Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18/status/999333807957463040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kalli posted:

Award ceremonies pre-game for every cop that no scoped some 15 year old.

what about that one who tased the kid on the ATV? That seems like he should get an award too.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Ehud posted:

I feel like why should I watch football at this point

The effect of the game on its players is awful

The anthem stuff is dumb and annoying

The dolphins are bad

I dumped watching the Ravens and the NFL for good after they put Janay Rice in front of the press to apologize for getting punched on an elevator. Go with the feeling.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Staying in the locker room seems *more* disrespectful than kneeling.

I want all of the players to say gently caress it and just keep kneeling. Barring that, I'd like entire teams to stay in the locker room, preferably both teams before every game. I know none of these will happen.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I can only imagine the reaction of certain sections of America if both the Raiders and Seahawks stayed in the locker room for the American anthem then steamed onto the field for British anthem when they play in London

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It was pretty funny when Brandon Weeden got trapped underneath the flag.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I can only imagine the reaction of certain sections of America if both the Raiders and Seahawks stayed in the locker room for the American anthem then steamed onto the field for British anthem when they play in London

This would be amazing and I hope the Eagles and Jaguars do it

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Ah, yes, Gruden and Carroll, noted for their opposition to this new policy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What makes this all especially stupid is what the hell is a team fine going to do to discourage individual players from "disrespecting" the flag?

Team fines are usually pretty small amounts.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

King Hong Kong posted:

Ah, yes, Gruden and Carroll, noted for their opposition to this new policy.

I didn't choose the Seahawks and Raiders accidentally, just that theirs is the first game of the three over here

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

axeil posted:

God please yes.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

axeil posted:

Europe is insanely racist so they should kneel there too

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/999350400229748742

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
All this to do about The Anthem. I mean it's a pretty dumb song. Have you even listened to it? Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desJKYvdq9A

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

All this to do about The Anthem. I mean it's a pretty dumb song. Have you even listened to it? Here:

Actually I think you'll find that song owns, hth OP.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

dmx for commissioner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj3mHN8h_zk

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What the gently caress is wrong with this country and everyone bending over to Trump. I honestly don't loving get it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Philthy posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with this country and everyone bending over to Trump. I honestly don't loving get it.

They're all super rich and overwhelmingly white, they are 100% on board with everything Trump is about lol

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I will stand and salute for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjiQ6_u2E2I

Philthy posted:

He's a useful idiot that allows terrible people to fulfill their wildest dreams.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I wish they'd just bin the whole anthem shite before the game, it's a pointless affair that was never needed in the first place.

I can see why they get played in international tournaments when two countries are playing against each other and both anthems are played, but a club sport with two teams from the same country ?

I say this as a dirty foreigner though, I know you Yankees love your anthem.

Just have the NFL create their own anthem and play that like they do in the UEFA Champions League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pXAzUyoJ1k

El Patron fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 23, 2018

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Spoeank posted:

shoutout to madden 03

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Aren't most NFL teams subsidized through the government, and have certain deals to be broadcast on national channels? Wouldn't this move this to a freedom of speech issue since the NFL and the teams are not privately owned outright, and granted government sponsored public rights for broadcasts and tax breaks?

I mean, Trump was even railing about this very fact that us tax payers are the ones propping up these teams, what a waste of money for people having free speech etc.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 23, 2018

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
football loving sucks guys i can't believe it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

football loving sucks guys i can't believe it

It's good and fun to watch

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

El Patron posted:

I wish they'd just bin the whole anthem shite before the game, it's a pointless affair that was never needed in the first place.

I can see why they get played in international tournaments when two countries are playing against each other and both anthems are played, but a club sport with two teams from the same country ?

I say this as a dirty foreigner though, I know you Yankees love your anthem.

Just have the NFL create their own anthem and play that like they do in the UEFA Champions League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pXAzUyoJ1k

the DoD pays the NFL for all the faux patriotism nonsense so...

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Al Davis wouldn't abstain from poo poo, he would tell the entire league to go gently caress themselves. This just further solidifies the fact that he's clearly the best owner the game has ever had.

Fun, weird and quirky things aside, holy poo poo his son is such a disappointment considering how badass Al was.

RIP

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

Al Davis wouldn't abstain from poo poo, he would tell the entire league to go gently caress themselves. This just further solidifies the fact that he's clearly the best owner the game has ever had.

Fun, weird and quirky things aside, holy poo poo his son is such a disappointment considering how badass Al was.

RIP

Al Davis abstained from loving tons of votes

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:hai:
https://twitter.com/GuyEndoreKaiser/status/999341675813265408

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

a neat cape posted:

Al Davis abstained from loving tons of votes

Fine whatever, he told them to gently caress off in lots of different ways.

Jed is a bitch, Al would let the whole team come out and kneel and pay the fine just to piss off the league.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Philthy posted:

Aren't most NFL teams subsidized through the government, and have certain deals to be broadcast on national channels? Wouldn't this move this to a freedom of speech issue since the NFL and the teams are not privately owned outright, and granted government sponsored public rights for broadcasts and tax breaks?

I mean, Trump was even railing about this very fact that us tax payers are the ones propping up these teams, what a waste of money for people having free speech etc.

Some legal scholars (and by that I mean a published friend of mine) has solid arguments that NFL players are not private employees due to the massive federal funding etc. that the NFL receives.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Philthy posted:

It's not that everyone is bending over to Trump. The vast majority of the country hates the guy, thinks he's a corrupt joke.

It's just that the loudest, most performative subgroup of people are the die-hard Trump supporters. They are the ones who won't shut the gently caress up about how mad they are about whatever racial grievance issue was on Fox News that day, they are the ones that endlessly provoke fights over Trump things. At most, they're 5-10% of the population, but they won't shut up.

With things like the anthem, they are the ones pre-emptively causing fights. For example, this guy.

quote:

Lions fan no longer season ticket holder after racist post goes viral

By Natalie Broda, nbroda@digitalfirstmedia.com ,, @NatalieBroda on Twitter

POSTED: 09/14/17, 2:33 PM EDT | UPDATED: ON 09/17/2017 276 COMMENTS

After a photo containing a racial slur was posted to his Facebook page, one Pontiac business owner is no longer a Detroit Lions season ticket holder.

A representative for the Detroit Lions said on Thursday, Sept. 14 that the business owner is “no longer a season ticket holder and he is no longer coming to Lions games.”

David Doptis, owner of Restaurant Liquidations Auctions LLC in Pontiac, allegedly posted a photo of a woman and a man remaining seated during the national anthem at a recent Detroit Lions game. It read “Ignorant n-----s” over the picture, and was captioned with “You wana sit down for the national anthem? You dont like our country then get tge f--k outttt.”

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20170914/lions-fan-no-longer-season-ticket-holder-after-racist-post-goes-viral

Those people aren't going out of their way to yell at people. But the mad white people do.

Same thing happened at Red Wings games last year. A handful of drunken white guys (usually clad in Barstool shirts) yelling the n-word during the national anthem and yelling at people to stand up. They were kicked out immediately, protesting the whole way, that they should be allowed to do that, because they're Americans, drat it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/TDickman89/status/999355976749854729

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

5 yard penalty for ironically standing

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

A Man and his dog posted:

It was pretty funny when Brandon Weeden got trapped underneath the flag.

It was funny in the context of a grim future unfolding (quite literally) before us.

I was 4 rows up behind the bench and noticed him briefly panic as his utter lack of awareness as to the dozens of people unfurling a gigantic flag around him led to a really embarrassing moment. It made me wonder if this was a terrible omen vs. just opening day rookie starter nerves.

Then he followed it up with 4 loving interceptions. 12/35 passing and a superb 5.1 rating.

That game did feature the Trent Richardson Rule helmet to helmet hit as well.

Also, Vick went tit for tat with Weeds and dropped 4 INTS of his own. But he went 29/56 so he had a solid 51 rating.

It was one of the shittiest games I have seen in Cleveland, and I have seen a lot of lovely loving games. Both teams clearly had no desire to win or do anything and I hate everything about football since 1995.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I'm also quitting football, so that Trump's decades long vendetta against the NFL comes to fruition over a completely manufactured controversy

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Osama won.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

gently caress the flag.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

perfect

Chinatown posted:

Osama won.

absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
We're going to put an end to all this civil disobedience by even more clearly defining it to everyone as civil disobedience.

• Locked thread