Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

wayfinder posted:

As someone with a strict no-onions policy, I'm out for all of this discussion

whoa, very rude to have opinions that are so wrong. schämen Sie sich denn gar nicht?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

How can you eat all these onions and then interact with other people?

I know, „very carefully“ and „lol goons interacting with other people“, but seriously, who eats that poo poo unless you’re like going to bed right afterward?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Just make sure that everyone eats onions.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

If you hate onions I didn't want to interact with you in the first place :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Wengy posted:

How can you eat all these onions and then interact with other people?
I have never given any shits

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

I have never given any shits

same with garlic. oh no i smell of food, how could i

az
Dec 2, 2005

some mothers give their kids grief for smelling like beer/smokes/weed when they come home

wengys mam belted him furiously for smelling of onions and a lifelong phobia was born

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

az posted:

some mothers give their kids grief for smelling like beer/smokes/weed when they come home

wengys mam belted him furiously for smelling of onions and a lifelong phobia was born

onions: hard drugs

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
You know, on second thought, Fischsemmel discussion is much better. I'm on the fence about onions. There's definitely a point of too much onions, especially raw ones, but you can't just go without 'em either.

Incidentally, might I recommend fermenting garlic in honey. If you want your Wohnung to smell like garlic and honey, that is, but who wouldn't?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I can begrudgingly accept someone not liking raw onions but not liking onions at all is incomprehensible to me. I think about 90% of the stuff I cook involves some kind of onion-like vegetable.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Proud and smelly p o i e (put onions in everything)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I love all onions, I have in the past eaten raw onions for breakfast but have stopped due to work etiquette.

Onions every day

I am Tony Abbott

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

az posted:

you know the fish is fresh when the brötchen is called a semmel

lmao

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
lol at all the butthurt over someone somewhere not eating onions

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

joli homme de paille

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I love onions but also have gute Kinderstube, you smelly barbarians! :colbert:
Also, my mother mostly gave me grief for putting my elbow on the table and sniffling audibly, so now I’m extremely sensitive to these types of behavior. Thanks mom!

I also find it legitimately interesting that raw onions are so much more prevalent on German Brötchen than here in Switzerland - the standard bakery-type sandwich definitely doesn’t feature raw onions here. I guess some Canapés do, but that’s a different product category altogether.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
The trick is to put some salt on your raw onions after cutting them up - give them 10 minutes and the salt will soak out some of the brutal onion-ness, leaving you (after washing off the salty water) with mellow and soft, yet still raw, delicious onions.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/998858760847114240?s=19

https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/998859655299317760?s=19

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

SavageGentleman posted:

The trick is to put some salt on your raw onions after cutting them up - give them 10 minutes and the salt will soak out some of the brutal onion-ness, leaving you (after washing off the salty water) with mellow and soft, yet still raw, delicious onions.

brb, gonna try this out rn

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Fischbrötchen sind wie Kanzler. Bismarck or bust.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The difference in smelliferousness between raw and cooked Knoblauch is insane. The first time I, not realizing this, made some whatever that Couscous "salad" is called again with raw Knoblauch for my lunch I basically smoked out my entire workplace. Visible stink lines emanating from my every pore. It's drat good tho, that acidy edge it adds. Probably worth being socially ostracized and fired.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
Knoblauch in Alufolie auf dem Grill neben der Folienkartoffel ftw - if it's well-cooked, you can eat a whole clove by itself without any problems. It's even soft enough to spread it on bread and have an amazing Knoblauchbrot without smell issues afterwards!

ASK me about my never-ending love affair with Knoblauch and Zwiebeln

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SavageGentleman posted:

It's a quick pickling method, works well with carrots and radishes too. Try it with red onions, add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice and some parsley if you're feeling fancy.

Or do pico de gallo. Chopped raw onions, small diced tomatoes (scoop out the seeds and jelly bits), salt and lime juice, and more cilantro than you think is enough or reasonable. Amazing stuff.

As for garlic, there's also a huge difference between the bulbs you usually get with the dry flaky skin and the seasonal fresh garlic with skin that peels right off. I only ever use the second kind anymore.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

All you garlic lovers should try Chinese food. Find a restaurant that has the secret Chinese menu with the pictures. Or an Uyghur one.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

There’s an uyghur restaurant in Munich right next to the Hauptbahnhof, I haven’t been there in ages but it used to be really good.

Re: food chat, I was in Vienna over the last couple days and in an Italian restaurant I had some amazing Hühnerschnitzel with a Käse-Ei-Panade, it was absolutely wonderful and I’ll try to recreate it asap

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ich möchte an dieser Stelle eine Lanze für Rosenkohl aus dem Ofen brechen.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randler posted:

Wie genau? Mit Käse überbacken? Oder einfach vorher eine Minute gekocht und dann mit Butter in den Ofen geschoben? Roh gebacken?

Bin ein grosser Rosenkohl Fan, zu schade dass es ihn nur ein paar Monate frisch gibt.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Randler posted:

:yeah:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Onions in a discussion thread are like buttholes. They are everywhere and they smell.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I just tried pico de gallo myself, although I had to substitute basil for the cilantro because I didn’t have any. I also added a bit of Bruschetta-Gewürz for good measure. Tastes amazing, would eat again 😋

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Finally got back from helping at a local Dorffest in HOCHFRANKEN for the last couple of days. Holy god, my body is broken.

Twenty-Eight years of integrating into regular Oberfranken didn't count for poo poo when trying to integrate up there. Pretty much 60% of the local Vereinskollegen were in the "entweder bisd a gscheider, oder a orschloch, ich hab mich noch ned entschieden"-camp, which required some proving before they had taken to me, but even afterwards, I had trouble understanding the pack.

I "get" why pretty much every region in Germany needs its own word for Brötchen, but when you need not only "Laabla", but also "Schdella" to augment your Brödlasvokabular, you know you're in for a ride.

All food and drinks were free, so I binged on booze, Lachslaabla and Sau vom Spieß. Time well spent.

/edit: Holy hell, this thread is like 7 years old.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

pidan posted:

All you garlic lovers should try Chinese food. Find a restaurant that has the secret Chinese menu with the pictures. Or an Uyghur one.

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff.

Korean food works as well, because as far as I know, Koreans are second only to Chinese in yearly garlic consumption per capita. Both are over 10 kg.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Torrannor posted:

Wie genau? Mit Käse überbacken? Oder einfach vorher eine Minute gekocht und dann mit Butter in den Ofen geschoben? Roh gebacken?

Bin ein grosser Rosenkohl Fan, zu schade dass es ihn nur ein paar Monate frisch gibt.

Just take the bag out of the freezer, toss in oil and spices and then put in oven until toasted to taste.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Am I the only one in this godforsaken Faden who boils their vegetables into a mushy slop, the way Mutti used to do??

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Randler posted:

Just take the bag out of the freezer, toss in oil and spices and then put in oven until toasted to taste.

I don't think putting the bag into the oven is going to get you anything tasty or healthy.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib

Torrannor posted:

Mein Favorit: Rosenkohlröschen mit kochendem Wasser übergießen, nach 1-2 Minuten Wasser abgießen, Röschen kurz abkühlen lassen. Dann halbieren, in einer Schüssel mit einer Mischung aus Olivenöl (oder warmer Butter, wer mag), Balsamico-Essig, bisschen Salz und Kräutern durchschütteln und Röschen dann in den vorgeheizten Ofen, am besten Heissluft bei 180-200 Grad, solange, bis sie schön gefärbt sind. (ca 10-15 Min?)

Dazu Rinderscheibchen!

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 22, 2018

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

who doesn't like eating Röschen :love:

az
Dec 2, 2005

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

who doesn't like eating Röschen :love:

:wave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU