Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was announced just over a week ago.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-dcs-young-animal-winds-down-for-now-but-doom-patrol-will-return/

edit: YA books ending that it. Hi new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Ugh those costumes are... not good. I sure hope they don't reset numbering ahhhh who am I kidding of course they will.

I hope Morrison works his magic with My Boy Kyle again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The solicit has Supergirl numbered as #21 and Catwoman is a new series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e: What Roth said.

Catwoman hasn't had a Rebirth series, so whatchoo gonna do?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

The solicit has Supergirl numbered as #21 and Catwoman is a new series.

Catwoman didn't get a Rebirth series so it makes sense.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Most DC trades are $6 at Comixology right now.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-1000-Memorial-Day-Sale/page/18466

I'm eyeing the Rucka Checkmate volumes. How good is that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rucka's Checkmate was really good!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

Most DC trades are $6 at Comixology right now.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-1000-Memorial-Day-Sale/page/18466

I'm eyeing the Rucka Checkmate volumes. How good is that?

If feels like a love letter mashup of Ostrander's Checkmate and Suicide Squad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Anything featuring Captain Marvel?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anything featuring Captain Marvel?

Shazam!: A Celebration of 75 Years
Shazam: A New Beginning 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
Shazam!: Monster Society of Evil
Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam: Mr. Mind Over Matter
Shazam! by Geoff Johns
Convergence: Infinite Earths: Book Two (Fully worth it for the Jeff Parker/Doc Shaner Shazam issues in there. Don't worry about the event.)
The Multiversity (2014): Deluxe Edition (Ditto for the 'Thunderworld' one-shot, but the whole thing is worth it.)

The 75th Anniversary sampler is great. Especially since it'll give you a taste of a bunch of series that don't have collections.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thanks a lot. I really want to support the Big Red Cheese.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't really care for Tynion's end to his Det run. Maybe cause I was just pretty over Tim by the end of the whole Future Tim/OMAC/Brother Eye thing.
Glad to see Clayface alive and seemingly still on the good guy path. Probably a low chance that anyone other than JT4 will pick up on the transgender doctor again, though.

edit: The Terrifics was a huge improvement this week. Shaner helps, but after the first three issues dragged a bit, glossing over a bunch of stuff and booting them out on a random adventure in space really helped kick it into the right zone.

ee: Seems like people are loving this Flash War issue. I gave up on the series after a couple of issues, but now I've bought all of the trades in this Comixology sale. Here's hoping I get into it this time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 23, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The ending of Detective Comics is almost worth it just for that resolution with Cassandra and Babs finally getting to connect, just as they actually should. A lot of other stuff did feel a bit too much like Tynion tying things up with a bow without quite earning it. 'Cuz apparently we're all good with Jacob Kane now? Did I miss the scene where we were good with that guy again? And yeah, Clayface is apparently alive again despite the story making absolutely sure to tell us in no uncertain terms that he was super duper dead for realsies no takebacks, so I guess we just get to sidestep the whole issue of Kate killing him? Despite the fact that no one on the team actually knows Clayface is alive so there's no reason they should be sidestepping it like they are?

And then there's a sense of Tynion just shuffling his pieces off the board without much fanfare and it's like...okay? Luke Fox is off now? Azrael is also off? And Tim and Steph are just gonna go..........somewhere? I feel like this would be a great opportunity for them to go find Conner and Bart or whatever, since they're talking about how they want to explore the ramifications of this altered timeline, but I haven't heard squat about anything like that happening, so as it stands it's just them literally riding off into the sunset for ambiguous reasons that the next writer may or may not ever follow up on.

Ah well. This run was still my biggest, longest-running must-read series out of Rebirth, so I'm still going to be really sad to see it end. With GLC and New Super-Man also ending, that's basically the end of every single run that's kept me rooting hard for Rebirth...unless the next Detective Comics writer really pulls out the stops.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 24, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tynion had a piece on his Tumblr about his run and Tim Drake.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just burned through Batman White Knight.

That comic has some pretty funadamental problems with its structure, plot, and characterization, but by the end I actually kind of liked it. As the story moved along and we got away from the very absurd “no actually joker is a hero guys” and into some more traditional Batman crime fighting and mystery solving plot beats I thought it was reasonably well told. Pacing was off, but that just helped the story move faster. And as an elseworlds, it at least lives in its own side universe where nobody really has to deal with anything out of it.

I don’t really recommend it, but my god the art is fantastic and just maybe worth the price of admission even if those first few issues are real bad.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

BrianWilly posted:

And yeah, Clayface is apparently alive again despite the story making absolutely sure to tell us in no uncertain terms that he was super duper dead for realsies no takebacks, so I guess we just get to sidestep the whole issue of Kate killing him? Despite the fact that no one on the team actually knows Clayface is alive so there's no reason they should be sidestepping it like they are?

In all fairness, the person who confirmed that he was super duper dead is the person who he's leaving Gotham with, so presumably she was in on the ruse.

I guess it was probably as good an ending as we can expect in this day and age, but I feel like the book really suffered in the later half with its continual focus on Tim and Kate. I will actually be kind of happy if Tim and Steph just go away for a while given how they were handled in this book, but everyone seems to think it's leading to a Young Justice relaunch.

I will be super upset if the Babs mentoring Cass stuff doesn't lead to anything, or this is the extent of their interaction and we're supposed to believe the tutoring is happening off-panel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

The ending of Detective Comics is almost worth it just for that resolution with Cassandra and Babs finally getting to connect, just as they actually should. A lot of other stuff did feel a bit too much like Tynion tying things up with a bow without quite earning it. 'Cuz apparently we're all good with Jacob Kane now? Did I miss the scene where we were good with that guy again? And yeah, Clayface is apparently alive again despite the story making absolutely sure to tell us in no uncertain terms that he was super duper dead for realsies no takebacks, so I guess we just get to sidestep the whole issue of Kate killing him? Despite the fact that no one on the team actually knows Clayface is alive so there's no reason they should be sidestepping it like they are?

And then there's a sense of Tynion just shuffling his pieces off the board without much fanfare and it's like...okay? Luke Fox is off now? Azrael is also off? And Tim and Steph are just gonna go..........somewhere? I feel like this would be a great opportunity for them to go find Conner and Bart or whatever, since they're talking about how they want to explore the ramifications of this altered timeline, but I haven't heard squat about anything like that happening, so as it stands it's just them literally riding off into the sunset for ambiguous reasons that the next writer may or may not ever follow up on.

Ah well. This run was still my biggest, longest-running must-read series out of Rebirth, so I'm still going to be really sad to see it end. With GLC and New Super-Man also ending, that's basically the end of every single run that's kept me rooting hard for Rebirth...unless the next Detective Comics writer really pulls out the stops.

Pretty sure azreal is going to be on a Justice league team

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The worst thing about the issue was putting lettering all over the cover when it's obviously a companion to the first, which just had the environmental title.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Pretty sure azreal is going to be on a Justice league team

i'm not familiar with azrael's recent history. is he still a caricature of '90s xxxtremeness that readers were supposed to hate? because if he doesn't have 3 belts i'm not sure if he's good enough to be on the justice league

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Darth Nat posted:

In all fairness, the person who confirmed that he was super duper dead is the person who he's leaving Gotham with, so presumably she was in on the ruse.
But the thing is then...why? Why the ruse? Why hide that Basil is alive, at least to the Gotham Knights crew? Everyone really liked him and would be glad to know that he's fine, even if he's leaving. The fact that Kate had to kill him made a great big rift in the team so it'd at least be nice to have that cleared up. As it stands, it just feels like tossing in a random tail-end to this character no matter how little sense it makes...and even then, it's not even very satisfying because the one person we would like to see Basil reunite with has to go on believing that he's still dead because...y'know. Just because. For reasons. v:v:v

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

A lot of other stuff did feel a bit too much like Tynion tying things up with a bow without quite earning it.

I think this was my main problem with the run in more than a few respects. The team aspect felt underwhelming at points to me, so a lot of the drama felt unearned when there wasn't much time with the team at their best or with them really playing off of each other.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the ending, either. I think Cass, Tim, and Kate all had pretty good journeys and it was a nice reflection of those. Cass' direction going forward seems like it's clearest to me considering she's staying in the book, even if she didn't get quite as much attention as she probably ought to have. The dangling thread of Shiva feels like it might just have been dropped, and her trauma over Clayface being basically undone by seeing into a timeline where she was written better is... meta. As great as the acknowledgement was, bringing up the character's shortcomings that way really just points out how not-great her development's been.

Obviously the same meta argument applies to Steph, but she got a pretty raw deal with the ending. She suddenly forgives and loves Tim despite him lying, doesn't care about college anymore, and her anti-Batman arc amounts to feeling like filler. Everyone else's choice on where they're going is highlighted as being theirs and about their growth as individuals, but Steph's is just being Tim's +1 in some sort of anachronistic "and the hero gets the girl!" material. Plus they couldn't even bother putting her on the cover over Azrael and Luke Fox? :v:

I think I still enjoyed it despite my gripes. Hopefully there are more shots at a regular Bat-team or Batfamily book, too. The one issue with the entire family assembled was definitely a highlight and I'd love more of that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eternity Girl is pretty drat good.

I hope she succeeds. :3:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Did John Stewart and Martian manhunter ever make peace? If so does anyone know what issue it is?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have they even met since Flashpoint? Apart from Bruce's party at the end of Metal, I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

The worst thing about the issue was putting lettering all over the cover when it's obviously a companion to the first, which just had the environmental title.

I'm lolling since I remembered someone here calling the Rebirth trade dress "minimalist".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have they even met since Flashpoint? Apart from Bruce's party at the end of Metal, I guess.

I mean in the old universe since manhunter was pissed at John due to his actions during cosmic odyssey

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

bobkatt013 posted:

I mean in the old universe since manhunter was pissed at John due to his actions during cosmic odyssey

I'm pretty sure they got over that since John was in the League for a while.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just finished No Justice 3. Colu got blown up? That stinks. Hope it doesn't spell doom for Brainiac 5 in the future.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The art in issue was pretty unappealing.

Starro was cool. Rip

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Roth posted:

Starro was cool. Rip

That dude can probably regenerate like a real starfish. So I'm sure he'll be fine...one day...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

Heh. I think Riley Rossmo's gotta be in my top 5 current comic art peeps.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

BrianWilly posted:

But the thing is then...why? Why the ruse? Why hide that Basil is alive, at least to the Gotham Knights crew? Everyone really liked him and would be glad to know that he's fine, even if he's leaving. The fact that Kate had to kill him made a great big rift in the team so it'd at least be nice to have that cleared up. As it stands, it just feels like tossing in a random tail-end to this character no matter how little sense it makes...and even then, it's not even very satisfying because the one person we would like to see Basil reunite with has to go on believing that he's still dead because...y'know. Just because. For reasons. v:v:v

I assume that the note he leaves Cass is to tell her that he's still alive. Kind of lame that we don't get to see her reaction, though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I finally got around to reading the large original Wildstorm retrospective that was done last year. A mixed bag as these things tend to be, but a few thoughts that occurred to me:

(1) Reading the Authority short Ellis did it struck me - and this might've been really obvious to other people but I only read the Authority sporadically so please forgive my slowness - that a reasonable interpretation of everything post-Ellis is that Sparks was the moral centre of the team, and that without her they lost perspective and went purely on impulse as to what felt right. That certainly seems like a reasonable interpretation justifying what we saw in Revolution and Coup D'etat (I'm going to pretend Millar's run doesn't exist), given they are only heroes at any time there because the villains are worse - and in the case of Revolution they had to make those old heroes fighting against the Authority comically racist to do so.

(2) Wildcats 3.0 seems like a counterpoint to Coup D'etat and Revolution. The latter two involved change (some of it positive but I'm really sceptical of the Authority's ability to create positive government stuff which they can't magic into existence by virtue of their powers) by coercion from without a system, Wildcats 3.0 positive change from within. The Wildcats also faced strident opposition from the corrupt parts of society, but the changes they made enjoyed more general legitimacy as they were perceived as being generated from within the system a reasonable proportion of the population already accepted. That might have translated into more enduring positive changes, but we didn't get enough of a post-3.0 Wildstorm U to explore that.

(3) For the reasons in (2) regarding the changes of the Wildcats, I wasn't a fan of Morrison's story in how it related to 3.0, although the story in itself was enjoyable.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Neurosis posted:

(1) Reading the Authority short Ellis did it struck me - and this might've been really obvious to other people but I only read the Authority sporadically so please forgive my slowness - that a reasonable interpretation of everything post-Ellis is that Sparks was the moral centre of the team, and that without her they lost perspective and went purely on impulse as to what felt right. That certainly seems like a reasonable interpretation justifying what we saw in Revolution and Coup D'etat (I'm going to pretend Millar's run doesn't exist), given they are only heroes at any time there because the villains are worse - and in the case of Revolution they had to make those old heroes fighting against the Authority comically racist to do so.

Yeah, it fits with how they were formed, too. Sparks was basically the one willing to make tough choices, but with the human touch.

quote:

(2) Wildcats 3.0 seems like a counterpoint to Coup D'etat and Revolution. The latter two involved change (some of it positive but I'm really sceptical of the Authority's ability to create positive government stuff which they can't magic into existence by virtue of their powers) by coercion from without a system, Wildcats 3.0 positive change from within. The Wildcats also faced strident opposition from the corrupt parts of society, but the changes they made enjoyed more general legitimacy as they were perceived as being generated from within the system a reasonable proportion of the population already accepted. That might have translated into more enduring positive changes, but we didn't get enough of a post-3.0 Wildstorm U to explore that.

Loved 3.0, I think you got something there. It likely ties in to Spartan's changing, something that was brought up in v2, as he grows, possibly into what Majestic meets in Moore's 'The Big Chill,' but at the least into something more than a battle android with the warped memories of a hero.

quote:

(3) For the reasons in (2) regarding the changes of the Wildcats, I wasn't a fan of Morrison's story in how it related to 3.0, although the story in itself was enjoyable.

Yeah it was more of a reboot. His story there was actually WildCATS v4, only the first issue (that one) ever came out. Definitely disappointing from a story perspective, I do admit I liked the energy behind some of it (Majestic's ominous . I guess, timing-wise, this was after he was off X-men, but already did the Filth, he was the 'revamp' guy for DC, and it was a year after All-Star Superman. He probably wanted to do some of the bigger names. In his Supergods WildCATS gets one line that basically says they're a copy of the X-men. I know when he started his Batman run he had read every Batman comic, it looks like he did the same with WildCATS, but they went back to the superhero root. It sounds like it might have been like Marvel's Illuminati, later on. Reading his 12 issue proposal is really interesting.

"'The new young heroes detect a distress signal coming from the Carrier - the headquarters of the Authority. When they go to investigate it turns out that the baby universe which powers the Carrier is growing. It's now an adolescent universe and has become unruly and dangerous, affecting even the minds of the Authority themselves with its furious, restless energy. Hadrian and the WildCats must intervene before the Authority wipes out the planet.
'You're telling me we have to get a universe laid?' Grifter asks Hadrian."

Ellis is a good guy to bring it all together, he did DV8, and knows Wildstorm's got stories to tell, and at the very least it's a training ground for writers or artists before they do the big guys or go do their independent stuff. It's just hard finding poo poo to be relevant about today that people want to read. For every Chew and Invincible there's a Ferals and Coyotes.

nofather fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 25, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/999997991191810048?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I get that it's just a writer loving with his boss, but if I made a top five Jim Lee probably wouldn't be in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I get that it's just a writer loving with his boss, but if I made a top five Jim Lee probably wouldn't be in it.

He's probably going on comics sold.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

He's probably going on comics sold.

There's probably a Chinese comic that sold more than X-Men 1, I know there's genre books from China that have outsold the Bible.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was just on Facebook, looking at a picture of Gerards' babies first comic con, and I've come to realize I'm a fan of comic dads. I'm not much into Bendis' writing these days, but he's still a top tier comic dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Every time Tom King posts being out and about I want to stalk where he lives and go hang out with him. I *think* he's in Capitol Hill somewhere.