Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

does anyone at microsoft know that this is how people interact with their operation system https://twitter.com/DOM_Frederic/status/998731853669584896

that's the problem of whatever lovely company is supporting those displays, not microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I feel incredibly dirty for asking this, but does anyone have a legit download link for an XP iso? I need to make sure they are blocked with the host checks on our VPN and I don't have a good way to validate without it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I feel incredibly dirty for asking this, but does anyone have a legit download link for an XP iso? I need to make sure they are blocked with the host checks on our VPN and I don't have a good way to validate without it
would windows xp mode on windows 7 count?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

doesn't msdn still have them?
see if this works, assuming you have a valid msdn sub

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

doesn't msdn still have them?

I used to have access to that but they changed the licensing/access structure a few years ago and cut me off. I was hoping there were secret digital river links still up or something

anthonypants posted:

would windows xp mode on windows 7 count?

I have no idea if that will work with Parallels. worth a shot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think you're outta luck, they've pulled all those digitalriver file anyway iirc, but i don't think they ever hosted stuff from before windows 7 there.

just find a known good hash and face to torrents i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I have no idea if that will work with Parallels. worth a shot

i don't know if what you're doing is in anyway worth the time and effort involved, but you can pull the sysprepped image from the virtual PC instance in xp mode and just redeploy it in parallels

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

does anyone at microsoft know that this is how people interact with their operation system https://twitter.com/DOM_Frederic/status/998731853669584896

is there a subreddit or twitter for these or something? windows errors or pop-ups on billboards/atms/arcade machines/etc? i wouldnt even know what to search but i want more more more

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

is there a subreddit or twitter for these or something? windows errors or pop-ups on billboards/atms/arcade machines/etc? i wouldnt even know what to search but i want more more more

https://www.reddit.com/r/PBSOD

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ms hosed something up with display scaling this update. dragging stuff around to rearrange it in foobar is busted, it's moving relative as far as i can tell.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hifi posted:

ms hosed something up with display scaling this update. dragging stuff around to rearrange it in foobar is busted, it's moving relative as far as i can tell.

sad to hear, as i hoped this was the end of that poo poo, but the best-effort in this version can be disabled in the display settings

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

publishing a webb app on microsoft azure:

follow the simple tutorials, works fine

need to install pyodbc, can't because the compiler for sql.h has the wrong flag

welp

I ended up installing everything by hand forgoing everything ci. A person on stackexchange said for his purpose rewriting his app completely in c# would be quicker than getting microsoft to not hate python. Another weird thing I found while looking at documentation: You can't run java and c# side by side because of "technical reasons".

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
python is deprecated.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sad to hear, as i hoped this was the end of that poo poo, but the best-effort in this version can be disabled in the display settings

yeah i played with that and the application scaling setting fixed that although if i ever drag it to my high dpi monitor then the font is at like 4px, although it lives on my second monitor so whatever.

with a five second look at twitter it sounds like adobe stuff got hosed up more though so there's problems like button hot areas not lining up with the actual buttons, and it also might have changed some defaults to the blurry option so there's that too.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

trip report: XP mode nested VM inside a Win7 parallels crash crashes the Win7 kernel before the setup can complete to grab the vhd file. going digging around old network drives for someone's forgotten copy of an xp iso I guess

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

osx did an update last month or something and had no issues and didn't reset any privacy settings

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if that's a touchscreen just tap reboot now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

osx did an update last month or something and had no issues and didn't reset any privacy settings
all my settings, including dumb bullshit i typed into the terminal to unhide the user library, have been intact since i bought my first mac with 10.9

meanwhile, windows 10 can't even preserve settings between seasonal "creators" updates

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 22, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sonic: A Problem To Your Colon

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
is that a win ce in the wild :eyepop:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SupSuper posted:

It's at a Target price checker lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
im the $13 mojito

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

im the $13 mojito

two please

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I haven't used Windows in a long time. What happened ... ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SupSuper posted:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

wandows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ngrmadly

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

it's-free-software.png

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Windows? More like Wang-DOS, ammirite?

:mmmhmm:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nothing much, the current version of 10 is easily the best version ever, there is just also a rather fun set of nits to pick about it

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

akadajet posted:

i got a brand new f: drive when i updated windows 10. and guess what? it's low on disk space!

Two pages back, but my parents had this happen too. Frantic text messages from my father last night wondering if he got malware. Nope, just windows ten making a 450 drive partition and then immediately bitching it's low on space.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

infernal machines posted:

tbf it's because all these display systems are just hacked together poo poo that no one manages or maintains

my brother worked in signage, and can confirm. they are just slapped together NUCs with VNC for remote desktop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phoenixan posted:

all my settings, including dumb bullshit i typed into the terminal to unhide the user library, have been intact since i bought my first mac with 10.9

meanwhile, windows 10 can't even preserve settings between seasonal "creators" updates

you don't need to go into library more than like once a year maybe?, why unhide it?

if you really need it, just use terminal or cmd-shift-G or whatever

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apparently if you set windows to english language with latvian keyboard layout, there will be a ghost english keyboard layout sometimes appearing on language switch but invisible in both settings menus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

does it randomly just change layouts on you too?

that was always fun in vista/7 when microsoft would by default include the candian french layout if your region was set to canada.