Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

How DARE they subject the Ro-Bear Berbils to that design.

I don't get people getting upset over this and I watched the poo poo out of the original as a kid. Hell if this does well it'll bring more light on the old series and there'll be an incentive to bring that back as a comic/miniseries/movie/anything. They should be excited that Thundercats isn't being completely forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
a cursory glance at calarts complaints and responses on twitter tells me that the originator of this complaint was the child molester john k complaining about the iron giant of all things and that the creators of steven universe didnt even attend calarts so

site fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 22, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

duck trucker posted:

How DARE they subject the Ro-Bear Berbils to that design.

I don't get people getting upset over this and I watched the poo poo out of the original as a kid. Hell if this does well it'll bring more light on the old series and there'll be an incentive to bring that back as a comic/miniseries/movie/anything. They should be excited that Thundercats isn't being completely forgotten.

I remember there was a Thundercats reboot comic about 10 years ago. Wilykit had grown up to become Mumm-ra's sex slave while Cheetara was being held prisoner in his henchmen's sex dungeon.

I don't know if this series or a different one was the one that had the incredible line, "Tonight we mark our territory... with BLOOD!"

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I don't like this new Thundercats animation, but I also tried to re-watch the original and it was loving garbage.

Basically...gently caress these CHUD, mouth-breathing, harassing pieces of poo poo.

That's my take. Next caller?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
They did. In 2011. CN hosed it over repeatedly, then when LEGO gave them a better toy deal for something they dumped it a quarter of the way into the second season's production. Naturally, this mean it was a bad reboot and we needed another cheap-to-make noodlearm gag show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ryonguy posted:

They did. In 2011. CN hosed it over repeatedly, then when LEGO gave them a better toy deal for something they dumped it a quarter of the way into the second season's production. Naturally, this mean it was a bad reboot and we needed another cheap-to-make noodlearm gag show.

Look. Get the gently caress out of here.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember there was a Thundercats reboot comic about 10 years ago. Wilykit had grown up to become Mumm-ra's sex slave while Cheetara was being held prisoner in his henchmen's sex dungeon.

I don't know if this series or a different one was the one that had the incredible line, "Tonight we mark our territory... with BLOOD!"

Lol yeah it was complete poo poo.

site posted:

a cursory glance at calarts complaints and responses on twitter tells me that the originator of this complaint was the child molester john k complaining about the iron giant of all things and that the creators of steven universe didnt even attend calarts so

"People who complain about CalArts style are pedos" is the best take out of this whole thing. Wait, did I say best take? I meant most blatant misuse of logic this side of a Trump twitter post.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it's just people pissed that the new Cheetara design will be harder to jack off to.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Really? It's such a nothing to get worked up over. At worst it's a bad cartoon that mocks fans of its original. There's no higher social principles involved, or anything vaguely political. What is there to snowball into something like Gamergate?

Is it just that Thundercats fans are in more in the angry old man age range?

A lot of people my age (mid-to-late twenties) have somehow managed to cargo-cult 80's nostalgia because it's something we all vaguely remember from our childhoods due to syndication and as teenagers it's what all the authoritative grognards had the most loud attraction to. Don't ask me to explain it, but it hit some people hard.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Look. Get the gently caress out of here.
No, I want to see how many more disingenuous defenses of bad art posters are going to make.

Skwirl posted:

I think it's just people pissed that the new Cheetara design will be harder to jack off to.
See, how could I leave when gold like this is getting posted?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the 2011 reboot was just a shameless aping of the Avatar faux-anime style and also fuckin sucked

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best thing about Thundercats was it produced that “MOTHER...FUCKER” .wav that endlessly delighted 17-year-old me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ryonguy posted:

Lol yeah it was complete poo poo.

"People who complain about CalArts style are pedos" is the best take out of this whole thing. Wait, did I say best take? I meant most blatant misuse of logic this side of a Trump twitter post.

He didn't call you a pedo, he said the person who started complaining about Cal Arts is a pedo and that Cal Arts doesn't have the deathgrip on the industry you claim it does.

I don't follow children's cartoons closely so maybe I missed it, but you bringing up the Cal Arts thing is the first time I ever heard about it

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
People who think CalArts has a loving house style have never been to an Arts focused college. Like, not to take classes, they may have never been in the same county as one. It’s literally the opposite of how poo poo works.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Alaois posted:

the 2011 reboot was just a shameless aping of the Avatar faux-anime style and also fuckin sucked

If by aping you mean "shared some of the same staff" then I guess it was just aping it, yeah.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There are people who just don't like it who said that they did not like it and moved on. Set foot into any place that discusses cartoons outside said and there are so freaking outs unending over a remake of a 30 year old cartoon.

Even if it's not a politics thing there's something deeply wrong with people who have this as the only problem in their lives and cannot calm down about it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

business hammocks posted:

The best thing about Thundercats was it produced that “MOTHER...FUCKER” .wav that endlessly delighted 17-year-old me.

Hey Thundercats also had one of the best character themes of all time :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11XJ83tzjw

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

He didn't call you a pedo, he said the person who started complaining about Cal Arts is a pedo and that Cal Arts doesn't have the deathgrip on the industry you claim it does.

I don't follow children's cartoons closely so maybe I missed it, but you bringing up the Cal Arts thing is the first time I ever heard about it

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/directors-of-disney-pixar-and-dreamworks-films-22482.html

Mr. Maltose posted:

People who think CalArts has a loving house style have never been to an Arts focused college. Like, not to take classes, they may have never been in the same county as one. It’s literally the opposite of how poo poo works.

Lol okay sure thing dude, sorry about your vision problems.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wow you discovered that calarts has been heavily funded by disney and a lot of people who go there end up working for disney

wasnt this a discussion about cartoon network a minute ago

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait poo poo the croods came out in 20 loving 11?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

site posted:

wow you discovered that calarts has been heavily funded by disney and a lot of people who go there end up working for disney

wasnt this a discussion about cartoon network a minute ago

Ok

the article you're too lazy to read posted:

A similar chart could be made for TV series produced at Nick and Cartoon Network. CalArts alumni have created Spongebob, El Tigre, Dexter’s Lab, Powerpuff Girls, My Life as a Teenage Robot, The X’s, Time Squad, Adventure Time, Fairly OddParents, The Regular Show, the list goes on and on.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah this whole "CalArts style" meme is total nonsense that's being spread around by disingenuous people who have no clue about animation. At this point it is largely just a codeword for "SJW art don't like it bluch". It's been used as a pejorative for years, during which time the popular stylistic trends in animation have changed repeatedly, which sort of underlines its meaninglessness. Half the time it means, "I think anything that isn't a pseudo-realistic style is bad".

https://twitter.com/wyattmihn/status/997671032239611904

Note the weird focus on gender as opposed to things like composition, silhouette and motion i.e. actual animation concerns.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like they have a pretty decent track record to me. :shrug:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
If Cal Arts is dominating every mainstream area of animation for 20+ years, and we can simply use our eyes to see that not everything in the past 20 years has looked the same, then how does this jive with the "point" that a singular Cal Arts "style" exists?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also like, listing Spongebob as an example of a "CalArts style" cartoon is hilarious because it's obviously heavily influenced by Ren and Stimpy, whose creator, an infamous crank, originated the pejorative use of the term to describe styles he didn't like. This also underlines just how useless it is as a descriptor. Most of the cartoons in that list have notably distinct styles, even those that came out in the same time period.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
funny how all those shows in the 00s had a particular style that evolved into a different style in the 2010s but also calarts is all one style

and again this started with someone complaining about the iron giant which as far as i can tell doesnt look anything like the powerpuff girls or steven universe, and even those two compared to each have major stylistic differences, but maybe my eyes are just bad

and going off this master list that was also linked to in your article, calart is heavily represented but not a dominating force

anyways, im done humoring you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Also like, listing Spongebob as an example of a "CalArts style" cartoon is hilarious because it's obviously heavily influenced by Ren and Stimpy, whose creator, an infamous crank, originated the pejorative use of the term to describe styles he didn't like. This also underlines just how useless it is as a descriptor. Most of the cartoons in that list have notably distinct styles, even those that came out in the same time period.

What are you talking about Tarzan and Toy Story 2 look basically identical

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Yeah this whole "CalArts style" meme is total nonsense that's being spread around by disingenuous people who have no clue about animation. At this point it is largely just a codeword for "SJW art don't like it bluch". It's been used as a pejorative for years, during which time the popular stylistic trends in animation have changed repeatedly, which sort of underlines its meaninglessness. Half the time it means, "I think anything that isn't a pseudo-realistic style is bad".

https://twitter.com/wyattmihn/status/997671032239611904

Note the weird focus on gender as opposed to things like composition, silhouette and motion i.e. actual animation concerns.

I saw this tweet on Polygon's actually researched takedown of the "CalArts" complaint (hint: people were making the same complaint 20 years ago and it was just as untrue then as it is now) and I have to assume it's being ironic that they chose a picture of some identical anime things as the "good" art.

Also original Thundercats was godawful 80s toy commercial garbage that somehow made He-Man seem good in comparison, so getting as far away from that as possible can only be a positive thing as far as I'm concerned. And I was the prime age for it when it was being made.

I guess animation just needed its "gate"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I miss the Sunbow look from the early-mid 80s. I guess it’s no longer profitable for cartoons to be made in huge Korean sweatshops and so we’ll never see its grungy style again?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

I saw this tweet on Polygon's actually researched takedown of the "CalArts" complaint (hint: people were making the same complaint 20 years ago and it was just as untrue then as it is now) and I have to assume it's being ironic that they chose a picture of some identical anime things as the "good" art.

I'm not really defending the argument, but those are two characters who are twins.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
But when will the <blank>companies start making products tailored specifically for me, a middle classed 18-40 yr old suburban heterosexual white male?!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

business hammocks posted:

I miss the Sunbow look from the early-mid 80s. I guess it’s no longer profitable for cartoons to be made in huge Korean sweatshops and so we’ll never see its grungy style again?

Pretty much almost every style older than 20 years is gonna be hard to reproduce at this point because of costs. Guess we are going to have to wait for computer tech to get to the point where it can replicate hand animated things cheaply. I imagine the future is AI driven replacing the sweatshops of old, with keyframe work being heavily supported by software as well, though it will still have actual artists at the wheel directing the look of the project.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

good day for a bris posted:

Synergy! Also, noone in their target audience would recognize the others.

As opposed to Bumblebee, Jessica Cruz, and Zatanna? I dunno if "Wonder Girl" is as hard a sell as the the ones who don't have an S or a bat on their chest. I'm not like heartbroken over it or anything, it's just an odd choice. The shorts used Wonder Girl I thought.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

SonicRulez posted:

As opposed to Bumblebee, Jessica Cruz, and Zatanna? I dunno if "Wonder Girl" is as hard a sell as the the ones who don't have an S or a bat on their chest. I'm not like heartbroken over it or anything, it's just an odd choice. The shorts used Wonder Girl I thought.

True but I know from experience my four year old knows who Wonder Woman is usually. It's one thing to see a new character, it's another to see a replacement version.

Edit: For the record I am speaking as to the mind of a four year old here, not those CHUDs who unironically bitch about "Ess Jay You-Know-Whos" and unironically think Sam Wilson, Jane Foster, and Miles Morales are diluting the brand of their favorite characters.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 23, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, I think this one has legs. It's sucked in a lot of latent reactionary hatred and general dissatisfaction with Cartoon Network and modern animation in general that people have had for years. Every idiot who hates Teen Titans Go is hopping onto this bandwagon. Everyone who misses realistically proportioned muscleman cartoons is on board too. Everyone who hates how lgbt-friendly Steven Universe is feels validated by the hatred this is getting. Everyone who doesn't understand how the costs of animation have skyrocketed in the past 20 years resulting in simpler animation is all too happy for a scapegoat.

This isn't just a movie that'll come and be gone like Ghostbusters 2016. It's targeting an entire company and industry that's got a lot of LGBT people working in it. I think it's going to keep getting uglier.

Honestly though I think it's only good for the show in the long run. I mean if you look on Youtube for Teen Titans Go the second result behind actual clips from the show are these dumbasses making reaction videos and long-winded rants about how ~terrible~ it is that the big bad network is ruining their nostalgia and how no one actually likes the show and it's only being broadcast because a whole loving company doesn't want money but actually just wants to piss them off personally. Only now I guess instead of 20-30 year olds it'll be middle-aged nerds whining on camera.

What I'm saying is that people will not simply not watch the show, like you're supposed to do with things you don't like, they're going to watch it to make sure they can tell everyone how bad it is, ironically giving it the views and interest it needs to live.

I still can't believe these idiots use soy boys as an unironic insult.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The other two Thundercats shows looking like every other action cartoon of their era is the funniest part about this whole thing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The best thing about Thundercats is the logo

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

The best thing about Thundercats is the logo

Thundercats and Cobra logos are both really cool.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Monaghan posted:

Hey Thundercats also had one of the best character themes of all time :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11XJ83tzjw

Thundercats had a pretty fantastic overall soundtrack. But like most '80s cartoon with good soundtracks it was the same dozen or so tracks over and over again for dozens of episodes. It's not quite at the level of Inspector Gadget of Mysterious Cities of Gold, but then again you can't really compare anyone favorably to Shuki Levy when it comes to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nodosaur posted:

If by aping you mean "shared some of the same staff" then I guess it was just aping it, yeah.

Where? The 2011 cartoon seems to be mostly people who would eventually work on Teen Titans GO, and Studio 4C.

Voltron is basically most of the Korra staff going to Dreamworks.