Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

Most hoods I've seen that actually exhaust through the wall don't need an additional fan, you connect them directly to your ducting. I'd expect the thing you've linked to be used in bathrooms.

I'd be super hesitant about putting anything plastic that close to your stove top. Is there any space above the window to put in a hood? Can you move your cooker?

I got the idea from This Old House on YouTube.

I think moving the stove would end up as A Project and I'm not ready for that. Current plan is to slide the stove top the left so it's flush and a friend is building a small cabinet extension to fit on the right, but the outlet needs to be moved so if I'm having someone do that and I can figure out a fan solution, I could have it all done at once.

(Please don't judge Judgemental Pig)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had hoped that the exhaust fan was going to be in the pig

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

TV shelf guy, "ikea hacks" where you just bolt similar Ikea shelves together is a reasonable option. You just need to reinforce/selected shelves that are actually able to hold books and a tv and not just flower pots like in the sample photos.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

I had hoped that the exhaust fan was going to be in the pig

Well. Now it is.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

peanut posted:

TV shelf guy, "ikea hacks" where you just bolt similar Ikea shelves together is a reasonable option. You just need to reinforce/selected shelves that are actually able to hold books and a tv and not just flower pots like in the sample photos.

Hello. Thanks for the suggestion. I did think of Ikea initially as they do offer something similar as a kit which they apparently send a chap out to install (only against one wall as far as am I'm aware). Ikea stuff is ok 'for now' but the materials they use are susceptible to warping over time. I could go the route you suggest of reinforcing selected shelves but I'm a picky bugger and would prefer something that's just built well from the start and doesn't need unsightly metal brackets here and there to stop it from warping everywhere. Also with spreading across three different walls in one unit, going the Ikea route would result in a hodge podge of different units bodged together that would end up looking a bit weird. I'd rather hanv one single unit that looks to have been built for its purpose. Hence the scratch build. I've had a few more quotes since crazy £111k guy and they're all around the £300 area. I'm giving the first chap the benefit of the doubt and have sent him an e-mail asking if he misplaced a decimal point, misquoted entirely, or if he's is just insane.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slate Slabrock posted:

I got the idea from This Old House on YouTube.

I think moving the stove would end up as A Project and I'm not ready for that. Current plan is to slide the stove top the left so it's flush and a friend is building a small cabinet extension to fit on the right, but the outlet needs to be moved so if I'm having someone do that and I can figure out a fan solution, I could have it all done at once.

(Please don't judge Judgemental Pig)

Pig head needs to be on the outside so that smoke from the exhaust gushes from its mouth and nostrils. LED lights in the eyes would be a very nice touch too.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I getcha. We spent almost $1000 on this massive unit (from a door/flooring manufacturer) because we need a Forever shelf which will resist sagging and earthquakes.
https://www.daiken.jp/product/detail/storage/18100268.html

vvv I got wood

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 23, 2018

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Only the finest wood for my anime waifus

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Only the finest wood for my anime waifus

it is totally reasonable to spend 4 digits on a shelf i do not understand the issue

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Prada Slut's deeply offended by the idea someone might own so many things they need to build a big shelf to support them instead of living in a featureless white void.

Especially if the things look like lots and lots of Japanese comic books.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

it is totally reasonable to spend 4 digits on a shelf i do not understand the issue

Yeah, and that cost is almost all going towards labor, not materials. Especially since it's gonna be painted, you don't need to spend extra on fancy woods with nice-looking grains.

People don't understand how much work it is to hand-build furnitureanything.

(And I'm pretty sure that only the top-right 2x2 area has comic books)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yup that's some of my husbando's manga collection :japan: I'm not insulted, lol. We've actually read 95% of the full shelf content. Maybe we'll get big pretty books for show later. The bottom row is all picture books, those things are huge and heavy. The real problem is finding the right file boxes to hold magazines.

It's a library room dedicated to books and toys. It keeps the overflow to the living room at a (still significant) minimum.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh, who cares what's on the shelf? People who buy books they'll never read and carefully curate the things that are on display in their home because they're afraid of being judged by Internet People are infinitely sadder than someone who has read a comic book and doesn't give a poo poo.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My pet decorating peeve is when people make those rainbow collections of books on their shelves, and clearly only bought the books for dat ombré or whatever. Don’t fill up your house with things you don’t use or care for.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I sat and stared at a friend's bookcase for 10 minutes because I was sure they would've been arranged by some pattern but I couldn't see it.

Turned out they were arranged by height.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

I sat and stared at a friend's bookcase for 10 minutes because I was sure they would've been arranged by some pattern but I couldn't see it.

Turned out they were arranged by height.

I mean, I do that too -- all of the tall books on my main bookshelf go on the two shelves that are tall enough for them to fit, in whatever order.

But all the rest of the shelves are arranged by author.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I mean literally a linear progression from biggest book to smallest.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
gently caress collecting stuff that just sits there as fuel for the fire. you're better off hollowing out those books and using them to hide guns

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Parachute posted:

gently caress collecting stuff that just sits there as fuel for the fire. you're better off hollowing out those books and using them to hide guns

No need, they already contain something more dangerous. Knowledge.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Books are awesome. Don't sneer at books.

peanut posted:

I getcha. We spent almost $1000 on this massive unit (from a door/flooring manufacturer) because we need a Forever shelf which will resist sagging and earthquakes.

I like this.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, and that cost is almost all going towards labor, not materials. Especially since it's gonna be painted, you don't need to spend extra on fancy woods with nice-looking grains.

People don't understand how much work it is to hand-build furnitureanything.

(And I'm pretty sure that only the top-right 2x2 area has comic books)

Fully (and cuatiously) aware of the amount of work this project will require. Outside of my job I currently don't have any commitments (Other than remembering to mow the lawn and put the bins out on the right day) so this is my after work and weekend project to keep me occupied for a while. I'm still in the planning stages, while also sourcing a supplier for materials.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People constantly worried about being adult or doing their own thing kind of make me sad. You love your place it's yours enjoy it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
prada slut what does you house look like?

E: genuinely curious. I really appreciate minimalist style.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 23, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

see you post that as an own but i could dig that depending on how they finish it

E: it has potential although i hate indoor plants and raised areas

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm the hooved night stand

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

see you post that as an own but i could dig that depending on how they finish it

I guess you haven’t met PRADA SLUT. That’s finished.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

E: genuinely curious. I really appreciate minimalist style.

Hatstands are gluttonous excess.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

who the heck hates a plant

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

Hatstands are gluttonous excess.

That's actually well-furnished compared to my bedroom right now, though not by choice.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

That's actually well-furnished compared to my bedroom right now, though not by choice.

It's off a tumblr I started following who's aesthetic can best be described as Indian palaces, modernist painter's historic homes, and squatters dens for college boys who have yet to acquire their Scarface poster. I was trying to collect bad ones for this thread, but gave up because they're all the same drat thing. Wait...

This one has stupid rope lights.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

there wolf posted:

also a loving log

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I thought I posted my place before but I’ll put pictures when I get home

there wolf posted:

It's off a tumblr I started following who's aesthetic can best be described as Indian palaces, modernist painter's historic homes, and squatters dens for college boys who have yet to acquire their Scarface poster. I was trying to collect bad ones for this thread, but gave up because they're all the same drat thing. Wait...

That’s for sex

The Bloop posted:

also a loving log

and that

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
With a view like they've got why would you faff about too much with the decor?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

There's a Roomba surgery happening on the counter but I have a picture from before

e:

No screen yet for the mount :negative:

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 24, 2018

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What desk is that? I need a desk

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

A MIRACLE posted:

What desk is that? I need a desk

HM Renew

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I hate your sink and hope you hate it too :sadpeanut: We need a kitchen action shot, maybe some food photos from ~entertaining guests~

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

also a loving log

They both have logs.

At last the cube is revealed! It looks like the college guys sold their startup and let a sales guy talk them into a few pieces of furniture for the squat to attract girls.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

who the heck hates a plant

i find them tacky. E: I think plants in houses is a very American thing, you don't really see indoor plants in Australia like you do on the internet. Over here you might have a lil cactus or a bonsai, but bigger plants are for waiting rooms. Maybe it's different in the bigger cities but Brisbane is very green outside anyway, even in the city itself, so maybe people here just don't feel the need. I'm within an hour from the cbd and I'm within day trip distance to quite a lot of forests, mountains and national parks. I can just go outside and be surrounded by a million cockatoos in a million gumtrees. Maybe also, subreddits like r/malelivingspace have made me think bad of them because You Need Plants is something they obsess about, and they have plants just to have plants, they use them terribly. Who wants a big fake palm tree in their otherwise clean modern loungeroom?

I really hate fake plants full stop. They are mostly used by trendy cafes and bars trying to manufacture an atmosphere and thats what I think when I see them.

PRADA SLUT posted:

There's a Roomba surgery happening on the counter but I have a picture from before

e:

No screen yet for the mount :negative:

Looks good man. Is that a genuine eames?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 24, 2018