Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Emerald Warden the Semi-Carry

gently caress that green furry ICBM factory

Caw! *wizard orb cracking*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is semi carry not a thing now?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It’s difficult to consistently win in the midgame. If your draft ignores the lategame (i.e. doesn’t draft a farm-enabled “carry” and instead picks up a lane dominating “semi-carry”), the odds are against you.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't understand the terminology. Is the idea that you draft three utility cores instead of having a true carry?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't understand the terminology. Is the idea that you draft three utility cores instead of having a true carry?

That's the general idea. The semi-carry would lane better and come online faster. The term lost a lot of meaning when normal "farming" cores would start buying either utility or stronger early game items to start fighting or ganking. I don't remember the real turning point in the meta, but talents had a noticeable impact.

Carries that strictly farm or gank and lack some fluidity kinda got lost in this shuffle to varying degree. I don't think any heroes are unplayable but AM clinkz and ember are in weird spots right now.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It just means a core that comes online super fast but generally can't stand up to a late game right click battle. Like a mid Zeus is a good example since he can control a game starting very early with a level advantage and 'carry' you to a 20-30 minute win but doesn't scale his damage after a certain point.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've been playing a fair bit of the dota lately and doing pretty well overall. I'm a career support player and I enjoy it but it still bothers me when we end up with either no second support or some do-nothing support like bounty/riki that makes our lanes too weak to function.

Supporting in dota is actually fun as hell compared to any other game that requires people to play 'support', so it's always frustrating to me to see people who would rather lose than poo poo stuns and nukes that can turn fights.

It just means a core that comes online super fast but generally can't stand up to a late game right click battle. Like a mid Zeus is a good example since he can control a game starting very early with a level advantage and 'carry' you to a 20-30 minute win but doesn't scale his damage after a certain point.

And these sorta dudes still have a place, you just typically don't run them in the safe lane unless you're going all in on 'win by 30 minutes or else' with some early carries and a shadow shaman support or w/e.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

zeus damage scales for the entire game you just have a big down spike for the first fiveish bkb uses

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

zeus damage scales for the entire game you just have a big down spike for the first fiveish bkb uses

If the game goes late enough for a carry to blow 5 bkb charges any decent one would just rebuy it.

Also I quit playing when the all in 20/30 min snowball push with 3 semi carry that could come online, team fight or push early was all the rage so it's weird hearing you guys talk about the new meta and idk what to think about this talent poo poo. Like the were still buffing consecutive kill multipliers to gold lol. Which made snowballing real fun.

E: I used to play with goons who would do poo poo like zeus mid, sven and SS safe, with a profit jungler and tinker, bh, axe off lane and start this ball going at 10mins finish game by 30. Or axe and any support and creep cut.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 22, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Waroduce posted:

If the game goes late enough for a carry to blow 5 bkb charges any decent one would just rebuy it.

Rebuying BKB no longer resets the duration value.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

suuma posted:

Rebuying BKB no longer resets the duration value.

Holy shhhhhhhhiitttttt

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
This hasn't been the case for a very long time.

Edit: It's been nearly four years since you could rebuy bkb

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I loving love DotA but I have to say that ever since talents came out I have been kinda meh more than loving it. Anyone else like this?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Talents are cool imo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Talents are cool, its the other stuff that came with talents that were lame

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
talents suck because its impossible to remember all the bullshit ones

like I just learned weaver can get either a 35% xp increase or +20 mana break at level 10 during my cavern crawl; meanwhile poor rubick doesn't get any xp or gpm talents but just a bunch of boring utility ones

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Dota is always cool but you will go through highs and lows of interest because nobody could play just one game forever

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Solarflare posted:

This hasn't been the case for a very long time.

Edit: It's been nearly four years since you could rebuy bkb
It was sort of funny to see super-late-game carries with 3 BKBs of various durations sitting in their stash back when you could rebuy BKB but not sell it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

talents are ok now that they tend to do stuff instead of being generic as hell. they still don't typically change how you play tho which I'd like to see more of

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
please add me if you want to play with someone who hasn't played in 4 years and bounced around between 3.5-4.5K MMR. I favor pushers, supports and gankers. I almost never play full carry and my favorite hero is Axe because I can make people who don't know how to last hit my bitch with battle hunger and creep cut aggressively

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966968026

e: i will be on friday

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know what Valve does with mmr for accounts that haven't played in forever but mentally gird yourself for losing a bunch of it at first. I think the average 3.5k player is in general way better than he was a few years ago.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I don't care about my mmr I just wanted to let you guys know despite planning on smoking copious amounts of weed and bullshitting in voice chat I know how to last hit, will call SS, will always have a tp scroll and will gank other lanes god bless.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Calling SS is for the weak. Demand perfect map awareness from your team to propel their play upwards

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Dota is always cool but you will go through highs and lows of interest because nobody could play just one game forever

incorrect bitch. through the twin virtues of sunk cost and crippling depression I could have played this game forever. the coward ice frog decided to make that reality impossible through the intervening force known as the High Ground

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

trivia questions getting harder and harder

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

When's artifact coming out. I'm actually going to play it unlike dota which I do not play anymore.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

i don't play dota either
winky face

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Whenever I get an interest in playing dota I go to it in my library, see what is likely charitably 5 updates that should be hotfixes in a better client, and go Ugg. Guh. Bah.

Then I play Vainglory or Paladins on my phone

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

trivia questions getting harder and harder

its invoker bc every single one of his talents are skill basedd

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

yeah, thats why i selected B,

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nanomashoes posted:

When's artifact coming out. I'm actually going to play it unlike dota which I do not play anymore.

Eurogamer posted a 9 minute gameplay vid. Visually it looks complete and they said there's a closed beta with pro players at the moment. They are guessing within a year or two. Valve also said theyre gonna do a The International style event gor it after the forst year of release.

Also its a game you have to pay for the base version of and can use Steam Market to trade cards for cash.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bet Artifact is going to be real fun since for all their other faults Valve sure makes good games when they want to

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What the gently caress is artifact

Also what the gently caress there are custom games now

Is autoconfig files now a thing of a past cause they have a real options menu to let me choose not to auto attack?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Yes but the auto attack setting will reset to default every 7th patch or so

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I bet Artifact is going to be real fun since for all their other faults Valve sure makes good games when they want to

If nothing else, the little gremlins that run around the table and help handle the cards are very good.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah they're pretty adorable.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
looking for games https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966968026

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

If anyone cares, it's sort of silly, but because of BIG GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRATS IN BRUSSELS, Valve has to divulge all sorts of personal data to you now, so for CSGO and Dota if you go into your steam profile, click on 'Games' then click on View Personal Information next to dota or csgo, there's tons of goofy data. Most of it is comparable to what you might get from OpenDota or DotaBuff but some is also neat to see what they're tracking, like if you won a Battle Cup, did you win when you had a bye round, or not, if you played successive battlecups, etc.

There's also some discarded stuff about guilds, stuff like Odds escalation for how many treasure chests you've opened without getting a Rare drop, etc.

It's just kinda novel!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

If anyone cares, it's sort of silly, but because of BIG GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRATS IN BRUSSELS, Valve has to divulge all sorts of personal data to you now, so for CSGO and Dota if you go into your steam profile, click on 'Games' then click on View Personal Information next to dota or csgo, there's tons of goofy data. Most of it is comparable to what you might get from OpenDota or DotaBuff but some is also neat to see what they're tracking, like if you won a Battle Cup, did you win when you had a bye round, or not, if you played successive battlecups, etc.

There's also some discarded stuff about guilds, stuff like Odds escalation for how many treasure chests you've opened without getting a Rare drop, etc.

It's just kinda novel!

Any clue what 'feed events' are? under Account

e: Think its activityfeed

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I've been trying to check the Feed Events thing, my feed events are a game on 4/1, 3/31, and 3/13.

I've been trying to figure out which matches they are, but it's a little hard.

The 4/1 event was actually 3-31 for me because of time zones, and seems to correlate to a Battle Cup game where I got absolutely murdered as bristleback, and could definitely be something described as a 'feed event'. It shouldn't correlate to reports because I'm pretty sure nobody from my Battle Cup team reported me lol.

The 3/31 event was a game we won where I was Slardar, and yeah, I died 10 times, but I was a 5 role slardar, and we won, so 'feed event' feels harsh :(

And I didn't play any games on 3/12~3/14 so I dunno what could've happened on 3/13???

The time stamps seem to be from During The Game rather than it listing the game start or game end time, so it probably relates to some time you died, respawned, then died again or something.

No clue though!