Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Bug discovered !

Make a new thread
Type some text
Preview
Go back

The text is shifting down each time you do that, and with a small iPhone (se) it’s now covered by the keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I got the blank posts box bug again just now but with an exciting(?) new twist!

The new twist being that the bottom ~half of the "Share URL" button on that one post was also blanked out!

E: iPhone 8+, iOS 11.3.1, latest App store version of Awful App (v3.35)

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 17, 2018

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I haven’t been able to replicate it, but Awful kept stripping the apostrophes from a post I was trying to make.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Why does Awful keep having the new message icon for PMs when I already read the message and restarted the app multiple times? This is iOS on the newest version, running on an iPhone X.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The other day I noticed that the smilies seem more organized than they used to, like, similar ones (variations on a theme, say) are grouped together now when they weren’t before, but I know the app hasn’t updated in the last few days so I might just be dumb and just noticing it now but anyway I was going to come here and post about it but then I forgot. Then today I opened the smilie list and a lot of them were duplicated, which made scrolling take longer, but also made me remember to come here and post about smilies. The duplication appears when I select the list with the :-) face but not when I use the globe icon to select the smilie keyboard.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

That Robot posted:

Why does Awful keep having the new message icon for PMs when I already read the message and restarted the app multiple times? This is iOS on the newest version, running on an iPhone X.
Is it the one for forum-wide announcements?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

anthonypants posted:

Is it the one for forum-wide announcements?

No, just a regular private message. It's been stuck with a red 1 badge on it for two weeks, despite quitting the application.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there any update on the posts sometimes messing up and having to cancel a post and then go back and post thing being fixed?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

That Robot posted:

No, just a regular private message. It's been stuck with a red 1 badge on it for two weeks, despite quitting the application.

I had one stuck message for a while that I had to clear from the web browser

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

The new twist being that the bottom ~half of the "Share URL" button on that one post was also blanked out!

i hate this bug

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m using the latest beta and when I select “open in YouTube” for a video it always opens mobile YouTube in safari instead. Is there any way to make it open in the real YouTube app?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

It's a little thing, but my "favorites" and "recently used" smiley menus are always empty.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GutBomb posted:

I’m using the latest beta and when I select “open in YouTube” for a video it always opens mobile YouTube in safari instead. Is there any way to make it open in the real YouTube app?

It's a safari thing. I think if you press the Open In App button that Safari sometimes shows it'll remember your preference. Out of Awful's hands unfortunately.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

carry on then posted:

It's a safari thing. I think if you press the Open In App button that Safari sometimes shows it'll remember your preference. Out of Awful's hands unfortunately.

Yeah I figured it was an IOS thing. I click that pop up every time and it does open it in the app that time but next time I click a YouTube link it ends up back in safari with that pop up again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rahonavis posted:

It's a little thing, but my "favorites" and "recently used" smiley menus are always empty.

Same, mine’s been broken for months :(

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rahonavis posted:

Thirding this. I’m not sure it or recent smilies ever worked for me.

Also, while looking at the smiles menu while doing this post, a whole bunch (But not all) were showing double.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Long presses on threads have had sporadic problems for a while now. Sometimes it gives you the arrows for first page and last page, like I want. Sometimes it does that weird apple thing where a rectangle pops up and then it lets you copy the thread URL, which I don’t want.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Isn’t that just the 3D Touch popping up if you press too hard, and not press and hold lightly?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I don't know the specific names, but yeah that's probably it. The thing is, I think sometimes all long presses make the thing pop up. Like I can press it for a tenth of a second and it will still happen.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Thirding this. I’m not sure it or recent smilies ever worked for me.

Also, while looking at the smiles menu while doing this post, a whole bunch (But not all) were showing double.

I'm having these same issues. It doesn't seem to keep favorites and a lot of the smilies are duplicated.

Great app though, I'd never be on the forums without it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm gonna try to reproduce the following:

1. make a post
2. edit the post, but cancel out
3. quote the same post, and submit
4. instead of quoting, the saved change will be an edit to the post

So if I reproduce, you should see 1 subsequent post from me instead of 2.

e: yup, confirmed vvvv

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Post to be quoted.

kimbo305 posted:

Post to be quoted.

Now I'm quoting this and trying to save as a new post.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a reason the Awful app is now nonfunctional garbage that crashes every time I try to open a thread or open the Settings menu? It’s been doing this on my iPad for months and it pisses me off.

I wanna use the Awful app again. I miss Night Mode. :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is there a reason the Awful app is now nonfunctional garbage that crashes every time I try to open a thread or open the Settings menu? It’s been doing this on my iPad for months and it pisses me off.

I wanna use the Awful app again. I miss Night Mode. :(

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled or cleared the cache? I’ve seen that fix those problems

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Getting weird things where blank parts of the page are showing in normal mode instead of night mode

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’ve been getting an Imgur error every time I try to post an image. It’s -1. It’s been about a week now and I’ve tried clear the cache. I’m on iOS, fully updated.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’ve been getting an Imgur error every time I try to post an image. It’s -1. It’s been about a week now and I’ve tried clear the cache. I’m on iOS, fully updated.

Does the API key still run out of uses near the end of the month?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

withak posted:

Google says that should be 429. It doesn’t have anything for -1.

E: pulled the info from https://api.imgur.com/errorhandling

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Shitposting to get rid of the grey bar.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I’m on the latest version for iOS on an SE. I switched apps and was prompted for UN/PW (unusual), entered them from keychain, and the app crashed. Seems to working ok now, but figured I’d let you know.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So twitter vids no longer play inline for me, on iOS 10.3 on an iPad. I'm signed into my account because they'll open right up in the twitter app, and I can click through to reactions etc

Do I have to update permissions or something? Gdpr has been up in my poo poo in every possible way

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

withak posted:

It’s the first and it’s still giving me the same error. I just want to show off my food. 😭

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So twitter vids no longer play inline for me, on iOS 10.3 on an iPad. I'm signed into my account because they'll open right up in the twitter app, and I can click through to reactions etc

Same problem with iOS 11.4 on iPhone.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I dont run the awful keyboard so I don’t know if it’s related to that, but I keep getting this bug where I hit reply to a post, the window comes up to reply but there is no keyboard to type on. It is only fixed by restarting the app.

Running latest update and latest iOS, iPhone 8 Plus.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So...

you guys heading to bitbucket now?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't see a need to until MS announces something truly concerning. Pokeyman?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh God, please don't. Bitbucket is such a steaming pile.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Maybe try switching the new one to grey? It's heavier now so maybe it needs to be lightened up.

Might give that a go.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Bug discovered !

Make a new thread
Type some text
Preview
Go back

The text is shifting down each time you do that, and with a small iPhone (se) it’s now covered by the keyboard

This sounds like fun! I'll add it to the list.

Grace Baiting posted:

Woah. Still not sure what to do about this issue but collecting more variations can't hurt!

Lazyhound posted:

I haven’t been able to replicate it, but Awful kept stripping the apostrophes from a post I was trying to make.

I get this too like once a week. If you ever track down how to reproduce it, definitely let me know. It's baffling.

That Robot posted:

Good question! That used to happen a lot but we fixed it a few versions ago, or at least I thought we did. I'll add it to my list.

Pirate Radar posted:

The other day I noticed that the smilies seem more organized than they used to, like, similar ones (variations on a theme, say) are grouped together now when they weren’t before, but I know the app hasn’t updated in the last few days so I might just be dumb and just noticing it now but anyway I was going to come here and post about it but then I forgot. Then today I opened the smilie list and a lot of them were duplicated, which made scrolling take longer, but also made me remember to come here and post about smilies. The duplication appears when I select the list with the :-) face but not when I use the globe icon to select the smilie keyboard.

The duplication issue crops up a bunch, but I hadn't considered the wrinkle of :-) vs. globe. That could be a really good clue. Thanks!

Skeezy posted:

Is there any update on the posts sometimes messing up and having to cancel a post and then go back and post thing being fixed?

Can you be more specific? We have many ways of breaking posting :D

scary ghost dog posted:

i hate this bug

:same:

GutBomb posted:

Others have suggested my first thought: tap the "Open in YouTube" that appears in the status bar once you get to Safari. I'll make a note though, we might be doing something silly.

Rahonavis posted:

Sorry about that. Smilie keyboard is very broken. I'll add it to the list!

kimbo305 posted:

I'm gonna try to reproduce the following:

1. make a post
2. edit the post, but cancel out
3. quote the same post, and submit
4. instead of quoting, the saved change will be an edit to the post

So if I reproduce, you should see 1 subsequent post from me instead of 2.

e: yup, confirmed vvvv

This is probably the most confusing interaction in the app. Sadly, what you see is intended behaviour, but I realize it's hilariously unintuitive. Fixing it is on my list.

jivjov posted:

Getting weird things where blank parts of the page are showing in normal mode instead of night mode

Was this right after coming back to Awful after awhile so it had been kicked out of memory? (The most obvious giveaway that this is happening is you come back to a screenshot of Awful how you left it, then it disappears and the thread kinda reloads over the next second or two.) Did you browse other threads, or other pages in that thread, and was the theme still messed up?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Google says that should be 429. It doesn’t have anything for -1.

E: pulled the info from https://api.imgur.com/errorhandling

-1 is our lil Imgur uploader error code for "poo poo happened".

I'm working on fixing the Imgur uploader but I have no timeline for actually shipping it, sorry.

withak posted:

It does yeah, and we don't really parse that error condition and report it in a useful way. Working on fixing both of those.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Shitposting to get rid of the grey bar.

Picked the right thread! Usually a force quit fixes it too. Actually, recently I've found just scrolling around makes it go away, it's weird.

irpoweroutlet posted:

I’m on the latest version for iOS on an SE. I switched apps and was prompted for UN/PW (unusual), entered them from keychain, and the app crashed. Seems to working ok now, but figured I’d let you know.

Thanks! You should be ok now. It's on my list.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Do I have to update permissions or something? Gdpr has been up in my poo poo in every possible way

Not sure if there's something you need to do, something we need to do, or maybe they're just borked. Sorry. I'll add it to my list though!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It’s the first and it’s still giving me the same error. I just want to show off my food. 😭

There's a very good chance some other bits of our Imgur uploading are broken too! Wish I had more suggestions for you but I got nothing, sorry :(

ColHannibal posted:

I dont run the awful keyboard so I don’t know if it’s related to that, but I keep getting this bug where I hit reply to a post, the window comes up to reply but there is no keyboard to type on. It is only fixed by restarting the app.

Running latest update and latest iOS, iPhone 8 Plus.

There is an open issue about the smilie keyboard coming up empty when posting. I don't really have a workaround, but if you can somehow change keyboards that might help? Might need to (temporarily) disable the smilie keyboard to get it to change within Awful, I think "current keyboard" can be a per-app setting. And I'll +1 the issue.

carry on then posted:

I don't see a need to until MS announces something truly concerning. Pokeyman?

I vote we stay at GitHub.

But I'm open to moving if people wanna move.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I vote we stay at GitHub.

But I'm open to moving if people wanna move.

I vote for Visual Studio Team Services :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Can you please add an option in settings to turn off auto timg?