Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Do you think 15 year olds should get away with rape and murder also? Where's the line?

I have asthma and reactive airway disease. These are common conditions. I literally couldn't leave the house without a respirator. After the smoke was gone, I had to take a course of steroids due to a chronic cough that wouldn't go away, and my lungs have been a lot more fragile since. Luckily I make a decent buck and can afford medical insurance. Others are not as fortunate. There are people who will have shorter lives because of this fire.

The kid should be in jail, and it absolutely should follow him for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ten years of financial restitution seems pretty loving lenient to me considering the scope of destruction he caused.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

therobit posted:

The kid should be in jail, and it absolutely should follow him for the rest of his life.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

I believe people should be held responsible when they cause massive economic and human damage while committing an intentional felony. Jail time is appropriate.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

Do you think 15 year olds should get away with rape and murder also? Where's the line?

I have asthma and reactive airway disease. These are common conditions. I literally couldn't leave the house without a respirator. After the smoke was gone, I had to take a course of steroids due to a chronic cough that wouldn't go away, and my lungs have been a lot more fragile since. Luckily I make a decent buck and can afford medical insurance. Others are not as fortunate. There are people who will have shorter lives because of this fire.

Ah yes. This is the good law and order throw away the key bullshit I love.

Do you think there might be a different level of intent between rape/murder and playing with fireworks? Or are you the type that thinks only the outcome matters and intent is irrelevant? Since you brought up rape/murder would you say there is no difference between accidentally killing a cyclist opening a car door without looking vs willfully running one off the road? Because I 100% promise you’ve opened that door without looking before and thankfully 99.99999% of the time there isn’t a cyclist there.

I promise you that plenty of the people moralizing played with fireworks as kids and a few probably even started fires. It’s bullshit to take what amounts to stupid kid poo poo and turn it into lifelong consequences.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

xrunner posted:

Do you think there might be a different level of intent between rape/murder and playing with fireworks? Or are you the type that thinks only the outcome matters and intent is irrelevant? Since you brought up rape/murder would you say there is no difference between accidentally killing a cyclist opening a car door without looking vs willfully running one off the road? Because I 100% promise you’ve opened that door without looking before and thankfully 99.99999% of the time there isn’t a cyclist there.

I promise you that plenty of the people moralizing played with fireworks as kids and a few probably even started fires. It’s bullshit to take what amounts to stupid kid poo poo and turn it into lifelong consequences.

Playing with fireworks is a helluva step removed from taking homemade fireworks into a

xrunner posted:

Yeah playing with fireworks as a teenager is exactly the same thing as making homemade fireworks, taking them into a State Park, and throwing them into dry brush at the height of fire season. It's way closer to running someone down on their bike in your car to opening your car door without looking, to use your dumb analogy.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

therobit posted:

I believe people should be held responsible when they cause massive economic and human damage while committing an intentional felony. Jail time is appropriate.

News break bucko. Throwing a teenager in jail wont cure your asthma. Won't make the forest grow back. Won't do anything to improve or advance society. You're not asking for someone to be "held responsible" (which hundreds of hours of community service already does) you're asking for the state to exact some draconian revenge fantasy against a child

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Playing with fireworks is a helluva step removed from taking homemade fireworks into a

Yeah playing with fireworks as a teenager is exactly the same thing as making homemade fireworks, taking them into a State Park, and throwing them into dry brush at the height of fire season. It's way closer to running someone down on their bike in your car to opening your car door without looking, to use your dumb analogy.

The reality is it makes you feel better and more in control to punish people when something outside your control significantly harms something you care about. You’d rather poo poo and moralize and penalize and preferably make the kid personally significantly suffer then deal with the fact that bad poo poo happens sometimes.

Reasonable consequences to deter future people from doing the same idiot thing make sense. Massive financial consequences for poor decision making don’t. Sorry you felt powerless. A 15 year old is a good comfortable punching bag at least.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 23, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

xrunner posted:

The reality is it makes you feel better and more in control to punish people when something outside your control significantly harms something you care about. You’d rather poo poo and moralize and penalize and preferably make the kid personally significantly suffer then deal with the fact that bad poo poo happens sometimes.

Reasonable consequences to deter future people from doing the same idiot thing make sense. Massive financial consequences for poor decision making don’t. Sorry you felt powerless. A 15 year old is a good comfortable punching bag at least.

Thanks for the unneeded and unwarranted psychoanalysis, broham. Whatever makes you feel morally superior on the internet.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Why is jail automatically inappropriate?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Thanks for the unneeded and unwarranted psychoanalysis, broham. Whatever makes you feel morally superior on the internet.

You’re showing you’re hand so clearly it isn’t even hard. Go on. Get your hate out. The universe makes sense and you don’t have to ever think about how insignificant you are if you can just punish people when things go wrong.

Accretionist posted:

Why is jail automatically inappropriate?

Jail is honestly probably inappropriate for 80% of the things we put people in it for. Is the kid going to throw fireworks into another forest? No. That means jail is entirely inappropriate.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

put the kid in a cage so he learns

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

xrunner posted:

You’re showing you’re hand so clearly it isn’t even hard. Go on. Get your hate out. The universe makes sense and you don’t have to ever think about how insignificant you are if you can just punish people when things go wrong.

Jail is honestly probably inappropriate for 80% of the things we put people in it for. Is the kid going to throw fireworks into another forest? No. That means jail is entirely inappropriate.

:rolleyes: wow man you're sooooo evolved.

Lol he's not even going to jail, he'll just have to pay fines for ten years and do community service because he's a poor little white child who didn't realize what he was doing was wrong, sniffle.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!

xrunner posted:

things go wrong.

Or when people gleefully and deliberately commit arson after being told not to.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DrNutt posted:

:rolleyes: wow man you're sooooo evolved.

Lol he's not even going to jail, he'll just have to pay fines for ten years and do community service because he's a poor little white child who didn't realize what he was doing was wrong, sniffle.

Dude asked why not jail. I answered. Good to see you’re as good at reading comprehension as you are at being petty. I just don’t waste my life salivating at the opportunity to make people suffer for making me feel small. The community service is more than enough. It sends a message, it forces him to reflect, and it gives back to the community. Some lol huge fine that maybe goes away in ten years and maybe not who knows is wrong spirited and intentionally cruel. It’s meant to make it harder to ever be successful. It doesn’t give back and it is punitive.

We are way to focused on punishment and lifelong consequences in this country.

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

Or when people gleefully and deliberately commit arson after being told not to.

You may be slightly overstating what actually happened.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
so is now a good time to talk about how we should abolish prison or what

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

xrunner posted:

Dude asked why not jail. I answered. Good to see you’re as good at reading comprehension as you are at being petty. I just don’t waste my life salivating at the opportunity to make people suffer for making me feel small. The community service is more than enough. It sends a message, it forces him to reflect, and it gives back to the community. Some lol huge fine that maybe goes away in ten years and maybe not who knows is wrong spirited and intentionally cruel. It’s meant to make it harder to ever be successful. It doesn’t give back and it is punitive.

You may be slightly overstating what actually happened.

Nah, if it had honestly been an accident and had just been playing around then I agree the community service would be fine. But this went well beyond that and it's plenty proportional given that they're not even going to garnish his wages. But go on pretending like this is some petty personal bullshit and you're better than everyone else.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ten years of probation and community service seems pretty fair and balanced given the hot tempers on both sides.

He should be feeling the effects for life, not to the point of ruination, but seeing 10% of every check he ever earns garnished wouldn't be entirely excessive given the damage he caused.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
In my mind, this is on par with dropping rocks off an overpass.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

News break bucko. Throwing a teenager in jail wont cure your asthma. Won't make the forest grow back. Won't do anything to improve or advance society. You're not asking for someone to be "held responsible" (which hundreds of hours of community service already does) you're asking for the state to exact some draconian revenge fantasy against a child

Under the laws of Oregon he is culpable as an adult. Sorry you don't like that. Jail is a common punishment for arson.

And a more apt analogy would be killing someone while driving drunk, which should also carry a jail sentence.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I think it's good that he did not get jail time (and that is family was not made culpable, which was another thing people were throwing around) but that he instead has a chance to pay restitution in a way that fits the crime he committed while also having a chance to learn from it and make something out of his life.

And yeah, it was arson. That's what you call it when you intentionally set poo poo on fire and it burns down.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

Under the laws of Oregon he is culpable as an adult. Sorry you don't like that. Jail is a common punishment for arson.

And a more apt analogy would be killing someone while driving drunk, which should also carry a jail sentence.

Yes. Charging juveniles as adults is reprehensible. Even when they do adult crimes. The brain of a fifteen year old is fundamentally different than the brain of a twenty five year old. The decision making process is different. The ability to contemplate and anticipate risk is fundamentally different. They aren’t adults and they don’t think and act like adults.

Now this gets really tricky with stuff like rape and murder and there is certainly a line somewhere. That line is well beyond this event though - and calling it arson is pretty disengenous.

Accretionist posted:

In my mind, this is on par with dropping rocks off an overpass.

I don’t disagree with that analogy. It’s a stupid loving thing to do and kids do it anyway even though sometimes they go to jail for it. Teenagers are fundamentally different in their thought processes and while they need to be held accountable the way we hold them accountable should be fundamentally different - even when they cause great harm.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Nah, if it had honestly been an accident and had just been playing around then I agree the community service would be fine. But this went well beyond that and it's plenty proportional given that they're not even going to garnish his wages. But go on pretending like this is some petty personal bullshit and you're better than everyone else.

If it had honestly been an accident he shouldn't have faced any punishment... what the gently caress...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElCondemn posted:

If it had honestly been an accident he shouldn't have faced any punishment... what the gently caress...

I mean, illegally lighting off fireworks during a burn ban is still a crime, whether your motivations are malicious or not. He intentionally did it in a way as to make what he was doing arson. Do you think if he was just lighting off sweet fireworks and caused the same poo poo he just wouldn't be culpable?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

therobit posted:

Our country imprisons more people per capita than North Korea. I really couldn't care less what our laws say is worthy of prison time.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

so is now a good time to talk about how we should abolish prison or what

:yeah:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I mean, illegally lighting off fireworks during a burn ban is still a crime, whether your motivations are malicious or not. He intentionally did it in a way as to make what he was doing arson. Do you think if he was just lighting off sweet fireworks and caused the same poo poo he just wouldn't be culpable?

If it was arson he would have been charged with arson. A felony. He actually did the thing you described in your first sentence which is why he plead to a misdemeanor.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I would love to see comprehensive prison reform in the United States, up to and including letting most people currently in jail for non-violent offenses out, and hopefully adopting a rehabilitative system akin to something like the way prisons are operated in Sweden.

Luckily this kid isn't facing jail time!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Sorry, I thought you meant an actual accident. Lighting off fireworks isn't an accident, everyone that does it should understand that they might start a fire.

We don't know that he intended to start a forest fire, but even if he did we don't know that he understood that it would be as big as it was or put people in danger. The only difference between him and an adult doing this is the understanding that an adult should know better, they should be able to asses the risk of danger to the area and those around them. Children/teenagers are still learning that stuff.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 23, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

xrunner posted:

If it was arson he would have been charged with arson. A felony. He actually did the thing you described in your first sentence which is why he plead to a misdemeanor.

If he didn't it's extremely likely they could have easily charged him with felony arson based on what he did.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

If he didn't it's extremely likely they could have easily charged him with felony arson based on what he did.

If it were how you say it is his friends would also have been jailed and charged with accessory.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If setting the fire was unintentional, it was negligent enough that it may as well have been intentional. I don't see how what he did is significantly less serious than many other serious crimes. And if he is young enough that none of his actions are his own responsibility, then his parents should be held jointly liable.

I think 15 is old enough to know better, because most 15 year olds are not throwing homemade fireworks into dry brush during burn bans, and most 15 year olds could tell you why that's a retarded idea if you asked them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

If it were how you say it is his friends would also have been jailed and charged with accessory.

And they probably should have been.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

I think 15 is old enough to know better, because most 15 year olds are not throwing homemade fireworks into dry brush during burn bans, and most 15 year olds could tell you why that's a retarded idea if you asked them.

Considering juveniles are arrested considerably more for vandalism and other non-violent crimes than adults are I'd say you're wrong about that. 15 year olds are the prime demographic for doing something stupid like that.

Seriously look at the stats, teenagers are arrested for arson the most...

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=datool&surl=/arrests/index.cfm

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 23, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Considering juveniles are arrested considerably more for vandalism and other non-violent crimes than adults are I'd say you're wrong about that. 15 year olds are the prime demographic for doing something stupid like that.

Seriously look at the stats, teenagers are arrested for arson the most...

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=datool&surl=/arrests/index.cfm

This isn't small potatoes like a little graffiti or a burned up porta potty. If he didn't mean to set the fire, he is dumber than your average 15 year old. If you drive drunk and kill someone, you still go up for manslaughter because you were negligent to a criminal degree when you decide to drink and then get behind the wheel. Should the outcome of his actions count for nothing?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
No because apparently his pea brain is a get out of consequences free card

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
We need to stop trying kids as adults all the drat time but this kid should face consequences for not burning down the rest of his garbage-rear end state.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://twitter.com/joeyalison/status/999135986553569280

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Make him do the community service until he turns 18 and graduates high school. Then press him into the forestry service until the area is back to the way it was before he torched it. Hell even give him whatever salary they pay forestry workers, but tie his life to taking care of that area.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Soarer posted:

Make him do the community service until he turns 18 and graduates high school. Then press him into the forestry service until the area is back to the way it was before he torched it. Hell even give him whatever salary they pay forestry workers, but tie his life to taking care of that area.

You realize the best and really only way to let a natural forest come back is to wait for trees to grow naturally right

The Forest Service doesn't exactly go around planting trees after a fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Community service directly aimed at forestry is appropriate imo. Caring for trails and the standard stuff forestry folk do.

I realise he's not facing jail but just another hand up for - holy poo poo we send people to jail way too loving much and kids should never be tried as adults. I really truly believe that jail should be reserved for intentional bodily harm and every thing else should be tied to community service.

Also i once threw a roll of black cats onto my neighbors roof on fourth of July and holy gently caress I had a panic attack the second I realised the huge mistake I made. Luckily I was able to grab a hose. I was a straight a student but man kids really suck at thinking poo poo through.