Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Two Beans posted:

I hope the kids books sell well, because then it's likely they'll release models and rules for the books' protagonists.

Not only will the online grogs explode again, but imagine tabling some proud boy's nazi guard army with your gender-neutral multi-racial teenage admech trainee and their wisecracking sarcastic servo-skull sidekick.

Just tear off the kid heads and put them onto primaris / custodes.

"This is my warlord Brother Captain Marty/Mary Sue, age 12. He is the youngest and bestest space marine captain the Imperium has ever seen. Also he's been adopted by Guilliman and is now crown prince of Terra, so the Inquisition is on his side too."

"So what's the back story for your warlord?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

Makes sense but currently just running a single Dragoon seems sub optimal. Seems they may work better in twos or threes

Edit-didnt even think about them getting a +2 to hit with the data tether. Doh

Yeah I use 3 and that works great, but is also just over 2pts/£ which is brutal.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Yeah I use 3 and that works great, but is also just over 2pts/£ which is brutal.

I'm running with ryza so I'm definitely all about getting a trio of them, but holy poo poo they're expensive.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I'm running with ryza so I'm definitely all about getting a trio of them, but holy poo poo they're expensive.

That's an interesting choice. I like the plasma strategem but I just find it really hard to focus one of the best Imperial shooting armies on assault. I think I'm personally going to do Graia when I finally start getting stuff painted.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

"This is my warlord Brother Captain Marty/Mary Sue, age 12. He is the youngest and bestest space marine captain the Imperium has ever seen. Also he's been adopted by Guilliman and is now crown prince of Terra, so the Inquisition is on his side too."

If rather play the kid with this army 10/10 times than the grown man talking about how in his last game his Eldar "raped the poo poo" out of his opponent

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

A guy I know came 10th or so at LGT with 14 of them (10 Dragoons, 4 Balistarii). He is a crazy person.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

TheChirurgeon posted:

If rather play the kid with this army 10/10 times than the grown man talking about how in his last game his Eldar "raped the poo poo" out of his opponent

What if he uses the term, "pushed their poo poo in" instead?

Edit: I only like trouncing my opponent if they have already proven themselves to be a complete dick.

I would much rather have an even slog that ends up, like that game someone just talked about. The one, where he was left with one guy holding the relic in heroic victory while cowering in a mess of giant pipes.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 23, 2018

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DancingShade posted:

“My Warlord is the one fated to kill yours.” :unsmigghh:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My warlord is gay.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

So long as the kid doesn't casually pick up and drop my models without even asking if he can touch them I don't really care what his backstory is.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

panascope posted:

“My Warlord is the one fated to kill yours.” :unsmigghh:

"My warlord went to the same school as yours, and from a young age continually competed with your warlord, only to be beaten down and bypassed for promotion after promotion, watching his bitter rival become the youngest space marine captain the Imperium had ever known, in no small part thanks to his adoptive father's impressive name and standing. When the big space marine school dance came around, your warlord and his chaplain cronies beat up my warlord and tossed him in a dumpster. So while your warlord was bathing in accolades, my warlord trained his body and mind and made a pact with the dark gods, and is destined to return to the battlefield and crane kick your warlord square in the face"

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JBP posted:

My warlord is gay.

I got snearinglt asked this by some gammon faced ball bag wrt my lady Watch Master and it’s been canon since. Love bloomed on the battlefield between a Mentor Captain and a Minotaurs Librarian and now they’re gonna delete your edgelord general off the board.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Pendent posted:

That's an interesting choice. I like the plasma strategem but I just find it really hard to focus one of the best Imperial shooting armies on assault. I think I'm personally going to do Graia when I finally start getting stuff painted.

Sup Graia buddy? :hfive: Learn to love it, Graia Vanguard in cover really enjoy not dying.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

A guy I know came 10th or so at LGT with 14 of them (10 Dragoons, 4 Balistarii). He is a crazy person.

Jesus.

Im thinking of running three under my counts as Stygies forgeworld.
I enjoy making my opponents miserable

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Its either that or aggrippina so that when they kill most of one squad of kataphrons I can go "oh what a shame. Send in the next wave" but ryza helps make the masses of plasma I can field better and makes punch kastellans better.

Plus since I'm going for konor the flavour of ryza as a forgeworld thats been on a war footing for so long they stopped being cute about their tech seems like a good fit.

Corrode posted:

Was his army case made of ablative gold or something else less expensive than his army?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Someone finally found an army more expensive than Fyreslayers.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

DancingShade posted:

I can't imagine ANY timeline where I'd want a bunch of screaming kids running around near my carefully painted and delicate models when they haven't yet learned to look after their lego for beginners kits and how to not break their toys at home. Ever seen a kid with no clue (or permission) pick up your carefully assembled metal/resin centerpiece by the most delicate section?

Not to mention the screaming. Have I mentioned the screaming? Remember how much kids scream when they play? I think I need to mention the screaming. Screaming.

Last time I was a member of a large & active private war gaming club (not just warhammer, all sorts of table mini games) we realised it was being turned into a dumping ground evening loving daycare so Mum and Dad could go have dinner/movie together on a Friday evening or whatever they did sans kids.

We dealt with it in the most effective manner: we closed the club completely so it was no longer an entity renting rooms to game in and it became a group of people playing in locations where anyone not of drinking age was unwelcome by the establishment.

I'm in my 40's, my son is 12. He plays Crimson Fists.

I play two types of games. One is at my house or friend's houses. We'll set up and play a wargame. If we're playing at my place and my son isn't out doing something else, he's welcome to play. He knows the rules - don't touch other people's models without permission, be respectful, etc. There's no screaming.

The other type of game is when we play out in public, like at a store. We'll happily play against similarly respectful opponents.

I absolutely understand the desire to have "adult night" wargames - that's how my Historicals games go down for the most part. But there are kids out there who can handle themselves. And, for that matter, there adults who can't. I think it's more about finding the right people myself.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So long as the kid doesn't casually pick up and drop my models without even asking if he can touch them I don't really care what his backstory is.

Don't all parents give the kid the schpiel about "you break it, you pay for it" and threaten them with servitude until their debts were paid?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cessna posted:

I absolutely understand the desire to have "adult night" wargames - that's how my Historicals games go down for the most part. But there are kids out there who can handle themselves. And, for that matter, there adults who can't. I think it's more about finding the right people myself.

Sounds like you're raising your kid right. If anything I bet the exposure is good for him. He gets to see how people should (and definitely shouldn't) act at an age that really forms his expectations for adult behavior. Plus he gets to spend time with his Dad which is awesome.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cessna posted:

I'm in my 40's, my son is 12. He plays Crimson Fists.

I play two types of games. One is at my house or friend's houses. We'll set up and play a wargame. If we're playing at my place and my son isn't out doing something else, he's welcome to play. He knows the rules - don't touch other people's models without permission, be respectful, etc. There's no screaming.

The other type of game is when we play out in public, like at a store. We'll happily play against similarly respectful opponents.

As always it's about playing with the right people, and in this case, parenting. I've been wargaming since I was 6 and I guarantee I ended up across the table from some people who really didn't want to play with a little kid. My dad taught me to be a good sport, respect my opponent's models, and generally not to be lovely. I was at a Warhammer store about a year ago for a game with a friend and there were two kids, probably around 10, who came by to watch. One was super obnoxious, insisted he knew everything best, and was loudly telling us what we should be doing. The second kid was thoughtful, soft spoken, and willing to learn and listen before speaking. In later trips to the store I'd see the obnoxious kid get dropped off my his mom and given $50, while I'd see the second kid playing with other kids his own age or painting with his grandma. I think that second kid will really go places in this hobby.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Looking at the current state of the game, is there any good reason to run Skitarii vanguard instead of Skitarii rangers? or should i build my boxes as 5 of each kind?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Z the IVth posted:

Don't all parents give the kid the schpiel about "you break it, you pay for it" and threaten them with servitude until their debts were paid?

I assure you that they absolutely do not. There are a lot of really, really lovely parents out there. When it happened to me the mom did nothing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
With all this talk of AdMech I just wanted to mention I’m finally building my Onagers and holy poo poo is it a complicated/involved kit. It’s all going together great but man does it take time to delicately assemble all this little railings and cables.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Frobbe posted:

Looking at the current state of the game, is there any good reason to run Skitarii vanguard instead of Skitarii rangers? or should i build my boxes as 5 of each kind?

I've built my squad holding all the plasma callivers as vanguard since they can actually do something while advancing into position to shoot, 18" range and all.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z the IVth posted:

Alternatively, "put yourself in their shoes, how would it feel to have that happen to you?"

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Artum posted:

I've built my squad holding all the plasma callivers as vanguard since they can actually do something while advancing into position to shoot, 18" range and all.

that makes far too much sense actually! arquebus with the rangers, plasma with the radbois

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Irate Tree posted:

Alternatively, "put yourself in their shoes, how would it feel to have that happen to you?"

Expecting that all parents care about whether or not their spoiled hellspawn empathizes with others is a recipe for disappointment. There are a lot of really, really awesome parents out there who go out of their way to make sure their kids are well behaved and respectful of others. Unfortunately there are plenty of others who either don't pay attention, or don't think it's important because they don't care about you either.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DancingShade posted:

I guess what I'm saying is Warhammer 4 Kids is going to make any self respecting adult never game in an establishment with even younger brats in it.

Are they planning to simply sell Young Fiction with Dora the Explorator and the accompanying plushies to kids? I hope that works out for them.

Sorry you’re mad about GW getting tweens interested in a game where an awful lot of people start playing it as tweens.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

PierreTheMime posted:

With all this talk of AdMech I just wanted to mention I’m finally building my Onagers and holy poo poo is it a complicated/involved kit. It’s all going together great but man does it take time to delicately assemble all this little railings and cables.

The leg assembly.... gently caress that

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Sorry you’re mad about GW getting tweens interested in a game where an awful lot of people start playing it as tweens.

p much this

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Heavy thunder hammers deal 6 wounds on wound rolls of 6+, deathwatch get innate reroll 1s to wound and +1 to wound rolls for 2cp.

This seems like a hilarious tank squishing set up, but a squad of 5 vanguard vets 3 storm shields + chainswords, 2 heavy thunder hammers is 170 points, which is a heavy investment (but not loads more than most DW squads).

Is this going to get blown off the table every game I play?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Serotonin posted:

The leg assembly.... gently caress that

I absolutely love that they worked out a method to get everything to actually move and function as a posable model. The amount of extra work required for that only to glue it to a base makes me question whether it was necessary. It was fun to move it around and make robot walker noises for a while.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Does it have actual articulation, or is it more that they have ball/socket connections that let you glue it into different poses?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Heavy thunder hammers deal 6 wounds on wound rolls of 6+, deathwatch get innate reroll 1s to wound and +1 to wound rolls for 2cp.

This seems like a hilarious tank squishing set up, but a squad of 5 vanguard vets 3 storm shields + chainswords, 2 heavy thunder hammers is 170 points, which is a heavy investment (but not loads more than most DW squads).

Not if you field two of them.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

Does it have actual articulation, or is it more that they have ball/socket connections that let you glue it into different poses?

Fully articulated would be madness, it’s mostly for positioning. Still, it’s a very complex multi-socket setup.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Alokgen posted:

I could use some advice on babbys first genestealer cult list. I only vaguely know what I'm doing and how to structure their squads.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [87 PL, 1245pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magus [4 PL, 73pts]: Power: Might From Beyond

Patriarch [7 PL, 150pts]: Power: Mass Hypnosis, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Legendary Fighter

Primus [4 PL, 76pts]: Bonesword

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids [10 PL, 123pts]
. 4x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Cutter
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Cutter
. Acolyte Leader: Autopistol, Cultist Knife

Neophyte Hybrids [10 PL, 65pts]
. 8x Neophyte Hybrid
. Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. Neophyte Leader: Autogun, Autopistol

Neophyte Hybrids [10 PL, 65pts]
. 8x Neophyte Hybrid
. Neophyte Leader: Autogun, Autopistol

+ Elites +

Aberrants [14 PL, 165pts]
. Aberrant: Power Hammer

Purestrain Genestealers [12 PL, 225pts]: 15x Purestrain Genestealer

+ Heavy Support +

Cult Leman Russ [11 PL, 190pts]: 2x Heavy Bolter, Battle Cannon, Lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Cult Chimera [5 PL, 113pts]: Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer

++ Total: [87 PL, 1245pts] ++

Not sure how to set up my ambushes. I want the Magus, Patriarch, and genestealer to be pretty close together. Primus will drop with the Aberrants. Everything else deploys normally with the Acolytes taking the Chimera.

Am I doing it kind of right?

Your Acolyte Hybrids generally want larger squads because otherwise you're Cult Ambushing to give up First Blood if you charge with more than one of them at a time. Also, the Heavy Rock Saw is pretty much the best pick for them, since it doesn't have -1 to hit and is cheaper than the Cutter. The only other deal is that Aberrants aren't going to swing for any targets against which the Primus himself would be effective--I found a mite more success throwing him in with Acolytes and using the Strategem on the Aberrants to get them where they're going.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
This is why i never base my dune crawler! Its much nicer as an unbased spider tank that can crawl over terrain blasting things with concentrated war crimes!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Basing the Dunecrawlers is better for actual gaming purposes, but there's an alternate universe where those legs are fully articulated and I want to move there.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Tiger Millionaire posted:

When i was falling down a theorycrafting hole for deathwatch thats exactly the sort of squad i wanted to build, since if you put them on the sergeant and 1 other guy its 5 thunder hammer attacks.

The other alternative is do it with a teleporting squad of veterans since then you get the sergeant and a blackshield for 6 attacks.
wait nevermind, stupid wargear conditionals

Artum fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Frobbe posted:

that makes far too much sense actually! arquebus with the rangers, plasma with the radbois

Im planning on ultimately having a squad of vanguard with callivers, a squad of rangers with arc rifles since they're also rapid fire (seriously give them a look) and another squad of rangers with arquebuses.