Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kull... wahad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Shai Hadude.

The worm abides, man.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
This is not Salusa Secundus, Smokey, there are rules. Mark it zero.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Murray Mantoinette posted:

This is not Salusa Secundus, Smokey, there are rules. Mark it zero.

Nobody fucks with The Kwizatz.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Paul doesn't believe in anything. He's a nihilist.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yes.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The Little Harkonnen Urban Achievers

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Reading Chapterhouse. Nice to know even in the year 20,000 you can still get a decent brisket

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im worried about the 40k thread re: the DUNE thead :ohdear:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Even if you ignore everything but the actual humans in either universe, 40k seems infinitely more insane than Dune.

Like ok there's a Jihad that kills billions but it's also a massive event with enormous repercussions; I'm pretty sure the god-emperor in 40k requires a million people to be sacrificed daily just to keep him alive-ish

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Even if you ignore everything but the actual humans in either universe, 40k seems infinitely more insane than Dune.

Like ok there's a Jihad that kills billions but it's also a massive event with enormous repercussions; I'm pretty sure the god-emperor in 40k requires a million people to be sacrificed daily just to keep him alive-ish

Interstellar travel in WH40K literally only works if you go through literal Hell. As crazy as Dune is I don't think it's as possible to be as insane as 40K. Every time you think they've reached peak crazy somebody, somewhere comes up with a way to make the setting even more bug gently caress insane.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Still I bet Guild navigators and Imperium navigators would get along pretty well.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
a guild navigator falls through a hole in reality and onto an imperial battlecruiser. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of astropaths. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried spice”

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mutant Headcrab posted:

a guild navigator falls through a hole in reality and onto an imperial battlecruiser. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of astropaths. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried spice”

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mutant Headcrab posted:

lol

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mutant Headcrab posted:

a guild navigator falls through a hole in reality and onto an imperial battlecruiser. taking a glowglobe from the wall he spies row upon row of astropaths. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried spice”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yandat posted:

muad’dab

Hello muad'ah, hello paddah

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Shageletic posted:

Hello muad'ah, hello padishah

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Hello muad'ah, hello paddah

Here I am at, Camp Wallacha

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Stilgar's song

Hello Muad'Dib, hello my Chani
Hello Reverend Ma'

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Nice

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Extremely good post.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mutant Headcrab posted:

worm reduction

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mutant Headcrab posted:

kitiwatz hitothat

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Atomic!

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Grognan posted:

kitiwatz hitothat

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I caught up with this thread at a good time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mutant Headcrab posted:

warhams is entirely indulgent enough that you can just say "yeah there's some quadrant of the imperium where the local astropaths enhance their abilities by smoking worm poo poo from a desert planet and it turns their eyes blue" and it completely fits with the rest of the setting

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

warhams is entirely indulgent enough that you can just say "yeah there's some quadrant of the imperium where the local astropaths enhance their abilities by smoking worm poo poo from a desert planet and it turns their eyes blue" and it completely fits with the rest of the setting

DUNE already exists and it's GORKAMORKA (Angelis) and also p much exists in D&D too as Athas

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Testikles posted:

Reading Chapterhouse. Nice to know even in the year 20,000 you can still get a decent brisket

Is that what gives the Honored Matres the orange in their eyes?

I just started Chapterhouse the other day.

I liked Heretics up until the last part where Herbert wrapped everything up quickly and sloppily.

Pages 1-460: Multiple pages to describe a room.
Pages 460-End: One sentence to describe a major event.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dewn

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Doone

Turmoil posted:

I liked Heretics up until the last part where Herbert wrapped everything up quickly and sloppily.

The last two books are also where the Bene Gesserit turned from ninja spies to outright superheroes, abilitywise it owns

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Turmoil posted:

The Honored Matres use an adrenaline based drug to heighten their physical abilities, I think that's what makes their eyes orange.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i thought that was vagina spice

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

i thought that was vagina spice

You're thinking of the spice girls.

If you want to be my Usul
Gotta get with my Fremen
Jihad is too easy
But that's the way it is

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Traveling without moving.

*Pops the clutch*

*Screeches into shield wall*

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The terms "folding space" and "traveling without moving" suggest to me that Herbert was familiar with the karamat of Tay al'Arz, literally "folding of the earth."

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure he just did a lot of coke and experienced memory loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Have you considered that "traveling without moving" may just be a euphemism for disco dancing while tripping on acid really hard.