Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

I fear that the first console you ditch the optical drive is gonna be met with huge backlash and then even company will follow in its example, like Google getting rid of the stereo jack from its pixel 2 phone.

The MacBook Air got poo poo on for not having an optical drive and now it's rare for a non-gaming non-business laptop to have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
we're probably going to see more people going digital with the death of Best Buy GCU and Prime reducing its benefits

good thing I still have GCU for another 23 months

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

FF15 had exclusivity on the PS4 for over a year until Square finally got around to paying an intern to make another PC port.

It was on Xbox One same day as PS4

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would miss the disc drive on a PS5 as much as I miss the headphone jack on my iPhone.

bye bitch

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It was on Xbox One same day as PS4

Wow, I had no idea. How many people do you think actually bought FF15 on an XBox.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The MacBook Air got poo poo on for not having an optical drive and now it's rare for a non-gaming non-business laptop to have one

Yeah, that's probably how it'll happen with consoles too. Apple wanted $99 for their optical drive but Sony can easily undercut that. The PS5 will come out in a $399 version with an UltraHD or whatever drive and a $349 version without. Or they'll both be $399 and you can choose between an optical drive and a larger HD.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

my gf and i have the ps4/switch combo and it is excellent

Can confirm. When we upgraded to the Pro I gave my wife my OG PS4 and we currently share the Switch and a PC. My wife is primarily a PC gamer, I primarily game on PS4 so it works for us. This basically guarantees that every exclusive of note will be available to us.

I do want Microsoft to put up a fight this E3 and to give me a reason to actually be interested in an Xbone again. So far the only games I really wanna play on it are Sunset Overdrive (which may be coming to PC?) and Rare Replay. During the PS2/GC/OG Xbox days the PS2 was my primary console, but I loved the OG Xbox for stuff like Shenmue II, JSRF, KOTOR, DOA3 and Fable. When 360 came around it’s like they completely lost interest in those sorts of games. I had a 360 for a while before I got a PS3 and it was around the time that they began to focus on Kinect and stopped making exclusives that I went back to Sony again and I haven’t been given a reason to look back.

Edit: Squenix still does some stuff as Sony console exclusive (for now). WoFF and FFXIV are a couple examples. They wanted to bring FFXIV to Xbox but Microsoft will not allow it to be separate from the XBL paywall.

Morby fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 23, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I'm never ditching physical media because Gamefly is still the best way to play the 90% of games that are "beat once then be done with forever"

cubicle gangster posted:

It's amazing how someone saying 'the ps4 is nearing the final phase of it's life cycle' - meaning it is begining to enter it's last act, a block of time which could last until 2-3 years from now, can be interpreted as 'The ps4 is at the end of it's life'

I mean jesus, even if they were going to announce the PS5 at E3, and they aren't, when would it come out, like, Fall 2019?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

acksplode posted:

It's less about the actual technology and more about how it'd put Sony in total control of the market for PS games and eliminate the used market. They'd literally be the only shop in town. We'd be buying ten-hour single player only games instead of redboxing them for a weekend. They could do Valve stuff and engineer sales that get people to build up backlogs of games they'll never play. They could sell the ads and promotions that make the online storefront so bad at a higher price. I'm digital only too because drat it's convenient, but I'm pretty much convinced that this is a matter of time. I'm waiting for the console where the disc drive is an expensive add-on that you plug into USB.

yeah, makes sense that having a monopoly on game sales would be in sonys benefit. But only if you have a base to sell to. It would be interesting to see how many units a potential digital only PS would sell.
And I think you're completely right, it's only a matter of time.

exquisite tea posted:

Wow, I had no idea. How many people do you think actually bought FF15 on an XBox.

20% of FF15 sales were on xbox, in 2016, according to google. That's.... way more then i expected.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Dehry posted:

Go to live.playstation.com for a 20% off PSN coupon for watching a trailer for Detroit Become Human valid until May 31st

Thank you for this, I have been hovering over the buy button of a digital copy of god of war for the last week. Came to terms with the fact disk versions are out of stock everywhere and this is one of those where the price probably aint going to drop much at all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

cubicle gangster posted:

Thank you for this, I have been hovering over the buy button of a digital copy of god of war for the last week. Came to terms with the fact disk versions are out of stock everywhere and this is one of those where the price probably aint going to drop much at all.

Jump

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

EA said no premium pass on BFV. All maps will be free. I almost can't believe EA listened.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Housh posted:

EA said no premium pass on BFV. All maps will be free. I almost can't believe EA listened.

The game has a heavy customization focus so get ready for lootboxes to unlock Nazi helmets.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I have zero problem with Sony offering a digital only PS4 or optional digital only PS5 as long as there's still physical media, even if I had to pay $50-$100 more for a PS5 with the optical drive.

I realize I go through extra effort and jump through some hoops, but a $60 physical copy of a brand new game costs me on average $15-20 after discounts and selling it when I'm finished. A $60 dollar digital game costs me $60 dollars. I'm never going to go digital only unless forced, in which my buying habits will change and I'll either stick with PC gaming/Nintendo or start only buying things on sale.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Housh posted:

Didn't they do the same thing with Battlefront 2

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Bombadilillo posted:

If ps5 is just a more powerful console that does nothing different it would just be great. They'll find a way to gently caress it up though. I'm personally worried about a kinect style VR push.

Speaking of which, how likely is it that the current PSVR will work on the PS5?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Base game and everything else for $60 + cosmetic loot boxes is the god tier combo for me. Definitely buying BFV.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcbexx posted:

We can only guess right now, so I'll say... maybe

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

I did just before I wrote that post, it's already downloading!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You might need two

This is probably true Btw I got to play super Mario odyssey for 22 hrs and since I bought breath of the wild I haven't touched it bc my gf has sunk in like 500 hrs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mcbexx posted:

There's no way to guess. Current PSVR with significant more horsepower behind it would be a big improvement by itself, but Sony could also take the opportunity to address deficiencies in the controllers (could be compatible with existing gear) and the motion tracking system (would require everything to be replaced).

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

This is probably true Btw I got to play super Mario odyssey for 22 hrs and since I bought breath of the wild I haven't touched it bc my gf has sunk in like 500 hrs

We will probably get another Switch for Animal Crossing. Really hoping Nintendo announces a real Animal Crossing at E3.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Wow The Lost Legacy looks insanely good in game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dehry posted:

Go to live.playstation.com for a 20% off PSN coupon for watching a trailer for Detroit Become Human valid until May 31st

Hell yeah, thanks! Wipeout VR here I come. :toot:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Review embargo on Detroit is a day before release. Is that concerning at all, or is that normal?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Steve Yun posted:

Review embargo on Detroit is a day before release. Is that concerning at all, or is that normal?

Sony was so confident about God of War they lifted embargo two weeks ahead of time

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

A bad sign, but not universal. DOOM famously had an embargo until launch and was GOTY contender. So?!?!

Lol wait for reviews/rent a cage game though drat.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's so loving weird to me that anyone would pay $60 for an eight hour CYOA visual novel review embargo or no, and this is from someone who genuinely liked Beyond Two Souls

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Does someone have a link to the 20% off coupon for watching the Detroit trailer?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Beastie posted:

Does someone have a link to the 20% off coupon for watching the Detroit trailer?

It's weird, you have to go to live.playstation.com, log in, click on 'quests' on the bottom right then click on the 'quest' to watch the trailer for a 20% code. Just watching it without clicking that link doesn't work.

I listened to David Cage ramble for ten minutes for nothing before I realized it :argh:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The "end of lifecycle" kerfuffle reminds me of how, around our mid-twenties, the number of new cells produced in our bodies begins to be outnumbered by dying cells so even though it takes a long time it's kind of like we start dying once we

Lobok posted:

around our mid-twenties we start dying

"Holy poo poo Lobok just said we all die when we turn 25! Should I hold off on retirement savings?! Guess I won't have kids then..."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lobok posted:

"Holy poo poo Lobok just said we all die when we turn 25! Should I hold off on retirement savings?! Guess I won't have kids then..."
That's just true though

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

A bad sign, but not universal. DOOM famously had an embargo until launch and was GOTY contender. So?!?!

Lol wait for reviews/rent a cage game though drat.

IIRC it wasn't that there was an embargo, they just never sent out any review copies to anyone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lobok posted:

Should I hold off on retirement savings?! Guess I won't have kids then..."

I mean, well

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Steve Yun posted:

It depends more on the publisher's ad campaign rather than what they kind of reviews they think the game will receive. GTA 5 and Bioshock Infinite had review embargo one day before release (except the IGN review for Infinite) and went on to review exceptionally well.

Sometimes, it can vary on a game to game basis for a publisher. Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild had review a embargo end one day before release. On the other hand, Arms and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had reviews a week before the release.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

IIRC it wasn't that there was an embargo, they just never sent out any review copies to anyone

Which is the ultimate embargo. They didn't even want prepared statements to go out when it launched. It was seen as a very bad sign for the game. Then it was awesome to everyone's shock, mostly the publisher

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

It's less about the actual technology and more about how it'd put Sony in total control of the market for PS games and eliminate the used market. They'd literally be the only shop in town. We'd be buying ten-hour single player only games instead of redboxing them for a weekend. They could do Valve stuff and engineer sales that get people to build up backlogs of games they'll never play. They could sell the ads and promotions that make the online storefront so bad at a higher price. I'm digital only too because drat it's convenient, but I'm pretty much convinced that this is a matter of time. I'm waiting for the console where the disc drive is an expensive add-on that you plug into USB.

And for that we have the 360. + HDDVD

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would miss the disc drive on a PS5 as much as I miss the headphone jack on my iPhone.

bye bitch

If PS5 was digital only I'd jump ship, and I've been a PS owner for more than 2 decades.

That being said, there's no way in Helheim Sony is going digital-only, not with Blu-Ray firmly established across all industries as the end-all-be-all of upgradable/archival disc standards, net neutrality up in flames, and game file sizes before day-one patches averaging above 50GB. :laffo:

Stay strong, stay physical.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Which is the ultimate embargo. They didn't even want prepared statements to go out when it launched. It was seen as a very bad sign for the game. Then it was awesome to everyone's shock, mostly the publisher

Sorry to nitpick you my friend, when I hear review embargo I think a legal agreement that's signed by reviewers given copies. But yeah gently caress them for doing that because even tho it was a baller, super confident move, now we're not sure what it determines about a publishers confidence in a game anymore.

It's a Cage game tho so it'll be like all the rest. Fantastic, cutting edge graphics, some really good ideas legit great parts and mechanics that all get squandered by poor, baffling writing. I just can't wait for the SBFP LP :allears:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

It's so loving weird to me that anyone would pay $60 for an eight hour CYOA visual novel review embargo or no, and this is from someone who genuinely liked Beyond Two Souls

Beyond was like 20 hrs long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

They said they're not doing lootboxes in Battlefield V.

There's only two options left.

Custom paid stuff that take forever to grind out for free or...

They'll make it harder to level up and unlock weapons and sell shortcut kits. Maybe even do both options.