Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Roth posted:

It was just a web series that did 5 minute shorts rather than a full on show on TV.

Are the DVD movies the 5 minute shorts strung together? So far I've seen on shelve the DVDs with traditional animation, and the LEGO character CGI movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like how they actually made wonder woman look like she's from the mediterranean and I love Zatanna's hair.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 22, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wonder why they went with a teenage Diana instead of Donna or Cassie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SonicRulez posted:

Whonna and Whatsie?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

SonicRulez posted:

Synergy! Also, noone in their target audience would recognize the others.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

Because people know who she is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So this Thundercats Roar thing is escalating to Gamergate proportions and I feel very sorry for all my friends and acquaintances in the animation industry.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Lurdiak posted:

So this Thundercats Roar thing is escalating to Gamergate proportions and I feel very sorry for all my friends and acquaintances in the animation industry.

Considering that unhinged dorks are moving to regularly committing mass murder, it probably shouldn't be surprising that the Thundercats thing is escalating. It seems like this whole thing in general (loving weirdos being coddled and never learning how to be decent human beings because they can always run to the internet as a safe space) is coming to a head.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Considering that unhinged dorks are moving to regularly committing mass murder, it probably shouldn't be surprising that the Thundercats thing is escalating. It seems like this whole thing in general (loving weirdos being coddled and never learning how to be decent human beings because they can always run to the internet as a safe space) is coming to a head.

Considering only one side regularly uses violence, and considering the current administration and general tone of the press, I don't think the issue "coming to a head" will end well for the not-crazy people.

If you know any women or LGBT people who work in animation, their life is about to get a whole lot shittier.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
didnt u no that having the artwork in your childrens cartoon targeted at children drawn in a style that appeals to contemporary children is an unconscionable crime, say the 38yo men

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Considering only one side regularly uses violence, and considering the current administration and general tone of the press, I don't think the issue "coming to a head" will end well for the not-crazy people.

If you know any women or LGBT people who work in animation, their life is about to get a whole lot shittier.

Oh yeah, I meant it in a bad way. Like it is going to get a whole lot worse and start to boil over, though I do believe the escalation will lead to an end of the BS sooner than later. I just hope, and it loving disgusts me to say this, that the eventual body count of this loving "movement"* doesn't get too high.

*I consider all this poo poo, including gamergate, red pill, pua, MRA, etc, to be the same. It's telling that the poo poo is always directed toward women.

Good example is Last Jedi. Directed and written by dudes. But someone 90% of the venom I've seen online is directed at female characters or Kathleen Kennedy. Go figure. Funny thing is, I didn't even like the movie, but holy loving poo poo did that movie drive people loving insane.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 22, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh yeah, I meant it in a bad way. Like it is going to get a whole lot worse and start to boil over, though I do believe the escalation will lead to an end of the BS sooner than later. I just hope, and it loving disgusts me to say this, that the eventual body count of this loving "movement" doesn't get too high.

It's already too high.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It's already too high.

I hosed up and meant too much higher. It is still hard to wrap my head around the fact that this poo poo is reality now. I remember when this nonsense all started and I can't believe it has gotten to this point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It's not coming out until next year, most of the people being upset about it will be spending their time complaining about how Episode 9 has yet another woman in it when Thundercats Roar actually premiers.

The vitriol sucks, but it's going away soon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It's not coming out until next year, most of the people being upset about it will be spending their time complaining about how Episode 9 has yet another woman in it when Thundercats Roar actually premiers.

The vitriol sucks, but it's going away soon.

I don't know, I think this one has legs. It's sucked in a lot of latent reactionary hatred and general dissatisfaction with Cartoon Network and modern animation in general that people have had for years. Every idiot who hates Teen Titans Go is hopping onto this bandwagon. Everyone who misses realistically proportioned muscleman cartoons is on board too. Everyone who hates how lgbt-friendly Steven Universe is feels validated by the hatred this is getting. Everyone who doesn't understand how the costs of animation have skyrocketed in the past 20 years resulting in simpler animation is all too happy for a scapegoat.

This isn't just a movie that'll come and be gone like Ghostbusters 2016. It's targeting an entire company and industry that's got a lot of LGBT people working in it. I think it's going to keep getting uglier.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Really? It's such a nothing to get worked up over. At worst it's a bad cartoon that mocks fans of its original. There's no higher social principles involved, or anything vaguely political. What is there to snowball into something like Gamergate?

Is it just that Thundercats fans are in more in the angry old man age range?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Really? It's such a nothing to get worked up over. At worst it's a bad cartoon that mocks fans of its original. There's no higher social principles involved, or anything vaguely political. What is there to snowball into something like Gamergate?

Are you under the impression there was anything to the start of Gamergate besides a guy bitching about his ex?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would be prepared to bet that, despite all their nastiness now about this, most of these people probably liked My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic when it showed up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would be prepared to bet that, despite all their nastiness now about this, most of these people probably liked My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic when it showed up.

Like 90% of them have moe anime girl avatars soooooo....

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's fine to take something for girls and change it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm kind of surprised Care Bears never got a wacky reboot, now that I think about it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

mods change my name to THUNDERCATS ROAR ES UN INSULTO por favor

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I assume none of these people really care about Thundercats and it's just a useful wedge for them. They're like that guy who was bragging about being responsible for review-bombing Last Jedi on Rotten Tomatoes: obviously he doesn't care about Star Wars or about DC movies being unfairly treated by Disney's :qq: BRIBED :qq: critics; he's just angry because he believes Disney and Marvel and Lucasfilm are all run by SJWs and only care about making movies for SJWs and not him.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Some nerds are complaining that it looks too much like Steven Universe.

I loving love steven universe and legit think it's one of the best kid shows ever. I can only hope the new thundercats is that good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Have these people had a bug up their asses about Steven Universe and Clarence for years and I just never noticed, or is Thundercats just a step too far for them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just like the idea that their upset it looks like a modern successful cartoon and not one made 40 years ago.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
There's a major problem with the animation industry being extremely heavily weighted to CalArts grads, and when yet another of them gets to make a show that just lazily copies the current "popular" style, people get frustrated. Except they're circling the wagons by claiming all criticism of it is just the CHUDs being CHUDs.

It sucks because 1) Saying "It's not for youuuuu!" is a smug copout and 2) There are literal animation producers out there saying they are watching and will blacklist people who disparage the show in a manner they don't like. So now not only does anybody who dislikes it have to tread carefully about not being considered an alt-right loon, they also have to worry about whether or not they can criticize anything at all without getting shut out if they want a place in the industry.

It's a bad showing by both sides, and the pro-reboot side is absolutely taking advantage of the nastiness of the other to avoid criticism.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

business hammocks posted:

Have these people had a bug up their asses about Steven Universe and Clarence for years and I just never noticed, or is Thundercats just a step too far for them?

Yeah definitely, people outside of SUs fan base loving loathe the show. There's a lot of stuff about inclusion and gender nonconforming people and Extremely Online people fuckin hate that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ryonguy posted:

There's a major problem with the animation industry being extremely heavily weighted to CalArts grads, and when yet another of them gets to make a show that just lazily copies the current "popular" style, people get frustrated. Except they're circling the wagons by claiming all criticism of it is just the CHUDs being CHUDs.

It sucks because 1) Saying "It's not for youuuuu!" is a smug copout and 2) There are literal animation producers out there saying they are watching and will blacklist people who disparage the show in a manner they don't like. So now not only does anybody who dislikes it have to tread carefully about not being considered an alt-right loon, they also have to worry about whether or not they can criticize anything at all without getting shut out if they want a place in the industry.

It's a bad showing by both sides, and the pro-reboot side is absolutely taking advantage of the nastiness of the other to avoid criticism.

Lmao OK sure. These guys are like the people who lost their loving minds over Ebert saying games aren't art - they had never cared about art until they thought it was being used to insult their toys. The people making those videos do not give two shits about whatever college animators went to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ryonguy posted:

post/av combo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

It's fine to take something for girls and change it.

A lot of it is "it used to be SERIOUS :qq:" and then I remember people on TV Tropes insisting that MLP was "surprisingly dark" and that kind of thing, so I watched half a dozen episodes and realised no, of course it loving wasn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ryonguy posted:

That's not why the is being criticized nor why people think those critics are dumb assholes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don’t really care for the look of the show, but that’s because it feels like it’s combining two things that don’t go together very well and feels like a paint-by-numbers version of what people think CN’s other material or house style looks like. Something like what Lauren Faust is doing for the new Superhero Girls or something like the new TMNT cartoon would fit the idea of “Thundercats but for today’s modern younger audiences” I think. Or Justice League Action.

This CalArts bullshit is pretty dumb though, and disrespectful to animation as an industry.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ryonguy posted:

Couldn’t they just not be hyperbolic and respond with reasonable judgments? There’s not really a “both sides” possible when one side is a rape threat and doxxing factory.

Even if the cartoon is bad, you might have some problems if your first response is “oh no! Because of the chuds now I can’t criticize the cartoon or else people will think that I am a chud! How unreasonable!”

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm kind of surprised Care Bears never got a wacky reboot, now that I think about it.

They did, and the Hub tried to market it to bronies. They even came up with a cutesy brony-like nickname for the fanbase ahead of time, though I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZwDNAQH0cU

TwoPair posted:

Listen I don't care how the rest of her design changes any Zatanna design without a top hat is automatically bad. I just think a magic superhero dressing like a stage magician is too great.

Agreed. Her whole thing is being an entertainer, a stage magician. It's literally her job. Her outfit is one of the rare times that it makes total sense for the character.

EDIT: Belly-Bros! They wanted the Care Bears fanbase to call themselves Belly-Bros!

Problem for them was, there was no fanbase. :v:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 22, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ryonguy posted:

Furthermore, the Frankfurt school,

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah it's not like Cartoons have followed what is popular..

https://mobile.twitter.com/Calavera145/status/998632492549791750

I'm fine with if you don't like the look, but I've seen way to many nerds calling the creator a soyboy or giving him poo poo for his hair.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Vandar posted:

They did, and the Hub tried to market it to bronies. They even came up with a cutesy brony-like nickname for the fanbase ahead of time, though I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZwDNAQH0cU

Agreed. Her whole thing is being an entertainer, a stage magician. It's literally her job. Her outfit is one of the rare times that it makes total sense for the character.

EDIT: Belly-Bros! They wanted the Care Bears fanbase to call themselves Belly-Bros!

Problem for them was, there was no fanbase. :v:

Oh god. I actually vaguely remember seeing images of this, but I thought it was a generic kid cg thing, not an attempt at trying to capture the MLP success.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It was basically just a by-the-numbers kid thing no different from any other Care Bears stuff. The only attempts to play at the Brony market were all in the marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I'm fine with if you don't like the look, but I've seen way to many nerds calling the creator a soyboy or giving him poo poo for his hair.
Cool, cool, so literally what I said in my post as what the supporters are pretending everybody against it is doing.

business hammocks posted:

Couldn’t they just not be hyperbolic and respond with reasonable judgments? There’s not really a “both sides” possible when one side is a rape threat and doxxing factory.
This is correct, except you're doing exactly what I'm talking about by saying "one side" is monolithic and composed entirely of Bad People.

quote:

Even if the cartoon is bad, you might have some problems if your first response is “oh no! Because of the chuds now I can’t criticize the cartoon or else people will think that I am a chud! How unreasonable!”
Somebody pretending that everybody against their work is a nazi is a lovely thing to to do no matter that there are nazis against their work.

It's not for adults, but when other adults turn around and then says it's for kids because they know what kids like as opposed to these other adults, it rings kinda hollow.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 22, 2018