Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Got a King Crab from an Assassination mission thanks to some lucky head hits and a couple knockdowns. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taerkar posted:

Sighted my first Cataphract not long after Grave Robbers. The first shot at it was my first Gauss headchop and the game gave me the third piece to it on the random salvage section.

Now how to fit it...

Also for the melee mod, remember that adds to the damage of the hit and not separate hit locations. Very few things can take a 150+ damage hit to a pristine location without it going internal.

First time I got a cataphract I rolled it with an AC20 and 5x ML. Did a lotta work.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Taintrunner posted:

Got my first assault mech.

Had my gauss rifle blown off the very next mission. Le sigh

Same.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Maybe the Argo's bookkeeping department is losing their poo poo with the end of the war looming. Because now it's deciding that events will flip my status from "Normal" to Spartan or the other one to play the poo poo pay events. Even when I went back and loaded pre monthly fee save, made sure it was set to Normal. And went from there.

Only things different from before this started happening are the recent patch, and the fact I'm up to the final plot mission. My only file tweaks are the unit emblem and amount of contracts, so yeah.

EDIT: I reached the planet without events, but in the span of the animation of entering orbit it flipped me from Normal to Spartan. Now loading any saves past the financial report are changing it to Spartan :psyduck:

This loving game sometimes. Third time loading before the finance upkeep, normal, got pirate event and finally made it to my destination without the game deciding I'm an arbitrary cheapskate.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 24, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And then my next mission, my Glitch dies. Waaah!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Got my first assault mech.

Had my gauss rifle blown off the very next mission. Le sigh

The gauss rifle and Dekker is made of the same stuff.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Plek posted:

The gauss rifle and Dekker is made of the same stuff.

In my timeline, Dekker has survived to post-game and I have two Gauss rifles

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
My gauss rifle has survived, but one of my two tons of ammo for it got destroyed.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I just finished the Panzyr mission and got my hands on a Griffin, which I immediately turned into what appears to be a poor man's Grasshopper via 4x MLAS, 2x SLAS, and all the jumpjets. It's probably suboptimal and if somebody hits the right arm hard enough it's all over but holy poo poo is it fun.

This game kinda rules

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
I also just got a Cataphract and was wondering what to do with it.

I am playing with the mod that lets SL weapons show up on worlds marked former SLDF presence and adds + versions of them, though, so I had the ability to luck into, on my next jump to Brisbane, a Gauss +++ for the second time (the first one immediately replaced the one on that certain other mech you get).

So the Cataphract is now basically the canon -4L without its special armor: a PPC+++, Gauss+++, and 2 ML++s and a few heat sinks. Should be a fun little headhunter if I ever use it. Put a few crits' worth of FF armor on it too to add some extra durability, so it's a nice across-the-board upgrade.

The lategame gets weird when you can drop 3m cbills on a part for a mech you don't know if you'll use, but hey.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fraction Jackson posted:

I am playing with the mod that lets SL weapons show up on worlds marked former SLDF presence and adds + versions of them, though, so I had the ability to luck into, on my next jump to Brisbane, a Gauss +++ for the second time (the first one immediately replaced the one on that certain other mech you get).

So the Cataphract is now basically the canon -4L without its special armor: a PPC+++, Gauss+++, and 2 ML++s and a few heat sinks. Should be a fun little headhunter if I ever use it. Put a few crits' worth of FF armor on it too to add some extra durability, so it's a nice across-the-board upgrade.

The lategame gets weird when you can drop 3m cbills on a part for a mech you don't know if you'll use, but hey.
When not turning it into a Gauss headcapper platform, "What do I do with a Cataphract?"

Take all those ideas you had for an Orion that don't get derailed by "Oh but I want LRMs/SRMs instead." Then take advantage of the fact the Cataphract has 2 support points while the Orion has zero if desired.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The game decided to take thirty minutes to patch on an SSD and now thirty hours of saves are all gone.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chronojam posted:

The game decided to take thirty minutes to patch on an SSD and now thirty hours of saves are all gone.

First step is restart the game and see if they're really gone.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Chronojam posted:

You sure it's not just a case of reinstalling the mods? That's all I had to do when my saves went after the last patch

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I included the Awesome in my list because I would rather use an Orion at 75 tons because it loses 3% armor for not being 5% easier to hit and going a phase earlier, which means with a Master Tactician it is going in the medium phase. Also its just not that good.

Awesomes are fine - they trade speed for payload and carry more guns than Heavy mechs.

Being limited to energy weapons is something of a liability in the current state of things, but the LRM Awesome is a solid worker.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Chronojam posted:

On the forums they say that if you roll back to 1.0.3 the saves will reappear: the new patch apparently hides them, rather than erases them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I don't have any mods yet; guess I need to figure out how to get back to an older version now then? Thanks for the tips.

E: Sounds like switching branches might help so I'm going for that

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 24, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
just had a 1.5 skull mission that had like seven mechs against mine in it? what the gently caress thanks for the heads up game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

just had a 1.5 skull mission that had like seven mechs against mine in it? what the gently caress thanks for the heads up game

But were they lovely mechs, like locusts and poo poo

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I want to say on missions where you encounter superior number your opponent will have badly maintained mech, but I've seen plenty of mission where your opponent would out ton you 2:1 based on drop tonnage vs skull count while having fully armored mech.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Somewhere in the depths of this thread someone says the difficulty rating can be off by as much as 1.5 skulls or something.

Speaking of the depths of this very fast moving thread, a week or two ago someone posted some .ini changes or something that made it so each planet would have a ton more missions and would offer all levels of missions and stuff instead of the handful we got right now. Any chance that can get reposted?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

counterfeitsaint posted:

Somewhere in the depths of this thread someone says the difficulty rating can be off by as much as 1.5 skulls or something.

Speaking of the depths of this very fast moving thread, a week or two ago someone posted some .ini changes or something that made it so each planet would have a ton more missions and would offer all levels of missions and stuff instead of the handful we got right now. Any chance that can get reposted?

It’s really loving weird. I had like a 3.5 Star mission where I was trapped in a vice between assault tanks around the corner of a base that I could get to easily and like 6 mechs, heavy and assaults, up on a hill bearing down on me. That’s where Glitch died.

And then I take like a 4.5 Star mission and it’s one tank and some pushover heavy mechs.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I can appreciate the kind of difficulty curve that keeps player guessing what opposition they will face. I like to think that it's intentional rather than an oversight though. Having absolute mission difficulty correlate exactly to the skull rating would make things more boring, imo. Uncertainty can be a great thing when used appropriately.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, I do to. I think the game is counting on you occasionally getting a mission that's poo poo and where the client basically lied to you and it's just not worth it so you bug out. Honestly I'm a little surprised there isn't a chance of the client just straight up tries to screw you over beyond the first one.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
This bloody game forced me to install and play MW:O for the first time in 5 drat years last night.

It was pretty good actually.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, I do to. I think the game is counting on you occasionally getting a mission that's poo poo and where the client basically lied to you and it's just not worth it so you bug out. Honestly I'm a little surprised there isn't a chance of the client just straight up tries to screw you over beyond the first one.

That's the sort of thing that sounds good in theory since it adds a level of unpredictability to the in-mission difficulty but in practice it just feels like you're kicking the player in the shins for believing the information they're given.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Both when you take what you think looks like a milk run and get overwhelmed, as well as when you think you're going to get a big haul so you ratchet up the salvage meter only to run into some mediums and shreks.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Yep that would be cool as hell, especially if there was a chance of a follow-up mission to get even with your client for the double-cross. Lots of interesting directions they can take the campaign and mission structure with relatively simple triggers. I think the engine is fairly solid which means most of the hard work is done. Scenario and contract diversity can be largely improved without touching the nuts and bolts of the combat layer (I think) which should allow for some great improvements in the future.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The problem with the system as it stands is that is discourages experimentation. Right now dropping into a 3 skull mission means taking my A team becuase I don't know if its a single demoliser and 3 mediums like I had once, or 8 mech mostly heavy+ which Ive had.

Though on the other side you can always tell a mission will be trvial if you get 5 salvage picks, thats a clear sign its garbage and take the money.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Dravs posted:

This bloody game forced me to install and play MW:O for the first time in 5 drat years last night.

It was pretty good actually.

Same, but MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xarbala posted:

That's the sort of thing that sounds good in theory since it adds a level of unpredictability to the in-mission difficulty but in practice it just feels like you're kicking the player in the shins for believing the information they're given.

Xarbala posted:

Both when you take what you think looks like a milk run and get overwhelmed, as well as when you think you're going to get a big haul so you ratchet up the salvage meter only to run into some mediums and shreks.

Aramoro posted:

The problem with the system as it stands is that is discourages experimentation. Right now dropping into a 3 skull mission means taking my A team becuase I don't know if its a single demoliser and 3 mediums like I had once, or 8 mech mostly heavy+ which Ive had.

Though on the other side you can always tell a mission will be trvial if you get 5 salvage picks, thats a clear sign its garbage and take the money.
Yeah, the mindset of "No see bad intel happens!" can only be relevant if there is good intel in the first place to compare it to. Which as you have both pointed out, we don't.

When you would lose next to nothing if you removed the skull indicators entirely (Unless you mod out the global spikes), that's a sign intel isn't implemented well. Throw in the flavor text being meaningless too with the infamous "I took full salvage and all I got was this lousy tank", and that's just a further nail in the coffin.

Then you hit the postgame. "Hmm this system is an entire list of 5 skull missions. Sure glad I got this intel to determine which may be harder than the other."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 24, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Managed to get some MP in finally, and holy poo poo does the balance of weapons stick out like a throbbing sore thumb. The view distance being as low as it is made long range weapons next to worthless; I ran a Fire lance, and couldn't even see the enemy until they were well within my max range. What's the point? Just roll everything close range brawler, it's so boring.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Managed to get some MP in finally, and holy poo poo does the balance of weapons stick out like a throbbing sore thumb. The view distance being as low as it is made long range weapons next to worthless; I ran a Fire lance, and couldn't even see the enemy until they were well within my max range. What's the point? Just roll everything close range brawler, it's so boring.

The stock Lances suffer a lot from wacky pilot choice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aramoro posted:

I got three assault mechs out of a 5 salvage mission

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fraction Jackson posted:

How do you like the mod?

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Has anyone, in the few weeks this game has been out, seen heavy lure where there was a battlemech as the lure, or something larger than medium in the support lance?

By the same token is there a toggle that makes assassinate missions only show up as like, Cicadas? I'm even picking 4 and 5 skull missions here

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Sensor Lock is really good in MP and you have not known pain until you have played against an opponent aggressively leveraging a range advantage against you from beyond your visual range.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Why is a 2.5 skull mission sending me up against five heavy mechs, two mediums and a light? The best I can field is three mediums and a heavy (and the heavy is a Dragon, which is more of a Medium+).

I think half the missions where reinforcements are supposed to show up later, they're spawning on top of the fight with full armor and structure and it's unbearable.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 24, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Why is a 2.5 skull mission sending me up against five heavy mechs, two mediums and a light?

I think half the missions where reinforcements are supposed to show up later, they're spawning on top of the fight with full armor and structure and it's unbearable.

The skull system is irrelevant, ignore it entirely. The variance is just too high for it to be a useful system. I like the fun between story missions, before a story mission a 3 skull might be a lance of mediums, after a story mission the same 3 skull mission will be a lance of heavies.

Apparently reinforcements are supposed to be there from the start. This seems to be pretty obvious a case of 'defect is feature', like it's totally broken but they maintain it's intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, after fighting several 4 skull assassinations and battles full of mediums and vehicles, I got my King Crab from a 3.5 I decided to knock off en-route to a story mission. It was an Assassination made up mostly of fully armoured heavies with the jackpot as the target.