Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

mostlygray posted:

I loath the "And you must be Dad?" said in a dismissive tone. I'm sitting here with my daughter, just ask my name (or look at the chart). One I have stated my name, you will notice it matches the chart. It's not hard.

I hate "And you must be [relation]" so much. It just feels so presumptuous and dumb. I wouldn't assume how someone's related to anyone else, why is that a thing people even do?

I'm sure it's related to the time I came home from college to visit my father in the hospital, and the doctor just walked in, glanced at the chart and announced "And you must be Mrs. Prophet!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Midig posted:

Anyone using the word human being, autistic etc. IRL. Staph. Also the only time the word gay can be used if it refers to someone who is genuinely gay. The only exception is if you joke about not knowing any other adjectives.

I agree but simultaneously am fine with “dead gay comedy forum”

I trust goons to dogpile and then swiftly ban actual homophobes.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
People who walk slowly across crosswalks when there is a car waiting for them. If you don't have some kind of physical ailment, then move your rear end and get out of the way so other people can go.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I'm an idle scribbler and the other day my hand wrote "gently caress this gay rear end earth" in quite nice cursive when I haven't used gay as a pejorative in at least 10 years, probably more.

The internet is leaking into my subconscious and I dislike it.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Overheard this annoyance the other day, a security guard to a father with his child:

“Haha oh you’re stuck babysitting today, huh?”

No, the father is taking his kid to the store. Why do people think it’s so strange for a dad to have an outing with his kid? Aren’t fathers parents, too? Also, how lovely to assume that the mother has to do all the parenting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Master Twig posted:

People who walk slowly across crosswalks when there is a car waiting for them. If you don't have some kind of physical ailment, then move your rear end and get out of the way so other people can go.

I walk at a walking pace because gently caress booking it for someone who can take off at miles per hour once you're past

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mouse Dresser posted:

Overheard this annoyance the other day, a security guard to a father with his child:

“Haha oh you’re stuck babysitting today, huh?”

No, the father is taking his kid to the store. Why do people think it’s so strange for a dad to have an outing with his kid? Aren’t fathers parents, too? Also, how lovely to assume that the mother has to do all the parenting.
Apparently childcare is so evenly handled in Sweden that American visitors are often amazed by all the male babysitters (= fathers) they see out and about with their charges (= sons and daughters). :doh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Master Twig posted:

I walk at a walking pace, I'm not speeding up for some impatient jerk in a car.

If they start creeping into the crosswalk area or are like halfway into it or something (as I've seen countless times), I will slow down, because gently caress 'em. They can wait another 5 seconds. They've got the entire road and I've been relegated to a tiny-rear end sidewalk and crosswalks, all of the rest has been taken from me as a pedestrian. So gently caress 'em.

End the car age, get them the hell out of the cities.

(Disclaimer: I also drive occasionally, but I'm well aware that pedestrians and bicyclists have the right of way)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

It's on the "secret menu" or whatever.

Secret menus aren't real. The reason one shop doesn't know what you're talking about is because they don't know what you're talking about.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

KozmoNaut posted:

I walk at a walking pace, I'm not speeding up for some impatient jerk in a car.

If they start creeping into the crosswalk area or are like halfway into it or something (as I've seen countless times), I will slow down, because gently caress 'em. They can wait another 5 seconds. They've got the entire road and I've been relegated to a tiny-rear end sidewalk and crosswalks, all of the rest has been taken from me as a pedestrian. So gently caress 'em.

End the car age, get them the hell out of the cities.

(Disclaimer: I also drive occasionally, but I'm well aware that pedestrians and bicyclists have the right of way)

You're being a dick. Now, if a car is pulling forward and encroaching on the crosswalk, then of course they're in the wrong. And of course pedestrians have the right of way and should be given space.

But politeness is a two way street. I do what I preach. If I'm a pedestrian and I see a car is waiting on me, I jog across. Not moving quickly across crosswalks is like not holding a door open for someone behind you or not holding an elevator door.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Master Twig posted:

You're being a dick. Now, if a car is pulling forward and encroaching on the crosswalk, then of course they're in the wrong. And of course pedestrians have the right of way and should be given space.

But politeness is a two way street. I do what I preach. If I'm a pedestrian and I see a car is waiting on me, I jog across. Not moving quickly across crosswalks is like not holding a door open for someone behind you or not holding an elevator door.

When I hold a door open I don't expect them to break into a trot to grab it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I would never actually jog to get out of the car's way. Maybe that fake jog people do but not for real.

I also always discretely hammer the close doors button on elevators if i see someone coming from a distance so i guess i am a dick :shrug:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I sure do loving love having my cubicle right next to our office's little kitchenette. People sure do respect that they are still quite close to a place where a person is working and might need some concentration and don't just use it as a place to have extremely loud conversations or anything.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Master Twig posted:

They're reducing the air quality where I live and work, so I don't care if they're slightly inconvenienced and annoyed.

I'm not going to start jogging just to please some impatient rear end. I'm walking, that's appropriate speed in a crosswalk.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Master Twig posted:

If I'm a pedestrian and I see a car is waiting on me, I jog across. Not moving quickly across crosswalks is like not holding a door open for someone behind you or not holding an elevator door.
Nah, gently caress impatient drivers. You waiting 10 seconds for me to get across the road will not noticeably affect the amount of time it takes you to get to your destination. And 99 times out of 100 you've just done something loving stupid and annoying anyway, like drive half way onto the crossing or stopped when I was still a metre or more from the kerb. The only people I hate more as a pedestrian than the average driver are cyclists on the footpath.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My favorite type of driver is the one who zooms around a stopped car only to immediately slam on the brakes when they see a person crossing the street. What did you think the guy in front of you was stopped for?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Put the book/Kindle/phone in your pocket/purse and loving WALK, you stupid bitch. Why is looking where you're going so hard for people these days???

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

YeahTubaMike posted:

Put the book/Kindle/phone in your pocket/purse and loving WALK, you stupid bitch. Why is looking where you're going so hard for people these days???

Oh yeah those people are allowed to be run over by cars

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I was psychologically scarred by Road Safety Days in elementary school that taught us if we ever went faster than a walk on a road we'd die immediately

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are a lot of people who will purposely go into a crosswalk and then walk at a snail's pace just because they can, or because deep down they resent people who have cars or whatever the reason may be. Those people are dicks, and let's not lump all crosswalkers into the same group. There's a difference between not wanting to jog through just because there's a car waiting, and purposely holding people up because you get off on it.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Drivers who wave me on to cross when I have already decided to stop and wait irritate me. I have already stopped, I have indicated my preference here. Now I have to make sure you're actually stopping for me and jog across while waving gratefully while you slow down, stop, pat yourself on the back for being so gracious and then get moving again and this all takes so much longer than if you just kept going.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh yeah those people are allowed to be run over by cars

I wish they could be run over by cars when they're blocking my way on the subway platform :smith:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Master Twig posted:

People who jog or run across crosswalks (who aren't on a jog or run...) are a pet peeve of mine. You have the right of way, you don't have to use it apologetically. Also it's unsafe. I was probably told not run across crosswalks dozens of times in elementary school. Although the danger would be somewhat less for adults.

Brawnfire posted:

When I hold a door open I don't expect them to break into a trot to grab it

Also randos who hold doors open for me. This is the worst thing and should be punishable by catapult.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

teenytinymouse posted:

Drivers who wave me on to cross when I have already decided to stop and wait irritate me. I have already stopped, I have indicated my preference here. Now I have to make sure you're actually stopping for me and jog across while waving gratefully while you slow down, stop, pat yourself on the back for being so gracious and then get moving again and this all takes so much longer than if you just kept going.

Echoing that: drivers on a multiple lane road that stop and wave you on, but the other lane is still going normal speed. Then the driver gets irritated with you when you won’t walk blindly into traffic. :argh:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Crosswalk peeves...

People who decide to jaywalk and force traffic to slow down or stop when THERE IS A CROSSWALK RIGHT loving THERE! Why not walk the extra 25ft and allow traffic to know wtf you're doing? There's even a button you can press which instantly activate lights which let traffic know you intend to cross!

At 4 way stops I hate when people just stand at the corner. Are they crossing? There's a crosswalk right there, so I guess they could step into traffic at any moment and be in the right of way. So I sit there waiting for them to go, toot the horn to let em know that I see them and will not run them over, nope, nothing. Get the hell away from the drat corner ya dummy!

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

teenytinymouse posted:

This! I always feel like I have to pick up my pace when they do that, especially since they usually have to wait the awkward few seconds for me to make sure they're stopping as well as any other cars. It annoys me even more now that I'm pregnant and have to hurry up and waddle across now. I'd wish the car would just not stop and keep going so I can walk at the pace I want to.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

The reason one shop doesn't know what you're talking about is because they don't know what you're talking about.

I'd encourage you to re-read the post; specifically the part where someone knows what I'm talking about because it's an item available at every Starbucks location.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I hate that driving pet peeves always take over any other discussion. Since I don't drive I cant relate to 50 percent of this thread. Apparently driving is a bit like Dota 2 or LoL, it makes you a horrible person.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Killingyouguy! posted:

I was psychologically scarred by Road Safety Days in elementary school that taught us if we ever went faster than a walk on a road we'd die immediately

Yeah, it was basically "you will slip, you will fall, you will hit your head, and you will be repeatedly run over like a gazelle under a stampeding herd of elephants. No one will help you, that's what you get for running across the road dipshit."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

I'd encourage you to re-read the post; specifically the part where someone knows what I'm talking about because it's an item available at every Starbucks location.

Is it like the McGangBang where it’s a thing but only certain people know them? It’s possible that Oreo thing isn’t in the training video. Maybe it’s just a weird off menu item that the managers or some people know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

teenytinymouse posted:

I actually walk slower whenever this happens. And I'm certainly not pretending to be grateful to some dickhead who just inconvenienced me for no reason.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A big shrug and "alright, you asked for it." Affect a dramatic limp.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

I hate that driving pet peeves always take over any other discussion.

Same, but mostly because it's always the same stuff that pretty much everyone agrees is annoying - driving slow in the fast lane, not going fast enough when the light turns green (or slow people complaining about honkers), not using turn signals...I think we covered most of these several times over. It's not a big deal though, this is generally just the "whine into the ether" thread so I just skip over the ones I'm bored with or have no opinion on.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

A big shrug and "alright, you asked for it." Affect a dramatic limp.

This is my strategy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It seems to be happening a ton this past year or so, but whenever a friend first discovers the concept of "dad jokes", the next several weeks are insufferable as they tell you the same old ones the last friend to get into them did. I even think a lot of them are funny, but when you hear them for the 20th time it gets super old. Usually I don't spoil the punchline because that is kind of rude but it's getting to the point that I'm tired of giving fake polite chuckles and think it would be kinder to cut them off before they get into their routine.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh my god I hate the computer system at work so much. Yeah, let's have two desktops, which can't trade information between each other, and the one you use for most of your work has to be loaded from scratch every time you log on! No documents are saved! Install Outlook every single morning! It's Windows 10, so the start menu is pretty much not a thing and you have to search for the for different tools you need for your job!

And the other desktop doesn't have access to any Office programs, because who needs those to do work in an office! Will that stop anyone from sending you files on that desktop that can only be opened using Office? God no! Why would it? You can just forward that from Desktop A Email to Desktop B Email and wait the hour and a half it takes to arrive, if it arrives at all!

And it doesn't stop at being merely inefficient. We regularly get new direction on how to do things that makes them even less efficient than before! Previously escalating stuff with a button on the system we do the rest of our work on? Why don't you take half those posts, copy-paste the links to them into an email, and include a few lines about why you're sending them up! Oh, actually now we're going to send you a table in Word that requires five more pieces of information and a screenshot that'll literally crash Outlook for a few seconds every time you try to put it into an email the number of times you usually need to, and again whenever someone tries to open it. That's great, that makes things much easier for everyone.

I'm... I'm very annoyed today. Sorry everyone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
No idea if this really counts as a pet peeve, but christ alive there's something about lights at intersections that are just held up by wire (instead of metal poles) that bothers the poo poo out of me. It just looks low-class and ugly.

The weirdest part about it is that I'm sure it's a cost-saving measure for areas that aren't as urbanized, but I notice it the most when it's otherwise in an area that I figure is kinda affluent, or when I know I'm in a less-wealthy area but all the lights are on poles. So it's low-class, ugly, and annoyingly inconsistent.

e: oh, and I might've bitched about this before, but it is semi-irrationally infuriating when Google Maps doesn't quite understand that there's a way to turn into a place, so it expects you to drive past the thing, do a u-turn, or otherwise turn onto a road you don't need to. Don't make my trip more complicated than it needs to!

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 00:27 on May 24, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Jokes that everyone has heard. HEY DELIVERY DRIVER did you hear Fedex and UPS are merging? Into FEDUP.

OH THAT THING DIDN'T RING UP IT MUST BE FREE!

THIS HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL IS FINE I JUST PRINTED IT TODAY!

Shut up shut up!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

Jokes that everyone has heard. HEY DELIVERY DRIVER did you hear Fedex and UPS are merging? Into FEDUP.

OH THAT THING DIDN'T RING UP IT MUST BE FREE!

THIS HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL IS FINE I JUST PRINTED IT TODAY!

Shut up shut up!

This.

I just had to shave my beard that I've had for 5 years for my job, as what we're about to work on requires us to use half mask respirators.

For the past week all I've been getting is "Hey, who's the new guy?" And every other form of it under the sun.

Yes, I shaved, get over it. No, you're not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It seems to be happening a ton this past year or so, but whenever a friend first discovers the concept of "dad jokes", the next several weeks are insufferable as they tell you the same old ones the last friend to get into them did. I even think a lot of them are funny, but when you hear them for the 20th time it gets super old. Usually I don't spoil the punchline because that is kind of rude but it's getting to the point that I'm tired of giving fake polite chuckles and think it would be kinder to cut them off before they get into their routine.

Aaah gently caress there’s these ads on all the bus stops that say something like “DAD JOKES RULE!!” with a picture of a happy kid. Is this a fad now?

My bf tells dad jokes all the time (we don’t have kids) and it drives me insane.

Peeve: dad jokes.