Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

I'm clearly trolling and have been since I mentioned ADTRW%^*&whatever the gently caress it's called. Jesus guys. That doesn't mean that manga isn't terrible.

Anime though...

Hey if multiple people are asking you if you're trolling it's not clear dogg. That is kind of what clear means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The whole point of my post was pissing contests between two similar mediums was stupid.

Not to actually start one.

You're terrible at posting in that case.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Hey if multiple people are asking you if you're trolling it's not clear dogg. That is kind of what clear means.

Well FINE.

We need sarcasm tags back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skwirl posted:

You're terrible at posting in that case.

Lol how

Think before you post my dude

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:cripes:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rhyno posted:

Well FINE.

We need sarcasm tags back.

The world mourns the loss of the sarcmark.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gynovore posted:

The world mourns the loss of the sarcmark.

Way back in the day we had vb code for sarcasm since nobody was able to tell if anyone was being serious about anything.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=277

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thats my secret, captain

Im always sarcastic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol how

Think before you post my dude

Go gently caress yourself troll.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
So, an office worker gets stuck in a time loop. Groundhog day-style, he wakes up every day on the same morning, and at night he's taunted by the ghost of a kid he knew in highschool. ( read right to left )

From Mizukami Satoshi's anthology of short comics.

What I find inspiring about Mizukami's work is that you can find almost every comic he's ever made, from his high-school scribbles to his modern big-budget anime-adapted projects. You can watch his writing and artwork evolving over twenty years of dedication to his craft.

As a general thread question, who's your favourite creator who's evolved most over their career? Share some inspiring improvement!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skwirl posted:

Go gently caress yourself troll.

What are you talking about

I think you mixed me up with Rhyno

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Skwirl is Mah Waifu, he ain't mixing us up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Okay maybe he is an extreme comics partisan.

In which case chill out dude

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Life must be hard for some BSS posters, any time they see something remotely tied to those filthy "animes" they transform into frothing berserkers, eager to defend the sanctity of good, pure, american Comic Books from the corrupting touch of Japan.

If you guys saw a real life Japanese person would you just like, explode?

uh oh watch out here comes some of that filthy manga from earlier in this very thread

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm gonna dust these off again since we're posting sad dog panels

Stargazing Dog
wait that was really sad, now I'm sad. Save me from the evils of manga, western comics!

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've never read that boxing comic before, and I don't care about boxing particularly, but those pages were really beautifully paced and inspired me to start reading the whole thing.

I think sometimes the differences in the way Western superhero comics and other kinds of comics are structured, and the rhythms their respective formats tend to encourage or cultivate, make it difficult to post brief snippets in threads like these (I've seen pages from various shonen that really worked in their context as payoff to pages of choreography of years of emotional build-up fall flat when presented here as just, "hey, look at this"), but a lot of the time I think people are just digging in their heels and sticking with a kind of provincial formal defensiveness that felt hoary 15 years ago.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Comics people drive like this, and anime people drive like this!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I read those panels from Hajime No Ippo. And I am sure that Infinitium got a lot from them. And I believe that it probably acts as a perfect final act to 30+ years of story. And it is almost certainly thematic for a story about boxing and strength that the ultimate opponent is time...

But I laughed my rear end off after all the build up of information given in Infinitum post and the panel posted is showing the main character knocked flat on his rear end.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Mangas are good but it's hard to post climatic sequences because they're not contained like american comics and most of you folk don't have the encyclopedic knowledge about their characters like you have with western ones, so if you want to post a cool moment you gotta make a little effortpost like Infinitum did to catch everyone up and even then it probably won't be very effective.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, pretty sure there are multiple panels in every single issue of Lone Wolf and Cub that you could post.

Panels that are only badass if you’ve been reading hundreds of issues of buildup aren’t in fact badass.

Oops. This isn’t the badass thread, where this argument normally breaks out. Same goes for touching / inspiring though.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Nah, pretty sure there are multiple panels in every single issue of Lone Wolf and Cub that you could post.

Panels that are only badass if you’ve been reading hundreds of issues of buildup aren’t in fact badass.

Oops. This isn’t the badass thread, where this argument normally breaks out. Same goes for touching / inspiring though.

I mean Lone Wolf and Cub is kind of interesting to me in that I've often thought about putting scenes of it in the badass thread, but run into fundamental differences in pacing and rhythm that make it difficult to include a satisfying build-up and a satisfying climax within the limited page count these threads have to work with. As a thought experiment, take, say, the justly famous scene early on in which the bad-guy, his throat slashed open, hears the wind singing in the cut-- one of the slickest and most poetic bits of economic violence in all comics-- and try to convey what works about it without the much different tempo of the pages on either side of it to throw it into relief. Lone Wolf and Cub is exceptionally good at a trick I think a lot of good action manga has taken from it, namely using rapid shifts in how time progresses from panel to panel to manipulate tension and generate excitement.

(Sarah Horrocks has a provocative essay about this principle and how it works in Blade of the Immortal here)

Western comics, I think, treat the space of the "fight scene" as more of a tableau, in which (well, ideally) legibility and clarity of expression take precedence over cinematic techniques. Jim Steranko's classic Nick Fury splash-pages are where my mind immediately goes-- that beautiful frozen-in-time sensation of knowing exactly where all the players are positioned, with the necessary crash into action and mayhem being left to the imagination of the reader. Even Kirby, who was often much less interested in tight choreography than pitching the drama of a fight, treated his figures, imo, more like sculpures than actors, with his super dynamic and distorted poses used to condense the psychic drama of a character rather than to imply a logical "next" panel. If you see a Kirby of the panel of the Thing getting ready to clobber, you immediately know where Ben Grimm's head is at even if you can't necessarily guess just where his punch is going to land.

Aside from the fact that most of us reading this forum are more accustomed to Western comics and therefore have just internalized a lot of the tricks and grammar that suddenly look weird if you think about them too hard (I remember the first time I read Understanding Comics, going back and flipping through some random Rob Liefeld X-Force I had lying around, and trying to figure out how the hell I'd stitched a cohesive throughline out of what he'd actually put down on the page), I think the Western style just lends itself better to the 1-4 page excerpt, because the panels are, often, doing a different, denser kind of visual and narrative labor.

I mean, people talk about decompression in American superhero comics as a symptom of bloat, but some of the most thrilling fights I've seen in this medium were stretched out over dozens of manga chapters, while others took up a handful of tight Ditko-drawn pages. I don't think that's really a condemnation of either so much as an endorsement of both.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 23, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Choco1980 posted:

Comics people drive like this, and anime people drive like this!

Checks out. I drive and read American.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Archyduke posted:

I mean Lone Wolf and Cub is kind of interesting to me in that I've often thought about putting scenes of it in .....
This is a good post and I appreciate it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What's funny to me about Hajime no Ippo is that his coach is, by all rights, a complete loving moron. His oh-so-wise strategy for Ippo boils down to "tank that punch with your head!" and "FIGHTING SPIRIT!" I don't know if he even taught Ippo how to dodge punches. His teachings are the main reason Ippo's been forced to retire so early, and absolutely no one calls him out on it. I'd even say he's the main antagonist here.

The series could've been a lot better if it explored the idea of Ippo getting away from his coach's toxic influence and found someone who could actually teach him how to box better. Instead it just kept teasing Ippo will rise to the next level and spun its wheels.

There's also Ippo's completely hosed up relationship with his kinda-sorta-girlfriend, but that's another can of worms.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

What that’s not true, it’s in fact the opposite. Panels with no real build up are generally lame or trying way to hard.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

amigolupus posted:

What's funny to me about Hajime no Ippo is that his coach is, by all rights, a complete loving moron. His oh-so-wise strategy for Ippo boils down to "tank that punch with your head!" and "FIGHTING SPIRIT!" I don't know if he even taught Ippo how to dodge punches. His teachings are the main reason Ippo's been forced to retire so early, and absolutely no one calls him out on it. I'd even say he's the main antagonist here.

The series could've been a lot better if it explored the idea of Ippo getting away from his coach's toxic influence and found someone who could actually teach him how to box better. Instead it just kept teasing Ippo will rise to the next level and spun its wheels.

There's also Ippo's completely hosed up relationship with his kinda-sorta-girlfriend, but that's another can of worms.

It's shocking how long Ippo's career has been considering his best defensive strategy is "Run face first into their fist before they can fully extend"

Also kind of hilarious how little concern Coach has for Ippo's health considering his backstory.

edit: I adore HnI, but it's definitely got its share of problems, my "favorite" being the casual racism peppered throughout.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
There is nothing casual about the racism in HnI.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cuchulain posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

WE3 is great. OK, it's essentially The Incredible Journey meets Short Circuit, but it has the best splash pages I've ever seen.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Archyduke posted:

As a thought experiment, take, say, the justly famous scene early on in which the bad-guy, his throat slashed open, hears the wind singing in the cut-- one of the slickest and most poetic bits of economic violence in all comics-- and try to convey what works about it without the much different tempo of the pages on either side of it to throw it into relief.

This is a good post and I need to read Lone Wolf and Cub now. Would you mind posting these pages? I'm really curious how the pacing of that sequence works.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bit of a derail, but... Lone Wolf and Cub is fantastic.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What that’s not true, it’s in fact the opposite. Panels with no real build up are generally lame or trying way to hard.

Panels and pages can be better with build up but still stand on their own.

These are three pages from the first DH volume (reversed for my western eyes) that I think stand pretty well on their own. It's even got a sweet action hero one-liner at the end.

They are still better if you've read the first part of the issue where he fights his way through the eight gates (women warriors) before this scene. They are yet better if you've read a ton of LW&C and understand the character better, and the themes and tone that Koike and Kojima use throughout the entire work. But I think they stand up against almost everything we see in the badass thread.

Archyduke posted:

a good post

That said I don't really disagree with this. I have a lot of trouble with manga in general because it doesn't fit the storytelling structures I'm used to, even as somebody who reads a ton of bizarre indie stuff. I struggle with pages long fight scenes without dialogue. I think so many western comics have specifically riffed on LW&C that it's a much easier read for western audiences. We've come at this very specific type of story from the other direction, and we're already used to a lot of the conventions.

e: And to bring it back to touching / inspiring moments, I think this type of story makes touching moments a lot harder to pull out in single panels or pages than badass moments. It's a story about a samurai assassin who kills 1-100 people every issue. There are a ton of badass moments. The touching moments are kind of on the margins, and really do have more weight when you know the characters.

I was going to post some great Daigoru moments but then I realized they are way more badass than touching. That kid is hard as hell.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 24, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Bit of a derail, but... Lone Wolf and Cub is fantastic.

Panels and pages can be better with build up but still stand on their own.

These are three pages from the first DH volume (reversed for my western eyes) that I think stand pretty well on their own. It's even got a sweet action hero one-liner at the end.

They are still better if you've read the first part of the issue where he fights his way through the eight gates (women warriors) before this scene. They are yet better if you've read a ton of LW&C and understand the character better, and the themes and tone that Koike and Kojima use throughout the entire work. But I think they stand up against almost everything we see in the badass thread.

That said I don't really disagree with this. I have a lot of trouble with manga in general because it doesn't fit the storytelling structures I'm used to, even as somebody who reads a ton of bizarre indie stuff. I struggle with pages long fight scenes without dialogue. I think so many western comics have specifically riffed on LW&C that it's a much easier read for western audiences. We've come at this very specific type of story from the other direction, and we're already used to a lot of the conventions.

e: And to bring it back to touching / inspiring moments, I think this type of story makes touching moments a lot harder to pull out in single panels or pages than badass moments. It's a story about a samurai assassin who kills 1-100 people every issue. There are a ton of badass moments. The touching moments are kind of on the margins, and really do have more weight when you know the characters.

I was going to post some great Daigoru moments but then I realized they are way more badass than touching. That kid is hard as hell.

A lot of panels in this thread don’t really work unless you are familiar with the character which most of are gonna be.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Jedit posted:

WE3 is great. OK, it's essentially The Incredible Journey meets Short Circuit, but it has the best splash pages I've ever seen.

Yeah WE3 is fantastic (read: heartbreaking). So is Stargazing Dog.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

*whispering* I didn't care for We3

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

*whispering* I didn't care for We3

Cool. Meanwhile I'm looking at the panels Cuchulain posted and legit getting teary-eyed. We3 was fantastic.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhaka posted:

This is a good post and I need to read Lone Wolf and Cub now. Would you mind posting these pages? I'm really curious how the pacing of that sequence works.

Sure. For the sake of the argument, and for brevity, I've tried to reduce it to the fewest pages possible. Note that these are from the Dark Horse edition so they read left-to-right.

Now just for fun I guess, here are the three pages just prior to those, in which not a lot happens per se but which, I think, contribute to what makes the scene iconic-- it's kind of basic but I think a good translation into a static medium of the long walk-up you see in so many Westerns and chanbara flicks:

And the one page after it, the final page of the issue. The caption in the last panel is pure macho camp, way excessive, but I love it:

This is all from vol. 3 of the manga, The Flute of the Fallen Tiger, which is $6 on Comixology right now.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 24, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So someone's been posting basically the entirety of What If #44 - What If Captain America Was Revived Today? on twitter and pointing out its social relevance in these current times. That's as good an excuse as any to post the climax here. If you haven't read this comic, you really should go and do so, it's probably the best Captain America story ever written. It's available on Comixology, physically as part of the What If Classics collection TPB, and on Marvel's Digital Comics Shop. Don't confuse it with the 1994 comic of the same name! Anyway the context is: Cap's frozen body was never found, thus the Avengers didn't last. Then the paranoid xenophobic "commie-smasher" Cap and Bucky from the 50s were unfrozen by a so-called patriot, and while pretending to be the real deal, he was used as a prop by fascists to gain power and turn America into a racist fascist nightmare with walled ghettos, armed guards on every street corner, and racism codified into law.

Then the real deal gets unfrozen, sees what's happened, and joins with an underground resistance led by Nick Fury to take on the impostor.

Now here is the really important part. After the fight is over, Cap addresses the crowd.

Gavok's favorite line from this great comic is "Get up so I can knock you down!", which is pretty classic. But mine is "A nation is nothing! A flag is a piece of cloth!!". It's something we could do well to remember in these jingoistic times.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 24, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is it okay to ask for the twitter link or is that :filez:? I'm interested in reading that analysis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Is it okay to ask for the twitter link or is that :filez:? I'm interested in reading that analysis.

I'm gonna say it's :filez: unless someone tells me it isn't.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if its an analysis and not just a flat out pirate link to the book i dont see what the harm is

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

if its an analysis and not just a flat out pirate link to the book i dont see what the harm is

Its literally every single page in a twitter thread. One of them even still has the watermark for the piracy site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Servoret posted:

Cool. Meanwhile I'm looking at the panels Cuchulain posted and legit getting teary-eyed. We3 was fantastic.

Those are the pages that get me every. loving. Time.

"U. R. Bandit."