Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine an alternate timeline where I'd give a poo poo about a youth oriented warhammer book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ilor posted:

Or maybe if Kroot and Vespid hadn't had garbage rules...

Kroot had fine rules when they were first introduced. Vespids too. People buy units with middling rules all the time if they're cool enough. Hell, Dark Angels had literally never been good until recently and people still bought enough of those to warrant giving them their own codex. You gotta face facts that people think battlesuits are cooler than a coalition of rando aliens.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Is the Res Orb the worst upgrayedd in the game? 35 points for a one shot reroll on Resurrection Protocols for a unit within 3” is pretty bad y’all

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I do Dan. I do. So. loving much. I want to take 15 Van Saar and turn them into Stormtroopers, or 30 and turn them into Catachans or something. I'm already thinking of ways to quickly paint them up (use the bone color for armor plates, gray with light gray highlight and black wash for cloth, blue lights for cool bits).

gently caress Van Saar. Cadians. 30 of them is $87 on the GW website. Give them a flamer and no heavy weapons. 47 points x 3 = 181. A naked Company Commander is 30. A Primaris Psyker is 46. Total: 257.

Hell, I'm not gonna poo poo up the thread with a bunch of eBay listings, but there are a lot of them for Cadians, and they're all cheaper than new.

Painting:
Armor: bone
Cloth: purple
Skin: dark, cuz it's hella easier than pale

Enjoy your 5 CPs.

Welcome to 8th edition, where everyone's a Guard player.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

For my Armageddon Steel Legion, would Orlocks make better dock worker Conscripts or ork hunter Veterans?

I feel like painting them into digganob rambos is the right answer. Plus the kits are plenty expensive for conscripts, and veterans will still be armed for Necromunda.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

quote:

gently caress Van Saar. Cadians. 30 of them is $87 on the GW website.

It'd be even cheaper to use proxies.

That is to say, I consider vastly cooler looking plastic models to be worth paying extra.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Well it's less likely to be a box now since models and rules aren't synched, but it's the next Forgeworld Imperial Armor book (the books that let you use HH stuff and other forgeworld game shenanigans in 40k), and leaked art suggests it's going to be Mechanicus and Tau themed. It's been delayed for a while in exchange for FW continuing to immolate Horus Heresy with custodes releases.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

For real though we need more detail about what both have etc. Properly screened Guard tanks can be a gigantic pain in the rear end to deal with for a lot of armies.

I'll have to write something up tomorrow. The terrain helped him shield his Wyvern and Deathstrike, and he sent 3 squads of Adeptus Ministorum CC units in Rhinos, did a table edge strike with Bulgryns, and the mission was three objectives, one dead-center and it was a meat grinder in there.

He also had a hellhound and Leman Russ Punisher.

I learned a lot about my Deathwatch though, and I'm thinking I might lean more into Veterans with Shields and Termies. Tbf the guy I was playing is really good and a good guy so it was fun and educational.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Joys of being a slow painter. Most of this configuration talk doesn't translate to buying new models; I already have enough Inceptors, Aggressors, and Hellblasters to handle nearly every configuration possible. And what I paint gets used regardless. I enjoy thinking about the tactics and list building, and theory-crafting costs me nothing, so who cares?

I meant what I said in jest, I probably should have used a smilie or something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

gently caress Van Saar. Cadians. 30 of them is $87 on the GW website. Give them a flamer and no heavy weapons. 47 points x 3 = 181. A naked Company Commander is 30. A Primaris Psyker is 46. Total: 257.

Yes, but Van Saar have that cool quasi-Fremen look to them.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I meant what I said in jest, I probably should have used a smilie or something.

Honestly I took it about as seriously as everything else on SA. I appreciate the joking. It keeps me focused and helps me avoid doing things like starting a Necron army.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes, but Van Saar have that cool quasi-Fremen look to them.

They surely possess the wierding way!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Orlocks are way too cool for conscripts. Definitely vets.

Neurolimal posted:

Well it's less likely to be a box now since models and rules aren't synched, but it's the next Forgeworld Imperial Armor book (the books that let you use HH stuff and other forgeworld game shenanigans in 40k), and leaked art suggests it's going to be Mechanicus and Tau themed. It's been delayed for a while in exchange for FW continuing to immolate Horus Heresy with custodes releases.

IA books never come out with boxsets. I'll go update the wiki.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Orlocks are way too cool for conscripts. Definitely vets.

IA books never come out with boxsets. I'll go update the wiki.

What about sales/bundles? Seems kind of weird to release a rulebook with no promotional other-thing to buy as well (ala start collecting, forgebane).

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

What about sales/bundles? Seems kind of weird to release a rulebook with no promotional other-thing to buy as well (ala start collecting, forgebane).

It's FW, not GW. They might do a 0 savings bundle, but probably not. Typically they're about 75% fluff books, 25% rulebooks. There is roughly 0 chance that it'll come with a box set. The most likely thing is that they'll add some new units with no models, and then release some new custodes model without rules at the same time.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I totally want to do Van Saar as my vat-grown, Xenotech armed Deathwatch Proto-Primaris. Drop an Inquisitor in there for that freaky poo poo.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Boys the doctor results came in. I’m gonna die from this fever... unless! I get some sick pics of minis

Save me lads

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shockeh posted:

I totally want to do Van Saar as my vat-grown, Xenotech armed Deathwatch Proto-Primaris. Drop an Inquisitor in there for that freaky poo poo.

I was thinking of using Van Saar as Deathwatch Veterans for that very reason (plus Van Saar and an Inquisitor dropping out of a Corvus Blackstar is loving metal, but the thread seemed to think that was a bit too far in terms of proxying for anything outside of friendly games.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was thinking of using Van Saar as Deathwatch Veterans for that very reason (plus Van Saar and an Inquisitor dropping out of a Corvus Blackstar is loving metal, but the thread seemed to think that was a bit too far in terms of proxying for anything outside of friendly games.
Van Saar jumping out of a Corvus Blackstar, you say?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I could use some advice on babbys first genestealer cult list. I only vaguely know what I'm doing and how to structure their squads.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [87 PL, 1245pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magus [4 PL, 73pts]: Power: Might From Beyond

Patriarch [7 PL, 150pts]: Power: Mass Hypnosis, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Legendary Fighter

Primus [4 PL, 76pts]: Bonesword

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids [10 PL, 123pts]
. 4x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Cutter
. Acolyte Leader: Autopistol, Cultist Knife

Neophyte Hybrids [10 PL, 65pts]
. 8x Neophyte Hybrid
. Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. Neophyte Leader: Autogun, Autopistol

. 8x Neophyte Hybrid

+ Elites +

Aberrants [14 PL, 165pts]
. Aberrant: Power Hammer

Purestrain Genestealers [12 PL, 225pts]: 15x Purestrain Genestealer

+ Heavy Support +

Cult Leman Russ [11 PL, 190pts]: 2x Heavy Bolter, Battle Cannon, Lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Cult Chimera [5 PL, 113pts]: Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer

++ Total: [87 PL, 1245pts] ++

Not sure how to set up my ambushes. I want the Magus, Patriarch, and genestealer to be pretty close together. Primus will drop with the Aberrants. Everything else deploys normally with the Acolytes taking the Chimera.

Am I doing it kind of right?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't imagine an alternate timeline where I'd give a poo poo about a youth oriented warhammer book.

I can't imagine ANY timeline where I'd want a bunch of screaming kids running around near my carefully painted and delicate models when they haven't yet learned to look after their lego for beginners kits and how to not break their toys at home. Ever seen a kid with no clue (or permission) pick up your carefully assembled metal/resin centerpiece by the most delicate section?

Not to mention the screaming. Have I mentioned the screaming? Remember how much kids scream when they play? I think I need to mention the screaming. Screaming.

Last time I was a member of a large & active private war gaming club (not just warhammer, all sorts of table mini games) we realised it was being turned into a dumping ground evening loving daycare so Mum and Dad could go have dinner/movie together on a Friday evening or whatever they did sans kids.

We dealt with it in the most effective manner: we closed the club completely so it was no longer an entity renting rooms to game in and it became a group of people playing in locations where anyone not of drinking age was unwelcome by the establishment.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Alokgen posted:

I could use some advice on babbys first genestealer cult list. I only vaguely know what I'm doing and how to structure their squads.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [87 PL, 1245pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magus [4 PL, 73pts]: Power: Might From Beyond

Patriarch [7 PL, 150pts]: Power: Mass Hypnosis, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Legendary Fighter

Primus [4 PL, 76pts]: Bonesword

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids [10 PL, 123pts]
. 4x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Leader: Autopistol, Cultist Knife

. 8x Neophyte Hybrid

. 8x Neophyte Hybrid

+ Elites +

Aberrants [14 PL, 165pts]

Purestrain Genestealers [12 PL, 225pts]: 15x Purestrain Genestealer

+ Heavy Support +

Cult Leman Russ [11 PL, 190pts]: 2x Heavy Bolter, Battle Cannon, Lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Cult Chimera [5 PL, 113pts]: Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer

++ Total: [87 PL, 1245pts] ++

Not sure how to set up my ambushes. I want the Magus, Patriarch, and genestealer to be pretty close together. Primus will drop with the Aberrants. Everything else deploys normally with the Acolytes taking the Chimera.

Am I doing it kind of right?

Kind of yeah. I take it your plan for enemy armour is assault?

I do look and think that it needs more genestealers if possible.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I guess what I'm saying is Warhammer 4 Kids is going to make any self respecting adult never game in an establishment with even younger brats in it.

Are they planning to simply sell Young Fiction with Dora the Explorator and the accompanying plushies to kids? I hope that works out for them.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, but Wyches are awesome now.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

panascope posted:

Is the Res Orb the worst upgrayedd in the game? 35 points for a one shot reroll on Resurrection Protocols for a unit within 3” is pretty bad y’all

Tell that to the four Destroyers it revived after my first RP roll went to poo poo I guess :shrug:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I've learned that arquebus rangers fill the very, very important role of picking off pesky crypteks.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I guess what I'm saying is Warhammer 4 Kids is going to make any self respecting adult never game in an establishment with even younger brats in it.

Are they planning to simply sell Young Fiction with Dora the Explorator and the accompanying plushies to kids? I hope that works out for them.

Source your quotes.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I've learned that arquebus rangers fill the very, very important role of picking off pesky crypteks.

Arquebus rangers are great, it's a shame Rangers themselves haven't performed for me. The volume of fire Vanguard put out is way more useful overall for what I want to do. I'd happily field big blobs of Rangers otherwise cos their models are cool as hell.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 23, 2018

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The Deleter posted:

Arquebus rangers are great, it's a shame Rangers themselves haven't performed for me. The volume of fire Vanguard put out is way more useful overall for what I want to do. I'd happily field big blobs of Rangers otherwise cos their models are cool as hell.

I'm building my first unit of Rangers at the moment. Is it best to go 2x transuranic arquebus plus an omnispex? What about Alpha loadout?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

The Deleter posted:

Source your quotes.

Im feeling much the same as a new Admech player. I'm just running min Ranger unit with arquebus and then bigger blobs of Vanguards. I'm now considering dropping all the special weapons in my Vanguard blobs too as they just don't seem to add enough over their standard weapon output. I was totally deleting entire guard units with just five or six Vanguards last weekend.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Depends what you want. If you're going full blobs of Rangers then plasma is the better option - arc isn't bad for light vehicles but plasma covers both that and T5 threats really well. For a 5 man sniper unit, go 2 arquebuses and an omnispex. I think in all cases it's never worth it to arm Skitarii Alphas with anything extra, but for a sniper unit of Rangers definitely don't give them anything - it's better to have the extra rifle shot.

Serotonin posted:

Im feeling much the same as a new Admech player. I'm just running min Ranger unit with arquebus and then bigger blobs of Vanguards. I'm now considering dropping all the special weapons in my Vanguard blobs too as they just don't seem to add enough over their standard weapon output. I was totally deleting entire guard units with just five or six Vanguards last weekend.

Plasma owns too hard for me to give it up, it makes marines very upset. If only the special weapons could go on a separate sprue instead of having to buy three boxes or scavenging on eBay.

LightReaper posted:

I'm going through similar decisions at the moment and I have opted for the data tether instead. The reasoning being if I want to take advantage of the PROTECTOR DOCTRINA IMPERATIVE stratagem(!!) which gives the sniper +2 to hit rolls - I want to make absolutely sure that they hit. Is that a foolish idea?

Rolls of 1 always fail and Skitarii are 3+ BS, so that's super overkill. +1 is fine. Having an extra Dominus to hang near them for the rerolls is fun, but probably too expensive on points.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 23, 2018

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I'm building my first unit of Rangers at the moment. Is it best to go 2x transuranic arquebus plus an omnispex? What about Alpha loadout?
I'm going through similar decisions at the moment and I have opted for the data tether instead. The reasoning being if I want to take advantage of the PROTECTOR DOCTRINA IMPERATIVE stratagem(!!) which gives the sniper +2 to hit rolls - I want to make absolutely sure that they hit. Is that a foolish idea?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The Deleter posted:

For a 5 man sniper unit, go 2 arquebuses and an omnispex. I think in all cases it's never worth it to arm Skitarii Alphas with anything extra, but for a sniper unit of Rangers definitely don't give them anything - it's better to have the extra rifle shot.

This was my thinking, but getting the bitz for 2 arquebuses per 5 men is going to cost a fortune. If I'm not giving my alpha any upgrades, is there any need to build my alpha differently to a normal bum? Just use a standard rifle and maybe paint his hood a bit more fancy? Most of the time I can't see it mattering, but for something like the GW tourney at WHW your models must have what they are representing in game, so an Alpha with just a rifle needs just a rifle on the model.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

While we are talking Admech I'm considering dropping my lone Dragoon and adding a unit of Infiltrators in. Feel like they fulfil a similar role and the Infiltrators have more utility.
Any views?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Deleter posted:

Depends what you want. If you're going full blobs of Rangers then plasma is the better option - arc isn't bad for light vehicles but plasma covers both that and T5 threats really well. For a 5 man sniper unit, go 2 arquebuses and an omnispex. I think in all cases it's never worth it to arm Skitarii Alphas with anything extra, but for a sniper unit of Rangers definitely don't give them anything - it's better to have the extra rifle shot.

Plasma owns too hard for me to give it up, it makes marines very upset. If only the special weapons could go on a separate sprue instead of having to buy three boxes or scavenging on eBay.

Rolls of 1 always fail and Skitarii are 3+ BS, so that's super overkill. +1 is fine. Having an extra Dominus to hang near them for the rerolls is fun, but probably too expensive on points.

The +2 is for handling -1 to hit, or in the case of Dragoons it's for proccing their additional hits on 4s instead of 6s.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Shieldwolf making progress on their Sisters vehicles.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

While we are talking Admech I'm considering dropping my lone Dragoon and adding a unit of Infiltrators in. Feel like they fulfil a similar role and the Infiltrators have more utility.
Any views?

Dragoons are vastly better, since they're hard and killy enough to bully a variety of targets. Infiltrators aren't as good. They do look super cool though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shockeh posted:

Van Saar jumping out of a Corvus Blackstar, you say?

I suspect X-COM would have felt slightly different if the Ranger could drop missiles everywhere.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suspect X-COM would have felt slightly different if the Ranger could drop missiles everywhere.

If the Enemy Unknown transport doubled as an active combat unit then half the time my surviving troopers and their alien captive would have been taking a bus home.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corrode posted:

Dragoons are vastly better, since they're hard and killy enough to bully a variety of targets. Infiltrators aren't as good. They do look super cool though.

Makes sense but currently just running a single Dragoon seems sub optimal. Seems they may work better in twos or threes

Edit-didnt even think about them getting a +2 to hit with the data tether. Doh

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 23, 2018

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I hope the kids books sell well, because then it's likely they'll release models and rules for the books' protagonists.

Not only will the online grogs explode again, but imagine tabling some proud boy's nazi guard army with your gender-neutral multi-racial teenage admech trainee and their wisecracking sarcastic servo-skull sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mean, mine basically did with two guys without power armour standing in the back door with blaster launchers and a literal pile of ammunition. Would recommend.