Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Honestly most of my plays of Sakura Arms have been kind of uninteresting in comparison to how much I've enjoyed other fighting card games. The game feels to me to be a lot more about how you build your hand/draft rather than the actual play, and I don't find that as enjoyable. I like EXCEED/Yomes/bacon because they have set characters with set abilities and you know what you are going in for when you are facing them, rather than the 'let's see what my opponent drafted and if my cards can actually play around that' of sakura arms.

Also I'm getting Clash of Steel in soon so I'm interested in giving that a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So uh, anyone got a second copy of Exceed S2 they want to sell me? Or season 1 if it's a good deal.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I recently got a few friends into BattleCON, being pretty much a newbie myself. It's fun to finally have people to play against. I hope BattleCON Online doesn't just fizzle out, it'd be great to be able to play a match whenever I felt like. Maybe once it moves into beta or release (if it gets that far), it'll get a little more of a community in it.

... But probably not, sadly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's being actively developed and they're planning Steam and Android/iOS releases, so you're probably safe.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's being actively developed and they're planning Steam and Android/iOS releases, so you're probably safe.

Sadly that's not always a guarantee of a game retaining a community. But I hope it manages to be accessible enough to do so.

But hey, worst case scenario I'll get at least like a month of playing all sorts of people once it officially launches.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Had half a game where I played Renea vs Minato. I really liked Renea, especially cause pre-exceed you can be rather tricksy with her and I also loved doing called shot, which is one of my favourite attacks in season 2 so far. Minato seemed interesting with almost forcing you to race through your deck.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Sadly that's not always a guarantee of a game retaining a community. But I hope it manages to be accessible enough to do so.

But hey, worst case scenario I'll get at least like a month of playing all sorts of people once it officially launches.

If nothing else, goons will be playing this game. I will be playing it at least.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I sold off my physical collection a while ago, but I will absolutely play the digital version once it comes out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

https://www.level99games.com/blog/2018/4/21/a-legacy-question

They posted an interesting article on their site not too long ago about ideas regarding Legacy versions of some of their properties, and although I doubt they'd ever happen, I would loving love to see the legacy version of Argent he discusses.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

S.J. posted:

https://www.level99games.com/blog/2018/4/21/a-legacy-question

They posted an interesting article on their site not too long ago about ideas regarding Legacy versions of some of their properties, and although I doubt they'd ever happen, I would loving love to see the legacy version of Argent he discusses.

I would play the poo poo out of MB legacy, because as the article mentions, it lends itself to campaign play so well already. The rest don't sound as good, being too fiddly and too full of collection management (which is already a pain with some of their games).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Battlecon Legacy sounds like entirely too much to track as a regular board game, especially since you're communally building an entire set of fighters, but if there was a decent way to automate the bookkeeping I would be incredibly interested in it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Battlecon Legacy sounds like entirely too much to track as a regular board game, especially since you're communally building an entire set of fighters, but if there was a decent way to automate the bookkeeping I would be incredibly interested in it.

I would prefer they move Battlecon Legacy as a f2p campaign in the BCO app.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I already basically play with some of their MB legacy ideas:

Winner of the game has their starter deck banned
Losers of the game get to collectively pick a set to rotate out
Winner of the game gets to pick a set to rotate in.

I otherwise don't do anything with the store deck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I already basically play with some of their MB legacy ideas:

Winner of the game has their starter deck banned
Losers of the game get to collectively pick a set to rotate out
Winner of the game gets to pick a set to rotate in.

I otherwise don't do anything with the store deck.

All great ideas and I’m jealous you play enough to do this

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Does that not require a ton more searching and shuffling of the store deck?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Does that not require a ton more searching and shuffling of the store deck?

Only after the game. We do it in pack down so it's not too tedious to sort out the set to be removed.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

12 hours left on the L99 Train Game KS - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/empyreal-spells-and-steam-a-fantasy-railway-buildi/description

If you're in the US they have a crazy tier for everything Indines!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Zark the Damned posted:

12 hours left on the L99 Train Game KS - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/empyreal-spells-and-steam-a-fantasy-railway-buildi/description

If you're in the US they have a crazy tier for everything Indines!

I mean, it's not everything Indines. They didn't include Pixel Tactics, Disc Duelers, or 7 Card Slugfest. :goonsay:

(PT is ok but will probably be better as an iOS game, the other two were early kinda garbagey games and have been discontinued, so it's for the best.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently the last episode of L99's Podcast dropped a bunch of info about the Dev Remastered Kickstarter. Confirmed that there will be an upgrade kit for current owners, confirmed that there would be a Big Box storage solution called "Unleashed" that would come with tuckboxes and bases for War:Re and Fate.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

jivjov posted:

Apparently the last episode of L99's Podcast dropped a bunch of info about the Dev Remastered Kickstarter. Confirmed that there will be an upgrade kit for current owners, confirmed that there would be a Big Box storage solution called "Unleashed" that would come with tuckboxes and bases for War:Re and Fate.

He also said that he wants Unleashed to have a stretch goal at every 10k, with new characters being every 100k or so, and that it would be the final BattleCON kickstarter they ever do.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Gutter Owl posted:

(PT is ok but will probably be better as an iOS game, the other two were early kinda garbagey games and have been discontinued, so it's for the best.)

Yeah, Seven Card Slugfest struck me as a too light to play while sober, but that nobody could score it while drunk. So it goes. Great Fabio art, though.

I think if they were to do those styles of games they could do much better these days. They're fairly indicative of how much further they've come as a game company since then.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jivjov posted:

Oh man. I need this. So much.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Unleashed is just the name of the KS campaign, which will cover Devastation Remastered and Wanderers of Indines (plus the upgrade kits and storage solution already mentioned).

And yeah, it's the final BattleCON KS. :rip:

On the one hand, I'm a little sad that they're dropping BattleCON Kickstarters to focus on Kickstarting other stuff including Exceed, because I think Exceed isn't anywhere near as good a game as BattleCON. On the other hand, by the time Unleashed has run we'll have somewhere around 90 BattleCON characters and that's probably enough for the next couple of years.

It'd be nice if they released their card template InDesign files so we could make official-looking print and play kitsfor custom characters, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 4, 2018

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
It's kind of weird to be like "hey here's a massive kickstarter, come drop a bunch of money on this game we'll no longer be supporting".

On the other hand, I'm gonna.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
To be clear, they've only said they're not going to do any more BattleCON Kickstarters because they want to focus on KSing new stuff - I don't think they have any plans to drop support for BattleCON moving forward, they just won't be running any more crowdfunding campaigns for it.

We have no idea whether this means the next BattleCON box will be straight to retail because L99 are now financially secure enough to not have to KS every expansion for it, or whether it means we won't see any new BattleCON stuff for a little while while they focus on producing new games and IPs.

Personally, I'm hoping they use this as an excuse to print balance updates for War Remastered and Fate as an upgrade kit so we at least have a fully-balanced roster after Unleashed, but that's unlikely to happen.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 4, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, BattleCON Online will continue onward, and there can be smaller BattleCON releases (like smaller character releases or balancing packs or the like), but they won't go to Kickstarter. At least in theory.

In any case, there's no doubt going to be more to explore in the game for a long while- there's almost certainly variants that could be explored more deeply by fans. But the game has matured to the point where trying to keep a cast of hundreds balanced if is going to be problematic if you're going to do 10 or 16 character expansions. EXCEED, at least, can separate itself by "seasons" more cleanly for competition, but BattleCON remains a big all-inclusive sprawl of a game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Exceed seasons are supposed to all be balanced against each other, including season 3/4/etc. when those happen. It's eventually going to run in to the same problem.

The guy who runs BattleCON Sheets keeps a list of changes to balance characters from Dev/WarR/Fate (that was devised based on feedback from experienced regulars in the L99 discord, working with some of the actual BattleCON designers) and it's pretty great. BattleCON has the advantage that apart from a couple of characters from Devastation who need a new UA (Voco, Ottavia), balance changes are almost entirely about adjusting numbers up or down. The only actual limitation is having to print cards with the new stats.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Lemon-Lime posted:

On the other hand, by the time Unleashed has run we'll have somewhere around 90 BattleCON characters and that's probably enough for the next couple of years.

I don't know who originally said there should be 108, but there should be 108.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They also just said last week that Exceed season 3 will be straight to retail because the IP owner doesn’t want them doing Kickstarter.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Any word on what the IP is? I've heard Mortal Kombat, but I'm sure there are people here who can say definitively one way or the other.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Any word on what the IP is? I've heard Mortal Kombat, but I'm sure there are people here who can say definitively one way or the other.

The only thing that's been mentioned publicly about Exceed s03 is it's some kind of anime license.

MHA? DBZ because it's popular again? Saint Seiya (it's probably not Saint Seiya)? Who knows.

Personally, here's my speculation:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Exceed s03 will actually be Exceed: Gaucho Fusion, featuring the following characters:
  • Pointy Reflect, an ex-criminal turned bounty hunter, on the run after abandoning the Space Mafiyakuza life;
  • his partner, retired space cop Chopper White;
  • mysterious femme fatale Weird Christmas;
  • Schrödinger, the talking kitten kid genius hacker;
  • the mysterious assassin known only as "Nice," who seems to have some kind of history with Pointy;
  • Pagliacci, a deranged mutant clown killer;
  • Winner Backwaters, the last remaining mass-produced clone soldier, desperate for revenge over those who sent his clone siblings to die on the Moon;
  • Crying Seagull, an old shaman with precognitive powers.

PS: don't fish for information from people under NDA. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 4, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It took me a bit too long to get the joke.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone here played way of the fighter? How does it compare to bacon/exceed/yoki/sakura?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone here played way of the fighter? How does it compare to bacon/exceed/yoki/sakura?
I haven't played it, but when I had a look at it for the first kickstarter, it had some interesting mechanisms (high/low, hit zones, initiative system etc), but, in my opinion, was a bit weaker than the current offerings because, along with deciding what card you use for your attack/defence etc, you also had to choose and roll a number of dice, and you add the rolls to your priority to see who goes first. The reason behind the dice rolls was that it simulated reaction times etc. I don't think a random aspect really adds much to the genre, which is why I haven't backed either Way of the Fighter or the new Street Fighter Minis game.

Talking about non-L99 dueling games, I got Clash of Steel recently, which tries to simulate medieval 1v1 combat. I had a game of it and it is kind of interesting: you have stamina in the game, which is both a resource you need to use in order to perform your action (defend/attack/move) and also your life. You have options for items and ranges (with some weapons being better at certain ranges), stances and hitting high/mid/low, but ultimately the game boils down to stamina management. The stamina deck you have has 3 of each value from 1 to 5, so sometimes the best option is to send out a weak attack that uses a small amount of stamina so that you can get rid of your low-stamina cards. I think I need to investigate the game more and see how deep it actually is before I can give judgement on it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Exceed seasons are supposed to all be balanced against each other, including season 3/4/etc. when those happen. It's eventually going to run in to the same problem.

In theory, but from what I understand the focus is within the season first and then externally after that just to make sure it's not absurd. Season 1 already has some problems just because it was the first set and it was right before they started getting more rigorous about testing, so there are more obviously good / bad characters. So there are already some cracks, though nothing game-shattering outside of Alice. But I'm sure Andarel can talk more about it if he likes.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It would be cool if they could print a few updated cards with tweaks for the older seasons in a new season campaign.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It would be cool if they could print a few updated cards with tweaks for the older seasons in a new season campaign.

They’ve explicitly stated they do not intend to do remastered style balance patches for exceed seasons.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For Exceed season, the most rumors I've heard was taking the battle to the road. Otherwise I doubt Mortal Kombat since MK is fairly new for UFS.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Woo, boy. Ninja Division main games are all "this is an interesting idea that don't quite work" and Way of Fighter is part of that trend.
Imagine speed without stun guard.
Imagine the only way to draw cards is to get hit.

Okay, it is not quite that bad. It can feel very swingy though... you hit your opponent, who gets dice from taking damage, who uses the dice to roll better and hits you back.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

LordAba posted:

For Exceed season, the most rumors I've heard was taking the battle to the road. Otherwise I doubt Mortal Kombat since MK is fairly new for UFS.

Woo, boy. Ninja Division main games are all "this is an interesting idea that don't quite work" and Way of Fighter is part of that trend.
Imagine speed without stun guard.
Imagine the only way to draw cards is to get hit.

Okay, it is not quite that bad. It can feel very swingy though... you hit your opponent, who gets dice from taking damage, who uses the dice to roll better and hits you back.

It's got dice. The moment I saw that I was out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I played a bit of Dragon Ball FighterZ, and I've already played with reskinning in the past, so, consider the following. Replace Dash with Vanish.

Vanish
- / - / 3
This attack does not hit opponents.
Start of Beat: Lose 2 Force. If you do, move directly to the closest space behind your nearest opponent.

The wording might need help.