Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

No apologizing bb :love:

I think about tube amps/my pure love of analog gear about three times a day so I can’t say poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I remember playing at a venue that had two JC-40 combos and thinking "I should've brought my pedal-board instead of my POD HD! :doh:"

Funnily enough, I 4-cable'd my POD HD and it took everything really well.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

massive spider posted:

My submission for stupid music poo poo: bands which have formed like, a month ago making 10 second “teasers” on social media for their forthcoming material.

I can't stand seeing lovely cover bands go live while they're driving down the road or doing laundry or some other completely mundane bullshit that absolutely no one cares about. That level of pompous, self-important douchebaggery totally confounds me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

praxis posted:

I can't stand seeing lovely cover bands go live while they're driving down the road or doing laundry or some other completely mundane bullshit that absolutely no one cares about. That level of pompous, self-important douchebaggery totally confounds me.

Where would you even be seeing this happen? Do you follow a lot of lovely cover bands on Instagram or something?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I forgot about this, so now you have to remember it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MI-_jWAmlE

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

hexwren posted:

How could we EVER forget the magic that is SHAVE MY FRIENDS TONIGHT?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

I thought I had drank enough to forget this! Thanks, rear end in a top hat! :mad:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hexwren posted:

Ahhhh it never gets old for me

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Did we ever get confirmation on whether it was faked or not?

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Snowy posted:

Where would you even be seeing this happen? Do you follow a lot of lovely cover bands on Instagram or something?

I play in a lovely cover band so I'm friends with a lot of local musicians in other lovely cover bands and see them doing this all the time.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
tired: posting ten second teaser clips of your lovely band's debut on facebook

wired: doing numbers on a twitter post where you tell wolf blitzer to eat your rear end then direct everyone to your soundcloud in the replies

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
ULTRA INSTINCT: fake your singer being kidnapped to get your band's name on all the blogs

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Spanish Manlove posted:

ULTRA INSTINCT: fake your singer being kidnapped to get your band's name on all the blogs

I actually did (almost) that for a promo for my band when we were playing a local festival last year.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://reverb.com/item/3748112-robin-wedge-custom-1985-cream-metallic-new-old-stock-from-robin-factory-in-houston-tx

I like it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

kjetting posted:

I actually did (almost) that for a promo for my band when we were playing a local festival last year.

http://www.metalinsider.net/updates/upon-a-burning-body-singer-finally-addresses-disappearance-stunt

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Is there another one you can lock it together with to form a star-shaped doubleneck?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Haha, mine was not THAT bad.

Last year we were asked to do some sort of video greeting for a local small festival we were playing in the woods, and most the bands just did a thing where they turned the phone on selfie mode and said: "Hi, really looking forward to seeing you all at **** festival! Cheers!"

We were originally thinking of filming something from the tour van or the rehearsal room, but everytime we had the opportunity we forgot, and deadline was approaching. So the rest of the band said: why don't you just think of something?

So, I went up into a local wildlife area alone and made a silly Blair Witch inspired short film, with the concept that I was trying to make a video greeting but kept getting interrupted by sounds, had strange things happen around me, got lost, encountered blair witch "twanas", and finally had a teardripping selfie closeup moment where I sobbed "if anyone sees this.... I just have to say .... **** festival is going to be awesome, with or without us".

I told the PR guy from the festival to jokingly post the video with the caption "we found this memory card near the festival venue", He went hog wild with it and added "have any of you heard from kjetting lately?". He even pitched the story to a local web-based newspaper that ran the story "festival puts out alert about missing frontman" (still an obvious promo piece with my obvious joke video attached), with a screengrab of the sobbing scene as the illustration. I didn't know it was in the media until I got a phone call from my sister-in-law who was getting phone calls from their family asking "what has happened to kjetting?? Is your sister OK having lost her man??"

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
On a scale of 1 to "Doing a kegstand on stage for your closing number" how bro is your opening band...

Andrew W. K. came to town this week; these guys were the opener. And the taco guitar made an appearance, albeit for all of 20 seconds for the opening to one song and nothing else. AWK himself was, as expected, fun and dumb.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When I went to see unearth open for slayer the guitar players for Unearth each did a beer bong during their solos

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Unearth has A good song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvo-UbkHxEw

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Today I learned Albert Lee is British and a country guy.

It's me. I'm the stupid music poo poo.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

somebody was listening to storm of the light's bane before heading to the studio

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

...and the pitch! posted:

Today I learned Albert Lee is British and a country guy.

It's me. I'm the stupid music poo poo.

I did not realize Alvin Lee and Albert Lee were two different people until the former died.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

1)

2)
Tool. I play drums and I'm the only drummer itt. I hate Tool fans including the ones waiting for Danny Carey to go sick/nasty/wicked/brah. It's the subtle clever obvious thinking. The drums are the melodic instrument in the band. So not a band a guitar can get much out of. Totally get it.

Just listen to/watch the perfect hi-hat technique on literally anything and go from there.

3)
I don't use triggers but I'm quite certain they don't play the drums for you. But this is a guitar thread. Different languages. I skimmed like 2 Dinesy videos about triggers but those "I never have and never will be in a band" narcissistic fucko videos murder my soul.

4)
APC Met De Noms is about flawless. Very common for a supergroup to come together and have that spark and make nothing but hot garbage after.

Down is one of those bands too off the top of my head. Y'all are guitar players. You are truly loving up if you don't have Down - Nola. Such flawless and creative riffery.

5)
Gojira blows so much goddamn rear end.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fzA455 posted:

Down is one of those bands too off the top of my head. Y'all are guitar players. You are truly loving up if you don't have Down - Nola. Such flawless and creative riffery.

i thought it was pretty disappointing considering all the other bands the members were in

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fzA455 posted:

1)

2)
Tool. I play drums and I'm the only drummer itt. I hate Tool fans including the ones waiting for Danny Carey to go sick/nasty/wicked/brah. It's the subtle clever obvious thinking. The drums are the melodic instrument in the band. So not a band a guitar can get much out of. Totally get it.

Just listen to/watch the perfect hi-hat technique on literally anything and go from there.

3)
I don't use triggers but I'm quite certain they don't play the drums for you. But this is a guitar thread. Different languages. I skimmed like 2 Dinesy videos about triggers but those "I never have and never will be in a band" narcissistic fucko videos murder my soul.

4)
APC Met De Noms is about flawless. Very common for a supergroup to come together and have that spark and make nothing but hot garbage after.

5)
Gojira blows so much goddamn rear end.

source yr quotes

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I didn't know that you were only allowed to post in here if you played a guitar

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The "I like Tool but Tool fans suck" meme is dumb as heck especially when the band themselves contributes to it and shittalk their fans. Yeah your fans may be dumb stinky pseudointellectual greebos but you should still love your dumb stinky greebo fans.

Just accept it, don't go I'm not one of those Tool fans who appreciates the music wrong" accept in your heart there is some part of you that is a dumb stinky greebo and embrace it.

It reminds me kinda of the "Primus sucks!" meme Primus fans do except that's the inverse- an ironic display of comraderie in their awful music taste.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Some 20 years later, I dynamited Caduceus Cellars to rubble. But even in prison, I still see Maynard everywhere" :tinfoil:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI6Ib7wVHbM

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/999040275505823744

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I was that cool

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/999044140309475328

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I'm sorry. My sleep situation last night didn't allow for my herbal night cap and I was awake and saucy feeling I guess.

I'm a musician and it's definitely really hard to defend Tool (the music, lyrics, lovely riffs, the fans)... The art and visuals around Lateralus album/tour were great though.

I get so much out of them because I can objectively say Danny Carey is the most musical drummer ever. Basically he's the melodic player and Adam Jones just provides texture and rhythm, (he's admitted that he tries to be very simple, "provide atmosphere"...butttt....maybe a bit too simple...)

However, a broken clock is right twice a day or whatever. He plays a great guitar solo on Pushit, but with the drums snd bass really carrying it well. Nothing virtuostic, but just very tasteful and well done.

I dunno. I totally get ya. I don't want to fuel further Tool debate. I appreciate the drums as a musician, meaning I'm not just sitting there waiting for the drum solo-y stuff. It's all perfect. I could post a great example video but ehhh who cares.

A human heart posted:

I didn't know that you were only allowed to post in here if you played a guitar

I was kidding. Definitely a huge guitar majority in this forum. At least to me. I dunno. Not a complaint though.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i thought it was pretty disappointing considering all the other bands the members were in

Ok wrong. Every riff and transition is perfect. The drumming is so perfectly Bonham meets stoner sludge meets still up beat sound. Even Phil's vocal sound and the way he does the melodies. Just all around killer. And you should have the exact same subjective taste as me OK!

:)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

He makes them himself! And loves band aids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFTd_Q45xX0

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Starting to dislike shark tooth fret inlays.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Starting to dislike shark tooth fret inlays.

I go back and forth. Plain dots always have a place in my heart though.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I like the tiny dots that are still on the fretboard but very near the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

I like the tiny dots that are still on the fretboard but very near the edge.

Yeah, noncentered dots 4 lyfe.