Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, but for some reason famous people during the 50's, 60's, and 70's could have their uncomfortable proclivities swept under the rug. You literally had to rape a child and then flee the country to get labeled a creep and even then you were still considered a very talented creep.

Regardless, age of consent was a tricky topic in the 70's

age of consent was irrelevant because if you were, say, a madman of the motor city variety, and you met some prepubescent pacific islander child you wished to rape but drats! even those heathens think 12 is a *bit* young! there was a very simple way to realize your dream: simply pay the literal childs parents to sign over custody rights to you! now you're her legal guardian! and as any stepdad can tell you, the step stands for "step right up, fella it's rape o'clock"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
speaking of Ted Nugent adopting a child specifically for rapin', I'm watching Fawlty Towers and mostly it has aged so well, like a fine wine, or an "opposite of the stuff nugent likes to rape", but the thing that really stands out is how ppl are like "wow what a retarded dago spic" when Manuel has trouble understanding English. like they're always depicted as jerks and Manuel despite his language difficulties is a good guy and very clever and bright in his own way, but it's still so jarring to hear slurs like that just tossed around Willy nilly like it's no No Biggie

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think they ever said spic did they? I know they said dago a bunch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sure, it's been a thing, but it's not exactly common knowledge. If you asked 10 people how Rockwell made his illustrations, I'm not entirely sure any of them would answer correctly.

Fair enough. Just thought I'd share and didn't mean to lecture or anything. We're off topic a bit but to relate it to TV a little, I'm still amazed at a lot of the TV Guide illustrations that artists were able to pull off before you could just Google what someone looked like.

Also, Wide World of Sports has aged great. Never get tired of Evil Knievel breaking every bone in his body. In a lot of ways, that was the original "reality TV"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, Wide World of Sports has aged great. Never get tired of Evil Knievel breaking every bone in his body. In a lot of ways, that was the original "reality TV"

Him and the "Agony of Defeat" guy.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Gatekeeper posted:

speaking of Ted Nugent adopting a child specifically for rapin', I'm watching Fawlty Towers and mostly it has aged so well, like a fine wine, or an "opposite of the stuff nugent likes to rape", but the thing that really stands out is how ppl are like "wow what a retarded dago spic" when Manuel has trouble understanding English. like they're always depicted as jerks and Manuel despite his language difficulties is a good guy and very clever and bright in his own way, but it's still so jarring to hear slurs like that just tossed around Willy nilly like it's no No Biggie

Are you watching it on Netflix? Have they left in the Major's "all cricketers are niggers" bit from The Germans? The BBC started cutting it out during TV showings a few years ago, with the predictable outcry about airbrushing history from the papers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Nah...This has been pretty common for a LONG time. I have a degree in illustration from before computers were even really a thing. We used projectors and photo reference all the time. Xerox machines...collage...and you still have to know how to draw at least a little bit to even be able trace effectively, believe it or not.

I think the difference is more to do with cobbling your own reference photos versus swiping other people's stuff. I'm still amazed at how skilled the MAD Magazine illustrators were give how little reference material they had available at the time.

wait...what thread is this?

Things that a lot of people consider "cheating" aren't or were at a time considered trade secrets. Like using that "literally trace a thing that is alive" is a technique in animation. It's called rotoscoping. Instead of animating 3D models by hand motion capture is used a hell of a lot. If you take actual art classes they tell you that using a reference is a very good idea. Speaking of 3D modeling and animation it's a common technique to draw something face on, draw it from the side, and then basically use those to "trace" the model in 3D. This idea of "you have to do things totally from memory or you're a lovely artist" is utter nonsense. As far as art goes it isn't the tools you use that matters it's how you use them.

Then again in the case of Normal Rockwell he actually never considered himself an artist. He thought of himself as an illustrator. It's interesting that he became considered a prime example of Americana and is thought of as an artist given that that was never the intent at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gatekeeper posted:

Not to mention Basil constantly physically abusing him. Again, Basil is supposed to be a terrible person and most of the humor is watching him get his comeuppance but it's pretty crazy watching this pretentious twat beating Manuel over the head and people being just like eh whatever.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Horace posted:

Are you watching it on Netflix? Have they left in the Major's "all cricketers are niggers" bit from The Germans? The BBC started cutting it out during TV showings a few years ago, with the predictable outcry about airbrushing history from the papers.

I haven't watched it on Netflix, but it was on PBS for a long while which is where I watched it as a kid (early-mid 2000's). I don't remember that line specifically, but there was another one involving the Major that in hindsight I'm surprised wasn't cut, I think it was the episode where Basil won some money on horses and didn't want his wife to find out? Anyway, he tells this story about one time when he had to correct his travelling companion's choice of racial slur.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I watched the Germans episode on Netflix last weekend and can confirm the Major drops some N-bombs.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

catlord posted:

I haven't watched it on Netflix, but it was on PBS for a long while which is where I watched it as a kid (early-mid 2000's). I don't remember that line specifically, but there was another one involving the Major that in hindsight I'm surprised wasn't cut, I think it was the episode where Basil won some money on horses and didn't want his wife to find out? Anyway, he tells this story about one time when he had to correct his travelling companion's choice of racial slur.

That's the one. IIRC the audience doesn't react to the 'punchline', making it even more awkward to watch.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4BqzHEK6o

Make of it what you choose.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gatekeeper posted:

age of consent was irrelevant because if you were, say, a madman of the motor city variety, and you met some prepubescent pacific islander child you wished to rape but drats! even those heathens think 12 is a *bit* young! there was a very simple way to realize your dream: simply pay the literal childs parents to sign over custody rights to you! now you're her legal guardian! and as any stepdad can tell you, the step stands for "step right up, fella it's rape o'clock"

The 70's as a whole are a weird time when you start looking at it 40 years on. It looked a lot like a "modern" decade, but it really was the end of the old era. Women were becoming independent, cities were pulling more and more people out of rural areas, white people were moving out of cities to new suburbs as the interstate system was being built, and life expectancy was going up.

godogg
Dec 29, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I wonder if people were this angry once books were able to be mass produced. Why are you looking in a goddamn newfangled book for how to draw? Why don't you just go outside and learn to draw from the old masters? Stupid idiot kids.

Idiots get angry and defensive about every new thing.
Bicycles were considered a threat to family values because they let kids get farther away from their parents and into trouble faster than just walking.

FarmerTed posted:

What the hell's that? A bicycle? It's cheaper'n a horse? It's so easy to use my sweet daughter could ride it? No, I don't want one a those devil contraptions! My girl could ride it down to the road to the Smith farm and you know Smitty Jr only wants one thing and it's loving disgusting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Straight White Shark posted:

Not to mention Basil constantly physically abusing him. Again, Basil is supposed to be a terrible person and most of the humor is watching him get his comeuppance but it's pretty crazy watching this pretentious twat beating Manuel over the head and people being just like eh whatever.

John Cleese had said he was shocked when he found out that viewers liked Basil, since Basil is an absolutely horrible person. He reasoned that since Basil made the viewers laugh, they were more open to be sympathetic to him.

He also talked about an episode idea that he and Connie had about the Fawltys going on vacation to Spain to stay with Manuel's family. It was set in the airport, and on the plane, and how things kept delaying the take-off, frustrating Basil further and further. Eventually it would end with someone attempting to hijack the plane, and Basil snaps, attacking the hijacker, and successfully wrestling the gun away from him. The crew and passengers cheer at Basil's bravery and heroism.

And then Basil hijacks the plane, demanding the plane leave for Spain. The episode would end with Basil in a Spanish prison.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Davros1 posted:

John Cleese had said he was shocked when he found out that viewers liked Basil, since Basil is an absolutely horrible person. He reasoned that since Basil made the viewers laugh, they were more open to be sympathetic to him.

He also talked about an episode idea that he and Connie had about the Fawltys going on vacation to Spain to stay with Manuel's family. It was set in the airport, and on the plane, and how things kept delaying the take-off, frustrating Basil further and further. Eventually it would end with someone attempting to hijack the plane, and Basil snaps, attacking the hijacker, and successfully wrestling the gun away from him. The crew and passengers cheer at Basil's bravery and heroism.

And then Basil hijacks the plane, demanding the plane leave for Spain. The episode would end with Basil in a Spanish prison.

Yeah the characters don't really work outside the hotel. Sounds like an idea ('John Cleese irked by delays and misfortune to his otherwise regimented timetable and becoming more manic and physically aggressive') that would eventually morph into Clockwise.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Iron Crowned posted:

The 70's as a whole are a weird time when you start looking at it 40 years on. It looked a lot like a "modern" decade, but it really was the end of the old era. Women were becoming independent, cities were pulling more and more people out of rural areas, white people were moving out of cities to new suburbs as the interstate system was being built, and life expectancy was going up.

It was insanely weird. I was around for the birth of cable TV and got to see naked ladies if I could figure out a way to stay up that late at the age of 9 or 10 and people saying "gently caress" on my TV that used to only have 5 channels that were mostly filled with cartoons or Japanese rubber monsters.

All in the Family, Maude, MASH, Mary Tyler Moore, Good Times, The Jeffersons, The Six Million Dollar Man, SOAP, Taxi, and films like Saturday Night Fever, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Midnight Cowboy, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter and Taxi Driver really capture the essence of the 70's - all in very different ways.

I was born 1967 so :corsair:

I hit puberty during Reagan and was almost able to physically witness first hand the baton being passed from the hippies, to the lost and disaffected after Nixon and Watergate , through Carter's naive optimism straight through to neon clad wrestlers hawking Slim Jims , supply side economics, false patriotism and, ultimately, the yuppies who essentially gave us what we have now and who set the table for the 2008 financial crash. The 70's were basically aimless, flailing and desperate, which is reflected in the pop culture we're discussing, until the 80's came along and reminded us that, yes, it is indeed all about money after all and re-centered the dial. I got to see the idealism of the 60's give way to the aimlessness of the 70's and the full on consumerism of the 80's in real time. Cocaine and speed supplanted weed and L.S.D.

Now we all take legally prescribed pain killers so we're back to heroin only now it's above board. Painkillers are to the the 2010's what diet pills were to the 80's.

It's hard to say the best things that came out of the 70's but there was some really good TV, music and film through all the bullshit and a lot of it has aged really well.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

It's hard to say the best things that came out of the 70's but there was some really good TV, music and film through all the bullshit and a lot of it has aged really well.

Wasn't the New Hollywood era of filmmaking at it's peak in the 70's?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Fawlty Towers and birth of cable discussion reminds me of the first time I saw breasts sexualized on TV. Not in some schlocky horror film, but on a PBS-aired britcom about a newspaper office. They schemed to increase readership and at the top of the episode a bored-looking topless woman demonstrated shake versus bounce while the paper managers blandly discussed which would be more effective for their latest feature: a full-page 3D image complete with the old blue/red glasses. Sounds like absolute horseshit but I swear it's true, but I can't remember the name of the show and I kind of don't want to. I have no idea if the rest of the show was like that with overt sexual gags but even as a kid I felt it was weirdly out of place.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My wife has been reading The Little House on the Prarie to my daughters at bedtime and they sure are tough on the Red man!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Fawlty Towers and birth of cable discussion reminds me of the first time I saw breasts sexualized on TV. Not in some schlocky horror film, but on a PBS-aired britcom about a newspaper office. They schemed to increase readership and at the top of the episode a bored-looking topless woman demonstrated shake versus bounce while the paper managers blandly discussed which would be more effective for their latest feature: a full-page 3D image complete with the old blue/red glasses. Sounds like absolute horseshit but I swear it's true, but I can't remember the name of the show and I kind of don't want to. I have no idea if the rest of the show was like that with overt sexual gags but even as a kid I felt it was weirdly out of place.

Drop the Dead Donkey?
It was about a tv news station though.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Elder goon here. My first TV tittays was also on PBS - Monty Python in the mid 70's. Fun fact: seeing your first TV tittays is not as much fun when your mom is watching the show with you. But even after a few topless episodes, she never banned me from watching it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

Drop the Dead Donkey?
It was about a tv news station though.

That was my first thought too.

I did some digging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPix1ACxH6o&t=7s

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090453/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

quote:

Twiggy Rathbone's Daily Crucible is determined to keep abreast of the competition and Page Three is an outstanding target area. Meanwhile, young reporter Bill Tytla unearths the first clues to an international scandal bigger than anything Russell Spam could ever dream up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

One of the really, really bizarre things about fictional characters is that if you make somebody that's utterly abhorrent, has no redeeming qualities at all, and is bad enough that the cops would give you a pass if you literally murdered them is that they become everybody's favorite. I've heard of it referred to as the Bill the Cat effect.

Berkeley Breathed created Bill the Cat to be a character that was so absolutely repulsive that he had absolutely no merchandising potential. The character was basically a piece of anti-marketing. Literally the whole point of Bill the Cat was to be completely and totally reviled; liked by nobody. Instead he became everybody's favorite character and has sold a gently caress ton of merchandising.

Think about Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Everybody likes Carl. Even though if he was a real person and lived next to you you'd hate every minute of it when you put him in a fictional show he becomes everybody's favorite. I think it has to do with taking refuge in absurdity; if you make a character that's just impossibly awful people tend to like them.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Think about Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Everybody likes Carl. Even though if he was a real person and lived next to you you'd hate every minute of it when you put him in a fictional show he becomes everybody's favorite. I think it has to do with taking refuge in absurdity; if you make a character that's just impossibly awful people tend to like them.

Carl is not the worst individual on ATHF. He's constantly dumped on by everyone. He wants to be a badass, but the only time he really got to live out that dream was Larry Miller Hair System. Everyone else just clown him (once literally). Shake or Frylock are the worst. Shake has no redeeming qualities, but is an idiot. Frylock is on the surface is good, but is also the one who became a murdering stalker who wore the decaying body of the man he killed.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the really, really bizarre things about fictional characters is that if you make somebody that's utterly abhorrent, has no redeeming qualities at all, and is bad enough that the cops would give you a pass if you literally murdered them is that they become everybody's favorite. I've heard of it referred to as the Bill the Cat effect.

Berkeley Breathed created Bill the Cat to be a character that was so absolutely repulsive that he had absolutely no merchandising potential. The character was basically a piece of anti-marketing. Literally the whole point of Bill the Cat was to be completely and totally reviled; liked by nobody. Instead he became everybody's favorite character and has sold a gently caress ton of merchandising.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Watterson and Breathed, as I understand it, are good friends and would regularly roast each other with cartoons like that one.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Oh for sure, I love Bloom County (which is currently running in new strips on his facebook page).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gul Dukat is another example. The actor did such a good job with a complex character that people started really liking him despite him being Space Hitler, so they had to dial it past 11 to make sure people got that he was a loving villian

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Carl is not the worst individual on ATHF. He's constantly dumped on by everyone. He wants to be a badass, but the only time he really got to live out that dream was Larry Miller Hair System. Everyone else just clown him (once literally). Shake or Frylock are the worst. Shake has no redeeming qualities, but is an idiot. Frylock is on the surface is good, but is also the one who became a murdering stalker who wore the decaying body of the man he killed.

I'd say he is, really. Shake is too delusional to be truly terrible. He's very clearly severely wrong in the head and doesn't entirely understand his actions. Frylock is good most of the time he just, you know, has a few moments. Carl is just a relentlessly terrible and repugnant person in every way possible.

The Bloop posted:

Gul Dukat is another example. The actor did such a good job with a complex character that people started really liking him despite him being Space Hitler, so they had to dial it past 11 to make sure people got that he was a loving villian

I think the other side of that one is that he was also fanatically loyal to Cardassia overall and was perfectly willing to go to any end to further their ends. I think in that case people started admiring his conviction and loyalty. The issue is that he was loyal to, you know, Cardassians and they're like you said...loving villains. They are not nice people.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The Bloop posted:

Well, he did have a whole season or so where he was working with the good guys and was a cool pirate rebel fighting the Klingon invaders, so it's not like the viewer sympathy came out of nowhere.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Also every bajoran on the show was thoroughly unlikable while dukat did a fantastic reasonable hitler routine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

reasonable hitler

I mean seriously though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oldpainless posted:

Also every bajoran on the show was thoroughly unlikable while dukat did a fantastic reasonable hitler routine

Yeah the Bajorans had the "be sympathetic to us" poo poo piled on waaaayyyyy too thick. "We were philosophers and scientists with a 25,000 year old civilization and then military invasion and concentration camps."

"Every one of you is a turd."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MrUnderbridge posted:

Elder goon here. My first TV tittays was also on PBS - Monty Python in the mid 70's. Fun fact: seeing your first TV tittays is not as much fun when your mom is watching the show with you. But even after a few topless episodes, she never banned me from watching it.

Episode 1 of The Goodies, titties out of loving nowhere.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I recall a few quick flashes of TV titties on Benny Hill. God bless the British and their terrible television.

First real TV titties was late 70’s watching Sexy Candid Camera on someone’s massive satellite dish. Like there’s Alan Funt and BOOBIES!

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.
Canadian Goons might remember Bizarre which featured plenty of bare chests in between (and in) sketches.

Fitting for the thread is the fact that apart from the Super Dave Osborne sketches, nothing else really comes to mind as holding up very well.

Re-watching it is still a guilty pleasure though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I recall a few quick flashes of TV titties on Benny Hill. God bless the British and their terrible television.

Fun fact: every one of Hill's Angels gave Benny Hill a handjob.

(though, not all at the same time)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

spog posted:

Fun fact: every one of Hill's Angels gave Benny Hill a handjob.

(though, not all at the same time)

I know, given the nudie ladies and general misogynistic titillation of their shows, this may seem off. But I always thought Benny Hill was gay.

Much like Kenny Everett, who, (I am imagining), flamed as hard as a flaming homosexual could flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There's also when he got the Foreigner Belt.

Carl works because in a show about surreal black comedy nonsense he's a completely different flavour of mundane black comedy nonsense, and the constant collision just makes it all the funnier. Though I enjoyed watching him rant about American football. While the Aqua Teens have frequent amusing and often unsettling reminders that they're inhuman beings who don't really grasp human concepts (most of the time) while Carl is very recognisably human.