Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think so far the bucket, whatever it's actually called, seems to be my best weapon. Are there any others that are like that, with slow refire rate but high damage (or some other advantage)?

Maybe there's a charger in my future that's better than the starting rifle which is a pile of old rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I think so far the bucket, whatever it's actually called, seems to be my best weapon. Are there any others that are like that, with slow refire rate but high damage (or some other advantage)?

Maybe there's a charger in my future that's better than the starting rifle which is a pile of old rear end?

Sloshing machine, blasters, and the umbrellas are all in that ballpark.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The splat charger is generally regarded as the best, but try the splatterscopes and see if they are to your liking.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Yeah, definitely give the blasters a shot. They generally have a slow firing rate, but do a lot of damage on a direct hit, and splash damage if you miss. The rapid and clash blasters are weaker, but fire more rapidly, whereas the normal, range, and Luna can one shot someone with a direct hit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ciaphas posted:

Other sloshers are like that as well. Tri-Slosher has a shorter range, but it has a faster fire rate, and wider shots. So aiming is far more forgiving there, so long as you're in range of your target. Sloshing Machine is a bit different from those two in that you are rewarded for a direct hit, but has a fairly forgiving indirect hit range as well. Also it has a different arc type (the shot arcs up a lot farther before coming down), which can make it easier to do something like drive Inklings off the tower in Tower Control.

Blasters are also slow firing weapons, but they deal a ton of damage on a hit. There are a group of Blasters (Luna Blaster, Blaster, and Range Blaster) that will all instantly splat an Inkling on a direct hit. However, the shots also explode and deal splash damage, so they're also fairly forgiving if you miss. Other Blasters simply deal a lot of damage on a direct hit and a bit less if you hit with the splash damage instead.

Luna Blaster is the fastest firing lethal Blaster, but has the shortest range out of all of them.

Blaster is the jack of all trades when it comes to lethal Blasters.

Range Blaster is the longest ranged lethal Blaster, but it also has the slowest firing rate, so it's really unforgiving to use.

Rapid Blaster is one of the fastest firing Blasters, but doesn't instantly splat on a direct hit, and explosions deal even less damage. However, it's even longer ranged than the Range Blaster.

Rapid Blaster Pro is similar to the Rapid Blaster, but has a slower firing rate in exchange for even more range.

Clash Blaster is the fastest firing Blaster period. However, it's also the shortest ranged Blaster, on top of being the weakest in terms of raw damage. A direct hit is even weaker than a Rapid Blaster direct, and killing with the splash damage is fairly slow. Its explosions are bigger than the other Blasters, though. Also unfortunately, it's one of the last weapons to be unlocked, since you need to be level 30 to get access to both kits.

I hate to tell you this, but the Splat Charger and Splatterscope are considered to be the best chargers in the game right now. All the others are either considered to be really bad in comparison (E-liter, Squiffer, and Goo Tuber), or requires a ridiculous amount of practice to make good. (Bamboozler.)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest schedules :siren:

• JP My Melody vs. Pom Pom Purin @ May 26th 15:00 JT
  • JP Sanrio Final: Hello Kitty vs. ? @ June 9th 15:00 JT

All Splatfests last for 24 hours.

Nothing for the west for a long time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

Other sloshers are like that as well. Tri-Slosher has a shorter range, but it has a faster fire rate, and wider shots. So aiming is far more forgiving there, so long as you're in range of your target. Sloshing Machine is a bit different from those two in that you are rewarded for a direct hit, but has a fairly forgiving indirect hit range as well. Also it has a different arc type (the shot arcs up a lot farther before coming down), which can make it easier to do something like drive Inklings off the tower in Tower Control.

Blasters are also slow firing weapons, but they deal a ton of damage on a hit. There are a group of Blasters (Luna Blaster, Blaster, and Range Blaster) that will all instantly splat an Inkling on a direct hit. However, the shots also explode and deal splash damage, so they're also fairly forgiving if you miss. Other Blasters simply deal a lot of damage on a direct hit and a bit less if you hit with the splash damage instead.

Luna Blaster is the fastest firing lethal Blaster, but has the shortest range out of all of them.

Blaster is the jack of all trades when it comes to lethal Blasters.

Range Blaster is the longest ranged lethal Blaster, but it also has the slowest firing rate, so it's really unforgiving to use.

Rapid Blaster is one of the fastest firing Blasters, but doesn't instantly splat on a direct hit, and explosions deal even less damage. However, it's even longer ranged than the Range Blaster.

Rapid Blaster Pro is similar to the Rapid Blaster, but has a slower firing rate in exchange for even more range.

Clash Blaster is the fastest firing Blaster period. However, it's also the shortest ranged Blaster, on top of being the weakest in terms of raw damage. A direct hit is even weaker than a Rapid Blaster direct, and killing with the splash damage is fairly slow. Its explosions are bigger than the other Blasters, though. Also unfortunately, it's one of the last weapons to be unlocked, since you need to be level 30 to get access to both kits.

I hate to tell you this, but the Splat Charger and Splatterscope are considered to be the best chargers in the game right now. All the others are either considered to be really bad in comparison (E-liter, Squiffer, and Goo Tuber), or requires a ridiculous amount of practice to make good. (Bamboozler.)

oh jeez i thought with blasters you were supposed to hit with the explosion and NOT directly, fuckin rip

guess I know what I'm trying tomorrow. thanks for the writeups y'all

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

oh jeez i thought with blasters you were supposed to hit with the explosion and NOT directly, fuckin rip

Gonna say this right now, the testing range is your best friend. It can help you learn about a weapon's properties before going into an actual match.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

You'll hear a very distinct ding noise if you score a direct hit with a blaster, which is both extremely satisfying and lets you know you're doing it right.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The blaster ding might be my favorite sound in the game

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Isn't it the same sound as when you get a direct hit with a charger?

Ciaphas posted:

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you've got a bunch of enemies grouped together (like say, on a tower on tower control), then you'll want to hit just near them, because direct hits don't do splash damage.
Splash damage is also good for cleaning out snipers, since you can often get into a spot where you can hit them without them hitting you.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure that direct hits still deal splash damage as well. At least, they definitely do in Salmon Run, otherwise blasters would be terrible at killing Stingers, which they most definitely aren't.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Different blasters also have shot patterns that favor splash damage, like the clash blaster which dumps around people very quickly so its difficult for someone to escape or adjust their aim before they're chipped away from splash damage.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Clash Blaster is the fastest firing Blaster period. However, it's also the shortest ranged Blaster, on top of being the weakest in terms of raw damage. A direct hit is even weaker than a Rapid Blaster direct, and killing with the splash damage is fairly slow. Its explosions are bigger than the other Blasters, though.
That last bit is the key because it lets you hit players who aren’t (and don’t have you) in direct line of sight, like below the edge of a platform you’re on or around a corner—you can hear that you’re doing damage so you don’t need to actually see them. In modes like Tower Control or Splat Zones where opponents can get more focused on working a location-based objective than on splatting other players you can seriously tear poo poo up.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

yeah the clash blaster is a bunch of bullshit. it's huge explosion range means that it can outrange a bunch of weapons it shouldn't

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

raditts posted:

Isn't it the same sound as when you get a direct hit with a charger?

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you've got a bunch of enemies grouped together (like say, on a tower on tower control), then you'll want to hit just near them, because direct hits don't do splash damage.
Splash damage is also good for cleaning out snipers, since you can often get into a spot where you can hit them without them hitting you.

Direct hits do deal splash damage. Shots explode when they reach the end of their range, or upon hitting their target. So grouped up Inklings can theoretically get splatted by 1 shot.

However, if a Blaster shot hits the wall or floor, the shot still explodes, but the splash damage and the explosion radius are both halved. This was an important technique for Rapid Blasters in 1, since it was a way to shorten your range in a firefight (assuming you hit your target with a direct hit first) and they were trying to charge straight at you.

The Blaster explosions are also important for hitting around corners, so you can use those to scout or have an advantage in firefights by hitting enemies that are trying to cover themselves.

doors
May 5, 2018

Borsche69 posted:

yeah the clash blaster is a bunch of bullshit. it's huge explosion range means that it can outrange a bunch of weapons it shouldn't

it is very easy to outrange a clash with any mid-range weapon as it boasts (literally) the shortest range in the entire game, tied with the luna blaster. the explosion radius extends that by a lot, but that takes 4-5 shots to kill. considering the fire rate is only about 10 frames faster than the splat brella, that leaves quite a bit of time to aim and kill in a head-on, 1-v-1 situation (even assuming you weren't already firing at the clash before entering its explosion range). it's really quite terrible in skirmishes like that.

its real strength is applying chip damage, enabling its teammates to finish squids off quickly or finishing off weakened squids trying to escape the fray. there's a reason clash blasters end games with ridiculous kill stats, most of them are really just assists :ghost:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, Clash's strength is catching people off guard. It's absolutely terrible in a straight up fight. Most weapons will just flat out murder you before you can even get close or by the time you tag them with 1 or 2 explosions.

Clashes aren't really great at claiming turf, so map control can also really shut them down or make life hard for them. (Clash Neo doesn't struggle as much due to having Curling Bombs to carve paths for it.) A Clash Blaster that has free reign of the map is a scary Clash, since they could theoretically be anywhere on the map, just waiting for you to drop your guard and feast on you. If you're finding that a Clash Blaster is running rampant and absolutely dominating the match, chances are, you really should be painting the map more. (Same applies for stuff like the Inkbrush and Octobrush as well.)

Preventing situations where a Clash Blaster or any other weapon would very easily kick your rear end is just as important, if not more important than being able to fight your way out of sticky situations like that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Bloop posted:

No way. Grizzco Charger can't fire that many times before reloading

Yeah I was about to say lol that easily has half the ink usage of the Grizzco Charger . Good god .

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

In Training posted:

The blaster ding might be my favorite sound in the game

:woomy: although the kerplunk of landing in ink off a big fall is a strong contender. But yeah, the direct sound is the most satisfying.

Borsche69 posted:

yeah the clash blaster is a bunch of awesome. it's huge explosion range means that it can outrange a bunch of weapons it shouldn't

One of the hidden joys of the clash blaster is playing it on rainmaker and just getting that direct sound over and over as you rapid-fire the rainmaker shield and bathe in that Skinner-box dopamine.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

something i forgot from the raf / donnie splatfest. love it when this happens

https://twitter.com/nintendogs_2/status/999608681279836160

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This SR set. Oh dyno dollar how I lothe you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

This SR set. Oh dyno dollar how I lothe you

Use it to crush Chum with impunity.

Especially CoHawks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anyone got recs on what weapon types they generally recommend for different battle formats? i’m drawing a blank overall, and except for chargers I can find something to like in every single one of them :(

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Especially CoHawks.

I get that but this stupid thing is simply not my style and the last thing I'd ever pick.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

anyone got recs on what weapon types they generally recommend for different battle formats? i’m drawing a blank overall, and except for chargers I can find something to like in every single one of them :(

Hard to say, because it's not really a weapon type, so much as specific weapon kits don't work that well or only excel in certain modes. For example, Sloshing Machine. Great in Tower Control and on certain maps. Not so great in the other game modes. Blasters are generally great weapons in every game mode, but they dominate hard in Tower Control. In unorganized Turf War matches though, they don't do that well because the (non-Rapid) blasters don't paint that well, so you basically have to focus on killing the enemy team the entire match.

Maps can also influence how good or bad a weapon gets. For example, Suction Bomb Launcher is normally a decent special, but on a map like Moray Towers, it rarely does all that much due to how the map is laid out. So weapons with that as their special can get considerably weaker on that map unless they're in specific circumstances.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Ciaphas posted:

From your earlier post I think you might like splatlings. Long charge time but once it's charged you fire ink at an absurd rate and generally if you get the crosshair over someone just ever so briefly they'll go down.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Todd_Spengo/status/998806360497184768?s=19

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

I get that but this stupid thing is simply not my style and the last thing I'd ever pick.

Wait til you roll a firefly round with one :unsmigghh:.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

g0lbez posted:

From your earlier post I think you might like splatlings. Long charge time but once it's charged you fire ink at an absurd rate and generally if you get the crosshair over someone just ever so briefly they'll go down.

Maybe if the charge time were slightly less. Getting jumped while using one of those things sucks :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Maybe if the charge time were slightly less. Getting jumped while using one of those things sucks :v:

This is why it's important to learn how to use partial charges well. Knowing how much you need to charge to launch just enough bullets to shred a target close to you is an important skill to learn while using them.

When using any Splatling, charging up the first ring increases both the range and the firing duration. The second ring only increases the firing duration.

Also, Run Speed Up is an absolute must have when using any Splatling.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Dr. Fetus posted:

This is why it's important to learn how to use partial charges well. Knowing how much you need to charge to launch just enough bullets to shred a target close to you is an important skill to learn while using them.

When using any Splatling, charging up the first ring increases both the range and the firing duration. The second ring only increases the firing duration.

Also, Run Speed Up is an absolute must have when using any Splatling.

Run speed up fucks my game up with splatlings, I'd say swim speed up works better for me on heavy weapons

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The only Splatling that's considered to be heavy is Hydra. All the others have medium weight. Anyways, the reason Run Speed Up is essential on them is because it gives your far more mobility when charging, and when you're firing, you're the fastest firing weapon in the game (essentially, you're just a long ranged Aerospray when firing a Splatling.) and Splatlings really love mobility. So RSU makes it easier to just deal out a death barrage while firing. The sweet spot for the amount of RSU in a Splatling build is around 3 mains, because that gets you a little less than 75% of the maximum effect. (So a 22.4% boost to your movement speed.)

Granted outside of Splatlings, Run Speed Up is really hard to justify on a lot of weapons that isn't the N-ZAP (And even then, RSU isn't really essential on it) due to the severe nerf it got between games. (It eventually got partially unnerfed for Splatlings due to how essential it was for them, and they really suffered from that nerf big time.)

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/999936265431564288/photo/2

Incidentally, Japan is getting a different Shifty recycled. The revolving door map got changed so that the mid wall pretty much no longer exists. So the doors are now just alternate routes, which should make that map significantly less of a clusterfuck.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I use the same weapon for every single mode, if you're flip flopping to find out what you like just follow your quan

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Does anyone else swap out gear as soon as you've unlocked all the abilities on it? I feel like my win-rates fluctuate slightly because I rarely roll around in a full kit of abilities. I don't have the coin to scrub everything but I like to build up my wardrobe and just recently started getting three-star items. I know some people have perfect sets but for turf and even ranked I do a lot of jumping from three pieces with four abilities back to fresh gear with locked nodes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm still trying to build my perfect sets, so I might as well not even have abilities.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait til you roll a firefly round with one :unsmigghh:.

Yeah and then everyone runs around like idiots and completely disregards what you're doing. Of course at the end of the day if you're holding the line, it doesn't matter how stupid they act. It's failproof.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Does anyone else swap out gear as soon as you've unlocked all the abilities on it? I feel like my win-rates fluctuate slightly because I rarely roll around in a full kit of abilities. I don't have the coin to scrub everything but I like to build up my wardrobe and just recently started getting three-star items. I know some people have perfect sets but for turf and even ranked I do a lot of jumping from three pieces with four abilities back to fresh gear with locked nodes.

I try to get perfect gear bc im a freak so I have a variety of 1-star grinding sets to get chunks for stuff I want to max out. And then ill take that stuff into X rank

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

A lot of answers that were very good already given but I’d like to add my own thoughts. And of course all these are IMO and you should find what works for you.

Turf War: Anything works here, but bear in mind weapons that don’t ink well will be heavily dependent upon your team to do so. But if you can get splats they’ll have the chance.
Splat Zones: I like weapons that can lay some ink down here too, like rapid fire shooters or splatlings. But like TW anything can work if you know your role. This is basically just TW but confined to a smaller area.
Tower Control: I like a bit of range here, but emphasis on “bit”. Doesn’t have to be terribly long. Aerosprays, Splash O Matic and Dapple Dualies I have trouble with because they barely reach up to the tower from the ground. But blasters, even and especially the Clash, are OP here because of the splash damage that can hurt over the tower’s edge. Anything with stingray is a good call too because it forces the opponent to clear the tower or die.
Rainmaker: Not too many rules here although I tend to favor mobility like some variation on Dualies since the whole map is in play. The big thing to do is scout the map and find the fastest route to the goal that also is far enough away from their spawn to not leave you vulnerable.
Clam Blitz: Forge Splattershot Pro and Heavy Splatling Deco, with the bubble blower, allow you to lock down a path to the goal either offensively or defensively. Ink brushes are also fantastic as you can ride the brush to quickly get in, throw in a ball, and get out (or allow teammates to jump to you near the goal). But I’m tragic at CB so take it with a grain of salt.

The biggest thing IMO is to know your role. If you’re playing a short range weapon stay up to the front and get kills, but try to be stealthy about it. If you’re playing a fast inking weapon that’s weak, keep the map painted for your teammates and avoid engagements unless you have the element of surprise. If playing a ranged weapon stay in the back but don’t camp. Move up with your teammates if needed to support them, and don’t be afraid to fall back if things go tits up. More important than maining a weapon IMO is finding a role (or more) that works for you and figuring out how various weapons work within that role.

e: Also if you’re interested in a weapon but it’s not clicking look up a YouTube tutorial. Some weapons only really work with certain play styles. For example the roller seems like a turfing weapon but rolling around just leaves you exposed. It’s much better as a ninja-killing weapon where you pop out of the ink and SMASH an unsuspecting squid but you might not know that offhand. The Dualie Squelchers are the closest I have to a “main” but I didn’t start tearing up with them until I saw a video that advised to focus on inking turf and marking enemies for others with point sensor. (I’ll digress to say that you find a lot of people in solo don’t want to play support so you can be very successful if you choose to and help the others go slay.)

Randumb Thots fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Especially CoHawks.

It also trivializes Goldie rounds.