Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
This legendary Nadal ad probably convinced a bunch of SporTV viewers that spanish is worth leaning since 2009. Years later it still gets me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqzUrMaYLq8

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

not a huge maduro fan but all these articles calling him a Unelected Dictator after winning 70% of the vote in an election with only slightly lower turnout than American elections, where the candidate with less votes won, are pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/999208351790755840

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
70% is downright sensible for someone rigging an election if he did. you'd think more dictators would do that instead of always getting 95%+ of the vote

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

well the most embarrassing thing was the turnout, so if youre going to rig yourself 70% of the vote should also buffer the turnout

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah the US really isn't in a position to criticise any other countries elections lol

https://twitter.com/hannahdreier/status/998539490728783872

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

2025 seems like a long ways away but that'll just be the start of trumps third term.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

70% is downright sensible for someone rigging an election if he did. you'd think more dictators would do that instead of always getting 95%+ of the vote

Maduro got 70% of the vote because the main opposition group boycotted the election when they could have won.

Jose posted:

yeah the US really isn't in a position to criticise any other countries elections lol

https://twitter.com/hannahdreier/status/998539490728783872

trump_inauguration_wideshot.jpeg

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah the opposition probably would have won if they tried. maduro isn't popular.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Maduro got 70% of the vote because the main opposition group boycotted the election when they could have won.

lol

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Western media was calling the election rigged before, during, and after it happened.

And the US was going to sanction Venezuela regardless.

https://twitter.com/APjoshgoodman/status/998569608780111872

Lol, the AP guy is more balanced than the ProPublica person.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Just when I think the democrats are the worse opposition, Venezuela's always manages to surprise me.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

saying "they could have won!" seems naive when there's very good evidence vote totals were outright altered in the last election, and when the PSUV lost the election prior to that the Supreme Court just negated everything they did

also, while Venezuela's opposition is utter poo poo, unlike US Democrats, they at least have the excuse of having popular members arrested/removed from office on flimsy pretexts

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

LGD posted:

saying "they could have won!" seems naive when there's very good evidence vote totals were outright altered in the last election, and when the PSUV lost the election prior to that the Supreme Court just negated everything they did

also, while Venezuela's opposition is utter poo poo, unlike US Democrats, they at least have the excuse of having popular members arrested/removed from office on flimsy pretexts

gently caress the us and gently caress the opposition

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Top City Homo posted:

gently caress the us and gently caress the opposition

gently caress you

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

qnqnx posted:

gently caress you

go burn a maternity clinic about it

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Top City Homo posted:

go burn a maternity clinic about it

Go defend a failing dictatorship oh wait you are already doing that.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Just when I think the democrats are the worse opposition, Venezuela's always manages to surprise me.

Liberal oppositionists fumbling a gimme election is another obvious parallel, yeah.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so Brazil is having a trucking strike because fuel prices got jacked and the "autonomous transporter" management strategy pushed by companies and such to prevent them from unionizing actually can't do poo poo from a legal pov to compel them to, you know, carry goods around

since the country infrastructure is "even though we are a continental country with the majority of people living in the Atlantic shoreline, gently caress any form of transportation except roads", fuel prices have skyrocketed and let's not enter in food logistics lol

I am just thinking it is unbelievably hilarious that for once a cost-saving anti-labor measure actually provided the perfect cover for they to strike and give no fucks at all lmao

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
40% of the bus fleet won't be operational here in SP tomorrow. :yum:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm gonna take a flight to manaus tomorrow and I'm wondering if the plane will actually take off lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You'll have to get out on the wings and flap.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
According to this Globo editorial, Brazil should look at Thatcher and Macron re: dealing with strikers. Did you know Brazil is the only country on earth where strikes work? Communists :argh:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

lmao, like striker repression isn't a huge deal already in Brazil

editorials like that always make me question that the internet didn't make a problem worse, just gave more exposition: like, what loving reality the people who pen those live? The elitist "intellectual conservative" MAGA-like bubble in the West must been in existence for what, six or seven decades by now?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

strike goes on, flights are being cancelled and public transportation is reducing capacity across all cities

lessons for future communism: logistics workers are the new vanguard

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

someone said the truckers' strike is a locaute

what is a locaute?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

dead comedy forums posted:

strike goes on, flights are being cancelled and public transportation is reducing capacity across all cities

lessons for future communism: logistics workers are the new vanguard

I dream about a general strike in the telecommunications industry from my business internet tech support days. If communications and transactions processing weren't possible it'd give capitalism a heart attack.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Weeping Wound posted:

someone said the truckers' strike is a locaute

what is a locaute?

PT-BR for lockout

kinda, though not entirely accurate: from what I gathered, autonomous drivers were the main force behind it, and transport companies decided to "let" their drivers strike (going by the info given by the main trucker associations it was more of a move to save face because the employed truckers were going to halt anyway)

this one, which all states and the federal district were in and the truckers blocked major intersections along the busiest federal roadways and main interstates, is leagues beyond the last attempt at a general trucker's strike 3 years back which deffo was a lockout, since most drivers were company workers and while some autonomous drivers showed solidarity, a much larger number didn't agree with the overall tone and saw the complaints more in favor of businesses rather than drivers, so the government managed a thing or two and it fizzled

now the president managed to get a 15-day truce of sorts tonight, so I am curious to see what plan those maniacs are cooking, so far the main guarantee is that the government will subsidize diesel costs to Petrobras (main state fuel company) which will allow it to maintain its pricing policy, so I expect some bullshit regressive tax hike

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

strike is far from loving over, actually, because the deal was made with entities representing the companies and businessmen

drivers said "gently caress that poo poo" and rallied, they kept the blockades and are going to distribute whatever perishable goods they might have in cargo if it risks expiring

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
love it, love everything about it. though i should point out the anarchists in france who wrote the "the coming insurrection" correctly identified the weakness of just-in-time logistics to class action amongst the transportation industry

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its almost like when modern business relies on every single worker in the chain being as timely as possible, the individual has much more power to disrupt

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/afp/status/1000193184620826626?s=21

hola columbia. congrats on becoming an imperialist stooge!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's all folks

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1000193184620826626?s=21

hola columbia. congrats on becoming an imperialist stooge!

Well, heck.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:eyepop:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jose posted:

Yeah it's way more plausible

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

With whom? Maduro isn't shy about imprisoning or disqualifying potential rivals. Even when they won a super-majority in the Assembly they weren't allowed to actually exercise their power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I guess the only choice is to kill poor people then.

• Locked thread