Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Leon Einstein posted:

^^
I think he just realized he had no reason to kill the golden goose.

I think it was at the Congress. You sold me the ticket. I thought it was around With Teeth, but I've seen a lot of NIN shows, so I can't be certain. I think it was the show where everything got hosed up after like 4 songs, and they literally restarted with a different setlist.

I'm afraid it was someone else then, I've only seen NIN (in Chicago) at Lolla (2 times I think), the Aragon (twice for Wave Goodbye), and Northerly Island (NIN|JA). I saw Primus and Portual the Man at the Congress once and I would never have gone back there a second time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Nail Rat posted:

I'm afraid it was someone else then, I've only seen NIN (in Chicago) at Lolla (2 times I think), the Aragon (twice for Wave Goodbye), and Northerly Island (NIN|JA). I saw Primus and Portual the Man at the Congress once and I would never have gone back there a second time!
It may have been an Aragon show. I'm 99.99% sure it was you, as I bought the ticket from a goon, and I could've sworn it was your name. I seem to remember you were a Colts/Peyton Manning fan or something and you said you posed in TFF a lot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love all the staples he plays at every show, but yeah, I've seen them enough times and would kill for some (even) deeper cuts. Like play more stuff from Year Zero or With Teeth or The Fragile or The Slip beyond the one or two songs from those albums that always get played. I'm sure some of those songs can be more challenging to pull off live, but it seems like attempting that would be part of the fun of touring, not settling into the same setlist all the time.

I have been fortunate enough to see the likes of In This Twilight, Head Down, The Warning, The Big Come Down and The Great Destroyer live before, though, even if some of those were 10 years ago.

Though he has been sprinkling in some of the new material more recently, which is cool to see live. When I saw them in December, I got Branches/Bones, Less Than, The Lovers and The Background World, which ruled. I would've gotten a couple more new ones too but the set got cut short because of rain :shepicide:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 22, 2018

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Looks like tix didnt sell enough and they have announced another round

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Barry posted:

When I saw NIN on the Wave Goodbye Tour (:rolleyes:) in 2009, he had Peter Murphy open for them. Then Peter Murphy came on for three songs towards the end of NIN's set, the first of which was Reptile, which he absolutely ruined. The air was totally taken out of the place. I like Peter Murphy and all but he should not be singing lead vocals for Reptile as if it's a Bauhaus song.

this, on the other hand, totally owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8W4tslqVSg

Goddamn TVOTR is so good live

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Opener chat:

They had QotSA once and they were drunk and stupid. Kind of turned me off of their music, actually.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really wish I had caught QOTSA on that tour but every account I've heard of them was that they were drunk and terrible

I did see them on a different tour and they ruled so whatever I guess.

TBH, the worst NIN opener I've seen was Deerhunter who I saw twice on the same tour and was just extremely bored by (though I wasn't a dick about or anything)

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Nail Rat posted:

The problem is what do you consider a staple? I mean you say you don't need to hear Terrible Lie again, but someone else might say they would rather hear it than Head Like a Hole or Closer. Not that I disagree, but just saying to "play the staples" isn't going far enough because there are 12 songs he's played at least half of his concerts ever. And if you take the top five, well...Terrible Lie is in there. Along with two tracks from *totally just an EP* Broken, Wish and Gave Up of course.

Since he's so into telling people to gently caress off if they don't like what he's doing, I wish he'd be more like Radiohead, where you really have no idea what the gently caress he's going to play any given night.

I think you misread my post? Or I misread yours?

I was saying I’m tired of him just playing he staples. Retire EVERY song he has played consistently for the last 20 years. Play anything else, anything, for the main list. Then do a 4 song encore of staples. Just stop spending 9ish songs every drat time.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 23, 2018

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

precision posted:

this, on the other hand, totally owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8W4tslqVSg

Goddamn TVOTR is so good live
The only memorable opener I've seen with NIN is A Perfect Circle. I can't remember any of the others at all.

Tvotr is amazing, but I never saw them live.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I missed Tom Morello's band when they opened for NIN/JA, and I've never been too into JA but they were solid live I guess?

I was gonna get mad about the Deerhunter thing but I always confuse them and The Dear Hunter :laffo:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Asnorban posted:

I was saying I’m tired of him just playing he staples. Retire EVERY song he has played consistently for the last 20 years. Play anything else, anything, for the main list. Then do a 4 song encore of staples. Just stop spending 9ish songs every drat time.

yeah that would be cool but let's be honest the overwhelming majority of people paying these prices are paying them precisely because they want to hear those songs

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
He should do kinda what Weird Al did and announce a small tour in intimate venues and say publicly and specifically he won't be playing any hits.

(Granted it's different, Weird Al did a tour where he said he won't be playing any of his parodies, just his original work. Basically a tour for the hardcore Al fan.)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
According to Setlist fm Sin is in the top 10 most played NIN songs (live) but it's also approaching 10 years since it's been in a set. Would love to hear it again. (I've actually never heard it live, didn't see NIN until 2013 or 14 whenever they last did a UK arena tour).

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Queens of the Stone Age opened for with teeth in 2005. I don't know if they were drunk but the sound was a garbled mess. It's been that way with most of the openin acts I've seen. Mars Volta opening for APC was especially dissapointing. I really enjoyed Deloused in the Comatorium, but live everything blended together into dissonant wailing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skails posted:

Queens of the Stone Age opened for with teeth in 2005. I don't know if they were drunk but the sound was a garbled mess. It's been that way with most of the openin acts I've seen. Mars Volta opening for APC was especially dissapointing. I really enjoyed Deloused in the Comatorium, but live everything blended together into dissonant wailing.
The Mars Volta's one of my all-time favorite bands (well, their first few albums are anyway), but I saw them at a festival like 10 years ago and I remember next to nothing about it aside from Cedric ending up performing on the ground at one point.

Comparatively, the At the Drive-In show I saw last year was far more memorable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I saw TMV one time and they were great. I think it was around the Bedlam era. Thomas Pridgen was definitely taking huge bong rips behind his big-rear end gong between songs (rumor has it that's one of the reasons he got kicked out by Cedric lol).

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Skails posted:

I saw APC on the same tour with TMV opening and they were just so, so, so bad. One of the all time worst opening acts I've ever seen. Which is weird because everyone always claims how their live show (at least around that time) is some transcendent experience and I generally enjoy their studio albums.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I saw qotsa open along with death from above 1979 back on the with teeth tour in DC.

DFA sucked bad. It was just noise, you couldn’t hear anything specific. Queens on the other hand actually earned my respect. I don’t think they were drunk at that show. Josh Homme even did a few acapella tracks for no reason other than that he could.

At the end we got to see some classic pissbaby Trent. He pushed his synth into the crowd and they ripped it up like piranhas with fresh meat. I later read about several folks saying they had broken fingers both from trying to catch the heavy synth and everyone else grabbing at it to rip off a piece or two.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Glad I'm not the only one who has a horrific Mars Volta show, I saw them on a headlining show and left about 20 minutes in, it was legitimately a wall of noise that resembled nothing of music

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I missed Tom Morello's band when they opened for NIN/JA, and I've never been too into JA but they were solid live I guess?

I saw them with Alice In Chains about 5 years ago. The lead singer of Jane's Addition thinks that they're the fame level of Led Zeppelin or something. It was annoying/embarrassing. Even back in the 90s they weren't that popular.

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

He should do kinda what Weird Al did and announce a small tour in intimate venues and say publicly and specifically he won't be playing any hits.

(Granted it's different, Weird Al did a tour where he said he won't be playing any of his parodies, just his original work. Basically a tour for the hardcore Al fan.)

I was telling my wife a few weeks ago that I wonder what Weird Al music would sound like if he made his own stuff instead of parody music. I would like to hear an album of his that isn't comedy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Photex posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who has a horrific Mars Volta show, I saw them on a headlining show and left about 20 minutes in, it was legitimately a wall of noise that resembled nothing of music

I've heard from a ton of sources that Deloused-era TMV were awful live tbh

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had completely forgotten I had even seen TMV live until this conversation came up, which shows how good I thought they were live.

I've also seen JA live twice and because both times they were headlining, I left the show early twice. The weirdest thing about them live is they play really, really loud which does not match how chilled out their music is and for whatever reason that makes them really hard to listen to.

Overall I don't think I could even name the worst live band I've ever seen. After awhile you just see so many lovely live bands and you forget who they even are. There are a few names that stick out but even then I'm not sure they are actually worse than the ones I can't remember at all.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Whatever's left goes on sale tomorrow at 10 PST, looks like they added a couple dates including a third Chicago date.

edit: meh. I think I'm skipping it. $100 plus fees is a lot to see NIN play the same setlist as ever in a lovely venue with lovely sound.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 23, 2018

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I've seen Marilyn Manson, Jim Rose, Prick and A Perfect Circle as openers

Nail Rat posted:

Whatever's left goes on sale tomorrow at 10 PST, looks like they added a couple dates including a third Chicago date.

edit: meh. I think I'm skipping it. $100 plus fees is a lot to see NIN play the same setlist as ever in a lovely venue with lovely sound.

Ouch. I think the LA tickets were $85 flat. I need to find out how much I owe my friend.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Interview of el Trento about the tickets thing. It's alright at times, I can relate to the connection with feeling music like something closer and special... but sometimes it sounds like "I'm not a luddite, but..."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you know, le butcherettes would probably make for a killer nin opener

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Personally I think it'd be cool as gently caress to see The Mars Volta open for NIN

also it's a mismatch but I'd love to see Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree and Trent/NIN do a stripped-down concert where they only play the more moody, melancholic stuff

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

I saw qotsa open along with death from above 1979 back on the with teeth tour in DC.

DFA sucked bad. It was just noise, you couldn’t hear anything specific.
I've seen DFA1979 twice, once in 2014 and once in 2015, and they ruled both times, but this was post-reunion and 10 years removed from the With Teeth tour (or close), so maybe they were just sloppier back in the day? :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IUG posted:

I saw them with Alice In Chains about 5 years ago. The lead singer of Jane's Addition thinks that they're the fame level of Led Zeppelin or something. It was annoying/embarrassing. Even back in the 90s they weren't that popular.

I mean, at least in the 90s they basically were the Led Zeppelin of indie rock, but the fact remains they only made 2 and a half good albums and everything they've done since literally 1992 has been godawful.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
Apparently a really crappy cellphone rip of “We Got Ahead of Ourselves” is floating around. It’s really low quality, but sounds like more late ‘90s drum & bass-inspired stuff, albeit with more traditional song structure and vocals.

Jury’s still out, but I’m a little underwhelmed by both the songs I’ve heard from this album so far - I feel like the previous two releases had songs where Trent and Atticus were revisiting old sounds but still writing music that felt new, where as these two tracks feel dated.

Obviously I didn’t hear the second song in any sort of reasonable quality or context, so I’m hoping my worries are all for naught come June 22.

blue.eyed.ash fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 24, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well, I mean, let's not get ahead of ourselves

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, I mean, let's not get ahead of ourselves

I just made that post in the hopes that someone would go there

And it worked

Yes it did

(My opinions and the song leak are both honest though)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man I hope I can get tickets tomorrow but I'm really trying to set my expectations so it will more be a pleasant surprise if I do rather than a crushing disappointment when I don't

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Apparently a really crappy cellphone rip of “We Got Ahead of Ourselves” is floating around. It’s really low quality, but sounds like more late ‘90s drum & bass-inspired stuff, albeit with more traditional song structure and vocals.
Did he switch from emulating Blackstar era Bowie to emulating Earthling era Bowie?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Non Serviam posted:

Interview of el Trento about the tickets thing. It's alright at times, I can relate to the connection with feeling music like something closer and special... but sometimes it sounds like "I'm not a luddite, but..."

The link, because I'm an idiot : https://youtu.be/JjREhlj222s

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Oh god pls kill yr beard tr.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've seen DFA1979 twice, once in 2014 and once in 2015, and they ruled both times, but this was post-reunion and 10 years removed from the With Teeth tour (or close), so maybe they were just sloppier back in the day? :shrug:
DFA'79 broke up like right after that tour ended so the probably hated each other the entire time. I went to the W_T tour but missed them cause navigating Boston is a nightmare. QotSA had apparently been a bit adversarial with audiences but at the show I was at some people were into it and the band seemed happy with them. QotSA just sort of seemed like they were there to me, not particularly good or bad.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its weird to see how old man yells at cloud hes being considering the buildup to year zero had all sorts of cool poo poo like finding usb drives in seedy concert hall bathrooms that had secret tracks on them to the arg that led to a secret meetup in a parking lot in la where people who figured out the arg and made it there in time got munition crates full of nin swag and a nin burner phone that would ring about a week later and just tell the holder of the phone an address, where they would be collected via bus and brought to a secret concert that was ended by a swat team raid juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust when they were going to play the perfect drug.

instead you guys got to wait 6.5 hours in the rain to talk to other 30-50 year olds and get some cool pieces of merch and listen to parts of a track like at a sam goody

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

STONE COLD 64 posted:

its weird to see how old man yells at cloud hes being considering the buildup to year zero had all sorts of cool poo poo like finding usb drives in seedy concert hall bathrooms that had secret tracks on them to the arg that led to a secret meetup in a parking lot in la where people who figured out the arg and made it there in time got munition crates full of nin swag and a nin burner phone that would ring about a week later and just tell the holder of the phone an address, where they would be collected via bus and brought to a secret concert that was ended by a swat team raid juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust when they were going to play the perfect drug.

instead you guys got to wait 6.5 hours in the rain to talk to other 30-50 year olds and get some cool pieces of merch and listen to parts of a track like at a sam goody

Honestly the actual YZ ARG was not that far off in terms of how elaborate it was.
IIRC the USB drives that were actually scattered in bathrooms at concert halls they played had audio tracks full of noise. People had to figure out that they needed to run a spectral analysis on the noise, which then revealed an image in the noise (it was the hand coming down from the sky), and I believe it also had coded letters that led you to a series of websites, and somewhere in the website's code was a link to a song.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

boy those robots were fast this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
I received an e-mail that said "Ticket Sales Resume Thursday, May 24, at 10AM PST"

Was it actually 10am EST? :doh: