Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The Mattias TP is a flat keyboard that is going to do literally nothing to help your issue. If you have an actual medical hand issue you need to buy a keyboard, from whatever company, that is specifically designed to prevent that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
no bowls, no keyboard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok, how are the mid range kinesis splits

i cant buy one of those $400 fuckoff boards but i have a 150 no questions budget which looks like it would get me a freestyle 2 kit

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

tactile pro is just nicer blues

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
these colors mean nothing. i use a $2.99 walgreens keyboard at home. i'll read up

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
blue = loud clicky because clicking louder means better nerd
brown = not as loud

theres more colors too and they each are slightly different in miniscule ways

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Sniep posted:

brown = not as loud

clears i’d say are pretty different, i found them uncomfortably stiff. like, hand pain stiff.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
if you can scrounge another $120, they’ve got refurbs on their site for $270. That’s what I went with, and I think all it had was a slight scratch on the case that I would have made in a week or two anyway.

if not, that split might work out for you, along with careful thought about how your desk/chair/etc is all setup. bowls+tented trackball made all the difference for me.

edit:discontinued new Advantage boards for $230 too.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 22, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sniep posted:

brown = not as loud

brown is still pretty darn loud though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm expensing this, gotta buy new

on the side though i may pick up an ergodox ez off a goon for home

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
jonny i have the matias quiet pro and it is good™

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have a leopold topre board (fc660c) and then another leopold topre board (fc980c) cuz i liked the first one so much

hope that helps

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Sniep posted:

i have a leopold topre board (fc660c) and then another leopold topre board (fc980c) cuz i liked the first one so much

hope that helps

i always wondered how these felt compared to hhkb or type heaven

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

what do we think about the matias mini tactile pro (for a straight board) or the ergo pro (for a split)

the ergo pro will be okay sound wise but the tacitle pro is way too loud; clicky matias switches are about on par with cherry mx blue for sound, if not louder

consider http://matias.ca/laptoppro/mac/ instead

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm expensing this, gotta buy new

on the side though i may pick up an ergodox ez off a goon for home

Microsoft has two ergo keyboards that might work for you. The Sculpt and Natural ergonomics are around $50-80. I used to use one and liked it a lot, and the shape is going to be waaaaay better than a flat board for natural hand position.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah others have mentioned that those new ones are well loved by people that jived on the old rear end MS Naturals which i loooooooved in the early 00's

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

yellow borders posted:

the ergo pro will be okay sound wise but the tacitle pro is way too loud; clicky matias switches are about on par with cherry mx blue for sound, if not louder

consider http://matias.ca/laptoppro/mac/ instead

This is a space saving keyboard that has no ergonomic value. It's a novelty for mechanical switch connoisseurs that want to slouch on a laz-e-boy not a serious office worker who has to type for a living.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Microsoft has two ergo keyboards that might work for you. The Sculpt and Natural ergonomics are around $50-80. I used to use one and liked it a lot, and the shape is going to be waaaaay better than a flat board for natural hand position.

yeah i'm using a sculpt nowadays, it's fine. sometimes i feel it if i don't take enough breaks because the keys are pretty "snappy" but mostly it's comfortable and you can't beat the price.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OK, IT is pretty flex, they said that i can get the Freestyle 2 blue right away and if it's not slick enough, I can return and upgrade to a matias ergo pro

i'll report back when it comes in!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Salt Fish posted:

a serious office worker who has to type for a living.

pity this man

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

ok, how are the mid range kinesis splits

i cant buy one of those $400 fuckoff boards but i have a 150 no questions budget which looks like it would get me a freestyle 2 kit

the freestyle is rubber dome trash

i just spend my own money on work keyboards because i am too embarrassed to ask for a $400 advantage II

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

thoughts and prayers for jonny's wrists

hope u find a suitable keeb so you can keep pulling dents out of cars like a boss

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we'll see how she runs. and yeah i want to start playing guitar again!

my coworker is a former powerlifter and she's gonna help me with some basic physical therapy and stuff.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

hi. i give up. this rmbp is causing my cubital tunnel to flare up

I CANNOT HAVE A LOUD rear end OFFENSIVE CLICKY THING

but i want a real keyboard

what do we think about the matias mini tactile pro (for a straight board) or the ergo pro (for a split)

kind of intrigued by the alps clones as i grew up on a //gs and then apple extended kb

this is for work, not fragging in playerunknown's overnite or whatever

in all seriousness, for what you’d spend on a new keyboard, you can get a USB-ADB adapter and just use a IIGS keyboard or an AEK/AEKII

it’ll be really comfortable and not too loud and you’ll get bonus hipster cred out of it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

we'll see how she runs. and yeah i want to start playing guitar again!

my coworker is a former powerlifter and she's gonna help me with some basic physical therapy and stuff.

wish i had a lady powerlifter coworker who would teach me how to type properly : (

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

wish i had a lady powerlifter coworker who would teach me how to type properly : (

she runs colemak. super on point. its weird to watch her type

eschaton posted:

in all seriousness, for what you’d spend on a new keyboard, you can get a USB-ADB adapter and just use a IIGS keyboard or an AEK/AEKII

it’ll be really comfortable and not too loud and you’ll get bonus hipster cred out of it

Any of those things would look yellower than a HDR print of the piss tape, and i can't be arsed to magic eraser 108 pieces of plastic. It's a point, though.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

jonny addresses the home row incorrectly. buff coworker crushes his balls under her heel and does 8 deadlifts - 400 lbs. then cranks out a script at 200 wpm while he looks on in shame and admiration

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

paging smythe. im dogshit garbage at doing words gnight.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

jonny addresses the home row incorrectly. buff coworker crushes his balls under her heel and does 8 deadlifts - 400 lbs. then cranks out a script at 200 wpm while he looks on in shame and admiration

p much

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roosevelt posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
alright freestyle 2 blue will be here on Friday. i know it's not fancykeys but we'll give it a week and see what we think, then go from there.

next week is payday and i'm gonna pick up that ergodox for home, which honestly i'm pretty loving excited about

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

alright freestyle 2 blue will be here on Friday. i know it's not fancykeys but we'll give it a week and see what we think, then go from there.

next week is payday and i'm gonna pick up that ergodox for home, which honestly i'm pretty loving excited about

don't you make a deece figgy now? why do you care what day payday is

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

don't you make a deece figgy now? why do you care what day payday is

eat a foreclosure and a divorce and report back

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

Any of those things would look yellower than a HDR print of the piss tape, and i can't be arsed to magic eraser 108 pieces of plastic. It's a point, though.

you’d be surprised how good shape some of the ones on eBay are actually in, virtually every keyboard I’ve bought is pristine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I have an AEK II and the keys (except for the space bar) are as white as the day it was made. the chassis and the space bar need some peroxide bleaching though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny, order this one, it’s in great shape and a good price

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'lll go ahead and save up for something new. if these things were 25 bucks i'd think about it. not paying $80 to type on some old dude's cumboard

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
it's your loss, it's the best keyboard ever made

I haven't used an AEK II in a long time, but the original AEK I use daily is loud as gently caress even though it's just tactile, not clicky

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

eschaton posted:

great shape

lol

it's even upgraded with coffee drainage holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

r u ready to WALK posted: