Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Why is painting so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Safety Factor posted:

The Tau should've been expanded further as a multi-racial alien coalition instead of just getting more and bigger robots. Then they might even be kind of cool. :colbert:

Third edition me desperately wanted this to be their future. Funny how they backpedaled into more animu~.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

Why is painting so hard?

Because it's tiny and infuriating.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

With primaris the goal should always be to have them beating face, and the only acceptable reason for them not beating face is you already killed them in shooting on the way there. I'm only half joking, until we get another type of primaris special weapons we just really dont do backline units.

Heavy incinerators work for dark angels because they're s9 ap4 d3 and that loving hurts, for everyone else they don't really do enough damage, whereas literally the only drawback for assault incinerators is they struggle on t7+, and deathwatch is filled to bursting with rerolls and +1s to wound so I really cant see a good reason to take anything else. A squad with auto bolt rifles, assault incinerators and an aggressor advancing up the field with no penalty seems like a better choice of the more expensive weapon options.

Which makes more sense; adding an Aggressor for the extra 1"-6" of movement with assault plasma and bolt rifles, or fielding RF incinerators and bolt rifles? Or separating the Hellblasters into their own squad?

Thinking more it seems like DW benefit from focus firing for maximum exploitation of their stratagems. And need a LOT of CP and recycling.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Please someone send help I'm getting shot off the board by Guard tanks

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I bought this thing and it arrived today, it's pretty boss at storing paints. I might get a second one since there's still stuff left over and I have desk space.
https://www.amazon.com/Cq-acrylic-B...ail+polish+rack

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigAristotle posted:

Choke their guns with bodies?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBigAristotle posted:

i find jump packs and thunder hammers work wonders for that problem, but not everybody has the thirst for victory to make it happen

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BaconCopter posted:

Third edition me desperately wanted this to be their future. Funny how they backpedaled into more animu~.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest they didn't do much "backpedal" as they "looked at their sales figures"

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

chutche2 posted:

So I bought this thing and it arrived today, it's pretty boss at storing paints. I might get a second one since there's still stuff left over and I have desk space.
https://www.amazon.com/Cq-acrylic-B...ail+polish+rack

Thats what I use, Ive got 3 of em. I think I got mine on ebay.

Edit: finished flyrant, other than base

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 23, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest they didn't do much "backpedal" as they "looked at their sales figures"

Yeah I thought they were going to bring in more and more new races as "freedom colleagues" or whatever Amazon warehouse poo poo they call their slaves now.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

i find jump packs and thunder hammers work wonders for that problem, but not everybody has the thirst for victory to make it happen

Or Mephiston, or Sanguinary Guard, or...

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Which makes more sense; adding an Aggressor for the extra 1"-6" of movement with assault plasma and bolt rifles, or fielding RF incinerators and bolt rifles? Or separating the Hellblasters into their own squad?

Thinking more it seems like DW benefit from focus firing for maximum exploitation of their stratagems. And need a LOT of CP and recycling.

I think you almost never want to combat squad the gravis troops and hellblasters into their own unit since they're both glass cannons. I'm extremely happy when someones fallen for my poo poo and killed my intercessors before my hellblasters or aggressors and you have the ability to force them to do so.

Rapid fire incinerators are terrible until they get within 15" and then they suddenly morph into an engine of murder, but since you have 10 ablative wounds in the way yours stand a much better chance of getting in range.

For the sake of board presence it might be worth having a single fortis team with all rapid fire rifles and incinerators and having the option of splitting them 2-3/3-2, since only one team gets to use the relevent doctrine stratagem anyway.

Thinking on it a good 3 team build like you're kind of aiming at could be two teams with 5 assault intercessors 4 assault hellblasters and an aggressor and a third team of 5/5 all rapid fire, the assault teams close in and the rapid fire team keeps trudging forward until you can get in 12-15" for rapid fire incinerators and vengeance rounds.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JBP posted:

Yeah I thought they were going to bring in more and more new races as "freedom colleagues" or whatever Amazon warehouse poo poo they call their slaves now.

They probably would have if kroot and vespid had sold really well but instead everyone loved crisis suits and broadsides. Not that I blame them, the suits are cool as hell

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheChirurgeon posted:

They probably would have if kroot and vespid had sold really well but instead everyone loved crisis suits and broadsides. Not that I blame them, the suits are cool as hell
Or maybe if Kroot and Vespid hadn't had garbage rules...

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

For real though we need more detail about what both have etc. Properly screened Guard tanks can be a gigantic pain in the rear end to deal with for a lot of armies.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

For real though we need more detail about what both have etc. Properly screened Guard tanks can be a gigantic pain in the rear end to deal with for a lot of armies.

Quad Las contemptor mortis or relic contemptor dreads do good work.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It disappoints me that the response from neither of the resident blood angels players was multi-charge the bastards.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Quad Las contemptor mortis or relic contemptor dreads do good work.

I spent a good long while looking at the Contemptors when FW was doing their sale a few weeks ago. I ended up getting a bike for my wife instead but I think I have the bug now.

Artum posted:

It disappoints me that the response from neither of the resident blood angels players was multi-charge the bastards.

What do you think I'd be doing with that Sanguinary Guard? A buffed up 10 man squad with swords and fists will solve most problems, really.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

PaintVagrant posted:

This looks absolutely incredible. To be honest I was very "meh" / worried when I saw the initial spray brushing. But now that's it all come together with the details and highlighting it looks incredible! A magnificent center piece for your bugs! 10/10

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

What do you think I'd be doing with that Sanguinary Guard? A buffed up 10 man squad with swords and fists will solve most problems, really.

Thats more like it.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaintVagrant posted:

Ah, hive fleet Green Goblin is out and about

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

zeal posted:

Ah, hive fleet Green Goblin is out and about

Orange and green spore mines when.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

I think you almost never want to combat squad the gravis troops and hellblasters into their own unit since they're both glass cannons. I'm extremely happy when someones fallen for my poo poo and killed my intercessors before my hellblasters or aggressors and you have the ability to force them to do so.

Rapid fire incinerators are terrible until they get within 15" and then they suddenly morph into an engine of murder, but since you have 10 ablative wounds in the way yours stand a much better chance of getting in range.

For the sake of board presence it might be worth having a single fortis team with all rapid fire rifles and incinerators and having the option of splitting them 2-3/3-2, since only one team gets to use the relevent doctrine stratagem anyway.

Thinking on it a good 3 team build like you're kind of aiming at could be two teams with 5 assault intercessors 4 assault hellblasters and an aggressor and a third team of 5/5 all rapid fire, the assault teams close in and the rapid fire team keeps trudging forward until you can get in 12-15" for rapid fire incinerators and vengeance rounds.

You can also deep strike the Hellblasters, and so long as you're attacking different portions of the force org chart you can still get +1 to wound using two different stratagems. More than anything this exercise is telling me how crucial it is that DW had a vast, vast reservoir of CP.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Deathwatch: Now I Can Field my 40 Hellblasters

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can also deep strike the Hellblasters

Thats an excellent point, christ.

Yeah definitely one killteam with all rapid fire dropped in turn 2 using a doctrine on them to murder basically anything, just need to get the watch master in position turns 1 and 2 to help.

I suppose it helps them in getting cp that 6 kill teams of varying configurations with a watch master, captain, librarian and chaplain for 13cp would probably work.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pretty happy with this backpack so far. My 9 LOTD models are getting pretty close to completion :toot:

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 23, 2018

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can also deep strike the Hellblasters, and so long as you're attacking different portions of the force org chart you can still get +1 to wound using two different stratagems. More than anything this exercise is telling me how crucial it is that DW had a vast, vast reservoir of CP.

Get that guard battalion.

You know you want it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

It is growing on me...

How do you make the best guard batallion? ... using only Van Saar models...

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

moths posted:

Better still, get the new eyeless mandrakes that accidentally got put into the AoS range.

What are you referring to here?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Xotl posted:

probably Deepkin Thralls.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Glad to see BL authors are joining in making fun of their horrible fan base.

https://twitter.com/warlordguymer/status/998998113334583296?s=21

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Thats an excellent point, christ.

Yeah definitely one killteam with all rapid fire dropped in turn 2 using a doctrine on them to murder basically anything, just need to get the watch master in position turns 1 and 2 to help.

I suppose it helps them in getting cp that 6 kill teams of varying configurations with a watch master, captain, librarian and chaplain for 13cp would probably work.

Spend 2CP and now you can drop the Kill Team AND the Watch Master. And the Watch Master can bring along his Book of gently caress You in Particular so that the doctrine can allow them to reroll 1s to wound. Alternatively give the Watch Master the Beacon wargear and do a Turn 1 drop within 6" of him.

What I'm wondering is if I wouldn't be better off fielding a 10-man squad of Hellblasters for that particular bit of strategic mass murder.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Get that guard battalion.

You know you want it.

I do Dan. I do. So. loving much. I want to take 15 Van Saar and turn them into Stormtroopers, or 30 and turn them into Catachans or something. I'm already thinking of ways to quickly paint them up (use the bone color for armor plates, gray with light gray highlight and black wash for cloth, blue lights for cool bits).

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I do Dan. I do. So. loving much. I want to take 15 Van Saar and turn them into Stormtroopers, or 30 and turn them into Catachans or something. I'm already thinking of ways to quickly paint them up (use the bone color for armor plates, gray with light gray highlight and black wash for cloth, blue lights for cool bits).

30 catachans is a lot of fun on the table, especially with enough flamers to go around

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

How do you make the best guard batallion? ... using only Van Saar models...

Stop reading my mind, dammit.

zeal posted:

30 catachans is a lot of fun on the table, especially with enough flamers to go around

gently caress, now I want to use Goliaths.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Xotl posted:

Yeah the Deepkin thralls. They are basically mandrakes already, except they're missing eyes instead of mouths.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

the upcoming imperium vs. Tau box

Wait what

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Spend 2CP and now you can drop the Kill Team AND the Watch Master. And the Watch Master can bring along his Book of gently caress You in Particular so that the doctrine can allow them to reroll 1s to wound. Alternatively give the Watch Master the Beacon wargear and do a Turn 1 drop within 6" of him.

What I'm wondering is if I wouldn't be better off fielding a 10-man squad of Hellblasters for that particular bit of strategic mass murder.

Beer I swear you are a textbook case of someone constantly suffering from NAS.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

OhDearGodNo posted:

At least these are new models for the same army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Joys of being a slow painter. Most of this configuration talk doesn't translate to buying new models; I already have enough Inceptors, Aggressors, and Hellblasters to handle nearly every configuration possible. And what I paint gets used regardless. I enjoy thinking about the tactics and list building, and theory-crafting costs me nothing, so who cares?