Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Pretty sure I had Bellog’s Korn Flikes as a poor kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

Pretty sure I had Bellog’s Korn Flikes as a poor kid.
It came in a bag and not in a box and there were never any cartoon characters or prizes :argh:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Aunt Beth posted:

It came in a bag and not in a box and there were never any cartoon characters or prizes :argh:

And it got soggy way way too fast.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zil posted:

And it got soggy way way too fast.

That would be the pre-soak at the factory.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

:gonk:

(Side note: Discount store-brand cornflakes were and are superior to Kellogs. Larger flakes that stays solid for longer, and at less than half the price.)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

spankmeister posted:

rest in piss, breakfast

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spankmeister posted:

:golfclap:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

I didn't ask for that, and I'm not paying for it!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

I didn't ask for that, and I'm not paying for it!

But it adds a different, unique flavor to each box!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hurr durr I'm a dev at [company] , let me just make something that things require to be running in order to function and make it be a manual startup application on the loving desktop

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Here's a real good star citizen post that you'll appreciate.

boviscopophobic posted:

Did you read the response to this one? The bug is marked as invalid because:

quote:

Harkonian posted:
Unless you can repro this it's just a random thing that happened.

:smuggo:

CAN'T REPLICATE BUG IT DOESN'T EXIST

-every dev ever who isn't me

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Renegret posted:

CAN'T REPLICATE BUG IT DOESN'T EXIST

-every dev ever who isn't me

drat right it doesn't. :colbert:

I know this thread likes to dump on developers a lot and so this statement might not be appreciated, but I'mma say it anyway. When I say "I can't repro the bug," what I usually mean is that I took all the info I was given by the person who reported the bug, gave it the ol' college try, and did not observe the bug. 70% of the time, what that means is that something in the chain has been misconfigured. 25% of the time the behavior they describe isn't the behavior they actually observed (either because they can't/won't word things in a way that makes any kind of sense, or there has been too much Telephone between me and the person who first observed the bug). 5% of the time it's an actual bug and it's some really weird edge case that the lab environments don't hit

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Che Delilas posted:

I know this thread likes to dump on developers a lot and so this statement might not be appreciated, but I'mma say it anyway. When I say "I can't repro the bug," what I usually mean is that I took all the info I was given by the person who reported the bug, gave it the ol' college try, and did not observe the bug. 70% of the time, what that means is that something in the chain has been misconfigured. 25% of the time the behavior they describe isn't the behavior they actually observed (either because they can't/won't word things in a way that makes any kind of sense, or there has been too much Telephone between me and the person who first observed the bug). 5% of the time it's an actual bug and it's some really weird edge case that the lab environments don't hit

Yea I'm not making a specific jab at anyone in this thread, it's just that the phrase "just a random thing that happened" is the funniest explanation I've ever seen. Plus, you know, Star Citizen.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
For a normal program written by sane people I would assume "it's a random thing that happened" means "you're not giving us enough details to trace back exactly what happened to you, so we can't find your problem".

For Start Citizen, I assume it means it was
a) actually random, generated by arrant code execution from god-knows-where,
b) buried so deep it was easier for the dev to brush it off than spend countless hours digging through mile-high piles of bullshit to figure out exactly what was going wrong
c) both

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Implying star citizen has a code base to dig through is the real hot take

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

Implying star citizen has a code base to dig through is the real hot take

Yeah, anyone that says they play Star Citizen is just participating in the conspiracy that Star Citizen is an actual game that exists and not a giant scam.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

The Fool posted:

Yeah, anyone that says they play Star Citizen is just participating in the conspiracy that Star Citizen is an actual game that exists and not a giant scam.

I sent them money back when they first started fundraising. It's been so long that I stopped paying any attention at all to what's going on there. Did they actually release something?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

PremiumSupport posted:

I sent them money back when they first started fundraising. It's been so long that I stopped paying any attention at all to what's going on there. Did they actually release something?

just a few "working" demos that I believe they call "beta" builds even though they're super lovely POC alphas for technology that already exists. Still nothing for the development of the mysterious technology that allows them to meet their design goals.

Pretty sure they're just sitting in a hold pattern until somebody else invents the tech they want, then they'll piggyback their crappy game on top of it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

The Fool posted:

When I talk to someone who says they play Star Citizen, I just give them a mournful look and tell them " No my friend, Star Citizen played you.."

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

For those not following SC, the bugs we see are all quite clearly stuff that already is a problem in cryengine, but amplified by handicapped developers making it do more than it can, precision errors because of fundamental design problems, or completely random happenstances cause by a kludge interacting with a different kludge in an unexpected way. Code snippets shown in their innumerable marketing videos show lines that clearly exist to make some unwanted behaviour that in a very specific and unmanageable way.

So yeah, in Star Citizen, sometimes it's just a random thing that happens.

It is a fascinating project to follow if you aren't too close to a computer job and have someone to sort through the bullshit, but if you are in a project that is off the rails due to bad management, or poor vision from the outset, or mounting technical debt, stay away because who wants to watch poo poo that reminds you of work?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

but if you are in a project that is off the rails due to bad management, or poor vision from the outset, or mounting technical debt, stay away because who wants to watch poo poo that reminds you of work?

That was my feeling just reading these posts.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Earlier today the events committee was using the board room to make tutus for a charity event that's coming up and they asked if they could listen to Pandora. So obviously I dropped everything and hooked them up to the room audio.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Che Delilas posted:

As an ex-tester sometimes it'd be real good if dev's would just ask me if they can't repro it.

I put together an in house testing team, I wasn't good at testing (it was my first paid job, i volunteered to head up the new team, didn't ask for more pay). In fact I could only manual test and was just starting to try and automate it!

I still think my crowning moment of glory was convincing the bosses that the testers we had should sit near the dev's, so if a dev couldn't repro, they could ping us an email asking us to repro it on screen and let them know when to walk over. It was loving magical. The number of "couldn't repro" comments dropped by a full 90%.

Then I left, the new guy listened to one bellend dev who didn't like working near testers and now they don't talk, leading to situations where "couldn't repro" is all the response you'll get.

Please talk to your testers :( We just wanna help

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kickstarter is just monetized scope creep.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
From a few pages back, but I kind of wonder if/when ISP support scripts are going to catch up with the increasing reality that people can reasonably not own any devices with a wired network port on them.

Like I get that they want to rule out the router if there's a connection issue, but how many people these days have phone + tablet + random netbook? Hell, I have WAY more devices than the general average and my only wired networking port is in a desktop PC, which due to the retarded location of the one cable coming into this place, is on the other end of the apartment. This is no longer a weird power user scenario to be in. Wireless is the standard now.

E: to be clear I mean residential customers here, large business customers should have this covered.

Javid fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 23, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm still using my old workhorse of a WRT45G, but do modern routers let you access the dashboard from a wireless connection? That seems like a fairly large security hole.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Javid posted:

From a few pages back, but I kind of wonder if/when ISP support scripts are going to catch up with the increasing reality that people can reasonably not own any devices with a wired network port on them.

Like I get that they want to rule out the router if there's a connection issue, but how many people these days have phone + tablet + random netbook? Hell, I have WAY more devices than the general average and my only wired networking port is in a desktop PC, which due to the retarded location of the one cable coming into this place, is on the other end of the apartment. This is no longer a weird power user scenario to be in. Wireless is the standard now.

E: to be clear I mean residential customers here, large business customers should have this covered.

Now you mention it, I have 30m of Cat5 for that very reason and it is so stupid.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Kurieg posted:

I'm still using my old workhorse of a WRT45G, but do modern routers let you access the dashboard from a wireless connection? That seems like a fairly large security hole.

Mine lets you access it from the lan, I think you'd have to specifically set up wan access which I haven't bothered with because effort.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kurieg posted:

They pretty much all do, but they also usually come with WPA2 applied to the wifi out of the box now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Uh, yeah. Since 2005.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also didn't the WRT let you do that too?

Also also jesus how the gently caress are you still using a WRT?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So the Spectre fix gives us a 25% hit in single-thread performance on the application that requires as much single-thread performance as possible.

So that's awesome.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah. Well, the WRT54G did (which is what I assume they meant to say) when I worked for an ISP back then.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My parents were using a wrt54gl with a custom firmware for years, I could ssh in through it to fix issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

It’s like spotting someone using a Model T as their daily driver. Not because it’s a vintage car or anything, but because why would they need to drive anything more modern.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I almost considered one because I wanted to play with the various aftermarket firmwares available for them, but I wanted N/AC speeds and 5ghz more.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Javid posted:

I almost considered one because I wanted to play with the various aftermarket firmwares available for them, but I wanted N/AC speeds and 5ghz more.

Yeah, my shock is more at living with G and 10/100 speeds in this age of STREAM EVERYTHING rather than shock that it's still running. Those things were tanks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Inspector_666 posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s like spotting someone using a Model T as their daily driver. Not because it’s a vintage car or anything, but because why would they need to drive anything more modern.
I bought it when I bought my apartment, and it's more "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but yeah.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, my shock is more at living with G and 10/100 speeds in this age of STREAM EVERYTHING rather than shock that it's still running. Those things were tanks.

They were my ISP's recommended router before it became common to have custom branded ones.

The original grey ones were indeed tanks, unfortunately when they redesigned them into the cheaper, smaller white ones they were more prone to failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I bought it when I bought my apartment, and it's more "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but yeah.

I’m sure it works fine with your DSL.