Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
i am the puppetmaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Im the muppetmaster

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Im the muppetpaster in the rear end

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Motherfucker posted:

i am the puppetmaster

no I'm the puppetmaster!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you play lol for 17 hours a day, aren't you supposed to be... not bronze?

your gf wastes her life on it and she isn't even loving good at it?

Yeah that's crazy. From what I remember bronze is like, the absolute lowest rank.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I know nothing of LoL, but it stretches my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point that a human with no physical or mental disability could practice a competitive activity for 17h a day, for weeks at a time, and not make any headway. I mean, at some point, you just have to get better than the people who don’t practice as much simply from being more familiar with the system.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the point of the fesh is that she is terrible at this bad game that she’s addicted to. I def spent two years playing LoL all the time, trying to convince my GF to blow me during matches and rushing to nuke a hot pocket in between rounds. Probably only went like $200-$300 on skins, then finally realized one day “I am not having fun anymore” and I bought a PS3 and walked away from MOBA for ever. Pretty much did the same thing with Overwatch.

Games can be extremely addictive and weeks or months go by and you forget why you are playing in the first place. It’s worse than gambling in many ways because you are losing money and time on something that will never ever pay dividends, even though there is a ton of money theoretically at the tippie top

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you play lol for 17 hours a day, aren't you supposed to be... not bronze?

your gf wastes her life on it and she isn't even loving good at it?

You'd be amazed how common this is. Most "gamers" aren't good at video games.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

To clarify on the DC Leaks thing (because the puppetmaster appears to have forgotten about it and sent in an email asking): we had someone sending in a bunch of confessions claiming to be a DC Insider with leaked tidbits about the government, and then eventually a puppetmaster confession was sent in that used the DC Leaker's passphrase instead of the established puppetmaster passphrase, which means that they were the same person and got the passphrases mixed up, and I told the thread because that's the point of the passphrase system

Anyway, content:

quote:

So the GBS thread on BPD really made me LOL.

I've dealt with these broken assholes before.

In the course of trying to figure out what was broken in a particuarly toxic person's, I came across the /r/bpd subreddit. And I was pretty pissed at what I saw.

It's page after page of these idiots adopting the language of inclusion. It's "stigmatizing" to say you shouldn't date someone with BPD. Their jobs should make "reasonable accommodation" like never criticizing or correcting them in view of others. When they do lash out, they should not be sent to prison because they have a *disease*. Honestly the only thing more disgusting I've seen is the weird pro-pedos that sometimes pop up to act like being a pedo is an orientation and worm there way into the LGBTQ movement.

Anyways, these people are pretty fun to gently caress with. I can usually go on /r/BPD and find a post in /r/relationships or /r/askreddit to troll fairly easily. Because they're so touchy and broke, what comes off as a minor disagreement sets them off. It's fairly easy to get them to flip out. I had one even come back to /r/bpd to say how devastated they are that /r/relationships "stigmatizes" BPD and banned instead of warning her (almost always a her) they had the gall to ban her for cursing and threatening me in all caps.

Sometimes I'll wind them up a bit over PM too. They're so easy to get a reaction out of. It's great fun!

I've got a few Reddit usernames I cycle through, and I also make non-lovely comments. After someone blows up they tend to get suspended or banned so they can't call me out - or if they do call me out, they catch a sitewide ban since ban evasion is pretty much the only thing Reddit admins will axe ALL your accounts for.

(Meanwhile, I register my accounts via Tor... so on the rare ocassion I get banned, I usually have 2-3 that I was using for vote manipulation ready to jump in.

I guess I should mention that's part of the troll - I'll set a timer, log into one account downvote. Then another, another, and another. On a low traffic thread you can take someone down to -5 in 20 minutes without setting off any alarms if you change Tor circuits and up/down other stuff too.

End result? BPD brokebrain posts bullshit, gets trolled, replies, gets downvoted to hell, flips out, gets banned, and then often gets suspended when I needle them more if they weren't suspended.

I think you might have some kind of disease too

quote:

I am the time traveller.

I realise now that you don't know who I am. I am from the future (not distant, literally 30 days. I sent a confession on 22 June 2018 detailing my crude time machine. You won't receive that confession until that date obviously but for me it was minutes ago. I stepped through the vortex and arrived in your present so my machine was a success.

The only problem is, I can't get back to my "real time". My invention happened completely by accident as I detailed in my previous confession. There was a set of circumstances that cannot be repeated until that particular date. I'm currently keeping my past self under surveillance and waiting for him to create the vortex. I'm going to jump him from behind and leap through in order to get home.

Oh, and Henry Kissinger dies in the next few weeks .

I'm gonna hold you to that. He better. :mad:

Anyway, your original time is literally next month, you could, just, y'know, wait a month

Or when your "past self" jumps through his vortex, you could just, y'know, walk into his house and resume your life where you left off instead of trying to hijack a vortex that will just send you to the friggin' past again

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

some people just have an addictive personality and will bash their heads against games they hate because they feel like they have no other option, until one day they have a "moment of clarity" and just stop playing. I used to be that way with CoD but then I grew up and realized there's a whole ecosystem of games out there, can't really justify playing one and hating it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you jump into the same vortex that sent you back, you'll create an incredibly hosed up recursion paradox and probably instantly delete yourself from time, forwards and backwards.

I'm not saying not to do It, just to be clear

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol at coming back in time with that weak rear end proof.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

punk rebel ecks posted:

You'd be amazed how common this is. Most "gamers" aren't good at video games.

Yeah, it turns out that plenty of people don't actually get better at stuff no matter how much time they put into it, despite the general theory that it takes like 10,000+ hours of practice or whatever for anyone to become an expert.
Most people don't improve no matter how much time they put into doing something.

See also:
-Their jobs
-Running their lives
-Financial competence
-Sex
-Cooking
-Internet posting

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
By the way I have just now read through this whole drat thread and now I am not sure what to do with my life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wonder if I've had 10000 hours worth of sex. We talking just intercourse or can we include foreplay?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've done a lot of sleeping in my life and I'm still pretty bad at it

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

loquacius posted:

I've done a lot of sleeping in my life and I'm still pretty bad at it

Same. Hell, the extra practice has gotten me worse at it instead of better. I could sleep like a boss years ago, now I suck at it.

Also count me as another person that read all the pages of this thing and now follows it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wonder if I've had 10000 hours worth of sex. We talking just intercourse or can we include foreplay?

If masturbation counts as sex, you're pretty much a god at it.

So am I.... :suicide:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Same. Hell, the extra practice has gotten me worse at it instead of better. I could sleep like a boss years ago, now I suck at it.

Also urination :corsair:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Neco posted:

By the way I have just now read through this whole drat thread and now I am not sure what to do with my life.

confess

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, time travel goon has a solid month to write an interesting fiction fesh now. We are all gonna be so let down when he blows.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, if Kissinger doesn't die, he'll send it a "Oh bloo, I messed with casualty, what will happen now"

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Time traveler goon: Don't knock your past self out and go through yourself. Throw past self through the portal and tell the goverment you made a time machine that can go back 30 days.

That way you become the protagonist of 7 Days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GlAN5Q7fdE

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Neco posted:

what was your favorite confession

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I can never bring myself to read even 5 missed pages of a thread, because I get the urge to post but I can't satisfy it - the conversation's moved on.

Except in specific cases where a thread circles around one topic for its entire lifetime

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Therapy goon saga.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Shiki Dan posted:

Yeah, it turns out that plenty of people don't actually get better at stuff no matter how much time they put into it, despite the general theory that it takes like 10,000+ hours of practice or whatever for anyone to become an expert.
Most people don't improve no matter how much time they put into doing something.
The operative word there is "practice". You don't become an expert by just doing something for 10,000 hours; you become an expert by intentional and focused practice.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Time travel goon, if Kissinger dies in the next month, I will not believe you. But I will love you forever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Truly a treasure. I wish he would finish it up, but they must not have internet in the tundra or wherever he was last time he checked in.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

some people just have an addictive personality and will bash their heads against games they hate because they feel like they have no other option, until one day they have a "moment of clarity" and just stop playing. I used to be that way with CoD but then I grew up and realized there's a whole ecosystem of games out there, can't really justify playing one and hating it.

I feel profoundly lucky and blessed that I have absolutely zero (negative even) interest in competitive or multiplayer games.

I can just go boot up whatever single player thing I want and chill out and there's no pressure or toxic people or microtransations, and I can pause it at any time and wander off and I come back hours later with everything just how I left it. It's real nice. :unsmith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I, a grown man in a professional career, have taken 4 days off work in October to play a cowboy video game in my late 30's.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I know nothing of LoL, but it stretches my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point that a human with no physical or mental disability could practice a competitive activity for 17h a day, for weeks at a time, and not make any headway. I mean, at some point, you just have to get better than the people who don’t practice as much simply from being more familiar with the system.

Bad players often get the wrong idea of what works and what doesn't and without a change in paradigm they'll just keep practicing the wrong thing they believe to be right. Past a certain threshold where the initial content is learned, someone doing that 17 hours a day is effectively getting better at being bad. You're just repeating the same stuff over and over and getting more muscle memory at doing the wrong things.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think bad players (like myself) don't view playing as "practicing" so they aren't really even trying to get better. They just play the way they know how to play. Like I played starcraft 2 for a long time almost every day in college and I could never break out of silver league. I hit my natural skill ceiling very quickly in games and just don't care enough to progress beyond that. I'm the same way in call of duty games, I hate sitting still so I tend to die very often by running out into the open while other people are sitting still. People I play with will ask me to stop doing that, but no, that's how I fight, and as a result I have around 20,000 more deaths than kills.

In the end, who cares. You don't have to be good at a game to enjoy it.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
On the other hand, pubbies getting absolutely furious because you aren't playing good and, emotionally, they can't handle not ultrawinning... that is its own reward.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

SciFiDownBeat posted:

No idea, there were so many that they kinda blur together. I preferred the simple ones where the life of someone has not been completely destoyed or whatever, but small insecurities or lapses. Therapy goon would fit the bill but it‘s time for this thread to get latched on to something new, hey? Haha never gonna happen I know.

Around page 200 I thought you guys get easily sidetracked by what seemed targeted feshes about temperature scales or whatever and then the puppet master feshes made that point completely unfunny and boring :-(

Oh and way to go locacious, you made fesh happen. :mmmhmm:

Neco fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 23, 2018

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Incoherence posted:

The operative word there is "practice". You don't become an expert by just doing something for 10,000 hours; you become an expert by intentional and focused practice.

And it doesn't even take 10,000 hours. I was trying to figure out how to suggest that it's about intentional practice... which is a skill many people haven't learned.

Maybe, the anonymous posters answer, is to work with the girlfriend on learning how to do intentional practice. Giving her tools to be better, maybe she'll play less. Or at least, play better.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Solice Kirsk posted:

I, a grown man in a professional career, have taken 4 days off work in October to play a cowboy video game in my late 30's.

if its red dead redemption 2 can I come over?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You may. Just bring a bottle of whiskey.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
seems fair gotta keep with the theme

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Neco posted:

Around page 200 I thought you guys get easily sidetracked by what seemed targeted feshes about temperature scales or whatever and then the puppet master feshes made that point completely unfunny and boring :-(

Oh and way to go locacious, you made fesh happen. :mmmhmm:

The Fahrenheit/Celsius thing only took off because I actively encouraged it. It is a perfect trolling topic for reasons I've gone into before and won't go into again because I'm not bored enough to restart it. :v:

And thanks, fesh is a pretty natural abbreviation though so I can't take TOO much credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

loquacius posted:

The Fahrenheit/Celsius thing only took off because I actively encouraged it. It is a perfect trolling topic for reasons I've gone into before and won't go into again because I'm not bored enough to restart it. :v:

And thanks, fesh is a pretty natural abbreviation though so I can't take TOO much credit

Food is always an easy derail. Mainly because American food is loving trash designed for the broken palates of their landwhale population who are conditioned to feed on a steady diet of high fructose corn syrup and diabetus medication.