Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up, DC is doing a sale on Comixology/Amazon and you can get all of Planetary for $11.

Kind of highlights how bizarre digital pricing can be though, as the "Planetary: Book One" and "Planetary: Book Two" are on sale but they are still selling it digitally as the original TPB volumes for over ten bucks each. So you could spend either $11 or $52 for the same content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's like the GOTY editions of games

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just price all digital books at $1 since they're still making profit anyways

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/05/damon-lindelof-watchmen-details/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Of all the loving people to put in charge.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I heard that the Watchmen show was going to be set in modern day, I thought yay, it could actually be good.

When I heard Damen Lindelof was directing it, I though oh no, it definitely will be bad.

Now that I've heard it's going to be a sequel to the original comic, I'm thinking oh god, this is some kinda ending of Se7en thing where's Damen Lindelof is doing the most horrific thing he can think of to try to get himself murdered by Alan Moore.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

When I heard that the Watchmen show was going to be set in modern day, I thought yay, it could actually be good.

When I heard Damen Lindelof was directing it, I though oh no, it definitely will be bad.

Now that I've heard it's going to be a sequel to the original comic, I'm thinking oh god, this is some kinda ending of Se7en thing where's Damen Lindelof is doing the most horrific thing he can think of to try to get himself murdered by Alan Moore.

I've been watching wrestling so long that now I kind of want someone to do a mockup of a poster for a steel cage tag match between Johns and Lindelof AND Moore and a mystery partner

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wasn't The Leftovers pretty good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd have had to watch a show with Damon Lindelof involved in it to find out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lost had a lovely ending but the rest of it had far too many good moments and arcs for me to write him off.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m fine with Lindelof, but Jesus everything else sounds terrible

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I bailed after four episodes because watching it felt like I was having a conversation with the show that was going like this:

The Leftovers: People disappeared! Nobody knows why!
Me: Great, so what happens next?
The Leftovers: No answers will ever be provided for why they disappeared!
Me: Okay so like, are the events you're showing me important, or...?
The Leftovers: Not all things can be known! You'll just have to deal with that!
Me: Right, but like... you've heard the saying about how stories should start as close to the end as possible, right? So if a portion of the world disappearing and all the immediate fallout from that event are just the background events, what happens now is going to be even more interesting than that, right? You didn't take that saying too far and start the story after it ended, did you? Just... I just need something to happen, or I need you to show me that something is going to happen, or... loving meet me halfway, here.
The Leftovers: It's like a metaphor for death and the human condition! Life doesn't always have answers!
Me: Right, I'm out.

The A.V. Club loved the show, but even from the gushing reviews I never got the impression that the show had stopped doing end-zone dances on the 20 yard line over how goddamn clever it was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leftovers pretty much has universal acclaim as one of the best shows of this decade. So I'd imagine he's earned the right to do whatever he wants for HBO.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You'd think the DC streaming thing could use a prestige adult show like that.

e: Just remembered they've got a live-action Swamp Thing which could be that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 24, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Leftovers pretty much has universal acclaim as one of the best shows of this decade.

So, like Lost last decade.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

So, like Lost last decade.

That's kind of the opposite of what happened with Lost.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I bailed after four episodes because watching it felt like I was having a conversation with the show that was going like this:

The Leftovers: People disappeared! Nobody knows why!
Me: Great, so what happens next?
The Leftovers: No answers will ever be provided for why they disappeared!
Me: Okay so like, are the events you're showing me important, or...?
The Leftovers: Not all things can be known! You'll just have to deal with that!
Me: Right, but like... you've heard the saying about how stories should start as close to the end as possible, right? So if a portion of the world disappearing and all the immediate fallout from that event are just the background events, what happens now is going to be even more interesting than that, right? You didn't take that saying too far and start the story after it ended, did you? Just... I just need something to happen, or I need you to show me that something is going to happen, or... loving meet me halfway, here.
The Leftovers: It's like a metaphor for death and the human condition! Life doesn't always have answers!
Me: Right, I'm out.

The A.V. Club loved the show, but even from the gushing reviews I never got the impression that the show had stopped doing end-zone dances on the 20 yard line over how goddamn clever it was.

Nobody uploaded any clips of it to youtube but pretend i linked Seth from UYD making fun of the Leftovers after the first episode for being exactly that

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

That's kind of the opposite of what happened with Lost.

Lost received universal acclaim and was widely considered to be the exemplar and starting point of "the golden age of television"

Of course, as the show continued people realized that none of the mysteries were going to have satisfying answers which retroactively made the whole thing poo poo, but that happened later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Lost received universal acclaim and was widely considered to be the exemplar and starting point of "the golden age of television"

Of course, as the show continued people realized that none of the mysteries were going to have satisfying answers which retroactively made the whole thing poo poo, but that happened later.

Exactly. So just give The Leftovers a few more seasons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Exactly. So just give The Leftovers a few more seasons.

You know it has finished right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You know it has finished right?

I didn't. Egg on my face for that one I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Leftovers ended and still had all the acclaim, and actually even more. Again, kind of the opposite of Lost since Lost started out with acclaim and Leftovers started out really slow by most accounts.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Critical acclaim doesn't actually mean anything. Critics love Hamilton, but hated Lexx.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It sure became cool to hate Hamilton.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah weird how when people outside the beltway got to consume a play that’s literally a neoliberal whitewashing of a monster of a human being they didn’t like it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's jealousy. No real people have seen it.

I'm still waiting for the Book of Mormon movie, Matt n' Trey :mad:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Critical acclaim doesn't actually mean anything. Critics love Hamilton, but hated Lexx.

So... you’re saying critics are right? OK.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah weird how when people outside the beltway got to consume a play that’s literally a neoliberal whitewashing of a monster of a human being they didn’t like it.

I'm glad that you brought up how it's morally bad, because not enough people do, but you're leaving out the equally important fact that music is very bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The musical episode of Lexx is better and has better music than Hamilton. That is a fact.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

The musical episode of Lexx is better and has better music than Hamilton. That is a fact.

Your troll game is in poor form chap.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr. Maltose posted:

No, Jefferson doesn't come off that great.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm glad that you brought up how it's morally bad, because not enough people do, but you're leaving out the equally important fact that music is very bad

It suffers very badly because Lin-Manuel has enough experience to make a solid if not outstanding musical rear end musical as evidenced by his other work but holy poo poo are his bars weak.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hell i'll say it

i'm glad Alexander Hamilton is dead

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

CapnAndy posted:

No, Jefferson doesn't come off that great.

I mean, it’s true Hamilton didn’t own slaves, mostly because he was too busy selling slaves for other people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Maltose posted:

I mean, it’s true Hamilton didn’t own slaves, mostly because he was too busy selling slaves for other people.

It's ironic that having black actors portray the Founding Fathers is such an extreme act of white-washing history

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Dude that's not really a sustainable bar for "not a monster" when applied to wealthy politicians of the eighteenth century. At least Jefferson was also a raping hypocritical fuckstick who invented the smear campaign and died broke because he thought actually paying for poo poo was something that happened to the common folk and not a gentleman like himself.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

Dude that's not really a sustainable bar for "not a monster" when applied to wealthy politicians of the eighteenth century.

So the conclusion you can draw is that yeah, most of our Founding Fathers were monsters, or you can lower your own moral standards to the point where you feel comfortable saying that a slave trader wasn't a monster.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
all of the founding fathers were poo poo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

site posted:

all of the founding fathers were poo poo

Even Thomas Paine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
paine wasnt involved in writing the declaration of independence nor was he a delegate in the continental congress

• Locked thread