Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Harrow posted:

This reminds me: didn't the original Wolfenstein 3D have a weird-rear end mouse-based control scheme where you could move forward and backward by moving your mouse forward and backward? I remember my dad playing that game and just slamming the mouse forward over and over to move around. Maybe I'm making that up because it seems extremely uncomfortable but it's a very clear memory.

old fpses had that because the concept of aiming up and down didn't really exist so nobody knew what to do with moving the mouse forwards and backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

This reminds me: didn't the original Wolfenstein 3D have a weird-rear end mouse-based control scheme where you could move forward and backward by moving your mouse forward and backward? I remember my dad playing that game and just slamming the mouse forward over and over to move around. Maybe I'm making that up because it seems extremely uncomfortable but it's a very clear memory.
yeah that's how a lot of first person games controlled if you used a mouse, up until quake. they were designed to be played with keyboards but were like "well most people have mouses for spreadsheets and poo poo so maybe we should figure out how to use them for games"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure under a killing moon could be controlled like that too, which is an impressively bad idea for a point and click adventure game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

doom had this too, yeah. developers were only just starting to realize in the late 80's/early 90's that pc games could be controlled using the mouse and keyboard in tandem with each other, instead of only one at a time, which led to a lot of bizarre experimentation with what that entailed, winding up with stuff like this:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The old marathons had like torso twist, head twist, Head pitch etc all independent from leg movement and all on keyboard

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Final bird update: it left!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yeah crazy control schemes own

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

The old marathons had like torso twist, head twist, Head pitch etc all independent from leg movement and all on keyboard

Yeah, there were two "glance" buttons that would turn you 90 degrees in either direction faster than the normal turn key would. In theory you could use this to get an advantage in multiplayer, but I'm not sure anyone ever did. It was more useful in Pathways Into Darkness, where you moved and turned slower than a molasses glacier.

It also had godawful mouselook support, a tradition that is preserved in the open source project to this day.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 23, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't imagine not playing a game, any game without KBAM.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mordja posted:

i can, but only because some games end up having really lovely keyboard and mouse support

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mordja posted:

Racing games and arguably certain twin-stick shooters do better without.

That's basically it though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
For real, I've always felt the fine aim a mouse gives a twin-stick type game more than makes up for the slight loss of precision movement.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

3d platformers on Keyboard are hell

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

some twinstick games have the mouse simulate a virtual joystick instead of having cursor aim which feels crummy, is what i think he meant. nier automata in particular has 100% perfect mouse controls except for when it moves into a twinstick section, where it resets your aim due right during any fraction of a second that your mouse is not physically moving in a direction

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think you should play video games with a control method that feels comfortable to you personally

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Free 20% off in PSN store for watching a 3 min video

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/999364330658267136

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

some twinstick games have the mouse simulate a virtual joystick instead of having cursor aim which feels crummy, is what i think he meant. nier automata in particular has 100% perfect mouse controls except for when it moves into a twinstick section, where it resets your aim due right during any fraction of a second that your mouse is not physically moving in a direction

Pretty much. I say "arguably" because it's not hard to imagine these games with a cursor reticle like Nuclear Throne has (and being the better for it) but I can also imagine a game like that where precision movement does matter enough to want a controller (and unlike 3D platformers or FPSes or whatever, you can't fudge that precision in by using a combination of 8-way directional input + camera angle.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i think you should play video games with a control method that feels comfortable to you personally

It's not really about what the player does, it's about what developers do. If you design an FPS where precision aiming is difficult or impossible, it has major implications for how you do level design, weapon design, what kind of movement abilities are appropriate, and so on.

You can't do this with a gamepad. (An extreme example, but you get the general idea.) This means that, if you're developing an FPS for consoles, there's no reason to put the mechanics that enable that kind of gameplay in your game. Which in turn is a major contributor to the arena FPS all but dying out as a genre.

Shooters are probably the genre most affected by this, but how people physically interact with your game has similar implications for any game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tail Concerto:

You play a good cop dog who rides in a police mech in order to arrest kittens that are causing troubles. Also, he wears his cop hat backwards, just 'cause.

Solatorobo:

I look like a badass with my new longsword

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Then there was that one thing in Japan where one of the districts or whatever had a mascot for an emergency service where you'd get texted if there was an emergency and its mascot was an original character in the same universe as tail concerto and solatorobo iirc

I heard they're gonna make another game in that universe, I wonder if it'll be any good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Did I accidentally close this thread or did a mod close it on purpose?

Anyways, I think twitchy arena shooters died because the genre moved on and because it isn't what most people want therefore it isn't what makes money. It's not like there haven't been multiple attempts to bring them back but people just ignore it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Her loving glasses wouldn't even reach her eyes what an awful design that is making irrationally angry

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

Then there was that one thing in Japan where one of the districts or whatever had a mascot for an emergency service where you'd get texted if there was an emergency and its mascot was an original character in the same universe as tail concerto and solatorobo iirc

Yeah Mamoru-kun was some kind of public service mascot for a while???

I'd love a new good character 3D action platformer from those devs :)

The Solatorobo artist always sets up a huge booth at Japan's furry conventions. But ever since Kotobukiya ran out of their Tail Concerto/Solatorobo goods and declined to refresh their stock, those booths are the only place you're really able to buy physical prints of the soundtracks these days lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Did I accidentally close this thread or did a mod close it on purpose?

Anyways, I think twitchy arena shooters died because the genre moved on and because it isn't what most people want therefore it isn't what makes money. It's not like there haven't been multiple attempts to bring them back but people just ignore it

personally i don't even really see the phasing out of twitchy skill-based arena mp as the worst thing in the world cause if you really want it there are always dedicated communities for games like quake so it's not like anybody's really taken anything from you

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Her loving glasses wouldn't even reach her eyes what an awful design that is making irrationally angry

Maybe they're fake, or maybe they're just tiny spectacles

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's because they're wrong and have bad taste, OP

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I heard they're gonna make another game in that universe, I wonder if it'll be any good.

Yeah they announced it and like 3 other games in addition to some multimedia property all at once.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/04/cyberconnect2-president-hiroshi-matsuyama-talks-new-strategy-upcoming-project-tidbits/

quote:

The game is an action strategy RPG that focuses on 11 orphans who find a tank laying dormant under the village, which used to house ruins. The gameplay has management simulation aspects, where the characters need to be assigned to different roles, with some shooting and roguelike elements to the gameplay as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DLC Inc posted:

Free 20% off in PSN store for watching a 3 min video

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/999364330658267136

What should I use this on (I don't need GOW or any of the current Yakuza and LOL it's not going towards buying Detroit)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah Mamoru-kun was some kind of public service mascot for a while???

I forget if he was just an unused character for a video game repurposed or not but yeah.

It's like the Scruff McGruff stuff but Japanese

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

personally i don't even really see the phasing out of twitchy skill-based arena mp as the worst thing in the world cause if you really want it there are always dedicated communities for games like quake so it's not like anybody's really taken anything from you

Those dedicated communities also would refuse to play any modern attempts to make what they like anyway, so no major loss there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chumbler posted:

Those dedicated communities also would refuse to play any modern attempts to make what they like anyway, so no major loss there.

yeah, all those modern attempts to make what they like, for example...

wait a second :thunk:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

those booths are the only place you're really able to buy physical prints of the soundtracks these days lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJthgbSQqBY

What's a song like that doing in a game about uhh

whatever Solatorobo is about, idk. It has a dog in a mech and he has a gunblade

I don't actually know much about that game tbh. I'm more familiar with Tail Concerto, but only barely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

dude there have been like three attempts at old-school arena fps games within the last five years and none of them have made it super popular

i don't even dislike arena fps, though i kind of just prefer old-school fps singleplayer

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ultimately most people will play whatever's well-marketed, aesthetically pleasing, and that their friends are playing. I mean I probably put 300+ hours into Overwatch before I finally got sick of the game's big-picture design flaws, and I'm (obviously) pretty critical and picky about this sort of thing.

glam rock is still broadly correct that things get made based on the perception of what will make the most money, but "what will make the most money" is both a wildly subjective guessing game and also something where even a relatively small difference in popularity can have a massive, outsized influence on what does or doesn't get made

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i put three hours into bendoverwatch and it was fuckin awful

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Battefield V was revealed today in an awful interview format hosted by trevor noah. It was very hard to watch but it helped me get the baby to sleep. Not much new except players get launched by explosions and you have some construction abilities with the new toolbox item every player has

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, that's what Lawbreakers essentially was but also with team stuff

But there's other stuff like the rebooted version of both UT and Q3 and there's more indie stuff like Ratz Instagib, Toxikk and several other attempts that never gain any traction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Quake Champions, Lawbreakers, and the Unreal Tournament Alpha were all attempts at a newer arena shooter. Whether you like them or whether or not they were successful is another question. But all three of those games were definitely aiming at bringing the arena shooter into the modern era.

• Locked thread