Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

spectralent posted:

I particularly love the one at the top complaining about people with DEGREES!!! Behold, BsCgeddon hath come.

Not only that, but people with degrees telling a business how they can make more money! By increasing the customer base! With people who are NOT THE POSTER'S DEMOGRAPHIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tizzy:

Grog tears are tasty and all, but there's just this special sort of flavor to the ones that reveal their social anxiety over not being the exclusive key demographic for the capitalist enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

He also turned out to be a rapist.

And let's not even get into the rpg he wrote Beast: the Primordial, aka Abuse: the Excusing.

That was Matt McFarland, in both cases.

And I'm pretty sure you knew that already, so I don't know why you idiots keep doing poo poo like this, and then get pissy at me for bringing up assholes like Aatrek ad nauseum for cheap points.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What in the.... The Spawn guy is a rapist? Cripes.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You’re thinking of Todd McFarlane.

...unless that was a bad joke.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
The 40K universe is full of satire still and there is a lot of it. They post this every week:

https://regimental-standard.com

Which is basically in-universe propaganda showing the drudgery of the average soldier.

30K novels often highlight how different and removed the Space Marines are from those they’re trying to protect, and how limiting their rampant and unquestioning xenophobia and following of the Emperor’s decree can be. 40K novels often show the effect of dogmatic adherence.

Yes, Space Marines are pushed as these amazing warriors, but there’s a lot of different stories and fiction and tidbits, and it’s not all uniform in tone.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Desiden posted:

Not only that, but people with degrees telling a business how they can make more money! By increasing the customer base! With people who are NOT THE POSTER'S DEMOGRAPHIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tizzy:

Grog tears are tasty and all, but there's just this special sort of flavor to the ones that reveal their social anxiety over not being the exclusive key demographic for the capitalist enterprise.

I always love the twenty-direction input combo of "companies should be free to do whatever they want without SJW shill cuck tyranny" and "companies should not be free to change in any way because all companies should remain as I remember them from when I was twelve", personally.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Yeah, it's pretty much 100% this.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I, for one, am able to cope by claiming the people I hate are rapists.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

spectralent posted:

I always love the twenty-direction input combo of "companies should be free to do whatever they want without SJW shill cuck tyranny" and "companies should not be free to change in any way because all companies should remain as I remember them from when I was twelve", personally.

That comes from the fact that they're so diluted they think everyone, including the company, are only doing this because they're being forced by gunpoint to agree with this thing and that everyone actually agrees with them. They actually believe that the entire world is being controlled by "SJW" and people are only acting this way because they're being forced to and that, sans this control, they would all act like them.

They think this because of right-wing media in America and Britain and in a few countries actually actively promote this idea. You see this for example with Fox News which claims that their version of the news is real and everyone else is spinning it, which is the opposite of the truth because they're the ones who are actually spinning it.

So they can think both those thoughts because they believe that they are liberating people from coercion, when actually they're trying to coerce people to believe regressive views.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Covok posted:

they're so diluted

Oh great, grog homeopathy.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

You see this for example with Fox News which claims that their version of the news is real and everyone else is spinning it, which is the opposite of the truth because they're the ones who are actually spinning it.

Everyone, everywhere is spinning it and Hideo Kojima was right about everything in Metal Gear Solid 2.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh great, grog homeopathy.

That's an amazing typo.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

spectralent posted:

That's not been anything like Warhammer 40k for decades.

It's still there in places - I've recently been reading one of the Caiaphas Cain novels. Of course that might be about the only place it's left that's still being published.

quote:

Also orcs are "soccer" hooligans; their influence is the 80s british football holigan scene which was rather... intense. Unless you mean blood bowl I guess.

Orcs are football hooligans - I'm a Brit. Football is soccer unless another version is specified.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

neonchameleon posted:

Orcs are football hooligans - I'm a Brit. Football is soccer unless another version is specified.
The correct spelling of american football is FOOTBAW!!

Yes, the caps lock is important. :colbert:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Yawgmoth posted:

FOOBAW

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Everyone, everywhere is spinning it and Hideo Kojima was right about everything in Metal Gear Solid 2.

one nice thing about our terrible present is how reevaluation of mgs2 has redeemed it in a lot of people's eyes when for the longest time it was just 'that really confusing one where you didn't get to play as snake'

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay are there any interesting magical school style RPGs out there other than Breakfast Cult?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Witch Girl Adventures

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

S.J. posted:

Okay are there any interesting magical school style RPGs out there other than Breakfast Cult?

Pigsmoke, though it's about playing magical school -faculty-, not students.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

unseenlibrarian posted:

Pigsmoke, though it's about playing magical school -faculty-, not students.

That's cool too! Thanks.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

S.J. posted:

There's that Magicians RPG, which was sorta once based on Grossman's book series but not anymore.

I heard it also teaches you Korean.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's possible to turn Monsters and Other Childish Things into a game set at a magical school

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Since we're on RPGchat, are there any RPGs (or supplements) that have a strong Dying Earth sort of vibe? I kinda just recently got into Dying Earth stuff and I think it would be a fun setting to play. I'm considering putting together a setting with my regular group in any case.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MockingQuantum posted:

Since we're on RPGchat, are there any RPGs (or supplements) that have a strong Dying Earth sort of vibe? I kinda just recently got into Dying Earth stuff and I think it would be a fun setting to play. I'm considering putting together a setting with my regular group in any case.

The Dying Earth RPG, maybe?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MockingQuantum posted:

Gamma World.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Yawgmoth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1KPQmdddY

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

The Dying Earth RPG, maybe?

Whoops, forgot to say, we looked at the quickstart for that and the group wasn't really crazy about the system or terminology, eyes started to glaze when we hit the term "efficacious blandishment," that sort of thing is cute and characterful but was common enough that it kind of got wearisome as we were digging through the rules. I get why it's there though, it does kind of capture the feeling of the stories pretty well, I'm just not crazy when RPG systems draw too much attention to their own set of terminology.I couldn't tell you why but none of the stuff we've tried from Pelgrane has really caught on with my group, too.

I do think in general the group may have a different idea of what they want that isn't strictly-speaking "dying earth" style fantasy, I think only a couple of us have read any of the Jack Vance stuff. I guess "far future science fantasy" might be a better descriptor, like something between Dying Earth and Dune. Magic meets broken down technology meets after-the-end entropy weirdness.

I'm not even sure myself what the hell it should be, thus my being inclined to just roll my own setting for an existing ruleset.

I'd be so down for this. Not necessarily the flavor we're looking for but goddamn if it isn't fun to roll for random mutations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

MockingQuantum posted:

Into the Odd and its excellent support blog at http://soogagames.blogspot.co.nz/ nails this feel in a way that actually feels playable for me. Dying Earth the RPG ... didn't.

Further afield I have also played in Apocalypse World oneshots that have this vibe too. Fantasy as far-future wreckage of lost civilisation is a perfectly reasonable apocalypse.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

MockingQuantum posted:

Other than the actual Dying Earth RPG, there's Chronicles of the Future Earth for BRP. An official Dying Earth supplement for DCC (Dungeon Crawl Classics) is presumably somewhere in the works.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd be so down for this. Not necessarily the flavor we're looking for but goddamn if it isn't fun to roll for random mutations.

I'll second Gamma World, the one based on D&D 4E is actually really quick to dive into and it's easy to go all in on the weirdness. Numenera is on paper the sort of thing you're looking for but in practice it's an extremely dull and unambitious game that basically retreads D&D because that's all Monte Cook knows how to make and it doesn't do anything interesting with the premise.

If you're willing to go more on the sci-fi end of things Fragged Empire is a post-post-apocalypse science fiction setting where everyone is a member of one of several genetically engineered servitor races created by a previous generation of genetically engineered races to fight wars for them. The people who created you are dead. The people who created them are dead (humans). Now it's up to you to actually try and create something like a culture for yourself now that you're free to be your own people. There's also Legacy: Life Among the Ruins which is a PbtA generational game about playing scions of various factions in a sci-fi post apocalypse setting that's weird enough to have aliens and kaiju and such, if that sounds like your jam.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

I, for one, am able to cope by claiming the people I hate are rapists.

:chanpop:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

You act like this is something apparently abnormal here.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

neonchameleon posted:

It's still there in places - I've recently been reading one of the Caiaphas Cain novels. Of course that might be about the only place it's left that's still being published.

Okay then I'm confused why you specified American football when they're really obviously british football hooligans (right down to having a section of them that're skinhead style fascists the rest of them think are wankers)?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

spectralent posted:

Okay then I'm confused why you specified American football when they're really obviously british football hooligans (right down to having a section of them that're skinhead style fascists the rest of them think are wankers)?

Because Bloodbowl isn't football, it's American football.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Because Bloodbowl isn't football, it's American football.

Couldn't it be rugby?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LatwPIAT posted:

Couldn't it be rugby?

No.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Blood Bowl is very specifically a parody of the British view of American football.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LatwPIAT posted:

Couldn't it be rugby?
Not with 11 men, no ruck, no scrum, and forward passing, no.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Halloween Jack posted:

Not with 11 men, no ruck, no scrum, and forward passing, no.

So you’re saying there’s a chance...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I so don't want to see GW try to write mechanics for adjudicating a scrum

Considering the World Rugby Board doesn't exactly do a bang up job