Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

so we're frequency divided? :thunk:

daisy duke's emphasis on cutoff frequency has always resonated with me, i think jennifer lowpass could have nicely filled'er role in the remake. on the other hand, no 36 Dd...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Skipping drugs chat -

My 7 year old has been using my pocket operator to make beep boop noises. He's also enjoyed the little bits synth kit, and (with supervision and help) fiddling with the op-1. What's the next logical step up? The Novation Circuit seems obvious - it's relatively inexpensive, it does the grid/pattern thing, it's self contained.

Other ideas?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Clearly he needs some weed duh

Honestly, not sure there needs to be another step? Like, the last thing on Earth anyone needs to learn is GAS, and I mean, dude could make an entire songwriting career using just the little bits synth kit and some DAW/Tracker/Tape/etc to arrange it.

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.

havelock posted:

Skipping drugs chat -

My 7 year old has been using my pocket operator to make beep boop noises. He's also enjoyed the little bits synth kit, and (with supervision and help) fiddling with the op-1. What's the next logical step up? The Novation Circuit seems obvious - it's relatively inexpensive, it does the grid/pattern thing, it's self contained.

Other ideas?

Modular anything. I know they're young, but it will teach them so much about how the sound circuit travels, and also about programming, chains, work flow, how electricity works, etc.

The new grandmother would be rad. It's expensive though. You could also build one of the easier builds from MFOS like the Weird Noise Generator.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Deluge acquired. Moving the tempo back and forth from 1 bpm to 9999+bpm is exactly as satisfying as I had hoped it would be.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

havelock posted:

Skipping drugs chat -

Other ideas?

Obviously get the cv bit along with some other fun stuff for the littlebits and get everything playing together.

If you must buy more gear, more POs or similar poo poo.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

I Dig Gardening posted:

Modular anything. I know they're young, but it will teach them so much about how the sound circuit travels, and also about programming, chains, work flow, how electricity works, etc.

The new grandmother would be rad. It's expensive though. You could also build one of the easier builds from MFOS like the Weird Noise Generator.

semi modular instead of fully modular seems better for kids -- easier operation, will play after life happens to all the patchcords, is self-contained so theyll hafta work at building that GAS

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

havelock posted:

Other ideas?

Clearly you are supposed to get more Pocket Operators. Volca Sample is really, really fun. Korg Gadget/TNR-i/Nanoloop if he already has a tablet?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have been studying production styles of J Dilla and Madlib over the last few months and found out that they both heavily used the Roland SP-303 Dr. Sample in their productions. In fact, most of the tracks off of Dilla's album Donuts were made using just the SP-303 and a 45 Record Player when he was in the hospital. I know the 303 is discontinued but I was thinking about trying to buy a used one. I know that Roland has the new 404, but from what I have read, the 303 has a different sound quality that a lot of producers really stuck with. I found a used one that comes to about $350 with shipping and am really considering pulling the trigger.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
hahaha the 303's great but holy poo poo that price
the 404a is just a reskin of the 404sx which is a much more useful machine imo
on the 303 a lotta fx dont go 100% wet (verb, tape delay) that do on the 404sx
i use them both often, and there are features he 303 has the 404 lacks, too, like the reverse behavior and responding to midi while resampling
keep in mind the 303 sucks without the right 90s memory card

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hahaha the 303's great but holy poo poo that price
the 404a is just a reskin of the 404sx which is a much more useful machine imo
on the 303 a lotta fx dont go 100% wet (verb, tape delay) that do on the 404sx
i use them both often, and there are features he 303 has the 404 lacks, too, like the reverse behavior and responding to midi while resampling
keep in mind the 303 sucks without the right 90s memory card

I definitely read about the 404, but also read a couple reviews from producers who said the 303 has more "grit" when sampling from vinyl. I guess I was just focused on the 303, since that is the piece of gear that I saw my favorite producers like Madlib, J Dilla, and MF Doom using. Is there any truth to the claim that they have a noticeably different sound?

Edit: With the 303 being discontinued, I had no idea what the price would be or if there was still a demand for them. It seems like there are very few for sale.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 22, 2018

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Apparently the vinyl sim fx on the 303 was some kind of secret compression/distortion/wow'n'flutter sauce that's now super sought after in the wake of the current low-fi hiphop trend. There's a really good breakdown promoting Vulfcompressor as a sort of ersatz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qGxsKNfnk

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

lol i had a sp303 like a decade ago, no one then was willing to pay that much for it. the fx were fun but gently caress buying smartmemory cards

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

snorch posted:

Apparently the vinyl sim fx on the 303 was some kind of secret compression/distortion/wow'n'flutter sauce that's now super sought after in the wake of the current low-fi hiphop trend. There's a really good breakdown promoting Vulfcompressor as a sort of ersatz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qGxsKNfnk

the vinyl sim is pretty overr8ed if you are comfortable with sound design. its not bad, but def not the rrason i kept the thing
the 404 uses a big enough memory card so you can just sample whatever to your 120 locations, the 303 has 32 sample locations and maybe 15 mins of sample time so you gotta do way more curating or use it alongside something else ime

but if you wanna help jack up the price, be my guest :wink:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

lol i had a sp303 like a decade ago, no one then was willing to pay that much for it. the fx were fun but gently caress buying smartmemory cards

i bought a memory card off ebay, and they threw another one with half the space in! and this was ages ago, the pawn shop i got the 303 ats been closed for years; i guess the card vendors wanted some space :shrug:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the vinyl sim is pretty overr8ed if you are comfortable with sound design. its not bad, but def not the rrason i kept the thing
the 404 uses a big enough memory card so you can just sample whatever to your 120 locations, the 303 has 32 sample locations and maybe 15 mins of sample time so you gotta do way more curating or use it alongside something else ime

but if you wanna help jack up the price, be my guest :wink:

I don't doubt that you can achieve similar/better results than the vinyl sim via sound design, but do you think part of the appeal of the 303 is that you don't need to spend time doing that since the sound coming out of the 303 will already have that quality, thus speeding up your workflow? Again, J Dilla made nearly the entire Donuts album using only a 303 and a 45 record player and I don't think anyone would suggest that the sonics are anything less than stellar on that album.

I would be using the 303 and recording into Ableton, so I feel like memory may be less of an issue in that application, but let me know if I am mistaken.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've got an SP202 and I've never known an instrument be the epitome of 'chore' in the same way that thing is, other than waiting for the KP3 to load samples. It is definitely gritty as gently caress and fun to play with once you've loaded it up with Amen chops but going back to that way of working after being spoilt by Ableton et al is only for the dedicated.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I learned today that a rack of wireless mic receivers that spent one night on a show that involved a fair amount of weed will indeed still smell like it two months later, so take that into consideration when smoking around synths I guess. Figured I'd share that given the recent weedchat.

I could probably still get a contact high off of the handheld mics that went out on the same show, since they were stored in a plastic bin drawer, and that is both hilarious and kinda gross.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The sp-303 is a low-/mid-tier sampler from 2001. I understand if you really desire that specific workflow, but I’d seriously think about the modern hardware/software options that you could put that $350 towards instead.

Heck vulfcompressor is a fairly expensive software solution, and at full price you’d still have an extra $200 to put towards whatever. There are a couple free Ableton effect racks that will get you 90% there as well.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

I've got an SP202 and I've never known an instrument be the epitome of 'chore' in the same way that thing is, other than waiting for the KP3 to load samples. It is definitely gritty as gently caress and fun to play with once you've loaded it up with Amen chops but going back to that way of working after being spoilt by Ableton et al is only for the dedicated.
the 202 does way less than the 303, only having one control knob makes the fx much more limited, and it really is unlike working with the l8er models

MrSargent posted:

I don't doubt that you can achieve similar/better results than the vinyl sim via sound design, but do you think part of the appeal of the 303 is that you don't need to spend time doing that since the sound coming out of the 303 will already have that quality, thus speeding up your workflow? Again, J Dilla made nearly the entire Donuts album using only a 303 and a 45 record player and I don't think anyone would suggest that the sonics are anything less than stellar on that album.

I would be using the 303 and recording into Ableton, so I feel like memory may be less of an issue in that application, but let me know if I am mistaken.

no, the vinyl sim is strictly for tourists. its not a bad effect but id be disappointed if i spent $350 on it. it seems like thats all you want out of the thing -- the 404s way easier to play all alone

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

I could probably still get a contact high off of the handheld mics that went out on the same show, since they were stored in a plastic bin drawer, and that is both hilarious and kinda gross.

lol creme thats not quite what a contact is about 🤣

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the 202 does way less than the 303, only having one control knob makes the fx much more limited, and it really is unlike working with the l8er models

no, the vinyl sim is strictly for tourists. its not a bad effect but id be disappointed if i spent $350 on it. it seems like thats all you want out of the thing -- the 404s way easier to play all alone

The Vinyl Effect isn't the only thing I am interested, but it does sound like the 303 might be a little strangling to my workflow if I am used to working in Ableton. Thanks a lot for the feedback dude, was pretty much exactly what I wanted to know about the device.

This might be better suited to the DJ thread, but it has more to do with sampling than it does DJing but since I'm not going the SP-303 route, I had another idea for upgrading my setup. Pretty much every artist that I see sampling on Rhythm Roulette or other videos is using a mixer in between their turntable and interface/computer. It seems to give a lot more control in terms of volume and eq adjustments prior to recording into a DAW like Ableton. I bought a Traktor Kontrol S2 a couple years ago to teach myself a bit about DJing, but unfortunately it isn't compatible with a turntable on its own. My plan is to sell the S2 and purchase the Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer, but I would like some feedback on if this is a worthwhile investment for my sampling productions. I also have plans to teach myself some scratching so I can incorporate that in my productions and felt like the Z2 was a solid choice since I am already familiar with the Traktor software/hardware.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MrSargent posted:

Pretty much every artist that I see sampling on Rhythm Roulette or other videos is using a mixer in between their turntable and interface/computer.

They’re likely using those mixers for their built-in RIAA preamps*. You can’t plug a turntable straight into your interface, it’ll have no bass and be all trebly without a turntable preamp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

*(this is the same reason I own a cheap DJ mixer)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

quote:

The Vinyl Effect isn't the only thing I am interested, but it does sound like the 303 might be a little strangling to my workflow if I am used to working in Ableton. Thanks a lot for the feedback dude, was pretty much exactly what I wanted to know about the device.
no problem, the 303s great, but id try the 404 1st, since its got batteries and a builtin mic, you could just run out in the woods with it or wtf ever you want -- then if you like playin it, cop a 303 for the extra sauce. it might fit your flow better, but if you can afford it, id recommend learning on the sp-404(sx/a), won't feel nearly as cramped

quote:

This might be better suited to the DJ thread, but it has more to do with sampling than it does DJing but since I'm not going the SP-303 route, I had another idea for upgrading my setup. Pretty much every artist that I see sampling on Rhythm Roulette or other videos is using a mixer in between their turntable and interface/computer. It seems to give a lot more control in terms of volume and eq adjustments prior to recording into a DAW like Ableton. I bought a Traktor Kontrol S2 a couple years ago to teach myself a bit about DJing, but unfortunately it isn't compatible with a turntable on its own. My plan is to sell the S2 and purchase the Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer, but I would like some feedback on if this is a worthwhile investment for my sampling productions. I also have plans to teach myself some scratching so I can incorporate that in my productions and felt like the Z2 was a solid choice since I am already familiar with the Traktor software/hardware.
i bolded the part of this that i understood

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

They’re likely using those mixers for their built-in RIAA preamps*. You can’t plug a turntable straight into your interface, it’ll have no bass and be all trebly without a turntable preamp.

just to :goonsay: cuz its my birthday ~~ its more the pickup level that necessit8s a pre, rather than the riaa eq, which is on the mixing/cutting side to ensure the needle dont jump fhe groove; it helps on the playback, but even if you pulled a les paul and stuck the needle in something with limited bass and treble like a jazzbox, it still gon be quiet af

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mr Sargeant has a turntable with a switchable built-in preamp, from what I understand. They are specifically looking for pre input level adjustment and eq. I'd go with mapping some midi knobs to a software eq plugin put across the input, provided the sound level is reasonable otherwise, but it's not my workflow we're talking about.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

just to :goonsay: cuz its my birthday ~~ its more the pickup level that necessit8s a pre, rather than the riaa eq, which is on the mixing/cutting side to ensure the needle dont jump fhe groove; it helps on the playback, but even if you pulled a les paul and stuck the needle in something with limited bass and treble like a jazzbox, it still gon be quiet af

back in the 90s I tried recording stuff from my turntable straight into my computer so I could burn to CD for listening in my car, and the volume/gain was just fine, but that poo poo was treble-biased AF until I got a cheap mixer for it’s RIAA preamp, so no, it’s not just for gain-staging.

Also the thing to remember about looking at the gear some musician used back in the day is that they often got good results in spite of their gear, not because of it. Just because a bunch of people used something doesn’t mean it was an awesome piece of kit, it is possible that it was just the cheapest/least awful option available at that time.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Or you could just be a cool kid like me and use a 900-pound mixer from the 80s with multiple phono inputs. :smuggo:

(Even with the footprint and weight, I love the poo poo out of my Teac Tascam M-30.)

HotCanadianChick posted:

back in the 90s

Bastard, now I'm going to have the closing theme from Bojack Horseman stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
What were those effects pedals someone in here was recommending? I think it had a couple different functions built in, looper, reverb, delay all on separate controls or something. Trying to build out my jam potential.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

My turntable does have a built-in preamp, but I actually go through a separate phono preamp because it allows me to convert from RCA to 1/4" to then go directly into my interfaces line inputs. I have no issues with the sonic quality using this method. I know that looking at musician's gear can be misleading sometimes, but in the case of hip-hop producers using a mixer between the turntable and interface/computer, it is almost universal. On 9th Wonder's Rhythm Roulette episode, he has a Rane 64 mixer, which runs about $1800, so it's not like this is just "what he had". But maybe in the case of hip-hop producers, this ties more closely with the aspects of hip-hop that come from DJing like scratching. I think I will look at it from the perspective of working on new skills that I can incorporate into my beats.

Thanks for the advice on just using a software instrument mapped to my Push2, Flipperwaldt. That would be the easiest way to achieve those results in the meantime.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

After The War posted:

Or you could just be a cool kid like me and use a 900-pound mixer from the 80s with multiple phono inputs. :smuggo:

(Even with the footprint and weight, I love the poo poo out of my Teac Tascam M-30.)

Bastard, now I'm going to have the closing theme from Bojack Horseman stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
i play a 6u so i 8 gotta carry a keyboard, i mix my decks with an ecler nuo 2, 21st century retro styling :c00lbert:

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Since we've sequed into mixer talk, I have a question. I've basically maxed out the inputs on my interfaces but find that I don't really have a need to record instruments separately and certainly would prefer to have a more immediate per instrument volume slider in exchange for recording a stereo pair of inputs at a time so trading the multi-input audio interface for a stereo interface w/ a physical mixer seems like the right call (plus I'd pick up the ability to easily do a few sends).

Now that I'm looking at mixers/mixing-boards I'm left wondering if there's some solution to not knowing how many mono/stereo channels you'll ultimately need or some modular option that would allow me to just buy/add mono/stereo channels as my hardware footprint grows. Ideally when hardware jamming I would be able to hear all instruments at once so a patchbay doesn't really solve the lack of channels.

Take something like this Mackie mixer: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1402VLZ4--mackie-1402vlz4-mixer . Four stereo input pairs, six monos. This would suit me today but if I bought another stereo device I'd need to grab two of the mono channels (and deal w/ having to adjust two faders to adjust the volume for it). It'd be much easier if there were a mixer chassis and I could buy mono/stereo channels to mount into it with each new gear purchase. Does this thing even exist or is there a better or more elegant solution. I'm firmly in the synthdad area here so I have some disposable income but definitely a hobbyist and I don't have Deadmau5 money.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Bolange posted:

Since we've sequed into mixer talk, I have a question. I've basically maxed out the inputs on my interfaces but find that I don't really have a need to record instruments separately and certainly would prefer to have a more immediate per instrument volume slider in exchange for recording a stereo pair of inputs at a time so trading the multi-input audio interface for a stereo interface w/ a physical mixer seems like the right call (plus I'd pick up the ability to easily do a few sends).

Now that I'm looking at mixers/mixing-boards I'm left wondering if there's some solution to not knowing how many mono/stereo channels you'll ultimately need or some modular option that would allow me to just buy/add mono/stereo channels as my hardware footprint grows. Ideally when hardware jamming I would be able to hear all instruments at once so a patchbay doesn't really solve the lack of channels.

Take something like this Mackie mixer: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1402VLZ4--mackie-1402vlz4-mixer . Four stereo input pairs, six monos. This would suit me today but if I bought another stereo device I'd need to grab two of the mono channels (and deal w/ having to adjust two faders to adjust the volume for it). It'd be much easier if there were a mixer chassis and I could buy mono/stereo channels to mount into it with each new gear purchase. Does this thing even exist or is there a better or more elegant solution. I'm firmly in the synthdad area here so I have some disposable income but definitely a hobbyist and I don't have Deadmau5 money.

The general advice I see from pro audio people is to buy something with more inputs than you need so that you have some room to expand.

You could also expand with cheaper compact line-level mixers like this one . Which is suboptimal compared to just having the inputs in the first place, but can be a cheap way to expand. This compact keyboard mixer is something I've had my eyes on. A bit pricey for me atm but might suit your case.

The only modular option I'm aware of is the Series 500 which is cool but substantially more expensive than an equivalent mixer.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It’s ok to have a sidecar mixer. I use one for my jam rig at home, one for drum submixing.
You’re not going to find something modular without dropping megabucks. All the vintage modular consoles, you couldn’t afford to keep running and it’s moot anyway since they’ve all been picked clean and turned into channel strips by this point. :v:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Bolange posted:

It'd be much easier if there were a mixer chassis and I could buy mono/stereo channels to mount into it with each new gear purchase. Does this thing even exist or is there a better or more elegant solution. I'm firmly in the synthdad area here so I have some disposable income but definitely a hobbyist and I don't have Deadmau5 money.

They exist but they're very high-end (like 2k-10k mixer land).

Just get more channels than you need. In practice I've had a hard time using more than 16 channels at once and I've tried. Mackie's 1604 or 1642s feel about adequate to me and there's lots of competition in that format. I run most of my mono channels as stereo pairs. It's really not an issue - either you won't notice level differences, or adjusting by ear is trivial. Then when its final mix time you can take more time and get anal.

Don't go stereo interface - you want at least 2 stereo channels of ins and outs so you can process stuff from your computer. Trust me its so frustrating. For me I ended up just keeping the 828 I had even though I max out at like 4i/4o.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The alternative I have used for this is just to make sure my primary interface has ADAT lightpipe so I can daisy chain it with more channels when I need them. Most pro or even prosumer interfaces these days allow you to add at least an extra eight channels.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
On the topic of mixers, my cheap Tapco mixer went plooie after a faithful ten years of service. Any recommendations for something with 8+ channels that's not behringer?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

my boss bx-80 os almost as old as i am, still workin gr8

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just buy a behringer, they bought Midas years ago and most of their stuff is perfect fine, there is no good reason to write them off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

if you can find an ecler anywhere they made gr8 mxers, i been playin a nuo2 since they dropped