Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

If Wendell gets to the final three he should lug all the furniture he's built to the tribal council and set himself up a throne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's possible she's not a whiny baby on the island and only that way in the confessionals...

Zesty posted:

:byodood: Kellyn Camp: We can have a girls lunch down here. We can do whatever the gently caress we please without them telling us what to do all the time.

:byodood: Kellyn Camp: All alone he doesn't care that he wrecked someone else's family visit which pisses me off.

:psyduck:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

We are clearly getting a weird edit because I don’t see how Kellyn could be perceived as a threat.

It could just be Dom and Wendell talking up the other players into being threats to deflect from themselves.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Man gently caress why did I trust Jeffs hype before season start. Like I knew it was gonna be male dominated season as soon he hypes it. Like I remember him not hyping Philippines season and that turned out great as well that he was surprised that people liked the winner of that season. Ugh..

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kellyn's Ponderosa is actually really sweet and charming. She also got a great reception. I really wonder why they edited her the way they did. Highlighting obnoxious moments doesn't make for a compelling villain.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Chewing with her mouth open as obnoxiously as she did would have put her on my boot list for sure. It shows a lack of social awareness.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Apparently people are saying Survivor: SA is really really good so far. i haven't watched it, but kinda cool that between South Africa and Australia there's multiple english language Survivor series out there in case the American one veers too far off course.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So I guess CBS wants the next season of Amazing Race to be alums from BB and Survivor and one of the teams might be Caleb and Tai :swoon:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

So I guess CBS wants the next season of Amazing Race to be alums from BB and Survivor and one of the teams might be Caleb and Tai :swoon:

Rad.

Also I've been thinking that maybe an Amazing Race style team season of survivor where they actually keep the pairs together and they are voted out or win together would be cool.

They could also do long full episodes since they'd need fewer tribals. Lots of potential for good drama when one team members blows the loving game up for the other, teams get separated for random rewards/exile/whatever

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Brother's done team seasons before and I feel like the result is really that it just encourages super majority alliances and "pagongings". BB had one season that exploded into full blown war between two factions but that took some really nasty people, some really petty and deep anger and resentment, and one or two players who basically went kamikaze (willing or unwittingly, is debatable).

They're different games and tribes and swaps probably break up the ability for a super majority to hold. But I think it inherently encourages "safety in numbers" which seems like the thing we don't want that leads to stuff like Laurel choosing trusted safety over going against numbers or Sebastian and Angela just seeming content to be in the numbers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Big Brother's done team seasons before and I feel like the result is really that it just encourages super majority alliances and "pagongings". BB had one season that exploded into full blown war between two factions but that took some really nasty people, some really petty and deep anger and resentment, and one or two players who basically went kamikaze (willing or unwittingly, is debatable).

They're different games and tribes and swaps probably break up the ability for a super majority to hold. But I think it inherently encourages "safety in numbers" which seems like the thing we don't want that leads to stuff like Laurel choosing trusted safety over going against numbers or Sebastian and Angela just seeming content to be in the numbers.

Maybe, but I'm willing to risk one season on a good attempt.

Not that JEFF PROBST IS READING THIS THREAD or anything

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

For someone that hasn't watched BB, how does a team season differ from Blood vs Water?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the idea here is that the two "blood" players compete as 1. BB did that a couple of times where they competed and got evicted as a team. BB also did seasons where the 2 "blood" players just compete as individuals which kind of just plays out loosely like Blood vs Water.

BB's tried a lot of poo poo and has a tendency to blow everything up mid season and try something different so there's a lot of different variations on how it works. But I contend that the default is that when you introduce "Blood" teams you basically just make it natural for majorities to form when 1 half of Team A and 1 half of Team B make a connection. If you link their fates to each other it just means you'd be dumb to take a risk against the numbers.

Which isn't to say that I'm necessarily against "Blood" castings. I think it adds interesting elements and without it we'd never have like voting out your mom. But I think it works against what we generally want, which is fluid alliances and players willing to shake poo poo up often and recklessly.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 19, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fast Luck posted:

out there in case the American one veers too far off course.

:rolleyes:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Quality post right there my man. s2 of the Australian reboot was without reservation much better than anything Survivor US has put out in several years. It appears the American version has made a deliberate choice to pivot away from straightforward social survival, with Cirie being 0-voted out and Jeff saying that was good, Ben immunizing himself through every late game vote, and Ghost Island having a mechanic specifically designed to keep the goods flowing, all in the last three seasons. It's still early in its evolution but I'm feeling f4 firemaking makes the game worse.

Australian Survivor has a lot more time to spend on character development, but with the right players still gets a ton of fun game moves. The potential casting spoiler for s3 isn't great, and I'm not ready to say it's definitively the better product at this point, but it could be. You shouldn't act like it's heresy to notice the direction the US game is taking.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 21, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wish every episode was two hours long

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A lot of issues with the US version is that often you're throwing cast darts on the board and hoping for the best. Philippines and Cagayan had great casting, and they've tried to replicate that, but even in casts where there's a lot of potential (Game Changers, HvHvH, Ghost Island), they can't control the boots. So you might get a whole bunch of really good interesting players getting knocked out early and being left with the boring yet effective casting duds. Then they try and control that by adding more advantages and ways for 'good' players to stick around and it just ends up reeking of 'we want our favourites to win', when instead they could just quality control the casting better. Sure you can't predict what people are like once they get on the island, but there's no way someone like JP last season should've made the final cut if they were trying to make interesting cast interactions.

AUS does get more time for the characters to develop, but 55-day games aren't always feasible.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
The reason why the US version steered away from pure social survival is because it's well-recognized after 36 seasons that being well-liked or being a strong social player puts a target on your back post-merge. Without idols and advantages added to the game dynamic, the bridge trolls would systematically take out the likable players until there's an all-goat FTC.
The way to manage this is to cast less goats, but there will always be some sort of social hierarchy regardless of how socially competent a cast is as a whole.
Australia would probably be at that point too, if they had 30+ seasons under their belt

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

The reason why the US version steered away from pure social survival is because it's well-recognized after 36 seasons that being well-liked or being a strong social player puts a target on your back post-merge. Without idols and advantages added to the game dynamic, the bridge trolls would systematically take out the likable players until there's an all-goat FTC.
The way to manage this is to cast less goats, but there will always be some sort of social hierarchy regardless of how socially competent a cast is as a whole.
Australia would probably be at that point too, if they had 30+ seasons under their belt

the real solution here is for the editors to find a way to make goats compelling - or at least funny and interesting. give us their goofy talking heads! show them doing whatever it is they're doing instead of participating in strategy!

jenna at ponderosa turned out to be hilarious. so too Haley the big lawyer patriot from a few seasons ago. these guys have personalities that aren't tied up in the big strategy game. like, how do these guys pass 20+ days on an island without doing something at least tangentially interesting?

the idea that people on this show are reduced to their level of strategic contribution is the worst thing about the last 16 seasons really

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

alf_pogs posted:

the idea that people on this show are reduced to their level of strategic contribution is the worst thing about the last 16 seasons really

this is absolutely absolutely correct

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm a big fan of the older Survivor with more focus on "survival" and personalities but like I get why the show went the way its gone with strategy first. Its how the fanbase has really gone in general. Fans will enjoy an entertaining character or a good story but the most passionate part of the fanbase after 30+ seasons always seems to be the "gamebots" and the "strategy." As evidence by how often discussion of "bitter juries" failing to reward the "right" winner pop up so early into seasons.

Well that and the people who try and decipher secret clues planted in the show edit. But that's a whole other thing. But Survivor probably plays to that a bit too.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I'm a big fan of the older Survivor with more focus on "survival" and personalities but like I get why the show went the way its gone with strategy first. Its how the fanbase has really gone in general. Fans will enjoy an entertaining character or a good story but the most passionate part of the fanbase after 30+ seasons always seems to be the "gamebots" and the "strategy." As evidence by how often discussion of "bitter juries" failing to reward the "right" winner pop up so early into seasons.

Well that and the people who try and decipher secret clues planted in the show edit. But that's a whole other thing. But Survivor probably plays to that a bit too.
The survival aspect has been done so much better in other shows for the last 15 years. I do enjoy when people try to game the system and bet on a swap letting them eat all the rice today without consequences.

The Survivor clue stuff seems like a drinking game for when someone makes a fire or gets an overhead shot.

Every show should have terrible clues like The Mole.

quote:

a red, white, and blue inflatable dolphin is shown. When rotated 90 degrees, this gives the flag of the Netherlands, Frederique's home country.
:jerkbag:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Every show should have terrible clues like The Mole.
:jerkbag:

The mole was great and should return.

Take back your insensitive emoji or you'll have made a powerless enemy today!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Bloop posted:

The mole was great and should return.

Take back your insensitive emoji or you'll have made a powerless enemy today!
The clues were bullshit! Whodunnit? should return.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The survival part is actually boring as poo poo. There's nothing interesting about watching people complain that they're hungry.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

The survival part is actually boring as poo poo. There's nothing interesting about watching people complain that they're hungry.

People who want pure games that don't have idols and focus on the Survival need to go back and watch older seasons. Yeeesh.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Sure but bitching isn't survival, that's social.

They used to show more fishing, hunting, fire building, coconut opening, chicken killing, and the like.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

People who want pure games that don't have idols and focus on the Survival need to go back and watch older seasons. Yeeesh.
Yeah exactly. The game got solved in season one so they need to have some twists and random aspects to make the show watchable.

The Bloop posted:

They used to show more fishing, hunting, fire building, coconut opening, chicken killing, and the like.

Ah yes that's what I tune to watch, some goofball hitting a coconut with a blunt machete and not chopping their toes off.

People who just want to watch people slowly dying in the jungle should just watch Survivorman or Bear Grylls or some nonsense.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoUNNjYnJlM

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah exactly. The game got solved in season one so they need to have some twists and random aspects to make the show watchable.

Ah yes that's what I tune to watch, some goofball hitting a coconut with a blunt machete and not chopping their toes off.

People who just want to watch people slowly dying in the jungle should just watch Survivorman or Bear Grylls or some nonsense.

Yeah. The way to hack open a coconut or spear a fish is never going to change. People's reaction to be able to obtain food in the wilderness will also never change. Oh, cool. Someone caught three fish in one day. Hungry people eat the fish. They say it's better than the rice they had been eating just plain previously.

I'm more interested in the impacts of hunger. Hunger and lack of sleep make people lash out, act irrational or paranoid. They become weaker at challenges. Some are more resilient while others blow up their own game or melt down and quit. The unpredictability in that regard is what keeps the drama fueled and entertaining

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you really like the survival stuff you can just watch Naked and Afraid. But that show got pretty boring to me after about a season (although I might have given it more time if Discovery didn't gently caress up my DVR all the time).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are some aspects of the survival that are good moments (never forget SevereGastroIntestinalDistress, or how Dave was a complete inept, or Cirie being scared of leaves), but it's not like the editors can't give us fun moments in between all the strategy. Chris being a smug butt while everyone rolls their eyes with funny music in the background? That's not that hard to put in. We saw more of that this season - Jenna/Sebastian braiding, Wendell giving Sebastian back his shell, etc.

So it couldn't have been that hard to give Chelsea more than four confessionals over her entire playtime.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i don't think it's all or nothing between survival stuff and game strategy, at all. and i certainly don't want a "pure" game of survivor, whatever that is - by and large, i agree hidden immunity idols and tribe swaps have given the show its longevity.

i just want to see the different castaway perspectives - like, what the hell do we even know about chelsea from her edit?

really, when the audience complains about a 'bitter jury', the problem is mainly that we haven't actually seen the jury's perspective clearly. the editors favour big strategic moves, or immunity challenge upsets, because it provides good tribal councils and big gasps. but they've also started confusing that with "the audience should root for the people that are making these moves". that's fine for us at home on the couch, but i don't think that's a reasonable expectation of the human beings playing the game.

juries don't make their decisions in a vacuum: it's influenced by what happens on the island, the relationships they build, the day-to-day bonding they have - or don't have - with their tribemates. tribal council is just the tip of the iceberg. big caveat i guess: in some cases it's kind of impossible to tell what juries are gonna do, because of their time together on ponderosa as well as potentially compelling final tribal council speeches.

anywho i mean, i'm gonna keep watching the show because it's good fun. i just wish we got to know the cast better!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Do they even do any fishing these days?

It used to be such a huge aspect of the show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They usually have fishing gear in there somewhere early on, often as a reward.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Who's ready for some KEVIN HART??!?!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Anyway I agree with Applesandoranges and alfpogs, they make some good points in that these other characters have to have something fun to show about them that can prevent the season from being so narrowly focused on just a few players. And it doesn't have to be survival/camp life stuff, since that stuff gets repetitive unless something unusual happens, it can just be showing their personality through some different moments.

that said, while I'm down on this season because it's been such a steamroll, and since the editors tipped their hands very early on as to what our destination would be, hey, we finally get to arrive at that destination! So I'm pretty up for this. Domenick will be a good winner, or Wendell would be if it's not Dom, and if it's anyone else, it'll be a hugely surprising outcome, so it's all good

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 23, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I've held that one of the main flaws of the editing of the show is that they are trying to build suspense for the vote reveal at Tribal Council and sometimes that leads to narratives that don't exist, or to eliminations that aren't explained properly within the context of the show.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fast Luck posted:

that said, while I'm down on this season because it's been such a steamroll, and since the editors tipped their hands very early on as to what our destination would be, hey, we finally get to arrive at that destination! So I'm pretty up for this. Dominic will be a good winner, or Wendell would be if it's not Dom, and if it's anyone else, it'll be a hugely surprising outcome, so it's all good

Steamrolls are okay if there's at least some interesting stuff along the way. And this wasn't a Kim Spradlin or J.T. style 'nobody is even thinking about taking them out' steamroll, it's more of the 'Laurel is actively impeding this', which is fascinating in a way as a lesson on how not to form an alliance when you have clearly less power than the other members. There were lots of times when Wendell should have been taken out (which makes him holding onto that idol even crazier).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
A reminder that pregame Laurel said that her biggest goal was taking out anybody who showed more strategic sense than her.

• Locked thread