Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Had these little oval tins of Japanese sardines. One was I think soy sauce flavor (or at least that was the second ingredient) and the other was miso. Both were really sweet, I guess playing on a traditional preparation where the sardines are glazed. Anyway, they were good over rice with some pickles and kimchi on the side. Felt almost healthy after a long weekend of heavy drinking.

The fish were skinned and boneless but still firm and had a good taste. Unfortunately it was kind of muted by the strong sauces.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I put the last dab on some dines

Recommend highly

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Saveur magazine put together a list of 15 fancy sardine recipes. I'm thinking about making the sardine and chard casserole or the linguine with raisins and pine nuts.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Last time I ate a can of sardines my stomach started bothering me, and I wound up throwing up a pile of fishy chunky vomit. It was so disgusting that I'll never be able to eat sardines again.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

Male Tears posted:

Saveur magazine put together a list of 15 fancy sardine recipes. I'm thinking about making the sardine and chard casserole or the linguine with raisins and pine nuts.

Gonna get back to you in about a month; me and the significant fucker are gonna whip up a dine meal and share with you guys

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Last time I ate a can of sardines my stomach started bothering me, and I wound up throwing up a pile of fishy chunky vomit. It was so disgusting that I'll never be able to eat sardines again.

Do not let this deter you. It's worth it.

naem
May 29, 2011

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

you could have fed a baby penguin you monster

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i also thought i'd never be able to eat sardines again after i puked some up one time, then i was eating some six hours later

edit: i ate another can of sardines, i didn't eat the puke

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Had a lil can of sardines in tomato sauce from a brand called Ligo, from the Philippines. They were really big sardines! All deboned and cleaned. The sauce was strictly okay. The sardines tasted kind of like chunk light tuna, pretty mild. No fishy smell. Reasonably firm and didn't just break apart when fished out with a fork. Next time I'd add some hot sauce or something if I get em again.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Those Ligo sardines are good as a base ingredient for a recipe. Try making fisherman’s eggs with them!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Android Apocalypse posted:

Those Ligo sardines are good as a base ingredient for a recipe. Try making fisherman’s eggs with them!

Oh, good idea! I'll try that out next time.

Also if you ever see soy sauce preserved perilla leaves in a tin, they go really well with the Japanese tinned sardines too. It's been a fishy May in my house.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Had a lil can of sardines in tomato sauce from a brand called Ligo, from the Philippines. They were really big sardines! All deboned and cleaned. The sauce was strictly okay. The sardines tasted kind of like chunk light tuna, pretty mild. No fishy smell. Reasonably firm and didn't just break apart when fished out with a fork. Next time I'd add some hot sauce or something if I get em again.

Haven't yet seen a tomato sauce dine that has wowed me

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it's one thing to eat sardines out of the tin over the sink in your own home, but another to buy some on the way to your parent's house to eat over their sink (and share with your rats)

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
how long do youall spend draining the cans

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I drain my cans into my fleshlight.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That’s a weird term to call your mouth but I commend your flexibility.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Made this tonight with king Oscar tots and some fresh parsley and dill from the garden, it was :discourse:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifesty...BaMJ/story.html

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
brislings have ruined me for all other dines but fresh

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Bum the Sad posted:

I drain my cans into my fleshlight.

awesome idea that i need to try out soon

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
They had some fresh dines at the supermarket the other day, so I put those little fishes on the BBQ and :discourse:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Last week I went out for tapas with my girlfriend and she recommended the boquerones en vinagre unprompted.

Then last week, she noted my recently restocked dine store with pleasant surprise.

I think she might be the one :coolfish:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Greatbacon posted:

Last week I went out for tapas with my girlfriend and she recommended the boquerones en vinagre unprompted.

Then last week, she noted my recently restocked dine store with pleasant surprise.

I think she might be the one :coolfish:

Honeymoon in Spain.

naem
May 29, 2011

I think I like these fillets even more than brisling

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
The dad equivalent of posting hundos splayed on the couch.

Nice.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Jikes, I followed the link in your av thinking it was going to take me to Scary Go Round or his new comic. Instead I got to learn about 'dines.

Thank you.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
:tipshat:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
On a trip to the Asian market I got some cans of mackerel in black bean sauce among other things (mostly Sultan brand sardines which I'm sure have been talked about itt)

they're fantastic, almost chewy in texture from either frying or hot smoking, and the black bean sauce tastes like black bean sauce is supposed to, although oily of course. They had several brands of eel prepared the same way, which are probably very tasty but I tend to avoid eel blah blah sustainability. Going back to really stock up next week.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Hello sardine thread, I'm trying to save money so I dug out my forgotten stash of hurricane 'dines from Harvey's Wild Ride last year.

Here is crappy phone pic of my lunch. Cream cheese/dijon mustard spread with jalapeno KOs. (and radishes because I did not have red onions)

I am going to eat one can a day and keep you all updated if I figure out anything more interesting to do with them. I hope you're as excited as I am.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I am thoroughly anticipating your updates on using your vintage dines.

How was that meal? I can't tell if the vintage dines made it worthwhile.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

BaconCopter posted:

I am thoroughly anticipating your updates on using your vintage dines.

How was that meal? I can't tell if the vintage dines made it worthwhile.

It was good, but not as much heat as I expected. I definitely remember the jalapeño dines packing more of a punch last time I had them. The white stuff is just cream cheese, mayo and dijon mustard in equal parts with parsley and chives and chopped pickles thrown in with a squeeze of lemon juice. Might've used too much and overpowered the actual sardine flavor.

Tonight I'll use a can of the black pepper ones. I have a spaghetti squash and a package of alfredo sauce I need to use soon so maybe I'll try to do something with that.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bag of iceberg mix salad + tin of sardines + Italian dressing = tasty lazy (healthy?) dinner.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

Bag of iceberg mix salad + tin of sardines + Italian dressing = tasty lazy (healthy?) dinner.

Iceberg is by far the worst lettuce, though. Rocket (arugula) is a far better accompaniment for dines, love that peppery bite it brings

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I’m curious why you needed the Italian dressing. Was there not enough oil in the tin to make your own dressing?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Tonight for dinner I opened a tin of peppercorn 'dines and a can of stuffed grape leaves, threw them on a plate with some steamed broccoli and squeezed on generous amounts of lemon juice. Best/easiest/most filling 600 calorie meals I've ever had. These grape leaves own btw and are getting a place of honor in the pantry right next to my pyramid of sardines:

https://www.amazon.com/Konex-Foods-Grape-Leaves-Stuffed/dp/B018ZEKOOY

Although they are hella expensive online, I'm not sure why.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
yes dolmas own

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bardeh posted:

Iceberg is by far the worst lettuce, though. Rocket (arugula) is a far better accompaniment for dines, love that peppery bite it brings
I dunno I like it. It reminds me of the salad they give you at crappy Italian restaurants that I went to as a kid.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I’m curious why you needed the Italian dressing. Was there not enough oil in the tin to make your own dressing?
Nah not even close. It reminds me of the salad they give you at crappy Italian restaurants that I went to as a kid.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Trader Joe's sells decent dolmas!

Not a fan of the eggplant, though. It's alright, but the texture is off.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

my "default" for salad is baby spinach. tastes good - dare i say even by itself, works well with seasoning, still full of accessible nutrients even while not cooked. and there are so many ways you can cook with it. if you're cooking anything involved canned or boiled spinach then gtfo. don't spend a ton of money on those clear (imo small) plastic containers of organic spinach you see for like $5.00 each. get a non-organic brand name sold in bags as you're getting way more per cost. all the brands are "triple-washed" or whatever so that's not like it's unique to organic spinach or anything

iceberg lettuce is a tasteless filler packed with water. it's basically used as part of a physical delivery mechanism for getting the ranch from the salad bowl to your mouth

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Spinach is great but it can't just be substituted in as a direct replacement. Iceberg has a better texture and is three times cheaper than the lettuces that are comparable. Like yes I realize a bowl full of all the limp wilting leaves they put in the bags of spring mix is the healthiest thing but still going to mix some iceberg in there for body and crunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Iceberg is delicious, it has this subtle sweetness and great texture. Hate on. I'll buy it all for myself.