Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You could have linked the music video, which is super on the nose with dancing sexy robots :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYPqA4slnbQ
:nws:ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My internet is better than it was last time people were talking about all-digital at the beginning of this gen, but if I buy a AAA game on Steam its still like "okay guess I'll get to play this in a day or two". They'll do a CoD free weekend and it would just be physically impossible for me to have it downloaded before it's over. And I know that at this point my internet is better than average so anyone talking about 100% digital is just dreaming.

+buying used games is good

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

beep by grandpa posted:

I've been talking with my girlfriend and I think we're ready for a second console (I'm hoping it's a Switch!). Things have been going great with our ps4 (just turned 4).

Switch is legit great and fills a different niche. A xbone would be redundant.

Also for a couple. Nintendo is still going hard with couch coop games when theres not much elsewhere. Ps4 + switch covers most modern gaming unless you really want to RTS or play old Halo's (lol).

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

spudsbuckley posted:

They're making a full game out of that cool robot platformer demo from the PSVR Playroom thing.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/05/23/astro-bot-rescue-mission-from-the-team-behind-the-playroom-is-coming-soon-to-ps-vr/

Awesome!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

beep by grandpa posted:

I've been talking with my girlfriend and I think we're ready for a second console (I'm hoping it's a Switch!). Things have been going great with our ps4 (just turned 4).

my gf and i have the ps4/switch combo and it is excellent

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's the clever name for a PS4 and a Switch like wii60 was last gen

acksplode
May 17, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I hope it's a Switch too, and it almost certainly will be, but you should still be emotionally prepared for the possibility of an Xbox. Just know that you won't be on your own, you'll have a community that supports you. It's possible for an Xbox to have a normal and happy life.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
pisswitch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

What's the clever name for a PS4 and a Switch like wii60 was last gen
PSwitch (pronounced piss witch)

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Wow 1000 posts. What did I miss?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Xbone's best exclusive by far is Rare Replay.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Aardark posted:

PSP GO was a decade ago.

That includes microtransactions, lootboxes and mobile games. video game content is not 'video games'

If you had a new graph that only tracked spending on actual games - and had a section to show how much of those digital purchases were 30gb+ games instead of DLC or smaller titles - it would look very different.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Over There posted:

Wow 1000 posts. What did I miss?

Ps4 at end of its life cycle. Unofficially officially. The end is nier

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I dunno where people are getting the idea that Sony'll go full digital when they tried it before with PSP GO and it was one of the biggest PlayStation failures they've ever had.

Digital only when you have to download things sounds like a terrible idea, considering that internet speeds fluctuate so much.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I never expected to be 100% digital but here we are.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kilometers Davis posted:

I never expected to be 100% digital but here we are.

same, but I would never go back.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I like physical to keep track of my backlog. It also forces me to finish a game before I go to the next cause I'm too lazy to switch the discs all the time. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Over There posted:

same, but I would never go back.

In 20 years I’ll still be buying vinyl though lol

I love physical things. Things that age and wear and develop sentimental feelings. But discs don’t really do it for me. Old worn out cases maybe but that’s not enough.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Aardark posted:

PSP GO was a decade ago.

PC has gone all digital and it's definitely pumping up those numbers. There's lots of people, like me, who would buy physical media on PC but it's just not an option.

Basically the PS4 has it perfect, if you want to buy nothing but digital you can, if you want to mix and match you can, who cares otherwise?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Ps4 at end of its life cycle. Unofficially officially. The end is nier

Ending G of Nier Automata 2 bricks your console and deletes your psn account

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I don't actually have any physical games for the ps4 and I find it very nice to not have a bunch of ugly (for some reason, video game covers always are) covers laying around to sort through.
But I don't see how all digital would be very benificial for a console maker. Alienating a huge portion of the market to save on disc drive costs? how expensive could those be?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Attitude Indicator posted:

But I don't see how all digital would be very benificial for a console maker.

I buy a $60 playstation game from best buy: $30 to Best Buy /$15 developer/$15 Sony

I buy a $60 playstation game digitally: $15 developer/$45 Sony

This is oversimplified and probably not at all an accurate representation of the split but you get the point

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Good luck on an all digital future with dead net neutrality.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Real hurthling! posted:

As long as future playstations debut at 399 xbox will never realistically be able to compete

I would have said the same thing at one point during the Xbox 360's life cycle about Microsoft and here we are. Sony has been killing it with exclusives, it's hard to imagine a situation where I don't own a PS5, but nothing is impossible. ( If Sony went digital only and if Microsoft somehow still stuck with physical would be one scenario. )

Sony is definitely not perfect, I'm still holding a grudge about them not offering refunds for the Marvel online game that didn't even survive a year on their store and Microsoft did give refunds. Sending discount codes to some people and not others is another thing that slowly is pissing me off because I've never got one. ( Yes I'm signed up for them.) My PS4 does not download updates in sleep mode even though I've checked to see if it's enabled numerous times.

These are all just nitpicky things and the most likely scenario if Microsoft did turn their poo poo around for next generation is I would own their console and Sony's rather than jumping ship from Sony. I guess all I'm saying is Microsoft could still turn things around and really it's best for everyone if they do.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 23, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Ending G of Nier Automata 2 bricks your console and deletes your psn account

So meta, would play

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I buy a $60 playstation game from best buy: $30 to Best Buy /$15 developer/$15 Sony

I buy a $60 playstation game digitally: $15 developer/$45 Sony

This is oversimplified and probably not at all an accurate representation of the split but you get the point

Gotcha.
Still doesn't seem like a good idea. If you limit the audience for the console, that will limit the audience for the games made, which will limit games made, which will limit profits, which will turn you into microsoft.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Go to live.playstation.com for a 20% off PSN coupon for watching a trailer for Detroit Become Human valid until May 31st

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

beep by grandpa posted:

You might need two

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gotcha.
Still doesn't seem like a good idea. If you limit the audience for the console, that will limit the audience for the games made, which will limit games made, which will limit profits, which will turn you into microsoft.

The calculations they have to do are whether the loss of that audience will be greater than the potentially tripled margin.

But there's also the possibility that stores will revolt and refuse to carry your hardware if you try to cut them out of the software gravy train.

The ideal situation might be to offer both physical copies and downloadables for whoever wants them. But even then stores might revolt over it.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Even if Sony does something stupid with the PS5 hardware itself, they'll still be fine due to the quality of their first-party studios and momentum from exclusive third-party series from the likes of Sega, Squenix and Atlus. When MS poo poo the bed on their first-party games with the Xbox One, they didn't have similar exclusives like FF, Yakuza or Persona to move systems.

I owned a 360 and looked for reasons to buy a One instead of a PS4, especially since I had a decent library of both 360 and One games (from XBL Gold), but their only interesting exclusives at this point are the Forza games.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

That's true, I guess Xbox 1 was comparably barren. Though by the end of it's lifecycle ps3 had a handful of good exclusives. Xbone has... Genuinely don't know.

For those wondering about good exclusives on XB—. Forza is good. Like really good. That’s all I can think of though - I don’t have have an XBone but do on occasion hang out with one for Forza.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

On PC I'm all digital all the way (even if you buy physical it's usually just a code in a box) but I guess I'm old fashioned in that I like to buy PS4 disk games. The digital store is so much more expensive than buying physical here in the UK, and I still like having a shelf full of games. The only time I buy digital on PS4 is if it's a game I want to remote play so I don't have to swap disks while I'm out of the country.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I buy physical versions if it's a one-and-done style game or something I really want on a shelf. I'll happily buy Yakuza games on disc but if I wanna get like the latest shooter or fighting game I'll just get it on digital.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I fear that the first console you ditch the optical drive is gonna be met with huge backlash and then even company will follow in its example, like Google getting rid of the stereo jack from its pixel 2 phone.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

curried lamb of God posted:

similar exclusives like FF

eh?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

gently caress, I ignored games for so long that I forgot FF isn't exclusive anymore

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

curried lamb of God posted:

gently caress, I ignored games for so long that I forgot FF isn't exclusive anymore

for like more than a decade lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I don't actually have any physical games for the ps4 and I find it very nice to not have a bunch of ugly (for some reason, video game covers always are) covers laying around to sort through.
But I don't see how all digital would be very benificial for a console maker. Alienating a huge portion of the market to save on disc drive costs? how expensive could those be?

It's less about the actual technology and more about how it'd put Sony in total control of the market for PS games and eliminate the used market. They'd literally be the only shop in town. We'd be buying ten-hour single player only games instead of redboxing them for a weekend. They could do Valve stuff and engineer sales that get people to build up backlogs of games they'll never play. They could sell the ads and promotions that make the online storefront so bad at a higher price. I'm digital only too because drat it's convenient, but I'm pretty much convinced that this is a matter of time. I'm waiting for the console where the disc drive is an expensive add-on that you plug into USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FF15 had exclusivity on the PS4 for over a year until Square finally got around to paying an intern to make another PC port.