Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I can find duels in about 5 minutes or less most of the time in EU with my low (~1100 SR) skill rating. I'm still happy to duel anyone who want to tho. Nick is senseored in game.

Also game is fun and deserves more players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Yeah I’m that seasoned quake vet and totally understand how crappy duel can be for new players.

Classic duel would be fun, but I wonder what new mode can be created to try and draw in new players. I don’t think FFA / TDM / CTF is the answer. Overwatch uses payload, Pubg is battle royal, QC introduces.... ?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's time to bring back Assault

e: actually this is definitely not the time to bring back Assault

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

cougar cub posted:

Yeah I’m that seasoned quake vet and totally understand how crappy duel can be for new players.

Classic duel would be fun, but I wonder what new mode can be created to try and draw in new players. I don’t think FFA / TDM / CTF is the answer. Overwatch uses payload, Pubg is battle royal, QC introduces.... ?

I guess Sacrifice was their bet, but since it doesn’t have decent matchmaking it’s a horrible mode cause you’ll be in a random team where two dudes leave vs 4 friends using comms more often than not.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

giogadi posted:

Ah nuts, I'm on the US west coast.

You're missing out on all the Russian players.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

amitlu posted:

Oh yeah duel is always gonna be the realm of the most hardcore. I don't think their round based and pick system has worked at opening it up to new players, it's still too intimidating to go 1v1 vs seasoned quake players. I wonder if they'll just revert to classic duel to satisfy the people who play it.

Their format is so dumb new players can't even touch it without dropping money or getting some extreme lootbox luck

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you grind you can play it for 24 hours at a time though!!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pomp posted:

If you grind you can play it for 24 hours at a time though!!!
IIRC they're removing the rental crap and just letting you buy champs outright with Favor, as well as adding a LoL-style free-champ rotation.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I just dropped the money to get the champs anyway. You get access to future champa anyway.

It's like FPS King of Fighters.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Pomp posted:

Their format is so dumb new players can't even touch it without dropping money or getting some extreme lootbox luck

Jesus I didn’t even think about this.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

cougar cub posted:

If they want more casual pub modes they just need to look at previous Quake games and what modes/mods were always popular with that crowd: Clan Arena, Freeze Tag and maybe Capturestrike (from threewave CTF)

It's a double edged sword though, because if you add something like Clan Arena you risk having players only play that and never filtering off into the 'real' Quake modes that are more DM based. At a certain point though you just have to give people what they want for the game's survival.

I think Freeze Tag would be really fun in QC.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Uncle Kitchener posted:

It's like FPS King of Fighters.

Haha the new duel format made me think of kof also. I guess the round stuff just interrupts the flow for too many people though.

I think capture strike would be good. I know Warsow had a CS bomb defusal mode too that looked fun. I think clan arena alone isn’t enough because there needs to be some objective besides kill the opposing team.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Bots would absolutely help new players in an intensely competitive arena like duel.

Bear in mind a vast majority of competitive games out there are team based now, and don't offer duel situations. It's incredibly intimidating. I found bots helped a lot when I got into quake dueling way back.

You also have to consider that most players simply aren't as willing to go through the unforgiving rigors of dueling these days. It's punishing, puts all the pressure on yourself, and requires a great deal of determination to keep going and improve, turning crushing losses into close losses into wins. It requires a very specific mindset. I totally understand why duel's going out of style.

Lots of newer players just aren't as bullheaded as us, man. Lots of players in general just don't thrive in that cutthroat, ruthless, punishing environment anymore. S'not a bad thing.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
As someone who first started playing quake mp games with Reflex I'd say it's all the above and that there are probably a whole lot fewer bad players than back in the day. Like most of the time you have to actively try to find other players who aren't standing on a huge skill cliff over you, possibly by going outside of the game to discords or whatever. And I did just play persistently against a couple people losing over and over and scraping out little improvements as my victories eg; I played keep away better this match, I got on an item, whatever. The first time I really felt like I was doing good was when I was trading with this guy and escaped through a teleporter and instead of following my first instinct to run away turned around and one shot him with the axe when he chased. That put a grin on my face for the rest of the match but I think I still lost. I had a lot of fun playing Reflex but I just fell off eventually because I really have to be in the mood to go get 0-30'd on Aerowalk to get a tiny bit better at the game tonight. Also besides having a super high skill ceiling these games give ingame advantages to better players that aren't present in your CSGOs. So not only is your opponent way better than you but as a result of that they're probably gonna have double your EHP, be able to get around the map faster, possibly even get weapons you won't (one of the popular Reflex duel maps requires some kind of tele/circle jump to get rail that I was never able to pull off in the heat of a match.) Not to mention they can potentially chain spawnkills on you which is really demoralizing.

It requires, probably much more now than the good old DM days, a lose lose lose til you get gud attitude that's probably more common to the fighting game community than to most people playing fps games these days. And even then I think it's easier to find other newbie players for fgs, even the anime stuff, than it is for duel shooters. Hopefully QC can attract a bigger crowd than Reflex though.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I don't think I'd ever have started dueling with the match and ranking system in QC. You can't even spectate the guy that just beat you to see what he's doing better, or different. And I know an internet rank doesn't mean anything but 14 year old me would have totally agonized over it.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

amitlu posted:

If they want more casual pub modes they just need to look at previous Quake games and what modes/mods were always popular with that crowd: Clan Arena, Freeze Tag and maybe Capturestrike (from threewave CTF)

It's a double edged sword though, because if you add something like Clan Arena you risk having players only play that and never filtering off into the 'real' Quake modes that are more DM based. At a certain point though you just have to give people what they want for the game's survival.

I think Freeze Tag would be really fun in QC.

I haven't played this since beta, but agreed. I would love some old school CA mode like the Q3 mod. The rest of the game and it's modes are kind of lame, I hate the downtime between rounds, when I was playing it obviously wasn't very polished, but it just didn't feel the same and couldn't hold my attention. Then I played some Reflex and gently caress me that game felt awesome, speed, movement etc all when I remember from what I played in Q3, but with a playerbase of about 5 people who weren't very good.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

kaschei posted:

I don't think I'd ever have started dueling with the match and ranking system in QC. You can't even spectate the guy that just beat you to see what he's doing better, or different. And I know an internet rank doesn't mean anything but 14 year old me would have totally agonized over it.

This is a good point. I learned a lot about positioning and strat for sitting and watching someone play. There is twitch and YouTube now though so maybe it’s just looking back with rose coloured glasses.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

2v2 tourney at Dreamhack was absolutely amazing to watch.

you can see the replay for top 6 here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263789840

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

BattleHamster posted:

2v2 tourney at Dreamhack was absolutely amazing to watch.

you can see the replay for top 6 here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263789840

my favorite moment

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrailRudeWalrusSpicyBoy

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

2v2 tournament was great to watch, I really like that mode for spectating compared to (new) duel or sacrifice.

Why is Keel's map intro animation so stupid looking

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

amitlu posted:

2v2 tournament was great to watch, I really like that mode for spectating compared to (new) duel or sacrifice.

Why is Keel's map intro animation so stupid looking

it looks hilarious when you have the terminator head though.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I decided to try out anarki because the in-game description said he can change direction at high speed, which seemed pretty rad. However I found the difference in his movement to be pretty subtle (almost unnoticeable mostly). Does harnessing his movement take a subtle/technical mechanic kinda like strafe jumping for some of the other characters? If so, is there something I can read/watch to get a better understanding of it?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
he's got cpma movement right? So he's got access to more 'styles' oh movement I guess for more maneuverability vs more speed. And probably more air control than other characters.
timestamped vid on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt99wfDKP9U&t=244s

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:

giogadi posted:

I decided to try out anarki because the in-game description said he can change direction at high speed, which seemed pretty rad. However I found the difference in his movement to be pretty subtle (almost unnoticeable mostly). Does harnessing his movement take a subtle/technical mechanic kinda like strafe jumping for some of the other characters? If so, is there something I can read/watch to get a better understanding of it?

You still want to strafe/circle jump to build up speed when you're moving in a straight-ish line, but when you need to change direction just keep jumping, hold forward, and smoothly move the mouse to turn.

If you do it right you'll maintain your momentum and you can continue strafe jumping when the map geometry allows. You can't turn too sharply while keeping momentum.

Anarki feels sooooo good to play because you can just fly around the map, but I feel like you end up dying instantly if you get focused by more than one opponent.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Anarki is unplayable right now. His circle jump is too slow to run away from bad fights and his stack is way too low compared to everyone else. They’ve acknowledged it and will have improvements for next patch.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Speaking of the next patch: https://pastebin.com/bXZG9Jt5

Stack changes, tribolt changes, rail always deals 100 now

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Geee who knew that charging zoom damage on rail was a bad idea.

Lg harder to hit with? Sure.

CPMA style shotgun? Sure.

Galena totem nerf? Sure.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Slowing berserk is also good.

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:

Test Server Patch Notes posted:

Armor and Weapon Skins can no longer be crafted with Shards

Welp, guess I'd better scrap enough stuff to buy the Q3 gauntlet before the next patch hits. It's the last weapon skin that I really want.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

cougar cub posted:

Geee who knew that charging zoom damage on rail was a bad idea.

Lg harder to hit with? Sure.

CPMA style shotgun? Sure.

Galena totem nerf? Sure.

Although they are increasing health from totems. I don’t really think they needed to do that.

So if shards can’t buy skins will they only be used for chests? Hopefully we actually do get less duplicates.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Although they are increasing health from totems. I don’t really think they needed to do that.

So if shards can’t buy skins will they only be used for chests? Hopefully we actually do get less duplicates.
I believe is the intention is to let you buy textures with shards instead of skins. Yes, get your skins in now if you want 'em.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Beserk was the most bullshit ability in the game so I'm curious to how much this will impact it. Tired of seeing lobbies full of Doomslayers.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

quote:

Added 3D Positional Sound “[BETA] Stereo Headphones with HRTF” option in Audio Settings

hooray quake champions finally getting on quake 2's level.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

600 jumping ups is still really fast for berserk.

Besides, Doomslayer double jump is the best reason to pick him!

Also I missed that my Keel nade spam got nerfed :sadwave:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Should I pick up the all characters pack? I've been wanting to learn about Quake but I always end up wanting to go back to Halo. Is there a point where the game just makes more sense or should I skip Champions and go play Quake Live?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Agoat posted:

Should I pick up the all characters pack? I've been wanting to learn about Quake but I always end up wanting to go back to Halo. Is there a point where the game just makes more sense or should I skip Champions and go play Quake Live?

There's a Scalebearer pack for $5 that gives you access to the game. I'd just do that first to see if you even like the game. You will be able to buy champions with the ingame favor currency starting next patch I believe.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Social Animal posted:

There's a Scalebearer pack for $5 that gives you access to the game. I'd just do that first to see if you even like the game. You will be able to buy champions with the ingame favor currency starting next patch I believe.
It's in the PTS patch. Number I saw kicked around was 50,000 Favor per character, which is pretty reasonable, but it's also non-final so

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Doomslayer is love. Doomslayer is life.

Don't nerf the one good character in this game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Social Animal posted:

I have some free thing so I always have the Quake guy. I feel like I'd enjoy Duel mode? In every other mode the spawns feel random and nobody seems to know anything. I get bopped cause there's no health to pickup.

Also quad damage? Really hate it. No idea how you'd deal with it in duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Agoat posted:

I have some free thing so I always have the Quake guy. I feel like I'd enjoy Duel mode? In every other mode the spawns feel random and nobody seems to know anything. I get bopped cause there's no health to pickup.

Also quad damage? Really hate it. No idea how you'd deal with it in duel.

There's no quad damage in duel.