Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Or a large intestine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
So I decided that I needed a mechanical cart so I could zip around at 100 mph shooting lasers and laugh at all the stupid roadkill monsters. So I gave Expert mode another try after giving up several times because it can be pretty exhausting.

Millions of hours later I now have the mechanical cart and while the disappointment isn’t on par with for example any Alien movie after the second it’s pretty underwhelming.

For one thing 100 mph is pretty fast but it surpasses the monster spawning range/rate. So I hit no loving monsters.

Second problem is you get it after the tele-porters become available and so have already wired the whole godamned world to get anywhere anytime instantly.

Even if those two things weren’t issues, the third problem is building a rail tunnel on hard mode Expert is tedious as hell.

Maybe it would be useful against Expert moonlord? Not sure if I’m motivated now though.

At least the demon heart is great, that extra slot is bananas.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I usually just use Cosmic Car Key for Moonlord. It's fast enough and you're not limited to moving in one direction.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

FirstAidKite posted:

Terraria 2 should steal from Myst because Myst is good and the idea being Myst and the books is super rad and fits in very well with these kinds of games.

I completely agree why is there not one of these buildy sandbox games with linking books yet.

Tollymain posted:

i would do violence for a myst-licensed terraria-like

Only if Rand Miller and Richard Watson don't try to actually implement the Art though. You know those two are nuts enough to try. (the original plans for Uru anyone?)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

Maybe it would be useful against Expert moonlord? Not sure if I’m motivated now though.

dis astranagant posted:

I usually just use Cosmic Car Key for Moonlord. It's fast enough and you're not limited to moving in one direction.

I like the mechanical cart because it makes it pretty brainless to cheese. Just do a skyrail end to end with bumpers at each end and then you can just focus on aiming behind you at the Moon Lord, never have to worry about controlling your direction at all.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Anyone have a trip report on Antiaris yet? Considering a new game with Thorium and Calamity and might try Antiaris to see if the creator has indeed learned to edit and put quality over quantity. I like the idea of the guide having a house, I will say. Always seemed odd to just find that fool just wandering around the woods ready to be savaged. Some guide he is.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My eyes are still rolling since reading about spell failure chance in the that mod.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

graynull posted:

Anyone have a trip report on Antiaris yet? Considering a new game with Thorium and Calamity and might try Antiaris to see if the creator has indeed learned to edit and put quality over quantity. I like the idea of the guide having a house, I will say. Always seemed odd to just find that fool just wandering around the woods ready to be savaged. Some guide he is.

I'm in the early days of a playthrough I rigged up to test a bunch of these up-and-comer content mods. I have Antiaris, Elements Unbound, that sorta stuff. I'll let you know how I feel about them once I get a bit later on, but early impressions is that the Tremor guys are still lying and being content creepy as gently caress, but at least the content creep is higher quality than stuff like that loving corn from Tremor.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Found this while browsing the Terraria subreddit. This appears to be a preview for the next Terraria update showing off a new... feature.

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagra...551324160_n.mp4

So that's a thing, I guess.

NPCs can use the toilets now! Yay?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The fluorescent lights at the top are a nice touch, you gotta admit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

that's not how a toilet works

that's extremely not how a toilet works

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

not how yours works maybe

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's basically the opposite of how a toilet works

Terraria's tone has always struck me as really bizarre. It seems so bright and soft edged and fluffy 95% of the time, but then you get bloody chunks flying everywhere, boss designs like an edgy teenager scrawled them on a notebook cover, and some really loving bad period jokes coming out of left field.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The developers are just playing around which is fine, it doesn't make much difference to gamers because hypersensitivity to gore is kind of a thing of the past

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a humorous lead-in to NPC management, like providing functioning toilets. That toilet clearly isn't hooked up to a sewer line or placed above a pit like an outhouse.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Man, if they want me to build functioning houses instead of a floating tower of cubicles for my NPCs they need to make it so NPCs on ground level don't get murderized in hard mode by every invasion event.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

That's basically the opposite of how a toilet works

Terraria's tone has always struck me as really bizarre. It seems so bright and soft edged and fluffy 95% of the time, but then you get bloody chunks flying everywhere, boss designs like an edgy teenager scrawled them on a notebook cover, and some really loving bad period jokes coming out of left field.

I mean, there are bags of piss spraying piss at you in hard mode, and then you can have a piss staff.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Can you wire up the toilets to activate something when the NPCs use it?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
What's the bet that the turds are a throwable weapon?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I Said No posted:

What's the bet that the turds are a throwable weapon?

Crafting material; I called it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Ammo for a turd gun.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Turd In A Jar for some tornadic turd jumps

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Monkey-themed jungle outfit that grants a big set bonus to throwing poo, named the Dung-Fu Uniform

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I love Terraria.

It's a good game.

When is the update?

Why does it take them 2 years to update a pixel game?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

grimcreaper posted:

I love Terraria.

It's a good game.

When is the update?

Why does it take them 2 years to update a pixel game?

Entitlement much? :P The game released officially years ago and the devs are under no obligation to release any more updates for it. Any future Terraria expansions will release if and when the devs decide they're ready.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ambaire posted:

Entitlement much? :P The game released officially years ago and the devs are under no obligation to release any more updates for it. Any future Terraria expansions will release if and when the devs decide they're ready.
You need Jesus

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

In less kind words, yeah, at this point we are loving lucky as hell to be getting any updates at all, so the wait is worth it. They’re slow sure steady ones, for free, almost a decade after release. Like by developer love and policy alone this earns one in my Top 5 All Time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Black August posted:

In less kind words, yeah, at this point we are loving lucky as hell to be getting any updates at all, so the wait is worth it. They’re slow sure steady ones, for free, almost a decade after release. Like by developer love and policy alone this earns one in my Top 5 All Time.
They tried to do Terraria 2, but the basic game still has room to grow. Whatever development team they tried to pull away to do that should be filtering back in to provide more updates.

Terraria is still the best terraria-like game out there. Started off as a 2D indy Minecraft and it's still got legs to stand on so introducing more content wouldn't hurt it at all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

They tried to do Terraria 2, but the basic game still has room to grow. Whatever development team they tried to pull away to do that should be filtering back in to provide more updates.

Terraria is still the best terraria-like game out there. Started off as a 2D indy Minecraft and it's still got legs to stand on so introducing more content wouldn't hurt it at all.

No they didn't. Terraria 2 thus far hasn't made it past Red's feature wishlist and a little bit of tech. Otherworld was something else entirely, even if it did wind up eating more time from the main team than they ever intended.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 24, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does terraria really make enough sales to keep one guy going for the better part of a decade?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I mean it's sold like 20 million copies, so probably

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

I mean it's sold like 20 million copies, so probably

sweet lord, I knew it was successful, not that successful. Good on them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

double nine posted:

At least half of them are since the 3DS release. It's not just successful, it's still growing. I'm guessing 1.3.6 isn't happening til after the Switch release later this year.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 24, 2018

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

double nine posted:

Yeah, last year it still made the top 100 steam games sold by gross revenue

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2017_best_sellers/

Which at $10 a pop and possibly less because of the packaged deal(also not sure if it goes on sale a whole lot) is pretty amazing when it starts rivaling newer triple a titles that are $60 and have a bunch of dlc.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Terraria is by far the best $15 I've ever spent in gaming, and likely will remain so for a long time to come. The only other thing that comes close is my original box copy of Civ2 that I still play from time to time. Really excited that the game is getting at least one more update.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Wyvernil posted:

Found this while browsing the Terraria subreddit. This appears to be a preview for the next Terraria update showing off a new... feature.

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagra...551324160_n.mp4

So that's a thing, I guess.

NPCs can use the toilets now! Yay?

code:
New music track inspired by Winnie the Pooh.
:shepface:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Not that he hasn't made a loving packet, but I've always admired Red for saying that he made a game that brought him millions of pounds, and he keeps expanding on it without asking for more money (that he could make easily and in quantity) because he loves his creation. I can respect that.

I'm going to get some serious loving heat in this thread, but that twat Notch always struck me as someone who was just looking to sell out and justify it later, and he sure did.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
He sure did.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Terraria's base game is definitely a full fledged experience.

Minecraft base game? Ehhhh. Modded minecraft is definitely a helluva ride though even with all the shenanigans it's gone through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dumb Lowtax posted:

He sure did.

I'm not sure how you meant this parroting of my last few words, but I will go on record as saying that I do not respect nor admire the wealthy or the hollow and miserable pursuit of wealth. My impression from the start is that Notch was always in it for the money, made a ton of it, and then sold out and made even more because it was never about the art of his creation, just the number of zeros. Red strikes me as someone who wanted to make A Fun Thing, did it, and then made way more dosh than he expected. Realising that a few million quid (pounds) should last him and his family a dozen lifetimes or so, he set about making A Fun Thing even better without expecting even more.