Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Francis is a much better antagonist than... an abstract sense of dread surrounding a child, but overall I like everything else better here than the first one.

"That guy wore the brown pants!" was such a dud of a joke in DP, but "I should've worn my white pants!!" was aces in DP2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

I would enjoy it if Ryan Reynolds was forced to live as Deadpool for the rest of his career because of how successful this is and he gets nowhere with anything else. Like, they have to pay him money to do it, but all his other films bomb, and he's forced to keep going until his 80s doing Deadpool because it's too much of a good thing.

I don't want ill will on Reynolds but...I think it'd be funny if this is all he is recognized for and is forced to do this schtick forever.

Honestly I don't know if Reynolds would actually hate that.

This was pretty much his dream role that he poured loving everything into and basically risked blacklist to make happen, it'll be a long time before he burns out on it.

ED: I still hold he is the only watchable part of Blade 3.
http://snipeseyes.ytmnd.com/

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, at least parts of it played during the Juggy fight, but it was kind of subtle with all the other sound effects going off. That reply above was my thought process. "Is that choir singing... holy poo poo?"

edit: forgetting spoiler tags, sorry. Editing them back in.

I still think this is the best joke in the movie. The fact it creeps up on you only makes it better.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 22, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

davidspackage posted:

Turning Domino black with a white vitiligo eye was a great idea. Was there any serious backlash from nerds about that this time round?

I think the fact she was one of the best characters in the movie helped a lot.

If their goal was to make me down to see an X-Force movie they succeeded. I liked all of them but she's the true stand-out newcomer, even more than Cable. I'm guessing the extra footage they shot with her included the battle in the orphanage? I know they gave her an extra scene based on audience feedback.

ED: Actual Domino question, when Deadpool was doing that running monologue of 'What does that even look like? Does she shoot luck beams out of her eyes or something?' was that a direct mockery on the fact they changed Scarlet Witch's powers because they didn't think probability would translate well to the screen? At least on a possible 2nd layer to that. I remember they made her generic 'magic poo poo' because they didn't think it'd translate.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 22, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm guessing the extra footage they shot with her included the battle in the orphanage?

If that was the case, god bless 'em. Watching her Final Destination all those guys was fantastic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

If that was the case, god bless 'em. Watching her Final Destination all those guys was fantastic.

gently caress "fantastic", that was downright horrifying.

"oh, that's fine, he's just resting on the bed, at least JESUS CHRIST HE HAS NO HEAD, poo poo"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gavok posted:

It got laughs both times I saw it, but I thought the use of "Tomorrow" during the slow-motion sequence was poignant as hell and really well done.

The entire soundtrack was fantastic, honestly.

Gatts posted:

I would enjoy it if Ryan Reynolds was forced to live as Deadpool for the rest of his career because of how successful this is and he gets nowhere with anything else. Like, they have to pay him money to do it, but all his other films bomb, and he's forced to keep going until his 80s doing Deadpool because it's too much of a good thing.

I don't want ill will on Reynolds but...I think it'd be funny if this is all he is recognized for and is forced to do this schtick forever.

In order for this to happen the Detective Pikachu movie (staring Ryan Reynolds as the voice of the Pickachu Detective) would have to be bad and bomb, and that would make me sad so I want to officially state right now that I do NOT want this to happen.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 23, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

"oh, that's fine, he's just resting on the bed, at least JESUS CHRIST HE HAS NO HEAD, poo poo"

I laughed pretty hard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think the fact she was one of the best characters in the movie helped a lot.

If their goal was to make me down to see an X-Force movie they succeeded. I liked all of them but she's the true stand-out newcomer, even more than Cable. I'm guessing the extra footage they shot with her included the battle in the orphanage? I know they gave her an extra scene based on audience feedback.

ED: Actual Domino question, when Deadpool was doing that running monologue of 'What does that even look like? Does she shoot luck beams out of her eyes or something?' was that a direct mockery on the fact they changed Scarlet Witch's powers because they didn't think probability would translate well to the screen? At least on a possible 2nd layer to that. I remember they made her generic 'magic poo poo' because they didn't think it'd translate.

That's pretty much in line with what Scarlet Witch turned into in the comics anyway. She literally uses magic as a mutant power.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

MisterBibs posted:

The part where the dude conveniently slips and falls on his own knife was fantastic.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They should sell Domino branded loaded d20s, rigged to either favor a 1 or a 20 (but whichever version you get is random in blind packaging)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I love that they played ”Take On Me” during the scene where she pulls him through the barrier into her “world”.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s great when they let these artists do what they want and don’t have some fuckheads messing it up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Domino definitely could only work in a Deadpool movie, and is perfect for it.

Though I think they need to have Deadpool fight more actual superhumans, was pretty cool watching him take on Cable and the Juggernaut vs Colossus fight was classic, but the rest is just killing random goons with guns and no sense of self-preservation. Which Deadpool tends to do plenty of, but I feel there's room for more interesting fight scenes with bloody slapstick comedy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

The best bit about that is that guy got pinned by the racks/beds being giant dominos. It's like the clearest example of her power.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How do you even fight Domino? How do you beat luck?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Young Freud posted:

The best bit about that is that guy got pinned by the racks/beds being giant dominos. It's like the clearest example of her power.

How did I... how did I miss that?! That's incredible.

Re: Alan_Shore: Her power was a bit more random in the comics. It only worked sometimes. Movie Domino I have no idea aside from something inescapable like a nuke or something.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 23, 2018

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Kinda interesting stuff re: a trope that was discussed earlier

Gail Simone is the "creator" of the "Women in Fridges" trope
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/999283172171964416

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I was waiting for Gail Simone's take on the whole thing, I had a feeling she might lean that way

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I enjoyed the shots at Josh Brolin by way of The Goonies references, especially during baby legs DP, he’s wearing Chunk’s shirt. I think I was the only person who laughed when they first showed that.

Also, he calls Cable “One-eyed Willie” at one point.

I’m sure there are more I missed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Alan_Shore posted:

I'd imagine at the end if Juggernaut actually managed to get his hands on her luck wouldn't save her from being ripped in half.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Braincloud posted:

I enjoyed the shots at Josh Brolin by way of The Goonies references, especially during baby legs DP, he’s wearing Chunk’s shirt. I think I was the only person who laughed when they first showed that.

Also, he calls Cable “One-eyed Willie” at one point.

I’m sure there are more I missed.

I love sneaky Goonies referrences

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is one eyed willy a goonies reference? It's just a thing people call dicks that is both a thing deadpool and goonies referenced separately.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. They’re looking for One-Eyed Willie’s treasure.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I wish "posting a sequence of tweets rather than just getting a blog" was a trope that'd get fridged, or whatever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did somebody say Kevin Smith.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disgusting Coward posted:

I wish "posting a sequence of tweets rather than just getting a blog" was a trope that'd get fridged, or whatever.

Sorry old, it’s here to stay!

For another year or so. :v:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Slightly Absurd posted:

Kinda interesting stuff re: a trope that was discussed earlier

Gail Simone is the "creator" of the "Women in Fridges" trope
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/999283172171964416

It's a good counter-argument to the Forbes article, which says that the film failed its female characters; it also has zero mention of Domino anywhere, effectively crippling its own argument.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love sneaky Goonies referrences

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :aaaaa:

All these years and I never noticed that?!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should have had the Martha joke come full circle and have Cable reveal that his dead wife's name is the same as Deadpool's dead girlfriend.

The Zeitgeist joke was pretty good too, and if you were familiar with the Milligan/Allred X-Force run, his inclusion on the team kinda telegraphs what's going to happen to them later.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Anyone else catch the ad for Alpha Flight on the cab?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Alan_Shore posted:

Have them battle someone with powers to inflict unluck on their opponent.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 23, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is that a super power? How dumb can super powers get?

Please don't answer that

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alan_Shore posted:

Please don't answer that

Luck powers are pretty well established. Black cat has them to accept it's the reverse, if you mess with black cat she can give you bad luck.

Technically, wasn't Scarlet Witch's original Power set probability manipulation?

Anyway, it's a superpower because it makes it easy to justify things and get around lazy writing. After all, it's not busy writing because being lucky is an explicit superpower she has.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Alan_Shore posted:

Please don't answer that

But I want tooooooooo! :(

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I imagine raw skill or overwhelming power can overcome domino's powers.

Cable came extremely close to killing her and its hard to imagine she has much game against someone like The Shadow King or Dark Phoenix.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Based on the whole bit in the movie about Domino's luck gently guiding her where she needs to be, presumably its response to an overwhelming power it couldn't directly combat would be to keep her from their attention, like when she quietly steps out of sight of Juggernaut.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Covok posted:

Luck powers are pretty well established. Black cat has them to accept it's the reverse, if you mess with black cat she can give you bad luck.

Technically, wasn't Scarlet Witch's original Power set probability manipulation?

Anyway, it's a superpower because it makes it easy to justify things and get around lazy writing. After all, it's not busy writing because being lucky is an explicit superpower she has.

Longshot and Gambit are also known to have luck as a power, so it's not even that uncommon in the X-Men side of the Marvel universe. I thought Shatterstar might have them to, being from the same place as Longshot, but I guess I'm wrong.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

The limit of Domino's luck powers is really only a matter of whoever's writing her. It's pretty common for Marvel characters to punch FAR above their weight class if it makes for a fun story. You've got characters like Squirrel Girl beating up characters like Thanos, Galactus, Dr. Doom, Wolverine, and even Deadpool

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This is why I really dislike abstract concepts as a power. Yeah, there's always going to be a degree of depending on the writer, but when the concept itself throws up its hand and goes "iunno" it feels a bit cheap.

Domino wasn't too bad in this respect, she was largely played for fun rather than pathos, so this is a more general irritation than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Luck superpowers loving rule and Domino had all the best jokes in the movie.

• Locked thread