Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Jim Carrey paintings are all Trump jokes? That would be very succ. I don't go out of my way to see them, so I wouldn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i don't go out of my way to see them but they are what the kids call "viral"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

What is this "seth rich tier manufactured media narrative"?

it's when shitlibs believe Trump is a literal Russian stooge about as hard as conservatives believe Hillary Clinton murdered Seth Rich because they've all been poisoned by mainstream media

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Jim Carrey paintings are all Trump jokes? That would be very succ. I don't go out of my way to see them, so I wouldn't know.

they own actually

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's when shitlibs believe Trump is a literal Russian stooge about as hard as conservatives believe Hillary Clinton murdered Seth Rich because they've all been poisoned by mainstream media

just lol if you believe anything anymore

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/splinter_news/status/971213210811551744

today Delaware's single house rep, Lisa Blunt Rochester voted for this as well, meaning 100% of Delaware's representation voted to gut what little protection we had in place post 2008. Delaware voted Obama +25% in 2008, +20% in 2012, and +15% Clinton in 2016. this is, on paper, a very blue state, and our representatives are completely poo poo.

there's no credible primary challenge to Rochester this cycle, but we have a chance of removing Carper from office, and I'm pretty certain we'll try to primary Coons in 2020 too. gently caress these loving fucks.

gradenko_2000 posted:

he is but "russian" doesn't really mean he's a stooge of the russian people. he's an asset that belongs to various criminal organizations around the world, who are all unified in a goal of making money and loving over the poor.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's very likely other dems who voted against the repeal would have otherwise supported it but didn't because they were safe in knowing the repeal would succeed. primary them all

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

it's very likely other dems who voted against the repeal would have otherwise supported it but didn't because they were safe in knowing the repeal would succeed. primary them all

i'm for this.

primaries are tough work. realistically, we only need 26,000 votes to win a state wide primary in delaware, but actually getting to that point is grueling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

he is but "russian" doesn't really mean he's a stooge of the russian people. he's an asset that belongs to various criminal organizations around the world, who are all unified in a goal of making money and loving over the poor.

I don't really disagree but the problem is that Rachel Maddow and her ilk are only ever focused on the Russian part of "Russian oligarchs" instead of the oligarchs part

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't really disagree but the problem is that Rachel Maddow and her ilk are only ever focused on the Russian part of "Russian oligarchs" instead of the oligarchs part

that picture where rachel maddow noted that a bunch of russian bazillionaire plutocrats were attending the World Plutocrat Forum in davos

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm the sole Maddow defender in this forum, and I know I get poo poo for it, but I'm going to do it again.

Yeah, Rachel is bad at times, and she's always kind of obnoxious. However, she is no where near as lovely the vast majority of cable news; she actually takes the time out to explain issues; she does not solely focus on Russia; and frankly, the Russian story is a big deal because the president is a blatant criminal (and even ignoring the socioeconomic or voter disenfranchisement angles of that story, that means justice is kind of irreparably hosed if he faces no consequences). She is mostly good, and even when discussing Russia, I think she does a decent job of making it clear that they are oligarchs first, their nationality is superfluous.

Shear Modulus posted:

that picture where rachel maddow noted that a bunch of russian bazillionaire plutocrats were attending the World Plutocrat Forum in davos

I fully admit she can be lovely.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the maddow defender has logged on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H72xa8vArrI

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

just lol if you believe anything anymore

wouldn't believing in nothing make you a democrat

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the milk machine posted:

I'll toxx on this. I think you're 100% right, but the stakes are low and either cause is good (let's do pp tho)

e: pm me coward

i dont have pms but we can post in the sticked toxx thread

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

cable news has a very low bar for being good

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

jimmy dore has a bunch of videos on maddow being right wing on war and peace and smearing sanders aside from all the russian hysteria poo poo

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

jimmy dore has a bunch of videos on maddow being right wing on war and peace and smearing sanders aside from all the russian hysteria poo poo

i don't doubt it, but almost the entirety of american news media is right wing. she's merely among the better of the cable news personalities, and she makes a decently informative show.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can see where Nichael is coming from when they say that at least Maddow has a penchant for explaining things in a way that's easily digestible. I think that that makes her talents even more of a waste (compared to when she was using them to highlight opposition to the Obamacare repeal), but in any case it's why I threw in "and her ilk" in that it's an entire repertoire of center-right media that's being all this Russiagate poo poo.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'd been wondering about the idea that members of Congress are switching their votes once passage or failure of a bill is guaranteed, either because they want a certain result or they're afraid of the vote getting a much greater amount of publicity because of the margin, and this was the most concrete example of vote switching I found. Sometimes members of Congress switch votes because they made mistakes by not keeping up with what's being voted on during a long and quick chain of votes, though. I dug through C-SPAN's video associated with the example vote I linked, which occurs at 2:25:08, and it was a two minute vote via electronic device. If electronic devices are recording the votes, it should be even easier to record who changed their votes, as opposed to a clerk having a problem keeping up. In mid-2006, some Democrats proposed that after the first 30 minutes of a roll call vote exceeding 30 minutes, all vote activity should be publicly logged, and I don't know why they chose that arbitrary amount.

In any case, we should have a log of Congressional vote switching displayed at the bottom of the page for every single Congressional vote. The Congressional leadership could simply do a better job of whipping and arranging votes before they happen, but it would make their job of doing that harder.

Edit:

Congressional Research Service report from 2008, page CRS-14 posted:

As practiced today, a Member who desires to change his or her vote, after the initial 10 minutes of a 15-minute vote takes the appropriate well card to the “standing” tally clerk. The standing tally clerk then hands the well card to the “seated” tally clerk, who enters the vote change into the electronic voting system. Members who change their vote before the last five minutes are recorded by the electronic voting system as having changed their vote. Only Members who change their votes during the last 5 minutes are noted in the Congressional Record. During a five-minute or two-minute vote, Members may change their votes using the electronic voting stations throughout the duration of the vote.

If that rule is still in effect, it's a very obscure rule, it isn't marked in the Congressional database how long each vote lasted, and if I were a journalist interested in vote changes, it'd be a real pain to spend a while looking up information that might not even be there.

edit: "changed his vote" OR "changed her vote" or "changed their vote" is a good search query for finding votes where changes occurred in the Congressional record

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 10:52 on May 23, 2018

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

wouldn't believing in nothing make you a democrat

That's a slander. Democrats believe strongly in giving a lot of money to very rich first-world people and dropping a lot of bombs on very poor third-world people.

Nichael posted:

i don't doubt it, but almost the entirety of american news media is right wing. she's merely among the better of the cable news personalities, and she makes a decently informative show.

So what you're saying is that she's one of the good ones?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
democrats believe strongly that they are the only ones who should be in power.

they believe nothing else.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can see where Nichael is coming from when they say that at least Maddow has a penchant for explaining things in a way that's easily digestible. I think that that makes her talents even more of a waste (compared to when she was using them to highlight opposition to the Obamacare repeal), but in any case it's why I threw in "and her ilk" in that it's an entire repertoire of center-right media that's being all this Russiagate poo poo.

yeah, she had some pretty good stuff on Flint. i wonder how badly her audience will drop off after Trump is gone

edit: speaking of msnbc hosts, corey robin was good on chris hayes's new podcast

Cornflakes has issued a correction as of 10:30 on May 23, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/999258232110579714?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

the Dems are once again outflanked by Donald J Trump

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Its funny how it is likey a few Bernie people will get in even while the dems gently caress this up. Like really we need them to gently caress this up as that will mean even shitheads who call themselves “moderate” in the house will likley move for a leadership shakeup.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

Its funny how it is likey a few Bernie people will get in even while the dems gently caress this up. Like really we need them to gently caress this up as that will mean even shitheads who call themselves “moderate” in the house will likley move for a leadership shakeup.

:agreed:

Doing anything to help those candidates win in 2018, no matter how lovely and dangerous their opponent maybe, is only going to hurt us in the long term.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

quote:

Nina Turner is keeping her personal consultant on the Our Revolution payroll despite complaints from current and former board members and staff that the woman has made anti-immigrant comments that compromise the Bernie Sanders-inspired political group’s values.

In a statement out Tuesday, Turner, the group’s president, noted that the comments by Tezlyn Figaro are not held by Turner, or by Our Revolution. On Fox News last year, Figaro cited President Donald Trump‘s “leadership” on the travel ban and said, “We are sick and tired of immigrants coming into the country and getting benefits that Americans do not get … what I’m seeing is not paying taxes, what I’m seeing is getting a lot of freebies that Americans do not get.”

Those comments and others — a month after Trump’s election in 2016 she tweeted “Please! #buildthewall” —have upset many in the organization. The Our Revolution board stopped Turner from installing Figora as the group’s chief of staff earlier this month, in a dispute that came to light as part of a POLITICO story published Monday.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

:fuckoff:

MizPiz posted:

:agreed:

Doing anything to help those candidates win in 2018, no matter how lovely and dangerous their opponent maybe, is only going to hurt us in the long term.
Either the party is ours, or let it die. Neoliberalism is a cancer that must be purged from it and every neolib like cc beeds to be inimidated bullied and harrased into silence in real life.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Crowsbeak posted:

:fuckoff:

Either the party is ours, or let it die. Neoliberalism is a cancer that must be purged from it and every neolib like cc beeds to be inimidated bullied and harrased into silence in real life.

oh no please don't!!!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Haven't been following this race, I'll find out if she was the good Dem with Wikipedia

poo poo

We've been over this, they were both Bad Dems but Abrams was a better campaigner

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Money is a disease and getting paid $30,000 a day to sling your opinions across the airwaves can't be healthy for anybody.

Plus you have to sell your soul to comcast or whoever and tow the company line for the privilege.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
2018 is really the last chance for the democrats to show they can do the bare minimum of an opposition party. They have several advantages (even though the economy hasn't technically cratered yet, just for the bottom half of Americans) and if they can't win control of at least 1 chamber, well then frankly we deserve the GOP.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/999259934985474048

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

nobody votes in tx democrat primaries so we got a scrub lady instead of a silver spoon guy who insisted he was already governor

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

More female prison guards

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

More female prison guards

Departwoment of Herland Shecurity

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

succ

https://twitter.com/maxbergmann/status/999105397737877510

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
ICE queen

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

So how did the Zuckening go yesterday? I assume if he crashed mid-inquiry I would have heard by now

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/lukekvas/status/999266248742588418

hm yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Alex_Roarty/status/999270807430946821

• Locked thread