Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

a big red phone that lights up when brevik does a justice league tie in event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Plus somewhere to house the big Frankenstein lab switch that controls when the events roll over to the next one.

I volunteer to be the switch flipper.

For an additional fee I will be in charge of removing Mole Man from the game but not removing quests involving him.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

We actually just need the oforums database, then we need to make markov chain bots for everyone that has like over 200 posts including devs and add in triggers for them to start posting, modifying images, etc. Like we need a dink bot that would just pull marvel related gis images randomly and post them, then there would be another bot that would come in and put in random circles around what it can identify as human anatomy, then another bot to turn it into a barbie or ken doll(maybe the same bot). Then there would also be bots running around just spamming the random comment ratings like disagree, or fun, then other bots that would react to those.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Anyone know the status of gaz liquidation proceedings? I would make an offer to buy that database from the trustee/receiver. Need to get SV on this asap.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm only about 75% sure I remember what a receivership is, so we're off to a bad start

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm only about 75% sure I remember what a receivership is, so we're off to a bad start

Wait, I remember this scam. Are we supposed to offer you $5 to refresh your memory? The original Kickstarter.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Psylocke vagine bad

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Pretend I just posted a huge effort post about adding Will o the Wisp to the game well after the writing on the wall was in 15 foot letters that game development has been abandoned

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

They never added wasp as a playable, and that's all that matters.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yea the obsession over her was something else

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

90% of oforum wasp fans got a boner when blob ate her

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
It's a slap in the face of Wasp tbh

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rufio posted:

It's a slap in the face of Wasp tbh

At least she's used to that by now.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

kamala khan will NEVER apologize to israel

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Do you think they would have added Wasp with the new movie, or would they just give a new Ant Man costume?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I really wish I could have seen whatever poo poo show the new Thor would have been

Edit: has asros found a job yet??

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

PureRok posted:

Do you think they would have added Wasp with the new movie, or would they just give a new Ant Man costume?

neither

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mods change my name posted:

Edit: has asros found a job yet??

He's playing Marvel Strike Force with TonyBing. He's also moving to Orlando, Florida, to work for EA Sports. Lucky me.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

He's playing Marvel Strike Force with TonyBing. He's also moving to Orlando, Florida, to work for EA Sports. Lucky me.

at least not a big loss if he manages to run EA Sports into the ground

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
loving Tony bing. I was extremely late to MH, was he always a weirdo sycophant? I never watched his poo poo, because it's not like poo poo was exactly complicated post bua

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I just want to salute you all for keeping the memory of this big dead game alive by continuing to post in this thread.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The real marvel heroes were all the weirdos to scoff at along the way

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The modern name walnut comes from the German ‘wallnuss’, meaning foreign nut.

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

lol they sent an image of their old biggest failure to their new biggest failure

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

godface zillah posted:

lol they sent an image of their old biggest failure to their new biggest failure

I would weep tears of joy if Battlefront 2 were actually EA's biggest failure. I doubt it would make the top 10.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait for asros to be a dumb fat condescending rear end in a top hat to customers for a slightly more image driven and professional company like EA lmao

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kainser posted:

Remember that Marvel forbid Gaz from making dances for the heroes since it was too silly.

I bet that was a lie told by lazy animators who didn't want to design them.

Zaodai posted:

I would weep tears of joy if Battlefront 2 were actually EA's biggest failure. I doubt it would make the top 10.

EA hasn't shut the studio down yet, so it's not their biggest.

I'm sure their upcoming Destiny clone will be a bigger failure and the final nail in Bioware's coffin.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

super sweet best pal posted:

I bet that was a lie told by lazy animators who didn't want to design them.

EA hasn't shut the studio down yet, so it's not their biggest.

I'm sure their upcoming Destiny clone will be a bigger failure and the final nail in Bioware's coffin.

They're already dead, if Anthem takes off they won't make anything but Anthem dlc and sequels, if it doesn't the studio shutters as is the EA way. The only thing that changes is whether the corpse is given marching orders or left to rot.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
What's this about having to make stats be always-on procs? That sounds so goofy I need a full explanation.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Basically they started introducing a whole bunch of items that were "on hit gain +1 Strength for 10 seconds", and when pushed for why everything was on-hit the first excuse was that it was 'cheaper' in the item budget, but a year or so later one of the developers let it slip that it was for server performance.

So basically the way it seems they initially made the game was the server was constantly checking in to see what you were wearing, what the stats were, and so on. When the game grew to the point where they were inventing new stats and providing more stats to keep players engaged and on the loot treadmill, the servers started having hiccups as they waited for large item packets of what stats everyone on the server had, so to limit that traffic they made the additional stats a server-side process by piggybacking them onto a proc: adding the additional stats on the server so that they didn't need to be included in the item packets.

I mean, that's as much as can be deduced. It's still entirely possible there really was a hidden item budget for the game that was revised on a monthly basis because the design team was really just that batshit and somehow having everything on a 10 second proc circumvented this batshittery. It was the case with WoW item budget that definitely did exist that things on a proc were cheaper, but that's mostly because they had a reduced up-time, whereas it's entirely within keeping for Marvel Heroes to ape that without realising the reason was the reduced up-time, as most of their stuff was up 100% once you were in combat.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

I made that GIF three years ago and it's still relevant. :allears:

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
There was 100% an item budget.

The first problem was Amthua never wrote it down. It would be all in his head and he would look at item after it was done and say "yeah this is fine." Then, after he was gone there was nothing. So they had to manufacture one, mainly with Psilocke's help, because he worked with Amthua.

Then it turns out those items are boring as poo poo after a while. Tried to make them fill niches to be very strong for a certain archtype, but not make a GoK 2.0.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Should've released gokcoin to monetize the item budget

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FranktheBank posted:

The first problem was Amthua never wrote it down. It would be all in his head and he would look at item after it was done and say "yeah this is fine."
That's literally the opposite of an item budget.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

they thought there was an item budget but there wasnt

the irony being if they freed themselves from the illusion of an item budget, they might have made interesting loot

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

FranktheBank posted:

The first problem was Amthua never wrote it down. It would be all in his head and he would look at item after it was done and say "yeah this is fine." Then, after he was gone there was nothing. So they had to manufacture one, mainly with Psilocke's help, because he worked with Amthua.

Then it turns out those items are boring as poo poo after a while. Tried to make them fill niches to be very strong for a certain archtype, but not make a GoK 2.0.

Please don't blame amthua for your fat idiot friend being too dumb to understand math or create balanced items

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Basically they started introducing a whole bunch of items that were "on hit gain +1 Strength for 10 seconds", and when pushed for why everything was on-hit the first excuse was that it was 'cheaper' in the item budget, but a year or so later one of the developers let it slip that it was for server performance.

So basically the way it seems they initially made the game was the server was constantly checking in to see what you were wearing, what the stats were, and so on. When the game grew to the point where they were inventing new stats and providing more stats to keep players engaged and on the loot treadmill, the servers started having hiccups as they waited for large item packets of what stats everyone on the server had, so to limit that traffic they made the additional stats a server-side process by piggybacking them onto a proc: adding the additional stats on the server so that they didn't need to be included in the item packets.

I mean, that's as much as can be deduced. It's still entirely possible there really was a hidden item budget for the game that was revised on a monthly basis because the design team was really just that batshit and somehow having everything on a 10 second proc circumvented this batshittery. It was the case with WoW item budget that definitely did exist that things on a proc were cheaper, but that's mostly because they had a reduced up-time, whereas it's entirely within keeping for Marvel Heroes to ape that without realising the reason was the reduced up-time, as most of their stuff was up 100% once you were in combat.

This is quality coding and dev work.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Ghostlight posted:

That's literally the opposite of an item budget.

But then there was.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Please don't blame amthua for your fat idiot friend being too dumb to understand math or create balanced items

The blame would be more on Brevik for firing him without getting the budget written down first, right?

The only thing I tried for a while to push for is trade off items. -1 int +1 str (and more). But it was pretty much out of the question.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I mean, I concede.

A mathematically codified association and strata of player benefits to internally assigned power levels of droppable loot existing solely in a single developer's head is absolutely a thing that would be standard practice in Gaz rather than a convenient excuse for items having wildly fluctuating levels of usability. I don't know why I even questioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, I concede.

A mathematically codified association and strata of player benefits to internally assigned power levels of droppable loot existing solely in a single developer's head is absolutely a thing that would be standard practice in Gaz rather than a convenient excuse for items having wildly fluctuating levels of usability. I don't know why I even questioned it.

You're a mathematically codified association and strata of player benefits.