Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Serf posted:

what if every person playing is new? what if your character concept is "charismatic axeman" and you need that sweet CHA to make it work?

Paladin? Valor Bard?

Reik fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

glitchwraith posted:

I have a buddy who ended up in an office DnD game, mostly newbies to the game. One guy wanted to play a kind of criminal master mind who never got his hand dirty, leaving that to his goons. With this in mind, he proceeded to make a rogue with his highest stat in Charisma, who refuses to ever participate in combat. When it was pointed out that Bard would be better mechanically suited to this, he complained about not wanting to be a dumb lute player. Not surprisingly, the character is useless in the game.

Yes, a good DM would have seen how the character was being made and guided them to better options. But the fact remains that the players handbook does a terrible job of emphasizing how much or how little a stat will matter in the long run to new players, because with the exception of a blink or you'll miss it suggestion at the start of each class, each stat is presented as equally important.

Sounds like the player is a dick.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

Paladin?

and if you don't want the whole religion or magical aspects of the class?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Reik posted:

How else are you going to track a benefit that shouldn't be a full +1 modifier but should get you closer towards one. For example, taking two feats that both give +1 Strength.

Wait, you suggest I stop swimming in a lake of poo poo? But I already have these poo poo floaties!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Serf posted:

and if you don't want the whole religion or magical aspects of the class?

Convert 3.5 Marshall.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

Convert 3.5 Marshall.

i mean if we're homebrewing you might as well just let the fighter use CHA as their main attribute

e: lol

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Reik posted:

Convert 3.5 Marshall.

And that's adding a bunch more busywork for the DM by lifting a new class wholesale which may or may not be balanced if he has time to playtest it or is a newb themselves.

The whole "goons with dirty work" isn't really something that works in D&D unless you're a summoner or necromancer, and those spells are few and far between in 5e. Hirelings in the DMG are intended for noncombat roles mostly.

For the Rogue PC I might have delved into some 3rd party material to see if they have a Lazylord equivalent to 5e. But I don't know if there is one offhand.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Serf posted:

i mean if we're homebrewing you might as well just let the fighter use CHA as their main attribute

e: lol

Just let the guy buy 15 str, 14 con, 13 cha then? He'll be fine. Multiclass swashbuckler a bit.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Libertad! posted:

The whole "goons with dirty work" isn't really something that works in D&D unless you're a summoner or necromancer, and those spells are few and far between in 5e. And hirelings in the DMG are intended for noncombat roles mostly.

You could probably make it work in 4th edition with the Lazy Warlord, where you spend your time buffing and healing allies, which you rp as giving orders to the "goons".
fake edit: Heh, beaten.

But that's besides the point. DnD is marketed as this game where you can role-play as almost any kind of fantasy character you want to play, yet when a new player tries to design their character around that lofty ideal, it more often than not punishes them for it. DMs can help with a lot of guidance or extra work homebrewing, but the issue is that the designers of the game sell it as one thing, but design it as another.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Reik posted:

What would be gained?

If you don't understand the rules enough to know that you shouldn't make a 15 Charisma fighter, your DM should help you out. If you understand the rules enough and do it anyway, you're a jerk player.

So given that someone would only do it if they hadn't understood the rules or were being a dick on purpose, you'd agree that the ability to make a fighter with their highest score in Charisma is the game offering a false choice?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My players want me to run a 1-shot this weekend because the cleric has to work late and can't make it. I just had an idea, and I am not sure if it's awesome or really bad yet. I want to have them recreate The Warriors. Basically they go to a gathering for mercenaries/pirates/covens whatever, and someone assassinates the guy who organized all these scoundrels. Then they have to fight their way out of an urban gauntlet, while beset by differently themed merc gangs. I'll have them start with two random characters each, one can pop in when the other gets themselves killed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrEmF4SK3T4

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
posting in the 5e thread is a false choice

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Like, I want to respond to things, but this discussion is so ridiculous that I'm not sure how to approach it.

But that's not really new

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

So given that someone would only do it if they hadn't understood the rules or were being a dick on purpose, you'd agree that the ability to make a fighter with their highest score in Charisma is the game offering a false choice?

Depends on their build, but most of the time, Charisma is a bad choice.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I DM for a group of newbies and can confirm explaining spell slots and "do i get 3rd level spells at level 3". They only just started to grasp knowing spells vs. preparing spells, honestly.
Here's what you do: tell the fighter to put his stats in STR, and when he wants to be charismatic, just let him do it regardless of what his paper says there. Give him advantage on his +0 persuasion roll when he gets really into it.
It's dumb to try and sideline that player actually roleplaying with some dumb "actually your WIS is only 11, you wouldn't behave that way" mentality.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Reik posted:

Depends on their build, but most of the time, Charisma is a bad choice.

What fighter builds are primary Cha?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
One thats called a Bard

Or hexblade

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

What fighter builds are primary Cha?

Fighter 5/Rogue 5/Warlock 10

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Reik posted:

Ah yes, that classic Fighter build.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Ah yes, that classic Fighter build.

:thejoke:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is it a joke?! I don't know what the gently caress is going on in this thread any more.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Reik posted:

The ability to put Cha primary for your fighter is not a false choice if you're actually making a warlock instead?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
This thread has somehow gotten even worse today and I blame everyone who touched Reik’s poop posting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
How good this thread is is proportional to how far away the topic it's discussing is from D&D NEXT: Dungeons & Dragons: The Fifth One.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blockhouse posted:

Is it a joke?! I don't know what the gently caress is going on in this thread any more.

The fact that it's true makes it the best kind of joke.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

But yeah not having fighters be good is more of a issue of deceptive labeling than an actual in-practice mechanical issue. You can build a totally awesome fighter if you're okay with the class field of your character sheet not saying fighter.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think warlock actually achieves every fighter design goal you could possibly want except being called "fighter".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
warlock: it's cool

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I got it already and that's why I said that.

e: Like, I knew he was just shitposting when he started tossing in circular logic lmao

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kaysette posted:

This thread has somehow gotten even worse today and I blame everyone who touched Reik’s poop posting.
Dude, this is a civilized forum.

It's p**p, you barbarian.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
A warlock barbarian who burns all his spells and goes into a rage because he's just a martial class now.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

The ability to put Cha primary for your fighter is not a false choice if you're actually making a warlock instead?

I'm sorry the player has to put in a loving iota of effort to make a character that has a good Charisma score and fulfills the "fighter" role?

Bunch of loving crybabies.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
This is the best thing that's happened all week

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Reik posted:

I'm sorry the player has to put in a loving iota of effort to make a character that has a good Charisma score and fulfills the "fighter" role?

Okay so we've had this argument like a hundred times before. There's a difference between, "hey thread, how can I do <thing> within the strictures of D&D The V" versus, "is D&D The V well designed toward <goal> or indeed, any goals at all?"

Can D&D be played and be fun? Sure! I love dumbmans and dragons. It's great!

Is it a well designed game? Well... no. It isn't. Counter-intuitive design is like the hallmark of bad design. Pretending otherwise is just ignoring like 20+ years of game design.

Like, no, it isn't 'hard' to make a 'Fighter' using a Warlock; nothing about PnP gameplay is 'hard' in the way that, say, fixing up an old car or running a marathon is 'hard'. D&D is supposed to be evangelized a.) by it's namebrand and b.) by us, the players. There are no (current) television ads for D&D. There's no movie trailer. People are sucked in by podcasts and watching games at their local store. And that enthusiasm should be rewarded. "Those louts didn't even read this whole book to figure out the nuances of what they want to achieve" is a real stupid take. I don't know about you but the way I play boardgames with friends is that one person is usually the most familiar with the rules and then they teach it to other people.

If you were to explain the Friendly Fighter problem to a newbie, I'd have to convince him that what he wants is a Warlock, not a Fighter, and that's nuance that will be lost on someone who is just dealing with, "So what's this roleplaying thing I've been hearing about?"

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Reik posted:

:qqsay:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

Just let the guy buy 15 str, 14 con, 13 cha then? He'll be fine. Multiclass swashbuckler a bit.

so now we're not gonna homebrew in an entire class from 3.5?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

This is the best thing that's happened all week

It's only Tuesday, things can get ever weirder.

So, I guess since I'm posting the 5e thread, I might as well ask the question on my mind. I want to make a professional wrestler. I want to do grabs and throws and strikes. What is the method through which D&D Next, the game in which I will eventually play this character, allows me to approximate that? Because searching the internet for ideas has left me going "But I just want to superkick dudes and throw them your sperglords."

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Serf posted:

so now we're not gonna homebrew in an entire class from 3.5?

Rogue with swashbuckler archetype.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

karmicknight posted:

It's only Tuesday, things can get ever weirder.

So, I guess since I'm posting the 5e thread, I might as well ask the question on my mind. I want to make a professional wrestler. I want to do grabs and throws and strikes. What is the method through which D&D Next, the game in which I will eventually play this character, allows me to approximate that? Because searching the internet for ideas has left me going "But I just want to superkick dudes and throw them your sperglords."

You could either go the Monk route or the fighter route. For Monk take the Grappler and Brawny feats, for Fighter add in the Tavern Brawler feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The majority of the games I play in top out around level 7 or so, and I like playing Fighters in 5E. Battle Master is fun as heck for me, and pretty much just what I always wanted out the class. The ability to yell the name of special moves you are about to do. I never minded playing the mundane martial guy. Maybe I'm broken.
Picking Fighter (or Rogue sometimes) frees up a bunch of cool "swordsman" "plucky hero" characters I come up with for fun. 5E Rogue has only let me down by removing Whip from their proficiency. I just straight up asked my DM if I can trade Whip for the boring but best Rapier.

I know everyone wants their Fighter to compete with Wizard and stuff, but I'm kind of okay letting those Wizard players play out that fantasy. I never feel like Fighter isn't doing what I want it do. I never got the impression that Fighter meant Hercules, either. That's not to say you couldn't think of it that way, I'm not trying to be reductive!

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 23, 2018