Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

hey is it just me or does norowas kinda suck in solo mage knight

I'm not very good with him, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

StashAugustine posted:

Narrow rear end

Gold dicks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Am I remembering wrong that the epic PBF copypasta was done with him?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

No, that was Tovak

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

al-azad posted:

Apparently nothing about art if that stuff flies off the shelves. Reminds me of those Disney knock off animated films on VHS like Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night or something.

Oof yea I really hope that aspect of German boardgames stays in Germany.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Giant Azul preorder is using a p500 system ($300 price tag) and jesus christ I didn't realize it was that big. I actually want a micro version that could fit in my game bag now after thinking about it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's cool, and also what's a p500 system?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Countblanc posted:

That's cool, and also what's a p500 system?
It's a thing GMT does with a lot of their games, where they take an out of print game and if they get 500 preorders for a reprint they start things rolling on it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Nothing gets printed until 500 people prepay/preorder, and then a wave including but not limited to those 500 is made

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Except you're not prepaying; you're just doing a preauthorization for payment. Your card isn't charged til the game ships.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Has anyone here played Founders of Gloomhaven?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Pierzak posted:

Has anyone here played Founders of Gloomhaven?

Is it out yet anywhere?

The Canadian copies won't be shipping from Starlit Citadel in BC until about mid-June from the look of things.

I am excited for it though, hope Isaac is able to keep the good times a rollin'

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Is it out yet anywhere?
Not physically, but the author posted print & play files and a TTS module. I've already seen a review from a P&P copy, but would like a second opinion.
Mechanics look interesting enough but I have no idea how well it works in practice.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The new So Very Wrong talked about Ortus Regni a little bit. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

pospysyl posted:

The new So Very Wrong talked about Ortus Regni a little bit. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

It has an iPad and Steam app to try. Looks really neat and worth a look at least. Cool abstract-ish closed deck construction game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Banana Man posted:

Narrow rear end

Gold dicks

Urethrea

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

StashAugustine posted:

Is he the blocking one? I can't remember his other card but I don't recall anything too bad with him. I'm no Mage Knight expert though, but I win solo games with him without noticing a real handicap.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Turkey posted:

Is he the blocking one? I can't remember his other card but I don't recall anything too bad with him. I'm no Mage Knight expert though, but I win solo games with him without noticing a real handicap.

Norowas is the diplomacy/follower guy. Tovak is blocking guy and yeah he's pretty good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fat Turkey posted:

Straight White Shark posted:

Norowas is the diplomacy/follower guy. Tovak is blocking guy and yeah he's pretty good.

Yeah Tovak owns, but Norowas feels kind of dependent on units. Related, just finished a solo game with Krang where I ended up obtaining 11 artifacts over the course of the game. (One of the things about MK's setup time is it means you just keep playing when you have it out :shepface:)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

He's pretty bad/swingy. Play Blitz to get an extra unit in the offer, and hope you get the skills you want when you want them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't have a huge number of games under my belt but it feels like the one skill that gives an extra recruitment slot is absolutely make or break for Norowas. Other characters might miss their big skills if they get unlucky with skill draws but not to the extent Norowas does.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Cole Wehrle did a super good (but 4 hour long) teaching game of John Company with Heavy Cardboard today.

https://youtu.be/DNZmp37LgL4

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I got Forge War in a maths trade and have played a couple of games of it now, and found it pretty enjoyable - and it gives me a lot of optimism for Founders of Gloomhaven which I also backed. Forge War seems to be a completely solid, if a little unexciting Euro and I could easily see myself playing a good amount of it if it wasn't so damned long. Both 2 player games took about 3 hours excluding a (fairly quick) rules explanation, and not too much AP on either player's part. I can't even imagine playing it with 4. Despite the length, it didn't drag with 2 players, as the turnaround on player actions is very quick - each stage of the game you are generally making fairly simple decisions and the parts where you make more complex decisions can often be done simultaneously. So for a games of its length, it did a good job of keeping us involved throughout.

I'm interested in trying it solo and/or with a co-op variant - apart from the mining game there's a pretty strong multiplayer-solitaire feeling, which I think would be completely different if you played co-op with similar rules to solo (e.g. you have to take a quest every round - basically forcing you to perfectly balance building your engine as well as dealing with immediate threats).

It will be interesting to see how Founders compares in terms of complexity/length and interactivity.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Jejoma posted:

Cole Wehrle did a super good (but 4 hour long) teaching game of John Company with Heavy Cardboard today.

https://youtu.be/DNZmp37LgL4

Isn't this game out of stock and no longer in production?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

Isn't this game out of stock and no longer in production?

Yes, but there's a chance it'll come back. Eklund is pretty good about Kickstarting new print runs and seems to have bounced back from his troubles earlier this year. John Company was one of Eklund's fastest selling games so I think it'll come back next year or so.

And if it doesn't Wehrle has gotten permission from Eklund to do a self published deluxe print of Pax Pamir. If Eklund is busy with his own projects the same might happen for John Company.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kerro posted:

I got Forge War in a maths trade and have played a couple of games of it now, and found it pretty enjoyable - and it gives me a lot of optimism for Founders of Gloomhaven which I also backed. Forge War seems to be a completely solid, if a little unexciting Euro and I could easily see myself playing a good amount of it if it wasn't so damned long. Both 2 player games took about 3 hours excluding a (fairly quick) rules explanation, and not too much AP on either player's part. I can't even imagine playing it with 4. Despite the length, it didn't drag with 2 players, as the turnaround on player actions is very quick - each stage of the game you are generally making fairly simple decisions and the parts where you make more complex decisions can often be done simultaneously. So for a games of its length, it did a good job of keeping us involved throughout.

I'm interested in trying it solo and/or with a co-op variant - apart from the mining game there's a pretty strong multiplayer-solitaire feeling, which I think would be completely different if you played co-op with similar rules to solo (e.g. you have to take a quest every round - basically forcing you to perfectly balance building your engine as well as dealing with immediate threats).

It will be interesting to see how Founders compares in terms of complexity/length and interactivity.

I really enjoyed Forge War, something about juggling what are essentially different timers and making sure they are fed and watered properly really did it for me. Probably some of the same reasons I like Antiquity.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Kerro posted:

The solo game is quite nice.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

al-azad posted:

Yes, but there's a chance it'll come back. Eklund is pretty good about Kickstarting new print runs and seems to have bounced back from his troubles earlier this year. John Company was one of Eklund's fastest selling games so I think it'll come back next year or so.

And if it doesn't Wehrle has gotten permission from Eklund to do a self published deluxe print of Pax Pamir. If Eklund is busy with his own projects the same might happen for John Company.

Nice, I missed the sales it had a couple of weeks ago and regretted it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Played Battle for Rokugan three times tonight. Everyone really liked it, especially how easy it was to learn and quick to play.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah Tovak owns, but Norowas feels kind of dependent on units. Related, just finished a solo game with Krang where I ended up obtaining 11 artifacts over the course of the game. (One of the things about MK's setup time is it means you just keep playing when you have it out :shepface:)

Unmentioned in all this is what difficulty you play on. And, out of interest, what difficulty DO you guys play on. My experience was generally the default although the last couple of games I did Volkare at mid level and the Conquest games at 10 and 12.

I remember not finding much use for the tranquilty replacement, but that seems much more useful when you have a level 3 unit. Meanwhile j used the Influence replacement to grab the odd extra Fame and Reputation to help me level up earlier, and I could be really disposable with my units as the high Rep and Influence meant it was much easier to recruit Units than other heroes would have allowed.

So I did find he had his uses!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

Nice, I missed the sales it had a couple of weeks ago and regretted it.

Also Eklund's been doing "upgraded" versions of some of his games with his Kickstarters, so that might be a silver lining for missing it the first time around.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

al-azad posted:

I welcome the opportunity to try out Pax Pamir without giving Phil Eklund any money.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Anyone backing Gugong/Forbidden City? Sounds like a decent mid-weight euro, I'm a big fan of Hansa Teutonica and TMG's deluxe productions are usually pretty solid.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EBag posted:

Anyone backing Gugong/Forbidden City? Sounds like a decent mid-weight euro, I'm a big fan of Hansa Teutonica and TMG's deluxe productions are usually pretty solid.

Just backed it as well. Let's hope it doesn't suck :).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Tried Werewords today. Seems solid. Their word list seems really good so far, and the "word level" selection gives you an easy way to balance the game for your group.

If we keep playing it, we'll probably replace the cardboard role-card things with something more suitable for the task (like cards in sleeves)... which will mean that all we're using from the box is the yes/no/maybe tokens. Definitely an easy print-and-play candidate if you want to give it a try (the word list, which is the real content, is in the free app).

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
It's too bad that Phil "Captain Capitalism" Eklund got ruined by a bad business deal, but boy do I hope if Wehrle does his own deluxe version it includes a little gavel like he wanted to throw in originally - https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28981912#28981912.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Really regretting not scooping up a copy of John's Company while it was around.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

I welcome the opportunity to try out Pax Pamir without giving Phil Eklund any money.
What's wrong with Phil Eklund? Serious question.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Pierzak posted:

What's wrong with Phil Eklund? Serious question.

His rulebooks are full of hot takes, and he manages to write that out even as his own game contradicts it. For example, Pax Porfiriana has a wonderful essay about more unfettered free markets would have made Mexico great again, even though the game is a great display of the destructive powers of wealthy politically active Mexican capitalists. Pax Pamir has an essay about how the British empire was great, since it brought infrastructure and civilization to the world. But the game Pax Pamir will see players tear down their own railroads in spite the moment infrastructure becomes too useful for the player in the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't mind supporting Eklund because while he has dumb opinions they exist outside of the game itself and the actual design disproves his thesis. It would be different if he was like "no, colonialism was good!" and the game ends up being as milquetoast as Mombasa.