Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bhodi posted:

Man, I did not get this AT ALL. I don't remember any ayn rand ideals and the books make it clear he's an absolute failure at anything except ruthlessly killing people and ultimately he comes to that realization near the end of the series. He realizes what a hosed up system the world is right from the start although after he lucked his way up into power and authority he did absolutely nothing to help others after he got there.

I do think all the fascist, caste poo poo in the world was due to an evil god influencing earth was pretty lazy writing but I guess it kinda worked with where the final book went.

you have that spoiler bit exactly backwards

Also the actual hero in Blade is Deliann and frankly it's so obvious I might complain about it if so freaking many people didn't miss the point and call the obviousness into question. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have a potentially weird request: I've been playing a bunch of Pyre lately, and I'm curious, are there any fantasy-ish novels out there similar to it? Not the magical purgatory football bit, more the setting and "style" I guess?

My understanding is that it has some DNA in common with Dying Earth stuff, but I'm not sure how much, and I haven't really read any Dying Earth stuff myself.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Bhodi posted:

Man, I did not get this AT ALL. I don't remember any ayn rand ideals and the books make it clear he's an absolute failure at anything except ruthlessly killing people and ultimately he comes to that realization near the end of the series. He realizes what a hosed up system the world is right from the start although after he lucked his way up into power and authority he did absolutely nothing to help others after he got there.

I do think all the fascist, caste poo poo in the world was due to an evil god influencing earth was pretty lazy writing but I guess it kinda worked with where the final book went.

Matthew Stover posted:

BLADE OF TYSHALLE is itself my Cainist Philosophy book. Unlike Ms Rand, Cainism is descriptive, not prescriptive. It's not about how people should live, it's about how they do live, whether they want to or not. Caine's just the most extreme case . . . if you see what I mean. 

And my philosophy isn't really my philosophy; it's (roughly speaking) a blend of Nietzschean perspectivism with classical Taoism, leavened with chaos theory. In other words (as some critics have pointed out), there's nothing particularly original about it. Which is okay with me, because I don't actually care about being original. I care about telling the truth as I see it, and about writing novels that people will want to read more than once . . . not necessarily in that order.

Thanks for your interest, and thanks for writing.

Matthew Woodring Stover

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
He also probably thought the main character was a hero. I had forgotten that whole cainist thing because it didn't even make sense in the world he himself wrote so it just sort of slid off my memory.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Bhodi posted:

He also probably thought the main character was a hero. I had forgotten that whole cainist thing because it didn't even make sense in the world he himself wrote so it just sort of slid off my memory.

Blade of Tyshalle is really cringey, and you made me go digging for a blog quote and it's all coming back now, heh.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

BananaNutkins posted:

Blade of Tyshalle is really cringey, and you made me go digging for a blog quote and it's all coming back now, heh.
But hey, cool fight scenes! It never really felt that preachy to me, mostly because that rambling philosophy was voiced through a clear and unrepentant rear end in a top hat whose only two positive personality traits were force of will and blind self-belief bordering on delusion.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Bhodi posted:

But hey, cool fight scenes! It never really felt that preachy to me, mostly because that rambling philosophy was voiced through a clear and unrepentant rear end in a top hat whose only two positive personality traits were force of will and blind self-belief bordering on delusion.

It was clear that Stover was passionate about the ideas and had a story to tell, which lent the whole thing a kind of manic energy throughout. It's more readable than the Terry Goodkind books with bad hero doing bad things which are actually really good because only a really good person can be bad rear end enough to do bad things for good. Its a mentality that is very persuasive to faux martial arts wannabe tough guys.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bhodi posted:

And through his self-appointed quasi-prophet who was actually a fairly decent person, all things considered, and fully aware that Caine himself was orthogonal to morality at best (from her perspective / at that time). As such, she quite clearly enunciated that Cainism was orthogonal to morality, and more resembling a self-help book.

I'm pleased this discussion has taken off and I see I'll have to make an effortpost about the first two books and who the actual heroes are. for a spoiler on the latter bit, you may wish to reference the title of book one

Yes, I know I already mentioned the Main One.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm pleased this discussion has taken off and I see I'll have to make an effortpost about the first two books and who the actual heroes are. for a spoiler on the latter bit, you may wish to reference the title of book one

Please do, I really enjoy Stover's books, I'm just not a Smart and have a hard time analyzing literature.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
His first two Star Wars novels were, as Star Wars novels go, genuinely interesting criticisms of the setting (which kind of presaged the milder self-critique in Last Jedi). The idea that war is a gigantic Jedi trap, since it forces them into situations where they're morally confused, spiritually blind, and unable to act without in some way compromising their ideals, was either cleverer than the prequels or at least better at voicing what the movies leave to subtext.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
The first time I read Heroes Die & Blade of Tyshalle, I got a vague sense of RW/Objectivist politics from it. After reading the last two then re-reading the first two again, it's more anti-authoritarian, anarco-all-over-the-place. The last book makes it clear that the two things that piss Caine off the most are a) authoritarianism, and b) those with power that either use it to hurt others/benefit themselves, or have power and refuse to help those in need.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

General Battuta posted:

His first two Star Wars novels were, as Star Wars novels go, genuinely interesting criticisms of the setting (which kind of presaged the milder self-critique in Last Jedi). The idea that war is a gigantic Jedi trap, since it forces them into situations where they're morally confused, spiritually blind, and unable to act without in some way compromising their ideals, was either cleverer than the prequels or at least better at voicing what the movies leave to subtext.

I was a bit biased when I read the EU books but I think his takes on the Force and something that should be explored. I think that's why I really liked The Last Jedi since.

It's been awhile since I read the Caine books but I don't remember too much of a Randian thing going on. I'll have to sit down and read them again one day.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I have a potentially weird request: I've been playing a bunch of Pyre lately, and I'm curious, are there any fantasy-ish novels out there similar to it? Not the magical purgatory football bit, more the setting and "style" I guess?

My understanding is that it has some DNA in common with Dying Earth stuff, but I'm not sure how much, and I haven't really read any Dying Earth stuff myself.

Pyre is its own beast but I'd put it with Planescape: Torment and Morrowind in the New Weird. You might want to try Perdido Street Station (what I'd personally recommend), The Scar, City of Saints and Madmen, or Viriconium (which bridges Dying Earth and New Weird).

I'll also throw in a recommendation for Lord of Light because while it's not related by genre it does deal with viewing people through the lens of mythology and ritual.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Audible is having a 2 for 1 sale, and there is some sf/fantasy there. Anyone heard of Jonathan Renshaw? He's got a book called Dawn of Wonder. Lot of good reviews, looks kinda generic (which I'm okay with if the writing doesn't suck).

Also, so many reviews say they've only read Sanderson and Rothfuss. I'm not sure why that aggravates me so much.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it one of those litRPG things?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dawn of Blunder.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Is it? Well, never mind!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

anilEhilated posted:

I didn't see a single spreadsheet when I was scrolling through the Amazon preview.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished the 29th annual Years Best Science Fiction Collection (2011) edited by Gardner Dozois, power-skimmed the scifi/fantasy anthology books I mentioned before AND also read a bunch of DragonLance books.

The 29th annual Science Fiction collection was slightly different than early Dozois edited collections. Normally Dozois only included stories that were 40 - 50 pages long*, seeing anything shorter was like physically seeing a northern white rhinoceros in the wild. For the 2011 collection, 3 - 12 page stories were mostly included, which made the book roughly 2/3 the size of earlier editions. Ken MacLeod, Karl Schroeder, Carolyn Ives Gilman, Jay Lake, Michael Swanwick, Dave Hutchinson, Tom Purdom, Ian R. MacLeod, Yoon Ha Lee, Peter M. Ball, and Kij Johnson all had good stories in that collection.

To my surprise, the DragonLance stories written by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman mostly stood up to my happy memories of first reading them. The DragonLance books suffering from dimishing returns with each new series, however the first 2 series were the strongest.
This time around I noticed the Homeric stock descriptions for each W & T written character, which helped the reader visualize them & give clues to their future reactions to story events. Just let me add/drop this observations: Gary Gygax (TSR President) was Takhisis, Dave Arneson was Fizban, and Ed Greenwood was the armies of evil re-making the Dragonlance world into TSR's default setting the Forgotten Realms.

*I've read around 20 of the Dozois edited collections, that story size limitation allowed for good stories to lose themselves, iffy stories to recover, and for bad authors, way way waaaay too much space.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 20, 2018

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Audible is having a 2 for 1 sale, and there is some sf/fantasy there. Anyone heard of Jonathan Renshaw? He's got a book called Dawn of Wonder. Lot of good reviews, looks kinda generic (which I'm okay with if the writing doesn't suck).

Also, so many reviews say they've only read Sanderson and Rothfuss. I'm not sure why that aggravates me so much.

I liked the story a lot and no it's not a litRPG.

As far as the comparison, it doesn't really feel like either of those authors very much so IDK why they would make it. Also, full disclosure I like Sanderson and don't like Rothfuss.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Microcline posted:

I'll also throw in a recommendation for Lord of Light because while it's not related by genre it does deal with viewing people through the lens of mythology and ritual.

You're definitely on the right track here. Zelazny's Jack of Shadows matches Pyre to a T because of the strange rituals and cultures that it shares with Lord of Light, the somewhat fallen setting, and the weird powers that everyone in the world seems to have.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

I liked it. It's got nothing to do with litRPG. It's a bog-standard farmboy get's his village murdered and goes to a school where he learns to be a badass. Nothing really special but for summer reading I think it fits the bill. Also has some Narnia type heavy Christian influence.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Microcline posted:

Pyre is its own beast but I'd put it with Planescape: Torment and Morrowind in the New Weird. You might want to try Perdido Street Station (what I'd personally recommend), The Scar, City of Saints and Madmen, or Viriconium (which bridges Dying Earth and New Weird).

I've read PSS and never would have thought of it but you're totally correct that it's on the same lines. Same with The Scar.

Haven't read City of Saints and Madmen or Viriconium, I'll definitely pick them up at some point, though for the latter I think I want to read some of the Jack Vance stuff first, since I've never read them.

pospysyl posted:

You're definitely on the right track here. Zelazny's Jack of Shadows matches Pyre to a T because of the strange rituals and cultures that it shares with Lord of Light, the somewhat fallen setting, and the weird powers that everyone in the world seems to have.

That's awesome to hear, I love Lord of Light (and Zelazny in general) but Jack of Shadows is a new one to me. Putting that near the top of the list.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I think I found my next best example of terrible writing from a book/author that is reasonably well reviewed, The Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence. Nothing all that wrong or bad about the story itself, the problem is that at least a quarter of the book is solely devoted to short story arcs that remind you the main character is a selfish womanizing bastard without any other real meaning or connection to the story (they're also not character building, it's litearlly the same circumstances copied over each time). It's almost like the author has no idea how to write a morally grey character and moves the story forward while making it seem like he's becoming "good" and then has to stop the story to write out a tale that reminds you he's not, then moves the story forward again, character does something contradictory to his nature, story has to stop and another vignette about how he's terrible, rinse and repeat.

I had similar problems with the main character in his previous series but at least there were story hooks for that character to make sense, it's just completely pointless in this book.

nessin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 22, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
king and emperor are better books, although if you couldn't find too much redeeming in the first book they're probably not worth your time. there's a more coherent structure and jorg is less irredeemably awful (still a oval office, though). king was the best, i think. i rolled my eyes a lot during prince as well since it felt like it was trying too hard.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Neurosis posted:

king and emperor are better books, although if you couldn't find too much redeeming in the first book they're probably not worth your time. there's a more coherent structure and jorg is less irredeemably awful (still a oval office, though). king was the best, i think. i rolled my eyes a lot during prince as well since it felt like it was trying too hard.

You're thinking of the Broken Empire series, his previous set. Prince of Fools is the start of his second series, the Red Queen's War.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

nessin posted:

You're thinking of the Broken Empire series, his previous set. Prince of Fools is the start of his second series, the Red Queen's War.

Oops you are correct my bad

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is there a thread for the Broken Earth Trilogy? Sorry, phone posting and can’t search.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

nessin posted:

For a while I figured he;d done a trilogy of Prince of Fools, King of Fools and Emperor of Fools.

Which would be an amazing show of self-awareness, if a bit lazy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there a thread for the Broken Earth Trilogy? Sorry, phone posting and can’t search.

You're posting in it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ToxicFrog posted:

You're posting in it.

Cool. Almost finished with book 1. Really enjoying.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

There's actually a forum for books written in second person, present tense:

FYAD

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished James Blish's 4 book series Cities in Space. From start to finish they were all terrible.
The first book was setup, introducing immortality drugs, antigravity technology, and FTL; all discovered + funded by a jesus like freshman US Senator from Alaska.
The rest of the Cities in Space books actually had cities in space, but the books were 95% focused on the spaceborne-travelling city of New York New York, and it's adventures throughout the cosmos, captained mayored by a Steve Jobs/Robert Heinlein hero leader. Space cops, wandering spaceborne cities doing the tasks of day labourers (only for planetary scale jobs), being busted by the space cops, and more hypocrisy than the UN filled out the Cities in Space books.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
New Jeff strand book out! I'm on mobile or I'd link it. Called Bring Her Back.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It's always a bad warning sign when a book starts with a pronunciation guide, especially if it's a science fiction or fantasy book.
Page four, the author has hammered home the main character is sixteen and knows sorcery AND is now in the process of learning witchcraft.

....gently caress this I'm out. 4 pages in and I am already feeling the main character is being funneled through a mary sue's worth of specialized training to justify how awesome(and unkillable) this main character is going to be. If anything, my recent James Blish's Cities in Spaces read-through confirmed that if a book starts off poo poo for you, it will probably stay poo poo as you continue to read the book.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

It's always a bad warning sign when a book starts with a pronunciation guide, especially if it's a science fiction or fantasy book.
Page four, the author has hammered home the main character is sixteen and knows sorcery AND is now in the process of learning witchcraft.

....gently caress this I'm out. 4 pages in and I am already feeling the main character is being funneled through a mary sue's worth of specialized training to justify how awesome(and unkillable) this main character is going to be. If anything, my recent James Blish's Cities in Spaces read-through confirmed that if a book starts off poo poo for you, it will probably stay poo poo as you continue to read the book.

What the gently caress are you reading?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
hey thread Jemisin won a prestigous sci fi award again please point me to the nearest meltdowns k thnx

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If it was 400 pages, I'd bet on Kingkiller.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hey thread Jemisin won a prestigous sci fi award again please point me to the nearest meltdowns k thnx

She deserves what ever awards she gets, far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

She deserves what ever awards she gets, far as I'm concerned.

Oh I know but didn't her winning last time start the whole sad puppies meltdown.

I want angry dweebs

Show me the angry dweebs