Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

quote:

In a strongly-worded statement 10 days later, the White House called that demand “Orwellian nonsense.”

This is pretty funny considering the United States refused to recognize the PRC until Nixon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
*takes fat bong rip* uhhhh yeah we'll fine you if your flights to japan dont have an in flight movie about the rape of nanking

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol Ian Bremmer is history’s greatest overpaid moron

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
sincere question because I don't want to learn an entire language to answer one thing: do phrases like Xi Jinping Thought, Communism with Chinese Characteristics or People's War Under Modern Conditions sound as :geno: in their original language as they do in english? i've always chalked it up to the linguistic difference

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Eox posted:

sincere question because I don't want to learn an entire language to answer one thing: do phrases like Xi Jinping Thought, Communism with Chinese Characteristics or People's War Under Modern Conditions sound as :geno: in their original language as they do in english? i've always chalked it up to the linguistic difference

i kind of figure its the same sort of language tricks that brought us operation enduring freedom and the patriot act

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 08:47 on May 23, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
read the thread brutmac i already posted that

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i denounce myself

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Eox posted:

mostly a linguistic thing, yeah. foreign correspondents complain about it but they complain about every goddamn thing. since the language itself is pretty direct, when you get into formal or theoretical documents you use a lot of extra characters to describe concepts and it sounds very different from conversational chinese. and because there's official translations everyone goes by there isn't a great deal of latitude when it comes to reproduction and reporting

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

lmfao we are so screwed

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

viral spiral posted:

lmfao we are so screwed

All we need is a solution to maybe a quarter of boomers.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crowsbeak posted:

All we need is a solution to maybe a quarter of boomers.

a final solution: immortality

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hell yeah

https://twitter.com/emilyrauhala/status/999214402552315904

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jose posted:

hell yeah

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's been almost a year since the claims of that attack in Cuba, and so far the best guess anyone has for why Cuba would be responsible is that they set up malfunctioning surveillance equipment which was making all the irritating noise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's been almost a year since the claims of that attack in Cuba, and so far the best guess anyone has for why Cuba would be responsible is that they set up malfunctioning surveillance equipment which was making all the irritating noise.

the same again maybe lol

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/999245502859399168

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If it's anybody's malfunctioning surveillance equipment, it's the CIA's.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

some type of eavesdropping or jamming

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If it's anybody's malfunctioning surveillance equipment, it's the CIA's.

got to ensure an increased budget next year

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Is China Using Cuban Brain Lasers To Melt Our Brave Diplomats' Frontal Lobes?

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/12/cuba-mass-hysteria-sonic-attacks-neurologists

GoluboiOgon has issued a correction as of 15:48 on May 23, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

how would you even identify brain damage in a career diplomat

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hahahahaha

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, fun fact, my father blamed a medical event that required the removal of his thyroid on the month or so he spent at the us embassy in russia in the 80s.

the dumb thing is that he worked as a radio engineer for over 20 years, so i'm sure he got far more RF exposure on the job than at the embassy.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

This is definitely a more likely scenario than communists with James Bond tech.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

got to ensure an increased budget next year

why would they do that when silicon valley just gives it to them for free?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Ace of Baes posted:

Cuba has healthcare for everyone and no homelessness which makes i would probably have a better life there then I currently do in America lmao

But they can't afford iphones.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I find it funny that because until like I think the year 2000 they limited who could have a phone the number of cell phones now almost outnumbers the total number of old phones.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LegoPirateNinja posted:

So what your saying is, no one uses social media?

*starts desperatly packing bags*

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Apparently they have an intranet but its too slow to post Che memes. gently caress planes, they've got some serious work to do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/inquirerdotnet/status/1000961963353141248

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GoluboiOgon posted:

also, fun fact, my father blamed a medical event that required the removal of his thyroid on the month or so he spent at the us embassy in russia in the 80s.

the dumb thing is that he worked as a radio engineer for over 20 years, so i'm sure he got far more RF exposure on the job than at the embassy.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

some type of eavesdropping or jamming

he probably just had a thyroid problem yeah but moar:

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 06:37 on May 28, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
It's hard to tell specifically what they're talking about there but there's not very good evidence linking EMF to any syndrome.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
everyone u know sticks a radio right beside their balls / ovaries

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oilmHSDCRE

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol can u imagine yury tring to control trump

would be like a loving dial tone

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the mobile customer ur trying to contact is unavailable at this time

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's obviously communist psychic powers unlocked by the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism-Maoism-Dengish-Xiism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/QiZHAI/status/1000931289845846016