Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Got a ton of people saying dump her you incredulous clod and hes like hrm, nah, gonna sleep on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My girlfriend[25f] mad at me [34m] for not giving her a gift for birthday. Should I just walk?

Is this the same lady that didn't get the reference when her boyfriend gave her a Simpsons gag gift as a joke before giving her a huge birthday vacation

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My girlfriend[25f] mad at me [34m] for not giving her a gift for birthday. Should I just walk?

How comfortable are you with never ever doing enough for the rest of your increasingly impoverished life?

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

3 years is when my weight started coming back, but it's also like when my life blew up so unsurprising. Life is still in shambles but I figure not being fat will make the shambles easier to deal with.

It helps, but prioritizing the "unfuck your life" part will make the whole thing much easier. Stress and a lovely life makes regressing back into old bad habits way too easy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

girl pants posted:

True story: I have a friend who, when he was in his 20s, hooked up a few times with a woman in her 70s that he met on Fetlife. He said she kept complaining about her kids and casually mentioning that she had these boxes that needed to be taken up to the attic. Cheaper than hiring a mover I guess.

Living the Ben Franklin-approved life.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

How comfortable are you with never ever doing enough for the rest of your increasingly impoverished life?

Enough that he didnt laugh in her goddamn face and enjoy Disney Land by himself

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Oh no, I'm quite aware. I'm a former fat person, and I hate this movement with a passion.

I’m a current fat person and I feel the same way.

E:fat jokes are funny :colbert:

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 23, 2018

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

taint toucher posted:

It helps, but prioritizing the "unfuck your life" part will make the whole thing much easier. Stress and a lovely life makes regressing back into old bad habits way too easy.

Unfortunately the main things loving my life right now are government processes (visas and immigration are a blast!) so those just take months and months and months to deal with. I have some big decisions to make but they're going to depend on which country/countries let me in/let me stay. My finances are also hosed but at any sort of reasonable plan for fixing that I'm 3 years out and I don't want to stay fat that long. Also my finances are hosed about 50% because of the expenses with the visa, and 50% because I just took my anger and frustration out on baguettes which adds up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Is it too late for me to jump in with “Fatula: Fed and Stuffing It”?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Interview with a vanpire

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
After finding out I [20F] had a boyfriend, my mom [53F] treats me as if I'm a disgusting person

quote:

Outside of calling me a whore and a lot of other verbal abuse, after finding out I had a boyfriend my mom treats me a lot different than she used to.

Whenever I come home and I go in the bathroom, she questions how many showers I took and why. If I just get out of a shower, she gives me a dirty look and tells me I just took a shower earlier today, why do I need to take one again, even if I didn't. She refuses to let me wash my clothes with everyone else's despite it saving water. She tells me I need to hand wash my underwear before I put it in the washer. She bleaches the bathtub after I use it. These are just the things that come to my head.

I had one boyfriend who I am not even seeing any longer as she made me break up with him, and she treats me like I'm some filthy std ridden person. I want to move out but because of our culture and religion, I feel a lot of guilt and shame doing so. Any advice is appreciated.

tldr; My mom acts like I'm disgusting because I had a boyfriend. She won't touch my clothes, bleaches the bathroom after I use it, and constantly questions how many showers I take.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

After finding out I [20F] had a boyfriend, my mom [53F] treats me as if I'm a disgusting person

I'm thinking maybe Mormon?

e: no comments or other posts from OP so :iiam:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 23, 2018

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

loquacius posted:

I'm thinking maybe Mormon?

I believe they're more likely to be a Moron

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

Mom crazy, so what

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hellblazer187 posted:

Unfortunately the main things loving my life right now are government processes (visas and immigration are a blast!) so those just take months and months and months to deal with. I have some big decisions to make but they're going to depend on which country/countries let me in/let me stay. My finances are also hosed but at any sort of reasonable plan for fixing that I'm 3 years out and I don't want to stay fat that long. Also my finances are hosed about 50% because of the expenses with the visa, and 50% because I just took my anger and frustration out on baguettes which adds up.
At least you know what the problems are! Having a goal to work on in the meantime might actually help with the stress of the other stuff, because you'll have something you can (hopefully) see improving in the meantime. Good luck!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It came from r/personalfinance

(CAN) I'm 17 years old, stranded in a rural home, taking care of dozens of animals on a $50 per week income, for an undetermined amount of time. I'm completely lost.

quote:

So, twelve days ago, my great-grandma had a stroke. My grandmother, my legal caregiver, went to the local hospital (a ripe two hour drive away) and has stayed there ever since to ensure that the doctors don't take her mom off life support. My aunt, my other caregiver, and her kids went with her.

So long story short, I'm home alone. I've been home alone for over ten days and have had to take care of the family's two sheep, two goats, five dogs, three cats, six large birds, dozens of chickens/ducks/quails/guineas, two horses, and a rabbit to boot

The people taking care of me don't know when they'll be home. They're not gonna let the doctors let my grandma die so they're gonna stay there until she dies naturally or recovers, which could be months. I've expressed my concerns through text and have only been met with "I don't knows" and the like. They've come home twice (for a couple hours) just to check on things but aren't making money themselves so they haven't been able to help.

I'm basically taking care of a house and all these animals alone at 17.

I'm not sure what to do. Eventually bills will start popping up and the animal are already low on food.

I have a weekly shift at McDonalds to fund myself, but in the area I live, the bus to town runs very rarely so taking full time hours isn't an easy solution.

I go to school as well since a school bus goes through my area. (though I'd be willing to drop out if needed)

TL;DR: Fending for myself, as well as dozens of farm animals, for an indeterminate I make almost no money and live in a rural area

How old is great grandma? How were those animals being cared for? Did she run a zoo? What is wrong with everyone in this story besides this poor kid?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why is it necessary to have so many people camped out in a hospital room for months to make sure the doctors don't pull the plug

Are they forming a human barricade in the hallway or what

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

loquacius posted:

Why is it necessary to have so many people camped out in a hospital room for months to make sure the doctors don't pull the plug

because then great grandma won't make it to a ripe old age of 98 while clinically brain dead which is very important somehow

Also haven't you heard of the death panels? Since Obama things have been hosed up

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

because then great grandma won't make it to a ripe old age of 98 while clinically brain dead which is very important somehow

Also haven't you heard of the death panels? Since Obama things have been hosed up

No, I (academically) understand the reason why the kind of people who have dozens of farm animals might want to send a single person to stand guard over the life-support machines, I just don't know why they need to send literally the entire family except this kid

e: also point of order it's Canada :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

loquacius posted:

No, I (academically) understand the reason why the kind of people who have dozens of farm animals might want to send a single person to stand guard over the life-support machines, I just don't know why they need to send literally the entire family except this kid

It sounds like several of the animals out rank him.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

loquacius posted:

Let the adults enjoy some vacation time away from work, sheesh.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

loquacius posted:

Let me translate that from country to real world:.

Grandma had a devastating strike with little chance of recovery and is in a coma. The medical staff have advised that keeping her on life support isn't a healthy long term option. However, we believe that doctors don't know nothing/JEEZUS will cure her so we're just going to watch the hospital desicrate a corpse for months until a combination of poor nutrition and an infection carry her off into the yonder.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I want someone to go rescue the drat kid, but also the animals. :(

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I want someone to go rescue the drat kid, but also the animals. :(

Has nobody suggested he should sell some of the animals to get some money?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

Grandma had a devastating strike with little chance of recovery and is in a coma. The medical staff have advised that keeping her on life support isn't a healthy long term option. However, we believe that doctors don't know nothing/JEEZUS will cure her so we're just going to watch the hospital desicrate a corpse for months until a combination of poor nutrition and an infection carry her off into the yonder.

The old country way used to be letting great gram die in bed, displaying her corpse on the kitchen table for a day or three and then throwing some dirt on her outside.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That idiot family is going to force orderlies to mash their great-grandma's chest into pulp rather than taking her off life support so she can die miserably if she's conscious or like ground up hamburger if she's not. Just as G-d intented.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

There are at least four people there, though (grandma, aunt, plural kids); do they need to form a complete prayer circle around her bed or Jesus won't hear them?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

There are at least four people there, though (grandma, aunt, plural kids); do they need to form a complete prayer circle around her bed or Jesus won't hear them?

I'm sorry but when granny goes to the hospital you have to all mill around the place staring at her and making sure the nurses don't steal her rings.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Some families feel that someone absolutely needs to be in the room when a family member passes so that they don't die alone. It's a 24/7 death watch in the hospital.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This reply makes a lot of sense to me.

quote:

Man, I have dealt with some crazy rear end families.

Me: “Grandma is totally brain dead, has no reflexes, and will die the second I turn off these vasoactive medications or the ventilator”

Family: “So she is going to be okay?”

These are often the families who REFUSE to stop futile treatment. It is not out of the realm of possibility that grandma is so sick that doctors have pushed them hard to stop supportive measures, and the family has interpreted this as the doctors will kill granny if we aren’t here at all times.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

La Brea Carpet posted:

Has nobody suggested he should sell some of the animals to get some money?

I bet he could get some magic beans for the goat.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

We have to leave someone behind to mind the zoo. The best choice is a Literal Child.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Also I'm going to hazard a guess that this teen is not prepared to negotiate the sale of livestock.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Look it's either sell some livestock or use the livestock to feed yourself.

The kid might get screwed in a livestock deal but at least he won't get a parasite.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Check out Brianna Wayne here:

My [23 F] friend [26 F] was cheated on, and now she's outing as many cheaters as she can find. I'm worried it's not healthy for her.

quote:

u/Worr1edboutmyfriendd
My friend Julie was cheated on in her last relationship. It hit her hard, they were engaged, she could see a life with this guy and then she found out he'd been loving his intern at work.

I encouraged her to get on Tinder, get over him, etc. She did get on Tinder and has been on a few dates. But last week, I was hanging out with her, and she told me something...

She always looks up people she matches with on tinder, to make sure they're real, it's not some sketchy con or catfish. That's pretty normal, I do the same for people I intend to meet with.

Anyway, she's found a number of her matches on social media just to see they're taken. Every time, she tracks down their girlfriend's contact info and sends them evidence of their boyfriend or husband cheating. Tinder screenshots, conversation screenshots, etc.

I still thought that wasn't too bad, it seems like the morally right thing to do. I just told her that I was concerned that it wasn't helping her get over her ex, since she had cheaters on her mind so much.

We talked again a few weeks later, and from what she said, it sounds like she's spending more time on Tinder outing cheaters than anything else. No longer just doing it when she happens upon one, but actually seeking them out.

She turned her age preferences way up to catch old married dudes, and when she does find someone with a girlfriend or wife on social media, she will turn the conversation with the guy sexual to collect even more "evidence" to share. Acting like she's going to have sex with him, asking about his past hookups, etc.

She hasn't met up with anyone or had any conversations on Tinder with guys she actually likes.

Morality of all this aside, I'm really concerned this isn't healthy for her, and it isn't helping her get past the betrayal from her ex. I thought getting on tinder would be good for her, she could find a fun rebound or something, but now I regret suggesting it.

Is this really as unhealthy as it looks, or could it maybe be helping her work through her feelings?

I want to help her the best I can, but I don't know how. She's still so hurt by her ex cheating.

TLDR - My friend broke off her engagement when she discovered her ex was cheating. I suggested she have some fun on Tinder to get over him, but she's started using Tinder just to find cheaters and out them. I'm worried this is unhealthy for her, and making it harder for her to move past her breakup.

Edit - She es a fake tinder profile for this now, and a fake Facebook profile. So I'm not super worried about her being tracked down now

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Why do people think casual sex is the remedy for being cheated on

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
that girl rules and OP is a pathetic wimp for having a problem with it at all

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Milotic posted:

My [23 F] friend [26 F] was cheated on, and now she's outing as many cheaters as she can find. I'm worried it's not healthy for her.
Julie is :krad:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Milotic posted:

This is morally correct but also incredibly unhealthy yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The problem is ideating and obsessing over the manner in which you were hurt doesn't actually heal you even if it's cathartic. It's pretty clear you ought to be concerned for a friend who's chosen that path rather then goading them into going deeper so you can watch them self-destruct in an entertaining fashion.