cool on paper, but it’s just an over priced event space miles from bloody anywhere with policies that are direct anathema to happy geeks, like “no outside food” and “mandatory bag checks”. Sure, the function rooms at the Royal National are boring basic function rooms, but you can bring in food, they’re near shops and sensible travel links and they (at least ten years ago) had very competitively priced beer.

I, and I think I speak for my fellow card-carrying nerds here, would much rather go to a faintly tacky venue with breathing room, cheap beer and good transport than the Olympic Stadium. The Olympic Stadium was a terrible place and we shouldn’t go back there,

Honestly after listening to the podcast, the dude is out of his loving gourd. His solution to everything is to do it bigger and better, while handwaving the actual graft of achieving that with "we'll have to work harder and longer" but apparently no plans to give up his current lifestyle of spending 90% of his time in the Far East. I have no confidence at all that they'll get any better.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Corrode posted:

Honestly after listening to the podcast, the dude is out of his loving gourd. His solution to everything is to do it bigger and better, while handwaving the actual graft of achieving that with "we'll have to work harder and longer" but apparently no plans to give up his current lifestyle of spending 90% of his time in the Far East. I have no confidence at all that they'll get any better.

I’m amusing myself by imagining the very nice but also brutally and mercilessly competent guy who ran the games club events walking through the LGT criticising everything.

On saturday morning while we were all waiting for the round to start I saw BB Harry holding court and overheard words to the effect of “I’ll try not to be too smug about this”.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

36" should be enough to cover at least some of the board.

Speaking from 11 months of experience with primaris, it isnt.

36" is a motherfucker when they're marching towards you as pretty much all primaris units should but it only works so well for my dark angels nemesis because he has 3 squads of sororitas camping back field objectives while his 21-24 heavy hellblasters move into position, and the reason he does this is because of the time I ground him into a fine paste by making him come to me while pelting him with 48" range guns.

You want either something cheap enough that you dont mind expending it by sticking it on an objective, or something with a long enough range to meaningfully contribute, and 100pts of deathwatch intercessors are neither of those.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

One_Wing posted:

I’m amusing myself by imagining the very nice but also brutally and mercilessly competent guy who ran the games club events walking through the LGT criticising everything.

On saturday morning while we were all waiting for the round to start I saw BB Harry holding court and overheard words to the effect of “I’ll try not to be too smug about this”.

Yeah I had a good chat with Harry. I don't think he's exactly concerned by the competition.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Mandrakes. Get Mandrakes

Better still, get the new eyeless mandrakes that accidentally got put into the AoS range.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Corrode posted:

Yeah I had a good chat with Harry. I don't think he's exactly concerned by the competition.

Everything about my Battlefield Birmingham experience was so much better than the LGT that it isn’t even funny. A 400+ person massive GT is definitely something I’d like us to have, but the sane way to do it would be to run it in Birmingham at one of the NEC venues. If GW want that to happen maybe they should talk to Harry.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

36" is a motherfucker when they're marching towards you as pretty much all primaris units should but it only works so well for my dark angels nemesis because he has 3 squads of sororitas camping back field objectives while his 21-24 heavy hellblasters move into position, and the reason he does this is because of the time I ground him into a fine paste by making him come to me while pelting him with 48" range guns.

You want either something cheap enough that you dont mind expending it by sticking it on an objective, or something with a long enough range to meaningfully contribute, and 100pts of deathwatch intercessors are neither of those.

Makes sense. Long term I plan on adding some Knights, but short term I really don't want to add anything that isn't Primaris. The natural solution would be to tack on a cheap guard battalion.

I could drop some Lascannon Tarantulas back there at 70 points each.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

One_Wing posted:

Everything about my Battlefield Birmingham experience was so much better than the LGT that it isn’t even funny. A 400+ person massive GT is definitely something I’d like us to have, but the sane way to do it would be to run it in Birmingham at one of the NEC venues. If GW want that to happen maybe they should talk to Harry.

Think I’m just gonna stick with our little local tournaments. Everything about the LGT sounds poo poo.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Serotonin posted:

Think I’m just gonna stick with our little local tournaments. Everything about the LGT sounds poo poo.

I am massively jealous of your awesome LGS. They are good people. The LGT organisers are not.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hi I'm a lizard tank:

Hi I'm lizard tau:

These guys are awesome and you are awesome by extension.

It still really annoys me that the Tau of all armies is one of the armies with the least soup/subfactions to play with. The fact that the upcoming imperium vs. Tau box boasts a new robot only puts salt in that wound.

Even if they dont want to expand Tau ruleswise, it would at least be nice if they made a conversion set that gave you guardsman/sslyth/jakaero/ork/blabla torsos with tau symbols & tau weapon-holding hands to serve as fire warriors.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Artum posted:

What are your thoughts on the heavy stalker/heavy incinerator combo for a DW intercessor squad that is going to camp back-field. That's 42" w/ Kraken. With either an aggressor, to maintain range, or an inceptor so you can fall back and still shoot after getting charged.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Makes sense. Long term I plan on adding some Knights, but short term I really don't want to add anything that isn't Primaris. The natural solution would be to tack on a cheap guard battalion.

I could drop some Lascannon Tarantulas back there at 70 points each.

I mostly do it with a predator and whirlwind but deathwatch dont get those, and a vendread is better than a non-chronus predator anyway hence my recommendation.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

bonds0097 posted:

What are your thoughts on the heavy stalker/heavy incinerator combo for a DW intercessor squad that is going to camp back-field. That's 42" w/ Kraken. With either an aggressor, to maintain range, or an inceptor so you can fall back and still shoot after getting charged.

With primaris the goal should always be to have them beating face, and the only acceptable reason for them not beating face is you already killed them in shooting on the way there. I'm only half joking, until we get another type of primaris special weapons we just really dont do backline units.

Heavy incinerators work for dark angels because they're s9 ap4 d3 and that loving hurts, for everyone else they don't really do enough damage, whereas literally the only drawback for assault incinerators is they struggle on t7+, and deathwatch is filled to bursting with rerolls and +1s to wound so I really cant see a good reason to take anything else. A squad with auto bolt rifles, assault incinerators and an aggressor advancing up the field with no penalty seems like a better choice of the more expensive weapon options.

Artum fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Looking for some list feedback. I've been painting up my Necrons in a pretty ad hoc fashion but I'm looking to create a 1500 list for starters (the people I play against often do 1500 due to time contraints and being lazy painters). What I currently have is:
pre:
Battalion Detachment (Nihilakh)

HQ

Cryptek w/ Canoptek Cloak
Lord w/ Staff of Light
Overlord w/ Resurrection Orb, Warscythe

Troops

5 Immortals w/ Gauss Blasters
20 Warriors
20 Warriors

Fast Attack

5 Destroyers

Heavy Support

Doomsday Ark
Doomsday Ark

Total:  1499pts
Open to switching the Immortals for Tesla but they're basically just filling out the Troops requirement. Overlord will probably take Veil of Darkness for any emergencies or late objective grabs. One thought I did have was to drop a few Warriors (so I'd have squads of 17 and 18) to fit a cheap Heavy Destroyer in so I can have a Spearhead detachment for an extra CP, but not sure it's worth it? Would be some extra high S shooting though. Ideally I'd have a few more points to put some Wraiths or other combat support in but it is what it is.