Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dias posted:

The one thing SFV did right was getting rid of 1f links.

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's ugly, the music sucks, all the menus suck, all the character designs suck. Which are all problems much, much better FGs have as well. The issue is that hitting buttons is a miserable experience and nothing about the movement or interaction is remotely enjoyable for the victor or loser.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If they were going to include Crush Counters as a design idea, they should have been OHKO and balanced the entire game around them. Instead they're the only buttons you ever hit ever and it has the tekken issue of a falsely large moveset but they still play like SF chars. So you care about 2 normals ever. So it's loving stupid!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

V system is also basically identical for all characters too. Just put roman cancels in the game if thats what you want. dont strip tools from classic character movesets just to have the moves to make your dumb system that only gets used as a combo extender

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 23, 2018

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

capcom had their hands on the marvel license post avengers 1 and 2 and they decided to make mvci

they dont deserve poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Disney probably said "you get no money to make it and we pull the plug on your right to sell the game at some point in the future" and capcom said "hey lets gently caress over our fans for a third game straight"

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I disagree on the presentation. I think SF5 might still be the best looking fighting game of this generation overall. I can't stand anime fgs and while Tekken has better textures it looks 10 years older animation wise. Music I don't know, I suppose it's generic other than a couple classic tracks.

I like character designs and the diversity is still there for me. Menat, Balrog, Ken and Abigail just to name a random few all play very differently so I don't get the "all character are the same and do the same things" criticism. That said I also hate Crush Counters and don't know what design purpose they serve or why they were even included in the game.

But yeah value proposition, monetization and netcode were/are horrifying, especially at release. Netcode I can't complain about lately because most of my matches are lag free which is a massive improvement from not working at all at launch. I've also seen people complain about every fg netcode in the history of humanity though so I don't know.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Presentation issues with sfv: Clipping models are out of control. The game launched with player 2 hyper breast physics, the menus, the non loading wait times built into the matchup animations, the insanely bad music, etc

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kawabata posted:

I disagree on the presentation. I think SF5 might still be the best looking fighting game of this generation overall. I can't stand anime fgs

lol

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Real hurthling! posted:

Presentation issues with sfv: Clipping models are out of control. The game launched with player 2 hyper breast physics, the menus, the non loading wait times built into the matchup animations, the insanely bad music, etc

oh yeah the clipping

But most characters look excellent in motion, other than Falke I suppose. Tekken looks like mannequins going at each other and anime fgs have too much tits.

I can't say that DBZ doesn't look great but I can't stand Toriyama or any iteration of Dragonball so I'm biased there.

your avatar also looks terrible to me for the same reason

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

guilty gear xrd and tekken 7 look much better than street fighter v, the claymation game with muscle freaks that have stupid faces and french fry hair

e: does kof13 count for this generation because that game is top tier sprite graphics of all time and much better looking than sfv

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I disagree on the presentation. I think SF5 might still be the best looking fighting game of this generation overall. I can't stand anime fgs and while Tekken has better textures it looks 10 years older animation wise. Music I don't know, I suppose it's generic other than a couple classic tracks.

Tekken 7

Street Fighter V

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I don't mind the muscle freak style but the hair is very hit and miss

Menat is probably the best example of how Capcom is still better than almost anyone else at animating characters when they put the effort in

(falke doesnt exist)

EDIT: ^^^^^ yes but those are textures. SF5's textures are mediocre compared to the latest releases, but the game more than makes up for them while in motion

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
lol if you think sfv looks better than tekken 7

this is the closest I've seen to an opinion being objectively wrong

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Zand posted:

lol if you think sfv looks better than tekken 7

this is the closest I've seen to an opinion being objectively wrong

Yeeeah I don't know.

Tekken characters all have the same pre canned jittery basic animation while getting juggled, every character is flat as a board on the ground off a knockdown and everybody's ground and pound from the top is exactly the same. They still use that terrible universal armbar animation or whatever that is. The running charge attacks are still the same whether you use Heihachi or Lucky Chloe which is also super jarring.

Oh and characters always arch their back in pain no matter how they were knocked out (ie even after a strike to the head). I don't know why Namco still uses so many 20 years old animations considering how well they do everything else (design, engine, stages).That said the game still looks alright, and gameplay is still Tekken so I'm not surprised the game has done well. It was also released as a complete product with a functioning online, which doesn't hurt!

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 23, 2018

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

almost forgot, they've also been recycling the same embarrassing sound effects for 20 years

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I legitimately enjoy playing SFV more than Injustice 2. I'm not sure how controversial that is, but I got swept up in the hype for that game last year and while it was pretty and the single player fun the actual gameplay left me cold. Also, I live in Japan and that meant it was basically impossible to find an online match without massive connection issues. SFV has the benefit of a relatively healthy player base here- I can find matches quickly at any time and with next to no lag.

But not counting the prerendered cutscenes SFV animations are way better than IJ2 as well, but thats kind of an NRS issue.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Real hurthling! posted:

Wasn’t the fix for the player 2 physics going apeshit turning off the physics entirely? Cause lol.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kawabata posted:

almost forgot, they've also been recycling the same embarrassing sound effects for 20 years

They do that because every time a Tekken game comes out Harada gets dogpiled by angry fans if they change a voice line or someones reaction sounds

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Should I make an effortpost about why the execution in SF5 being so easy is not only boring but actively detrimental to gameplay.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Should I make an effortpost about why the execution in SF5 being so easy is not only boring but actively detrimental to gameplay.

yes but only if you replace execution with the word finger puzzles every single time

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You're welcome to, I'm curious.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also every character is created to play in one way and one way only and it's basically impossible to express yourself via your gameplay, so to speak, which results in an incredibly boring game to play.

Additionally all the characters either have the exact same set of mediocre tools like everyone else or they suck a gently caress.
Most SFV characters are so homogeneous that playing them feels like you're eating a block of tofu.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hey now, tofu can be quite tasty when prepared well.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Additionally all the characters either have the exact same set of mediocre tools like everyone else or they suck a gently caress.

I know people like to hyperbole when it comes to SFV, but this is just objectively false.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It's seriously a problem when in high-level tournament gameplay you have dozens of top players using the same 5-6 characters AND there's no way to tell them apart by playstyle.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A.o.D. posted:

Hey now, tofu can be quite tasty when prepared well.

I had a really good bowl of tofu chili once

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

darealkooky posted:

in the defense of these scrooge companies, they don't have the unlimited black holes of money known as "idolmaster" and "gundam" to draw from that lets them fund games without shaking their customers down for quarters

Monster Hunter

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

this is simply not true though

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Complaints about 'all the characters are the same' or the 2P boob physics bug all stem from people probably not playing the game since 2016. I'm not saying it is a super great game or anything but come on.

I do think that the individual characters having an optimal button/combo with no reason to deviate is pretty valid. You can tell Capcom tried to address it somewhat with the new vtriggers but I think now there is just an optimal vtrigger to throw onto the min max pile. I'm not really sure what they can do at this stage to add combo variety.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Kawabata posted:

anime fgs have too much tits.

how can you say this unironically in defense of a game with Laura's string bikini in it

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Checking in to say that the game is still fun. Talking about the merits of the game with depressed clowns on something awful is not.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I am interested in seeing if it turns out to be anything other than a hyperbolic manifesto about how only the strong should survive, with 'the strong' in this case being people wherever in the spectrum that makes them think that 1f links are good

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't really play it but I still like watching the tournaments

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

how can you say this unironically in defense of a game with Laura's string bikini in it

SFV confirmed for anime

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

when ESPN broadcasted the EVO finals, they had to make Fuudo pick the less revealing Mika costume after the first set

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Checking in to say that the game is still fun. Talking about the merits of the game with depressed clowns on something awful is not.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kawabata posted:

this is simply not true though

What he really means is that the options that are viable at a high level are all the same. Yes there are differences between all of the characters, but usually those are vestigial moves that no one in tournament is using. The problem is that when you get to a Top 8 of a tournament every player is playing the exact same gameplan and playstyle regardless of what character they're playing. The only exception to this is Menat, and even then the minute she gets a confirmable hit she turns into every other character.

It used to be I could watch Street Fighter 4 matches and I could tell who was playing just by the way the character moved, attacked, and defended. From a visual standpoint there is nothing that sets apart Tokido's Akuma from any other Akuma. He is playing the exact same style and gameplan as everyone else, he's just more efficient at it.

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

It's seriously a problem when in high-level tournament gameplay you have dozens of top players using the same 5-6 characters AND there's no way to tell them apart by playstyle.

that's not true at all. compare some guy like danslip to other cammy players, or k-brad to kazunoko. you can also go back and watch some videos of when daigo first picked up guile, for the longest time he didn't even do combos.

edit: or fuudo's mika and du's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

FanaticalMilk posted:

What he really means is that the options that are viable at a high level are all the same. Yes there are differences between all of the characters, but usually those are vestigial moves that no one in tournament is using. The problem is that when you get to a Top 8 of a tournament every player is playing the exact same gameplan and playstyle regardless of what character they're playing. The only exception to this is Menat, and even then the minute she gets a confirmable hit she turns into every other character.

It used to be I could watch Street Fighter 4 matches and I could tell who was playing just by the way the character moved, attacked, and defended. From a visual standpoint there is nothing that sets apart Tokido's Akuma from any other Akuma. He is playing the exact same style and gameplan as everyone else, he's just more efficient at it.

That's hardly a SFV-only thing, the same applies to e.g. DBFZ. It's not really possible to tell players and playstyles apart in that game either, with the exception of Go1 because he's the only one who can block.