Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The guy they cast as Solo looks like a big goof. Seriously go back and look at how rad Harrison Ford looked in the late 70s and then look at that dweeb.

But Ford in the late 70s was the original Han so the guy in Solo needs to look/be even younger, more immature, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The more I think about it, like, how is it even possible to gently caress up so bad that you have a lack of super hype for a HAN SOLO movie after getting Star Wars hype in general so high again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How is Book Club, btw. Good mom movie?

I got a laugh out of some of the dick jokes because I'm a child. My fiancee really enjoyed it though

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was fully planning to see Solo this weekend, but my wife and brother in law would rather go see Deadpool 2 again. So I guess my prediction is Deadpool 2 weekend 2 beats the opening weekend of Solo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

The more I think about it, like, how is it even possible to gently caress up so bad that you have a lack of super hype for a HAN SOLO movie after getting Star Wars hype in general so high again.

When you fire your directors and reshoot 80% of the movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The guy they cast as Solo looks like a big goof. Seriously go back and look at how rad Harrison Ford looked in the late 70s and then look at that dweeb.

It’s perfect casting then. Han Solo is a mega ducking dweeb who bullshits his way through situations thanks to the help of his support.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I hope they just slide in the fishman from Shape of Water as the canonical creature from black lagoon. Like, he has no real superpowers compared to Mummy Cruise. Just irresistible to women.

Also I got a lol out of the cnn article about show dogs:

"One of film's main writers, Max Botkin, meanwhile, denies writing the scenes in question. While the film is based on his original script, Botkin claims it was "heavily rewritten by 13 other writers," 12 of which went uncredited."

Imagine 13 writers needed on this movie, and also nearly every single one going "yeah, let's keep in the dog fondling scene"

He actually has the EXACT SAME powers as Mummy Cruise (can direct life energy around and stuff).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

wyoming posted:

Are you confusing Valerian with Passengers?

No.

I've not seen passengers. I've lost interest in Chris Pratt until they do something with him other than 'leading man, but weird and bad at it'

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gatts posted:

It’s perfect casting then. Han Solo is a mega ducking dweeb who bullshits his way through situations thanks to the help of his support.

He's really not. He flat-out kills a guy, ice cold. "Sorry about the mess" (and I'm not talking about Lucas's bs revisions). He's also ready to die in a blaze of glory when caught by the Death Star tractor beam. When he sees Vader on Cloud City, he doesn't even hesitate to quick-drawn and blast him.

He's also played by an incredibly handsome and charismatic actor, a literal generational talent. Big shoes to fill.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

This gave me a mental picture of Tim Allen in the Iron Man suit :ohdear:

Buzz Lightyear?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Neo Rasa posted:

Nobody actually gives a poo poo about han solo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

K. Waste posted:

Yeah I just don't care, he's not that interesting. The trailer plays him up like he's a major deal, but in reality he's the least important of the OT cast.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I just don't care, he's not that interesting. The trailer plays him up like he's a major deal, but in reality he's the least important of the OT cast.

Even that's charitable.

The longer version of it was that Han Solo was probably the sixth most popular character in a movie that came out 40 years ago, and his most recent incarnation was in a 'revisionist' trilogy that killed him off. Plus, you're insinuating a movie about this character into a marketplace that's already saturated in this kind of film and that kind of character. You might as well be making John Carter or the Lone Ranger.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I know it's not like he's a super iconic character with a huge history behind him like Jyn Erso in Rogue One.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
K. Waste is right, though. What people like is Harrison Ford. People don't give a hot lusty gently caress about "Han Solo".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I give a gently caress about Han Solo the character :shrug:

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

K. Waste is right, though. What people like is Harrison Ford. People don't give a hot lusty gently caress about "Han Solo".

Speak for yourself. Han Solo represents the 99.999% of the Star Wars universe that isn't the Jedi and their bullshit; we need more looks at this side of the universe. Rogue One did okay at that, but I'm pumped to see more.

Movie could still be terrible, though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Han Solo is rad, there's literally zero loving purpose to making a movie about him as he's a complete character with an entire arc from A New Hope to Return of the Jedi. There's literally no reason to make a prequel Solo movie - unless it's about how he became such a selfish dirtbag that doesn't give a gently caress about anything but getting paid. Which I doubt they do because then who would buy the toys

Lando Calrissian, on the other hand, needs his own movie.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Enos Cabell posted:

I was fully planning to see Solo this weekend, but my wife and brother in law would rather go see Deadpool 2 again. So I guess my prediction is Deadpool 2 weekend 2 beats the opening weekend of Solo.

I have a feeling if this happens and the Fox deals fall through, that Disney will probably demand Deadpool be killed off in the comic and try to just get him erase from existence.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Bullshit.

The reason why people are avoiding it is 1) It's a known troubled production and that has a habit of impacting the finished film's rep 2) it does the origin story/EU fanfic trope of shoehorning every major event into the film: how Han meets Chewie, how he wins the Falcon from Lando, how he made the Kessel Run, etc. instead of being a movie where Han and Chewie (and maybe Lando) go on a separate adventure from the OT and 3) Star Wars burn out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Han Solo movie should have been Chewie, Han, and Lando doing poo poo unrelated to the OT and also good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Capn Jobe posted:

Speak for yourself. Han Solo represents the 99.999% of the Star Wars universe that isn't the Jedi and their bullshit; we need more looks at this side of the universe. Rogue One did okay at that, but I'm pumped to see more.

Movie could still be terrible, though.

Yeah, but Han Solo works because there’s a counterpoint to his attitude through the OT. I think the character loses a lot of its luster if everyone in the film is varying degrees of Han Solo.

^^^^^^^ A better Star Wars movie would have been a Guildenstern and Rosencrantz are Dead movie set during the OT.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

^^^^^^^ A better Star Wars movie would have been a Guildenstern and Rosencrantz are Dead movie set during the OT.

I would watch the hell out of this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, but Han Solo works because there’s a counterpoint to his attitude through the OT. I think the character loses a lot of its luster if everyone in the film is varying degrees of Han Solo.

So a movie version of Tag and Bink are Dead?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rirse posted:

So a movie version of Tag and Bink are Dead?

Wikipedia says they appear in Solo

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Let just do the Tag and Bink movie next then.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Young Freud posted:

Bullshit.

The reason why people are avoiding it is 1) It's a known troubled production and that has a habit of impacting the finished film's rep 2) it does the origin story/EU fanfic trope of shoehorning every major event into the film: how Han meets Chewie, how he wins the Falcon from Lando, how he made the Kessel Run, etc. instead of being a movie where Han and Chewie (and maybe Lando) go on a separate adventure from the OT and 3) Star Wars burn out.

The last part is the only potentially relevant thing here, which I addressed earlier, and isn't just a star wars problem. It's market saturation.

The first two things you mention are stuff that only a small, but vocal minority of fans and film buffs actually care about. When they predict that solo is going to "underperform" (still make hundreds of millions of dollars, but just not as many hundreds), they aren't talking about people not going to see the movie because the directors of Lego movie were fired, or because they remember or give a poo poo what a kessel run is. They're talking about people not talking about the movie, and people aren't talking about the movie because it's just some spin-off about a guy named "Solo," and nobody gives a poo poo about him.

Even people interested in seeing the movie talk more about Chewie and Lando. Nobody gives a poo poo about Han Solo. Porgs are more popular than Han Solo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i watched Solo in a packed theatre! It was a fun romp and the action was good, with some actual tension in some scenes. Some of the actors felt a little wasted (especially Thandie Newton and to some extent Donald Glover), tons and tons of fan service, overall it's acting more as a crowd pleaser than delivering pathos like TLJ or R1.

The movie also has a key scene that references/solves the issue of who shooting first.

It also teases a sequel (boooooo) and if you read the spoiler that Darth Maul is the key villain be prepared to be disappointed.

It's worth a watch! Also there were two Hans in my watching party so they are Han Duolos.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Neo Rasa posted:

I know it's not like he's a super iconic character with a huge history behind him like Jyn Erso in Rogue One.

The movie was not called Erso: A Star Wars Story. It was called Rogue One which, regardless of your opinions of the final film, is an evocative title that, coupled with a really fantastic trailer, piques interest.

Solo is a garbage title for a movie about a 40-year-old character. His 'iconic' status is inextricable from a very particular performance and context. The new film doesn't look iconic at all. There's no mystery, 'Solo' doesn't evoke anything except, "Guy I'm supposed to care about because he was in a really old movie that made lots of money."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Capn Jobe posted:

Speak for yourself. Han Solo represents the 99.999% of the Star Wars universe that isn't the Jedi and their bullshit;

He buys into their bullshit before the end of the first movie.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

He buys into their bullshit before the end of the first movie.

Not quite what I meant. The Han Solo character can be used to tell a story that does not involve the Jedi. I'd prefer if they used an original character to tell a non-Jedi story, but you take what you get.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Ludacris (in dog form) gets his junk fondled by Will Arnett and he hates it" didn't really scream 'perfect date movie' to me but hey, you guys do you. :ocelot:

Really though, it's just another dumb lowbrow talking dog movie with a bunch of mild grossout jokes, except this time it's a buddy cop movie.

Ohjesus, with ludacris voicing a dog now it reminds me of slave auctions and the inspections to determine prices

Casimir Radon posted:

Probably those h3h3 idiots, and all their dialogue will be improvised. Or they can get Pewdiepie and then have to spend millions reshooting all his scenes with Christopher Plummer after another racist incident comes to light.

Oh man did you catch the Plummer joke in Deadpool 2?

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 24, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Hot Lusty gently caress: A Star Wars Story

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Almost Blue posted:

Hot Lusty gently caress: A Star Wars Story

Lando movie confirmed

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

You better hurry to the theater if you want to catch the dog molesting because it's getting cut out this weekend. Neutered, if you will...

quote:

“Responding to concerns raised by moviegoers and some specific organizations, Global Road Entertainment has decided to remove two scenes from the film Show Dogs that some have deemed not appropriate for children. The company takes these matters very seriously and remains committed to providing quality entertainment for the intended audiences based on the film’s rating. We apologize to anybody who feels the original version of Show Dogs sent an inappropriate message. The revised version of the film will be available for viewing nationwide starting this weekend.”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just realised that the real reason I'm angry about the Show Dogs debacle is that the animal actors weren't 100% CGI so we'lll never get to see behind the scenes footage of Ludacris in a mocap suit getting felt up by Will Arnett and having his Ian McKellen "This isn't why I became an actor" Hobbit moment.

That would have made everything else more than worth the effort. :v:

Len posted:

That's the first news about the Solo movie that piques my interest.

I guess a big part of the problem is that they brought back the character in The Force Awakens but underlined how utterly tired and old he was, and how he'd completely failed to grow or move on in his life at all and he was just going through the motions of being a smuggler because that's all he was ever capable of. And even then he was still struggling to make ends meet so he wasn't even any good at it. Pretty much the only contribution he could make to the plot was to get killed off to make way for the new, updated characters.

I haven't been keeping up with the Solo promo campaign but I'm guessing they've been steadily avoiding mentioning TFA at all? I' suppose "Hey, remember that useless old guy who annoyed everyone and then died sad and alone? Well see where he started!" is a bit of a hard row to hoe.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 24, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tars Tarkas posted:

You better hurry to the theater if you want to catch the dog molesting because it's getting cut out this weekend. Neutered, if you will...

Wow, Global Road Entertainment, no balls.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

quote:

“Responding to concerns raised by moviegoers and some specific organizations, Global Road Entertainment has decided to remove two scenes from the film Show Dogs that some have deemed not appropriate for children. The company takes these matters very seriously and remains committed to providing quality entertainment for the intended audiences based on the film’s rating. We apologize to anybody who feels the original version of Show Dogs sent an inappropriate message. The revised version of the film will be available for viewing nationwide starting this weekend.”

That's such a completely gutless response, caving in without acknowledging there was anything actually wrong with the scenes. It's also really weird how they keep mentioning the film's rating in all of these statements, it feels like they're really mad that people are complaining about the content after the ratings board gave them the all clear. "Ayyy, we complied with the rules, whaddya want?"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Very sad that late-coming audiences will miss out on Will Arnett and a Rottweiler taking turns to hold each other aloft while "Time of My Life" plays and fireworks go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

He's really not. He flat-out kills a guy, ice cold. "Sorry about the mess" (and I'm not talking about Lucas's bs revisions). He's also ready to die in a blaze of glory when caught by the Death Star tractor beam. When he sees Vader on Cloud City, he doesn't even hesitate to quick-drawn and blast him.

He's also played by an incredibly handsome and charismatic actor, a literal generational talent. Big shoes to fill.

He does a good job playing Han without it being a straight up impression. He's handsome too. And he's not as goofy as you might think.