Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Theophany posted:

Food is always an easy derail. Mainly because American food is loving trash designed for the broken palates of their landwhale population who are conditioned to feed on a steady diet of high fructose corn syrup and diabetus medication.

Maybe to someone who's only eaten it at tourist-trap or fast-food shitholes like --- ohhhh :buddy:

Personally I'm partial to the beer derail, which is where you point out the indisputable fact that American beer is now the best in the world and anyone who thinks otherwise is stuck in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sour beers are a scourge that must be stamped out.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sour beers are a scourge that must be stamped out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I missed the "fesh" thing?

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Puppetmaster :argh:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Theophany posted:

Food is always an easy derail. Mainly because American food is loving trash designed for the broken palates of their landwhale population who are conditioned to feed on a steady diet of high fructose corn syrup and diabetus medication.
Why would an obvious truth cause a derail?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Splicer posted:

Why would an obvious truth cause a derail?

some muricans don't like or eat that poo poo, or conversely, :patriot: gently caress you stupid foreigner you just cant appreciate freedom

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Nerobro posted:

And it doesn't even take 10,000 hours. I was trying to figure out how to suggest that it's about intentional practice... which is a skill many people haven't learned.

Maybe, the anonymous posters answer, is to work with the girlfriend on learning how to do intentional practice. Giving her tools to be better, maybe she'll play less. Or at least, play better.

A study (on orchestral musicians iirc?) once found that experts have all practiced a massive amount (the famous 10000 hours), none of them were just born that way. Of course in the spirit of post hoc ergo propter hoc there's now a folk belief that anyone can become a master if they spend enough time, a position not in the slightest supported by the original results.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

America invented freedom and fried food so the rest of the world should be thanking us! :patriot:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
k anders ericsson was the guy who did that poo poo, or at least the pi who did that poo poo. common collabs w/ herb simon and allan newell of beep boop fame

ericsson also identified that expert violinists had two teachers who they remembered: an early one who actually gave them the love for playin violin and a hardass one who taught them how to actually play violin well

the top violinists practice a surprisingly small amount (up to 4 hrs/day) and then gently caress off for the rest of the day. can only do so much mental work

the john carmack-types who claim to work 15 hours a day still can identify a region in their time which is their actual practice and then the rest of the time they futz around with music-related stuff

this also holds for top athletes

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Theophany posted:

Bad choice for a derail because nobody will argue with this truth.
Why the gently caress is there sugar in my turkey lunchmeat?? loving corn syrup...

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

in the spirit of post hoc ergo propter hoc there's now a folk belief that anyone can become a master if they spend enough time, a position not in the slightest supported by the original results.

I have also heard worded differently to dismiss the notion of talent.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

loquacius posted:

The Fahrenheit/Celsius thing only took off because I actively encouraged it.

drat dude, that's pretty cool

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
That book chapter gave me the horn

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

drat dude, that's pretty cool

NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY CAUSED THE GALAXYS MOST POINTLESS DERAIL. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERY DAY TO PEOPLE IN MY GBS THREAD

quote:

I am addicted to buying Lego and it just ruined my life.

I have been buying since I was a kid and, until now, its always been something I could keep under control. A few sets a year, splurging for loose pieces at conventions, stuff like that. But in the last 5 years or so it’s gotten worse. Unfortunately that also coincided with meeting the love of my life and getting engaged.

My fiancé (ex now I guess) realized I had a problem and made me keep a tally of how much I spent on Lego a month. At my worst I was dropping 4-500 a week on Lego. I had a massive backlog of sets to build, filling up my parent’s entire spare bedroom since my one room apartment was already filled with completed sets.

We cut it down to 100 a month, at least that’s what I told her. In reality I purchased a storage locker for cheap and kept buying Lego. I’d either go build them and store the finished pieces in the locker, or just leave the unopened boxes in there. We hadn’t combined finances yet so she had no idea.

I proposed to her after 4 years of dating, and her one rule was I keep my Lego addiction under control. I lied through my teeth and said I would. I also got her a cheaper ring (about 300 dollars) and instead spent double that on Lego in the same trip. She wasn’t my priority, sadly.

We started wedding planning and this is where things fell apart. I was in charge of certain things, and one item was building the centerpieces. My fiancé designed a pretty cool thing - some fake water lillies in a bowl of colored water with an LED light in it. We needed to make 17 of them, she had the exact pieces picked from the craft store along with the total cost - 126 dollars to make every single one. She gave me that money to pick up the raw materials.

I never did it, I just went to Toys R Us and threw that money towards Lego Star Wars sets that were new. I kept lying and putting it off, then she got pissed at me because the store discontinued the LED lights, so we had to buy a different type.

I finally got off my rear end and bought the stuff, but couldn’t justify making them until I finished some of my Lego backlog. Our wedding date was supposed to be this June. and I hadn’t even bought the materials until February.

My fiancé was justifiably mad and told me I needed to help out more, specifically by booking the hotel block, meeting the DJ and giving him his down payment, and printing up our table placecards.

I didn’t do any of this because Lego released set 75192 - the 800 dollar Millenium falcon. I bought it with the DJ money and spent 3 days building it.

My fiancé found out and threatened to cancel the wedding unless I “came clean” about everything. So I did.

I showed her the storage locker (full) and my bank account (empty). I figured I spent around 35,000 on Lego in the 2 years we were supposed to be saving for the wedding, honeymoon, and house.

She gave me back my ring that night and said she couldn’t trust me enough to marry me. I don’t blame her, not really. Her family hates me and now so does mine. A lot of people already have emailed me saying I wasted her life and their time. My parents threw all my Lego out of the house into the yard, so I spent a night having to drive over there and save them. Right now I’m still in my apartment, I just set up some Lego stacks to work through.

My ex has blocked me and hasn’t reached out to me. Her family refuses to get me in contact with her. I barely feel motivated to build my Lego backlog now.

Please don’t end up like me. I read the Lego thread in DIY a lot now and see so much of myself in those people.

I will not sell the Lego though, so please do not ask. They still mean a lot to me.

I don't think you can even get much money for open, completed Lego sets, right?

I dunno, could you sell them to local businesses for display or something? You said not to ask, I know, I'm just wondering what one could do if one does not have money but does have tons of Legos and I'm not really thinking of much.

Anyway, this is an addiction, effectively worse than if you spent all that money on cocaine because cocaine doesn't clutter up your parents' house. You've hit a Rock Bottom and you're apparently resisting your moment of clarity, so, good luck figuring that out I guess

quote:

To preface this, I have a history of being treated for mental illness. I have come to realize though that they were treating symptoms of mental illness in humans, but for me they were just side effects of what God has done to me. All my life I knew something about me was different and that I had memories I couldn't access. As I got older, I tried harder and harder to access these despite the "professionals" telling me it's unhealthy or they aren't real. After years of meditations and piecing together various flashes that came to me, I now know what I really am: a former angel that God threw out of Heaven because I questioned Him. They mistook my real memories for delusion or hallucinations.

And here is what I remembered. Most people think the God they read about in the Old Testament stopped being like that and became more subdued and loving after sending Jesus to die for your sins, but it was only temporary. He has already started His biggest punishment for humanity ever, and this time there is not going to be an Ark, there will just be no humanity after. He gave you a chance, but those who call themselves Christians are liars and hypocrites, and the ever-increasing number of non-believers are doing everything they can to turn the world in to one that mocks and hates God.

I tried to point out to Him that there are still good Christians down here, and for that he stripped me of my status and hurled me down to Earth to die with you all as a human. I don't know when it's going to happen or how, but it's coming very soon and there's nothing you can do about it except start begging for His mercy...but don't get your hopes up.

so did you stop taking your meds or something

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also, someone sent in a fesh claiming to be Therapy Goon, but neglected to include his passphrase, so I'm not posting it. Therapy Goon, if that was in fact you, please resend with passphrase included.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lego dude have you considered building a lego time machine, going back in time and giving your parents some birth control so that your stupid lego problems actually amount to some good in the long run?

other dude take your pills weirdo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

loquacius posted:

Yeah I think they at least need the original box for people to even want to buy them. My parents tried to sell our 5 giant tubs of legos (like those big plastic rectangle containers like Jesse was looking at for dissolving the bodies in in the first season of breaking bad) and nobody wanted to pay a non-joke amount of money for them. They all just ended up getting donated.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The love of your life is Lego. Stop pretending and accept it. Then build a new wife, better and pointier than the last one. Also, stop paying for Lego storage. Build a Lego house and store your Lego in that.

God it's like you're not even trying.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Splicer posted:

The love of your life is Lego. Stop pretending and accept it. Then build a new wife, better and pointier than the last one. Also, stop paying for Lego storage. Build a Lego house and store your Lego in that.

Build an attractive Lego casing around three fleshlights, build a Lego apartment out in the woods, and live rent-free until you get back on your feet

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Jesus, legoman, just buy minecraft like a normal nerd.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How is he supposed to have rigid, pinchy sex with a Minecraft wife?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I don't remember my passphrase

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
gently caress....

uh, uh, BBQ is the apex of human accomplishment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if therapy goon is the roofless alchemist I will legitimately giggle like a schoolgirl.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah I think they at least need the original box for people to even want to buy them. My parents tried to sell our 5 giant tubs of legos (like those big plastic rectangle containers like Jesse was looking at for dissolving the bodies in in the first season of breaking bad) and nobody wanted to pay a non-joke amount of money for them. They all just ended up getting donated.

As long as you've got the whole set intact and it's not mixed up with other pieces, and you have the instruction manual, you can put it in a ziploc bag and still get a decent price on the lego trader websites. Not like full price, obviously, but maybe a third or so? Depends on how rare the set is. If the bricks are all mixed together in a bucket then yeah it's usually just sold by weight for pennies on the dollar.

Given that the guy sounds like he hasn't even built a lot of those sets, I bet he could recover at least $10,000 by selling it all, maybe significantly more.

Which is exactly what you should do, you stupid moron. Buy a thousand ziplocs, spend the next few weeks disassembling the sets, and put them all up on Bricklink or eBay individually. You can use the time to reflect on your actions. Your wife probably shouldn't take you back because you're an untrustable liar but maybe if you at least make an effort to grow up you can patch things up a bit.

Disclaimer: the only reason I know all this poo poo about trading Lego sets is because I spent like a month once trying to track down a specific old discontinued set from years ago to give to a childhood friend. I swear have one little shelf of Lego motorcycles and a rubbermaid bin I'm keeping for my kids and that's it

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

loquacius posted:

In the grand scheme of collectible toys and resale value, LEGO does pretty well - certain minifigures can net high prices, as can rare pieces. An example I can think of offhand is this ridiculous door because it was only in a handful of sets, and therefore alone can net about $15.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sagebrush posted:

As long as you've got the whole set intact and it's not mixed up with other pieces, and you have the instruction manual, you can put it in a ziploc bag and still get a decent price on the lego trader websites. Not like full price, obviously, but maybe a third or so? Depends on how rare the set is. If the bricks are all mixed together in a bucket then yeah it's usually just sold by weight for pennies on the dollar.

In my (parents') defense this was well before obsessive communities like that popped up and ebay was still a pretty niche thing. Plus it would probably take months to sort it all out since we had no clue what blocks went to what set. We just got them for christmas and dumped them in the tub and threw the rest of the stuff out once we built it once.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
If you've got the original box and all the parts (including minifigs) then you can make bank. You'll definitely make a profit on any discontinued lines at least, but if you don't have the figures you'll only get a fraction of that. A few years back my mother had a decent side gig going buying massive buckets on ebay and then reselling individual bricks for a few bucks a go.

There are a few goons in the lego thread who do this already so I'm sure he knows, but if you're renting secret storage to keep your lego hoard in like a Scandinavian dragon then you probably have bigger hoarding issues preventing you from selling than simply not making a profit on your resales...

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012
Send me the lego. I'll pay postage, but no ninjago poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m not gonna lie normally I read these feshes and on some level connect because I understand pain and addiction and longing, but LEGOON fesh was the first one in forever where I was just like “drat I’m so glad I’m not that loving guy jesus lord”

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
He should have signed a Lego-tract with his fiancee.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These would also be useful for the lol skins.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Incoherence posted:

drat I could only hope my wife would be supportive enough to draw this up so I’d know it was time to kill myself.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

This is an oldie but I think it's still funny. Anyway, this was right when Skyrim was all the internet was talking about, and my co-manager and I happened to have an employee named Lydia (For those of you who don't know, Lydia is a memorable NPC who is sarcastically vocal about how much she really hates carrying stuff for you). So naturally we decided that any time stuff needed to be carried around we would tell the real life Lydia to do it, because we were both playing Skyrim, were stupidly obsessed with memes and were horrible people. Lydia had absolutely no idea why we were picking on her like this.
Lydia complained to our director and the four of us had a meeting. Our director tried to be serious about this but she was clearly fighting not to just crack up about the whole thing. We promised to try and be more fair in the future. The second after Lydia left the room the director just completely lost it and told us that if the whole thing hadn't been so funny she would have fired the both of us.

Goddamn dude

If you're loving with someone because of a nerd reference you have to tell them the reference, you're just lucky the director is a nerd too

Anyway the funniest thing about Lydia was always the boatload of "POLITE LYDIA" mods that started cropping up because nerds have incredibly thin skin

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I accidentally killed Lydia in the first battle I ever took her to (what up destruction magic cast thoughtlessly into a crowd) and didn't realize she would be useful if I reloaded

Incoherence posted:

But this makes me wish that it was I who died early instead

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Incoherence posted:

There would likely have been some tough Lego-tiations to work out that contract......

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

Goddamn dude

If you're loving with someone because of a nerd reference you have to tell them the reference, you're just lucky the director is a nerd too

Anyway the funniest thing about Lydia was always the boatload of "POLITE LYDIA" mods that started cropping up because nerds have incredibly thin skin

How polite are we talking? Picturing a switch to a comedy British accent and tea parties.