Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Pure BWM being aged 15 starting fires and then being ordered to repay almost $37m.

quote:

The Oregonian reports that Hood River County Circuit Judge John A Olson issued the opinion on Monday (local time), awarding the restitution totaling US$36,618,330.24 to cover the costs of firefighting, repair and restoration to the gorge and damage to homes. Victims include the US Forest Service and Oregon Department of Transportation.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/104113031/teen-ordered-to-repay-nz53-million-for-starting-oregon-wildfire

At least he's got his whole life ahead of him to pay it off. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Devian666 posted:

He only has to make payments for 10 years; 15 to 25 isn't exactly prime earning years, so I don't see the state making back much. He's also lucky they withheld his name, as I'm sure having a 37 million dollar wildfire pop up when people search your name would hinder your job hunt.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

TheLastManStanding posted:

He's also lucky they withheld his name, as I'm sure having a 37 million dollar wildfire pop up when people search your name would hinder your job hunt.

Also people here in western Oregon might actually maim or murder him. The little fucker shot fireworks into a canyon during the peak of fire season in the middle of a burn ban, costing people their homes and livelihoods. Many people's favorite hiking spots will not be the same for a really long time and the impact on tourism is awful. People also had to live with choking black smoke for weeks. I have asthma and couldn't go outside without a respirator.

He got no jail time, and his parents won't have to pay anything either. People are still really pissed off. If they hitched him to a post in Cascade Locks at night there would be nothing left of him by morning.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

I was at a family get together a few years ago, the guy hosting it at his house ran a popular bar in a resort town. Someone mention that it must be going well because he's obviously doing well. He says that the bar does ok, and for years he was only just breaking even. Then the state loosened gambling restrictions, and he put in a few multigame machines. After a few months of those going in, he cleared enough to hire more people, and was able to take vacations. If he cleared out more space for more machines, he could rake in even more, but he'd rather keep the space for tables. So the secret is gambling.

In BWM news, a coworker really wanted to buy a house, and only just talked out of the first one because it was in a flood plain and had some sketchy foundation business.
So he went for another one he could only just afford. I heard him saying that if he needs a lot of OT a month to have any savings. I'm sure this will go well.

My brother-in-law was a manager at a bar in Vegas that catered to locals (so no tourists). The gaming machines there brought in $30k a month.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A ton of bars, restaurants and sports clubs in Australia are basically excuses to have a room full of gaming machines.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A ton of bars, restaurants and sports clubs in Australia are basically excuses to have a room full of gaming machines.

A relative of mine owns a regulars bar; the only reason it's still open is the gambling income.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

Yes it is. I got you fam.

I re-read it every year or so to chase that high.

Oh man what a great story, it's so cringeworthy I don't think I can even re-read it.

"So instead of helping out in the back, or doing market research, or advertising, I just calmed my nerves by getting drunk all afternoon and then making a spectacle of myself in front of the customers"

"My friend owns a restaurant and offered to hire me so I could learn the ropes, but no way, kitchen work is hard and I bet I'm too good for it, and let me back up that bet with my house and my retirement plan"

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A relative of mine is about to land a great online job, but I'm worried it might be a scam. posted:

This relative of mine was recently contacted by a very prominent person, or at least someone claiming to be that person, through email after finding one of my relative's online ads. In researching this prominent person I found that not only have they done a lot of noteworthy work, but even served as minister of an African nation for a few years. This prominent person is currently in the process of recruiting my relative for a project, in which my relative will have to do exclusively online work.

A contract has been signed, but I haven't looked at it and even if I did I'd have no idea if it was legit or not. Also, apparently they've "exchanged bank documents" and my relative has told me that these documents appear to be legit, but once again, I haven't looked at them and even if I did I'd have no idea if they was legit or not.

There are numerous reasons as to why I'm worried this may be a scam. First, the pay is way above industry standards. Second, there's not really a way to verify identity, since that prominent person has no official online presence. Third, my relative was informed that the bank requires a security deposit for authentication and identity check due to the unstable and violent political situation at the African country this bank is based in. My relative will have to pay this deposit before accessing the money transferred as payment. At this point I want to note that my relative has agreed to receive a part of the payment upfront and the rest when the job is completed.

Your thoughts on this? Could this actually be legit?

How on earth are people still falling for this poo poo in the year of our lord 2018?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hi I am a prominent government official in an African country, I am so loaded that I can pay you well above industry standard salary for your work, but I'm a bit short right now could you do me a solid and make a minimum opening deposit for my company bank account tia

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What don't you understand about his assets being seized?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

What don't you understand about his assets being seized?
The part where he has assets worth seizing.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Devian666 posted:

Pure BWM being aged 15 starting fires and then being ordered to repay almost $37m.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/104113031/teen-ordered-to-repay-nz53-million-for-starting-oregon-wildfire

Wife and I went hiking in that area the weekend that fire started and half the beautiful hikes and waterfalls we saw burned down.

gently caress that kid.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hoodwinker posted:

The part where he has assets worth seizing.

Can't blame homeboy for trying to break that $100,001 glass ceiling. What's the USD:ZWL exchange rate again?

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 22, 2018

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Parents go to court to boot 30-year-old son from home

quote:

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) — In a real-life case of “Failure to Launch,” an upstate New York judge Tuesday ordered a 30-year-old man to move out of his parents’ house after they went to court to have him ejected.

Michael Rotondo told the judge he knows his parents want him out of the split-level ranch they share. But he argued that as a family member, he’s entitled to six months more time.

State Supreme Court Justice Donald Greenwood rejected that as outrageous, the Post-Standard of Syracuse reported.

Rotondo told reporters he’ll appeal. Mark and Christina Rotondo brought the court case after several eviction letters offering money and other help were ignored.

The parents didn’t answer a call seeking comment Tuesday and their letters, filed in court, don’t give their reasons for wanting their son out of the house. They do tell him to get a job and move his broken-down Volkswagen Passat.

“Michael, here is $1,100 from us to you so you can find a place to stay,” a Feb. 18 letter starts. It goes on to suggest he sell his stereo, some tools and any weapons he may have to gain money and space.

“There are jobs available even for those with a poor work history like you,” the letter reads. “Get one — you have to work!”

It’s signed “Christina and Mark Rotondo.”

With reporters watching in court, Michael Rotondo sparred with Greenwood for 30 minutes, at one point refusing the judge’s request to work things out directly to his parents, who were sitting quietly nearby.

When Greenwood called Rotondo up to the bench, the long-haired and bearded son tried to bring the podium with him — noting it held the reporters’ microphones.

He then called out for television camera crews to meet him outside the courthouse. There, he answered their questions, telling them he occupies a bedroom in his parents’ home, doesn’t speak to them and isn’t ready to leave home. He said he had a business but wouldn’t elaborate.

“My business is my business,” he said.

The judge instructed the parents’ lawyer to draft an eviction order. Attorney Anthony Adorante said it would give Rotondo reasonable time to vacate.

In the 2006 Matthew McConaughey romantic comedy, the grown son’s parents hire a woman to try to speed their son’s exit.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/judge-sides-with-parents-boots-adult-son-from-new-york-home/

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

There are so many words worth reading. I'm guessing his business is stealing podiums to sell the journalist's microphones.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Genderfluent posted:

Very good with money

Here's a great local restaurant fail story (possibly GWM):

There was a decrepit but beautiful boned Victorian style home on a busy commercial drag near where I grew up. It had sat vacant for years before some people bought it, renovated it, and turned it into a brewpub that was really popular.

They didn't have much cash, so they have small ownership stakes to various plumbers, contractors, etc. in exchange for bringing it up to code. Rumor has it there may have been as many as 750 people with stakes in it.

Place was hugely popular from the beginning until the end, but died due to all the profit being divided up so many ways that the owners couldn't pay their own bills. It's now an Indian buffet that serves microbrews.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can I Afford a 2014 Audi A6

quote:

Hi r/PF,

I recently broke up with my ex. We co-owned a 2014 Honda Civic that was fully paid off.

She is going to be taking the Honda, leaving me with no vehicle. I am currently considering purchasing a 2014 Audi A6 for $22000.

I got an insurance quote for roughly $370 per month. I can afford to put a significant down payment to lower the month car payment as well.

My take home is roughly $4000 every two weeks. I've always been cautious about getting a luxury car, but I feel like I'm truly in a place where I can afford it now.

Thoughts?

I mean, I guess? But why?

quote:

I'm also a young driver

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sure I guess he can sort of "afford it" with that income, but holy poo poo at $370/mo insurance. An A6 is not an enticing enough car to pay that much just to insure, jesus christ.

If you're going to pay that much at least get something exciting.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Guinness posted:

Sure I guess he can sort of "afford it" with that income, but holy poo poo at $370/mo insurance. An A6 is not an enticing enough car to pay that much just to insure, jesus christ.

If you're going to pay that much at least get something exciting.
He could get an already modded (never a good idea, but also a good idea) S4 for a couple grand more... At least that would be fun.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Devian666 posted:

There are so many words worth reading. I'm guessing his business is stealing podiums to sell the journalist's microphones.
My guess is he's a crypto nut.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If your take home pay is $4000 every two weeks (around $160k/year) and you’re questioning a $22000 car purchase it seems like you’ve probably got some other problems. Yeah $370/month is crazy expensive for insurance but you can shop around and get that lowered. What else are you blowing your insane disposable income on?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

very stable genius posted:

If your take home pay is $4000 every two weeks (around $160k/year) and you’re questioning a $22000 car purchase it seems like you’ve probably got some other problems. Yeah $370/month is crazy expensive for insurance but you can shop around and get that lowered. What else are you blowing your insane disposable income on?

He's probably in the bay area, in which case $160k is used Corolla money, not entry-lux VAG car money.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
there's an interview right after
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article211676059.html
*Swishes hair* I should be, like you know, *Swishes hair* provided with 30 days, um leave notice, *Swishes hair*

:suspense:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

He's probably in the bay area, in which case $160k is used Corolla money, not entry-lux VAG car money.

the bay is not that expensive and the car market is a national market

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He means that with the rest of the expenses you’re looking at, you have a lot less disposable income to pay that $4,440 a year in car insurance. Plus another $5,000 a year or whatever it would end up being for the payments themselves.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 23, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
L.A. spent $330 million on electric buses from China that don't work:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-electric-buses-20180520-story.html

quote:

When Chinese battery maker BYD Ltd. approached Southern California officials in 2008 touting ambitious plans to build electric cars, local politicians jumped at the promise of thousands of jobs and cleaner air.

In the nine years since, agencies have awarded BYD grants, subsidies and public contracts worth more than $330 million for its battery-powered buses, forklifts and trucks. The company is positioned to be a prime supplier of electric buses to the nation's second-largest system, as Los Angeles' Metro sets a 12-year deadline to abandon fossil fuels.

But largely unbeknownst to the public, BYD's electric buses are contending with a record of poor performance and mechanical problems.

A Times investigation found its buses stalled on hills, required service calls much more frequently than older buses and had unpredictable driving ranges below advertised distances, which were impaired by the heat, the cold or the way drivers braked.

A federal testing center and transit agencies across the country logged driving ranges that were dozens of miles short of company claims, limiting the routes they can handle and requiring passengers to shuffle onto replacement buses when the batteries go low.

The first five buses BYD sent to Los Angeles Metro were pulled off the road after less than five months of service. Internal emails and other agency records show that agency staff called them "unsuitable," poorly made and unreliable for more than 100 miles. Despite strong concerns from its own staff about the quality and reliability of the company's vehicles, the transit agency awarded BYD tens of millions of dollars more in public contracts.

That could maybe have something to do with the chairman of the Metro board owning stock in BYD, I dunno. Or BYD hiring transit officials' family members for administrative positions and flying them on trips to China and Ecuador. Or maybe it wasn't corruption, maybe it was just the standard con when a company comes in and swears that if you give them a bunch of money for their miracle product they'll create jobs and grow your tax base.

quote:

BYD came close to also losing the 40-foot contract because its initial bus design didn't meet requirements, but Metro extended bid deadlines to allow BYD to submit a redesigned model, packing more power and with a promise that it can climb Los Angeles hills. After vowing to create 68 jobs, BYD won the $47-million contract.

None of the 65 buses Metro has ordered from BYD are yet on the road. Metro and BYD are currently designing a strategy to use bus route chargers to extend the range of the 40-foot buses approved in July. The replacement buses Metro ordered in exchange for the ones the agency returned in 2016 have yet to pass federal durability testing. There is no plan yet on how Metro will meet its self-imposed deadline to electrify the entire fleet.

Sigh. It's amazing how well the "keep making promises and stringing them along so they keep giving you money" aspect of scamming works at all levels of scam.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hoodwinker posted:

My guess is he's a crypto nut.

Probably is and they might want him to leave because of insane power bills. I like the article where the judge has requested Adult Protective Services to investigate.

He also seems to be lacking perspective. If your parents take you to court to try to get you to leave their basement this has gone beyond any recoverable relationship with your parents. Then throw in holding a media interview (of which he clearly has no training or understanding of the angle they will apply to the story) for a matter that would be best addressed with his parents directly rather than acting like a loving man baby.

e: Oh yeah the reporting is international now.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/104138523/judge-orders-30yearold-man-to-move-out-of-parents-house

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 23, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dude looks like somebody who's way too into crypto.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hoodwinker posted:

Dude looks like somebody who's way too into crypto.

Look man, once bitcoin goes to the moon I'll be able to buy a mansion with my 1 satoshi.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Devian666 posted:

Look man, once bitcoin goes to the moon I'll be able to buy a mansion with my 1 satoshi.
He looks like how I imagine the writer of brazil.txt looks like.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

blackmet posted:

There was a decrepit but beautiful boned Victorian style home on a busy commercial drag near where I grew up. It had sat vacant for years before some people bought it, renovated it, and turned it into a brewpub that was really popular.

They didn't have much cash, so they have small ownership stakes to various plumbers, contractors, etc. in exchange for bringing it up to code. Rumor has it there may have been as many as 750 people with stakes in it.

Place was hugely popular from the beginning until the end, but died due to all the profit being divided up so many ways that the owners couldn't pay their own bills. It's now an Indian buffet that serves microbrews.

Is it the Yak and Yeti in Arvada???

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Elysium posted:

http://www.tampabay.com/sold-everything-to-sail-the-world-boat-sank-next-day

Sell everything, buy a boat, sail the world! Insurance? Who needs that! What could go wrong...

Remember this couple? They're back on the water!

They bought their new-to-them (but actually 33-year-old) boat for $1 from a retired doctor, and have spent the past three months doing repairs.

Tampa Bay Times posted:

As they prepared to shove off, Walsh told the Tampa Bay Times they were "keeping an eye" on the weather system rolling north in the Gulf of Mexico, which meteorologists gave a 40 percent chance of developing into a tropical depression or tropical storm over the next five days. At the least, it’s expected to drop a lot of rain along Florida’s gulf coast in the next few days.

"We won’t be too far out. We’ll kind of just be scurrying the coast, so if it gets rough we’ll bring it in," Walsh said. "It’s time to go. It’s like $80 a night at the St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, so we’ve got to go."

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
They are terrible at making decisions. I bet the thing that kills them won't be the boat. They'll probably fail to run from pirates and end up being raped to death by them.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
Renaming a boat is bad luck. I bet they didn’t even perform the requisite rechristening ceremony. Bad With Money and Bad With Seafaring.

Also, I can’t imagine that 5 adults and 3 dogs on a 36 foot boat in tropical heat will be comfortable for any extended length of time.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Yond Cassius posted:

Remember this couple? They're back on the water!
That first article has an amazing caption:

quote:

Tanner Broadwell (right) and Nikki Walsh sold everything they had in Colorado, bought an old 28-foot sailboat and planned to live their dream of sailing the Caribbean. That dream turned into a nightmare Wednesday night at John's Pass when their boat, the Lagniappe, crashed into something underwater, severing the keel and causing it to sink. Now the couple and Remy, their 2-year-old Pug, have lost everything.
The editor must have cut the pug's interview though. I imagine it went something like this:

Remy did not share his owners' optimism. "These loving people," he said. "It's cheap as poo poo to live in Florida. We could've had a nice little place a short drive from the beach, but nooooo. Idiot from the mountains thinks he can live on a sailboat. The headline writes itself. gently caress."

"I lost my squeaky toy on that boat," he added wistfully. "I have nothing left."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Macaroni posted:

That first article has an amazing caption:
The editor must have cut the pug's interview though. I imagine it went something like this:

Remy did not share his owners' optimism. "These loving people," he said. "It's cheap as poo poo to live in Florida. We could've had a nice little place a short drive from the beach, but nooooo. Idiot from the mountains thinks he can live on a sailboat. The headline writes itself. gently caress."

"I lost my squeaky toy on that boat," he added wistfully. "I have nothing left."

This is solid gold.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
If they can’t even afford slip fees, is there any plan on how they’re going to pay for anything even assuming they don’t promptly sink this boat too? Food? Fuel? Spare parts? Do they know how to fix a marine diesel engine in open water? Do they still plan on using 2 year old charts when those same outdated charts caused them to sink their boat after two days?

Also I assume they’re just along for the ride temporarily but 5 people and 3 dogs on a 36 ft sailboat for a multi day trip sounds like hell. The cabin would be fine for 2 people but you’ve likely got one small bed and a built in couch. Probably one compost toilet and a tiny galley. Maybe 100 gallons of water. They won’t be dying of dysentery or anything but it doesn’t sound like a fun voyage. Either you’re hot bunking or some lucky person gets to experience why sailors didn’t enjoy “sleeping under the stars.”

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 23, 2018

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

StormDrain posted:

Is it the Yak and Yeti in Arvada???

Ding ding ding.

I do love the food there.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

blackmet posted:

Ding ding ding.

I do love the food there.

That’s hilarious, you definitely described it well. I love the food there too, but a pro tip as a weenie, don’t order spicy food and a jalapeño Lena beer, no relief. I was sweatin hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

L.A. spent $330 million on electric buses from China that don't work:

Sigh. It's amazing how well the "keep making promises and stringing them along so they keep giving you money" aspect of scamming works at all levels of scam.

This is Metro.txt. They are shady from top to bottom, and are more than willing to keep shoveling money into the fire as long as the brass get their kickbacks. It's why I voted "no" on Measure M. They complain about people not buying tickets then don't install basic turnstiles at train stations. You know, something every major subway system has done for decades. At some stations they installed them but they didn't lock. (For example, Lake Ave Gold Line stop.) Literally you just walked through them and a light flashed red if you didn't swipe a fare.