Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Brian Cashman doesn't get enough credit for just how badly he fleeces opposing GMs in trade after trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I hope he fleeces one for a good starting pitcher at some point this year.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
The gently caress is going on in Texas tonight with all these homeruns?

I think that's 14 in 3 games for the Yankees now?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

First time in franchise history to have 4+ homers in three straight games. Insane.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

This team loving owns

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tanaka's issue is that if a pitch isn't working, he can't work around it. He used to be able to grind out quality starts with one pitch being iffy, but since he isn't throwing the FB practically at all, if both the split and slider aren't cooperating on a given night, he can bury himself with the walks.

Solo shots won't kill you, especially with this offense.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

even though didi has been in a mega slump, he's still slugging .519 at the moment and based on what thescore app says in the boxscore of tonight's game the Yankees had 6 batters at that .519 SLG or higher in their starting 9

that seems really good

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm really tempted to go Sunday to watch Ohtani pitch, but Friday is also a good day to because he'll be DHing

I want to go to see him get shelled or to get struck out four times

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I just can't get behind the Aaron Hicks leadoff thing.

Edit: Yeah... We're gonna need some starters.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 23, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Very glad to see Yankee pitching show up against the 29th best offense in the league.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I'm really tempted to go Sunday to watch Ohtani pitch, but Friday is also a good day to because he'll be DHing

I want to go to see him get shelled or to get struck out four times

Friday has some sort of freezer glass give away if that helps anything.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

I totally agree, Frazier is probably the hitting prospect I’ve been most excited about since the Miller trade. He deserves a chance at the bigs in New York

I’m also really disappointed in Hicks. Had a nice season last year but he’s gone back to Minnesota levels this season. Really thought he was gonna break out in a big way this year but I guess these are those misses in player development that happen

Even in his slump, he was a way different player than he used to be. Hicks has a way different profile in terms of underlying metrics than he did in Minnesota. He's a valuable contributor.

Paul Zuvella posted:

This idea that Brandon Drury is some great hitter is really weird. Dude is a slightly below average MLB bat, which is exactly what Andujar is currently. The difference is that Andujar has the potential to mash taters like no ones business and Drury does not.

OBP matters, and at least for now he's better defensively.

mcmagic posted:

Gonna be rough to send Austin down when Bird comes back.

gently caress the stupid gigantic bullpens, although I can't see him continuing this with a 30%+ strikeout rate, even though he's come back to Earth.

(And they really should consider selling high on Didi and making Gley the SS... Did is both great and someone who we should sell high on, if he could be used to land an ace.)

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 23, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Even in his slump, he was a way different player than he used to be. Hicks has a way different profile in terms of underlying metrics than he did in Minnesota. He's a valuable contributor.

I don't get the love of Hicks. He's had 2+ months as an above avg major leaguer in his life. He's a classic 4th outfielder.

I know you hate Andujar but his defense has actually been good and it's not like Drury is this great player. His career OPS is lower than Andujar's this season even with his bad OBP. And Andujar has hit at ever level. He's not going to have a OBP in the 290s at the end of the year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

of course OBP matters, but its not the only thing that matters and slugging matters just as much.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

mcmagic posted:

I don't get the love of Hicks. He's had 2+ months as an above avg major leaguer in his life. He's a classic 4th outfielder.

He has 1.1 WAR through a fifth of the season, despite already missing some time, which means 5+ WAR in a full season. That’s All-Star level performance.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I can't wait for all of the incredibly dumb takes about how the Yankees need to trade for Hamels now.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Yankees definitely need a pitcher but doing anything now would be a panic move. This is one of those losses that just blends with everything else over the course of the year

Gleyber has 7 dingers and I have no idea what he’s gonna finish at

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

The Yankees definitely need a pitcher but doing anything now would be a panic move.

For sure but also Hamels is playing so far over his head right now. Career low GB% and career high hard-hit% are not good bedfellows.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

The Yankees definitely need a pitcher but doing anything now would be a panic move. This is one of those losses that just blends with everything else over the course of the year

Saying the Yankees shouldn't panic over one road loss is an incredibly hot take!!!!

Cole is actually an interesting trade option because he is essentially expiring so he would be cheap.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Cole is actually an interesting trade option because he is essentially expiring so he would be cheap.

I don’t actually think this is the case. He’s the best of an incredibly thin trade market and the Yankees aren’t the only team looking for starting pitching. Also since he has a NTC, he can essentially force the Yankees to pick up his option before agreeing to waive the NTC.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Gleyber has 7 dingers and I have no idea what he’s gonna finish at

It's only a panic move if they overpay... I would definitely not overpay but I would also rather have Hamels than Fulmer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CC just walked a guy with a 400 OPS.... It's that kind of night huh?

LOL 3 run homer to another AAer. Nice.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

CC just walked a guy with a 400 OPS.... It's that kind of night huh?

lmao i love your reactions to completely normal, innocuous things.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Not so innocuous.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's been a real ugly series from a pitching perspective but it's only one series. Doesn't inspire confidence though considering how bad the Rangers offense is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

It's been a real ugly series from a pitching perspective but it's only one series. Doesn't inspire confidence though considering how bad the Rangers offense is.

Blowing a 4-0 lead against this lineup is embarrassing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Thank you Cubs Thank you Cubs Thank you Cubs Thank you Cubs Thank you Cubs Thank you Cubs Thank you Cubs

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

There are 162 games in a baseball season, crazy poo poo happens all the time and sometimes bad offenses hit. 2 home runs in an extremely home run friendly park is not something that should even ping a panic radar.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

There are 162 games in a baseball season, crazy poo poo happens all the time and sometimes bad offenses hit. 2 home runs in an extremely home run friendly park is not something that should even ping a panic radar.

It's not like the starting pitching being shaky should be a surprise to anyone. We all knew that was the weakest part of the team all offseason.

That judge homer was hit kinda hard...

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

That deficit didn't last long

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Aaron Judge hits baseballs where men can barely hit them

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Aaron Judge hits baseballs where men can barely hit them

I burst out laughing when he hit it, ridiculous.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Robertson you've got to be kidding me with this poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's not what you want.

Also how the hell was that only the 6th inning.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

It's not what you want.

Also how the hell was that only the 6th inning.

This bullpen outside of Green and Chapman has been garbage all season. Robertson has been especially terrible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dellin has actually been pretty on point since that opening series.

EDIT: I did this. Although Romine should have blocked that curve.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 24, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Dellin has actually been pretty on point since that opening series.

EDIT: I did this.

He's awful.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

He's awful.

I mean, he's not but I know better than to try to fight this out with you.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, he's not but I know better than to try to fight this out with you.

His ERA is over 5 and he's giving up 2 homers per 9. He's nowhere near the same pitcher. He has a negative WAR this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

I think all but one or two of his runs allowed came in his second inning of work, though. Maybe they should just stop using him for more than 1. Don't know why Boone keeps forcing the issue.

• Locked thread